Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2019, 08:01 PM   #151
kellyvb

Default Re: Ford petition for dodgy powershifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Can you explain in a bit more detail when the shudder occurs. Does it do it straight away or after driving for so many minutes/hours ie when the engine/driveline gets hot? Does it occur only when you take off, ie in comparison to a manual only on first gear take off or does it do it when it changes up to higher gears ie first to second, second to third etc. Does it doing when slowing down or whilst driving or coasting at a steady speed like on the highway etc.

Is it worse when you drive up a hill with a bit of load or weight in the car?

From what you have said above and without knowing any other information, when the clutch really shudders on take off or under load up a hill is usually a sign of some sort of contamination like oil (be it engine or transmission) or even coolant on the clutch material which causes the material to slip on the pressure plate. I wonder if they had a good look around when they did the clutch or did they just replace the clutch without looking around.

Not saying that is exactly what you have, but from your description and the limited information, it could be one of the possible causes.

Do you mind sharing what dealer you have been going to?

It goes to Bayford Ford Coburg for the repairs.

The shuddering happens on acceleration or on hills (which is handy because I live in reasonably hilly area).
It can happen when the car is hot or cold, I would say it’s worse when warmed up though.

The recall is clutch and also transmission input shaft seal, so if that’s leaking that would be causing the shuddering wouldn’t it???

It also over revs sometimes.

Last time when the car went in, it had a faulty TCM which initially they weren’t even going to replace because they didn’t bother checking it, even though I had told them the car spontaneously fails to recognise gears which had left me in dangerous situations 3 times. So that’s how great the guys are there....

And now just after three weeks it’s slowly starting to shudder again.
kellyvb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2019, 09:02 PM   #152
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

The shuddering happens on acceleration or on hills (which is handy because I live in reasonably hilly area).

Just to clarify acceleration or on hills from stand still or even when you accelerate whilst moving?

You can also have engine oil leak or coolant leak contaminate the clutch that causes slip and thus shudder. Clutch shudder is basically a slipping clutch...
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-02-2019, 09:07 PM   #153
kellyvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post

Just to clarify acceleration or on hills from stand still or even when you accelerate whilst moving?

You can also have engine oil leak or coolant leak contaminate the clutch that causes slip and thus shudder. Clutch shudder is basically a slipping clutch...
Both, whilst moving and stand still.
Old 27-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #154
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Any contamination to the dry clutch plates will cause problems. Its just a crap design that was always going to have problems. Even build up of dust from the clutch plates can cause problems.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-07-2019, 06:39 AM   #155
The Lone Ranger
My young fella "Paddy"

Just wondering how this all panned for the op
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint Build # 705 in White
2019 XLT Ranger Super Cab 3.2 with 6 speed auto
Both Landaus now sold
The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2019, 09:36 AM   #156
kellyvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Just wondering how this all panned for the op

I ended up taking an offer and bought a different car
6 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #157
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyvb View Post
I ended up taking an offer and bought a different car
Thanks Kelly, I know you can't share much but glad to hear you've exited from such a terrible situation.
I know that all the AFF guys here support you and hope that you have better luck with your new vehicle.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #158
kellyvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Thanks Kelly, I know you can't share much but glad to hear you've exited from such a terrible situation.
I know that all the AFF guys here support you and hope that you have better luck with your new vehicle.
Thank you

I really appreciated all the help and information I received from the guys on here!
6 users like this post: