Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
balthazarr

Default I blame the parents...

From: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...006301,00.html
(my emphasis)

Quote:
Teen thug sent to adult prison
SEAN FEWSTER, COURT REPORTER
December 23, 2009 06:30pm

FOR eight hours in December 2007, three boys terrorised the suburbs - stealing cars, pointing guns at people and robbing petrol stations - to earn some pocket money.

Aged just 14, 15 and 16, the brazen and aggressive trio showed utter disregard for the public, also destroying the door of a home and vowing to kill the family inside.

Yesterday they sat in stunned silence as the District Court ruled their "rampage" was serious enough to treat them as adults.

The eldest lost all composure when Judge Peter Brebner jailed him for nine years - and further ordered he serve half that time in an adult prison.

"You committed a simply staggering number of crimes to fund your drug-taking and have money in your pocket," he said. "The course of conduct to which you all contributed was simply outrageous and intolerable. Your crimes are very grave . . . you went on a wanton, violent and terrifying rampage."

The sentence reduced the youth's family to hysterical tears, and they hurled abuse at the bench. Judge Brebner ordered the other two youths - now aged 17 and 16 - serve minimum terms of 3½ years and three years and nine months, respectively. The trio pleaded guilty to 22 offences including aggravated robbery, threatening life and theft.

The 16-year-old was armed with a replica pistol while the 17-year-old used a tyre lever.

"The nature and number of crimes you committed displays your complete disregard for the safety of others and for the law," Judge Brebner said. "The only way I can ensure you receive the care and guidance you require in the future is to sentence each of you as adults."

They were assisted in some of their crimes by Scott Dwayne Graham, 26. Judge Brebner said Graham was intoxicated, but "should have known better". He was jailed for seven years and two months, with a non-parole period of four years and nine months.
Unbelievable. Rather than feel shame and remorse at their child's abhorrent behaviour, the family hurled abuse at the bench? IMHO, they should have been jailed for contempt.

balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

** WARNING** Violent and possibly illegal things may be contained in this reply. If easily offended, do not read this reply, but drink a cup of plaster of Paris and have a good lie down.

This MUST have had some lead in activity. Surely three little angels wouldn't have just decided "Hey! Let's get a replica pistol and a tyre lever and go on a rampage!". It'd betoo easy to say that the "friends and neighbours" should have sorted them out before this, but the families involved would just as likely have gone crying to the police themselves.
Old 24-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WE need more judges like that in victoria...

FOR SALE oil catch cans and cats back exhaust to suit BA|F GT. PM FOR MORE INFO
pitpal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Is it any wonder the kids have no respect and take no responsibilities for thier actions when Mummy and Daddy scream at someone with the power to throw them in the slammer! There are some a***hole parents these days! Eg, one kid I know of has parents that smoke away (drugs) all their Centrelink payments every fortnight and don't buy food for the year 8 kid or anything else for that matter. They even took the kids birthday presents (given to him by someone at his school) from him a week later and sold them to buy more drugs!! Unbelieveable!!!

So maybe in some cases that go to court (like the above article), the parents should be liable for the same sentence!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
Kryton

About time the courts started handing out some real time.
In Warrnambool, all of those offenses would have got you just 80 hours community service or if you were really unlucky, 3 months jail suspended for 2 years with a $100 fine.

Very good to see some real sentences handed out.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
Is it any wonder the kids have no respect and take no responsibilities for thier actions when Mummy and Daddy scream at someone with the power to throw them in the slammer! There are some a***hole parents these days! Eg, one kid I know of has parents that smoke away (drugs) all their Centrelink payments every fortnight and don't buy food for the year 8 kid or anything else for that matter. They even took the kids birthday presents (given to him by someone at his school) from him a week later and sold them to buy more drugs!! Unbelieveable!!!

So maybe in some cases that go to court (like the above article), the parents should be liable for the same sentence!
What future has that kid got with parents like that he would be real unhappy and should be having a lot of fun at 8 years old.

Judges do seem to be giving out better penalities these days
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Bout time someone got real time for there crime!

Those parents must be the lowest of low to hurl abuse at the bench, lock them up to i say!
Old 24-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Teenagers sent to jail for committing crimes, my God, what's the world coming to. They're just kids letting off steam, this is outrageous, what happened to warnings, community service orders and home detention.
Whats more staggering is that it was a Judge from Australia, this is the sort of knee jerk reaction you would expect from the States.
Yes I'm joking, rot in prison you little a holes.
Old 24-12-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

A contempt of court charge for the parents could have finished the day well for the Judge.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11
What future has that kid got with parents like that he would be real unhappy and should be having a lot of fun at 8 years old.

Judges do seem to be giving out better penalities these days
I've got bad news, the story I just told is the norm guys. I'm sorry to say but the fact is that an overwhelming amount of young kids are subjected to these kind of so called parents! And if you've worked with and or studied young peoples development, you'll also know that the odds are stacked against these kids ever being able to break the cycle. Most kids grow up like thier folks.

So the stupid mong*al parents are more to blame than the kids. Yes there is the minority exception (good parents with troubled kids) but when all is said and done, parents like the above article need to be held accountable. If their not, our future is stuffed, cause we have stuffed our kids.

Sorry end of rant!

I get a little passionate about this stuff cause my career etc is focused on giving these kind of kids positive role models etc. But my heart breaks for these kids in these families. Sorry.

Oh and the story I told was of a kid in year 8, which is 14 years old approx.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 24-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpal
WE need more judges like that in victoria...
Very well said.

I think it's just fact that some people should simply not be allowed to have kids of their own.....I just feel sorry for those parents, because they probably learned how to behave from their parents, who were most likely rude and abrasive, just as they were in the courtroom towards the bench....

Those kids never had a chance.

Bring back compulsory national service for 6 months when kids finish school...give all these hero kids who think they can do whatever they like a massive kick in the pants.....teach them some respect.....it would take a generation of change to really kick in, but my old man says that things used to be different back in the day LOL, to the point where you could leave your house unlocked with the front door open, go off down the street to the shops for an hour etc, and know that nothing would happen while you are gone.....can you imagine doing that today????

I'm only 25 and I work in an industry where we deal with a lot of kids from different backgrounds and situations......sometimes it is staggering how disrepectful some kids can be....
Old 24-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #12
gtfpv
GT

i'm all for national service , but not at the expense of my sons or daughters life .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #13
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i'm all for national service , but not at the expense of my sons or daughters life .
Nah not to send them to the front line or anything......but something similar to what they do in Singapore etc......basically 6 months bootcamp where they get the hell beaten out of them at the start, and yet come back like perfect gentlemen......
Old 24-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #14
boss-290

I agree, we need more judges like this. They are rather hefty sentences. Hopefully it will teach them.

The Parents are as disgraceful as the children.
Old 24-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt we need a national service to teach kids to behave, we just need stronger and better policing. And I'm not just talking about from law enforcement, I'm talking about in schools and the local community.

A problem child does something wrong, 9 times out of 10, its barely addressed. Teach them, that theres a line and make sure they know when they cross it.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 09:16 PM   #16
markof

National Service is probably not a bad option in this case. It would seem like prison to these youngies anyway, who if not complying to all demands of the military discipline, would end up in the brink anyway. If they managed to get through, hopefully would stay in, do trade qualification and may indeed make something of themselves. Win, win for all. Maybe wishful thinking, but you gotta be positive.
Old 24-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #17
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Natio's good idea. BUT first you have to get rid of the bleeding heart do-gooders.
Bring back corporal punishment in schools,fine parents who don't control and discipline their kids properly.
Give the coppers back what they had many years ago the discretion to boot a kids bum with #10 instead of having them hogtied the way they are now.
End rant.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #18
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

Instead of Hurling Abuse at the bench, maybe these parents should have hurled some discipline towards their children....
No excuse for these dropkicks to act like that , drugged, drunk or just a mistake...no excuse ...sentense is fitting ...Parents should also get a flogging for being a waste of space...

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #19
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
Nah not to send them to the front line or anything......but something similar to what they do in Singapore etc......basically 6 months bootcamp where they get the hell beaten out of them at the start, and yet come back like perfect gentlemen......
And the purpose that would serve is?...................
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Natio's good idea. BUT first you have to get rid of the bleeding heart do-gooders.
Bring back corporal punishment in schools,fine parents who don't control and discipline their kids properly.
Give the coppers back what they had many years ago the discretion to boot a kids bum with #10 instead of having them hogtied the way they are now.
End rant.
Well said. The yr 5 and 6 kids I try to keep under control are sooo very different to when I was in yr 5 and 6.

Some kids from previous years have gone on to do these sorts of crimes and are in tough special schools or detention centres... makes me sad yet angry at the same time.

Back then, when I swore or talked back, my mum gave the school full permission to wash my mouth out with soap.. literally.

The youngins I work with all say the cane isn't needed fresh out of Uni, after 6 months they agree with all the old schoolers that the fool who removed the cane from the class room should be hung from the flag pole.

Adults 'negotiating' with children... No wonder kids have balls the size of melons...

The judge should be applauded for their actions. Finally a decision that warrants the crimes. How DARE these little 'children of unmarried parents' do this to other people and then sook and cry when a person stands up to them and gives them what they deserve.

The parents should be in the cell next door for 6 months, that will give them some time to ponder the correct way to address a judge next time they find themselves in court.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #21
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good old Adelaide. setting the standard again, personally I would have loved to give them a whack in the back of the head with a shovel.

It all comes down to parents not disciplining their kids, discipline creates respect and an understanding that if you breach the morals set you will get punished.

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Teenagers sent to jail for committing crimes, my God, what's the world coming to. They're just kids letting off steam, this is outrageous, what happened to warnings, community service orders and home detention.
Whats more staggering is that it was a Judge from Australia, this is the sort of knee jerk reaction you would expect from the States.
Yes I'm joking, rot in prison you little a holes.
outrageous you say ......i have to disagree, threataning people with a tyre iron causeing destruction to property , robbing petrol stations, threataning people with a replica gun is not blowing off steam, had they got away with it where would there future escapades led them?
they have to know they do wrong .....there will be consequences, perhaps if the parent/s had taught them discipline a little better this would not have happened.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #23
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
End rant.
you hit the nail on the head MO, sadly it will probably get worse unless something is done.
Old 25-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #24
InTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
outrageous you say ......i have to disagree,
Perhaps read the whole post again, especially the last line. :

I'd wholeheartedly support a National service scheme. In principle it's not much different to work for the dole schemes but targets the youth.

And there's no need for them to be placed in frontline positions. Plenty of work in support roles, or emergency service response, such as SES.
Old 25-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #25
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These little *@%# have been running amok for way to long in adelaide about time they copped a decent slotting.. I love the little bit where poor little chookum's lost all his composure.. Sob.. Sob.. Suffer in ya jock's ya little creep!!..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #26
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
I agree. I love this country, but the last thing I would do, is commit my child to war for the interests of this country so his life can be traded for that of another, or for what ever cause the government deems worth dying for. This is not the middle east. We don't groom our children for war and to die for any cause or at the hands of any dictor. It should be his choice whether he enters the armed forces to fight for his country. Not the decision of the political party of the day.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTrail
Perhaps read the whole post again, especially the last line. :

I'd wholeheartedly support a National service scheme. In principle it's not much different to work for the dole schemes but targets the youth.

And there's no need for them to be placed in frontline positions. Plenty of work in support roles, or emergency service response, such as SES.
you are quiet right InTrail, my apologies Jaydee i missed that last bit.....my bad.
Old 25-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #28
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My idea of the national service for the youth is exactly a support and logistics one.
The idea being to give them the discipline factor of the military,the look after your comrades in the day to day routine of the job i.e. get in and help each other,don't sit back and bludge.
A sense of worth in that when you do good you get treated good,to instil a good work ethic. There is much more I could say re the above but you get the idea.
After a set period of time of natio's which I think should be a minimum of one year then give them the choice of staying on in the regular military.
If they decide to stay on then and only then will they be given the training needed for combat etc.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #29
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Good to see a judge finally give a REAL sentence. Kids can get away with murder (literally) and most adults can too. This is the start of what I'm hoping is a change for the good.
Old 26-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #30
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Completely disagree with forced military service!

The reasons for forcing offenders into the military (especially some of the ones mentioned here) is trying to treat the symptoms, not the cause! Sure it could be used as an option to jail time, but if we continue to punish JUST the kids for their behaviour, all we will achieve is more kids in youth detention, jails or community services. More MUST be done to treat the cause!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build