Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-02-2019, 10:22 PM   #1
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Voter beware

With the impending Federal election i thought i'd share an interesting experience i had today which may prevent something similar happening to any of you in future.

So to set the scene, here in SA we have a scheme within our vehicle registration system that allows for monthly direct debit payments to keep your vehicle's registered without having to remember every 3 or 12 months.
When we bought the Wifes Focus in January i put it straight on the above system and up until Friday all was ok.
Friday morning the next months payment was due to come out of my account but for some unknown reason it failed to do so and i recieved an email notifying me to contact services SA to rectify the issue.
So today i decided to pop into the local Service SA office.

I explained the email i'd received and the customer service officer looked into my account and said it was suspended due to an outstanding fine.
I was like what, i dont have any fines outstanding there must be a mistake.
Nope, you have a $510 fine outstanding from July 2018, we cant tell you any more but ring this number.

So i leave the office and get straight onto the fines dept of the SA Courts only to be told that i've incurred a fine for failure to vote at an election.
Straight away i got on the offensive because i knew this was BS.
I explained that it couldn't be right as i had voted and was told that i might have voted in the state election but forgot to vote in a federal election.
I said can you tell me which year i failed to vote in, 2018 i was told.
So with steam pouring from my ears i calmly said, with all due respects, we only have Federal elections every 3 years in this country and with one pending, dont you think it might be a little impossible for me to have failed to vote in one last year.
After a moments silence the person on the other end said, well yes, you have a point, it must be for the State election.
No bloody way i said, i know i voted because it was my Sons first time at voting and both my Wife and I accompanied him to the poll booths.
Oh well i was told, you'll either have to pay the $510 or pay us $24 to dispute it.
I said let me get this right, i have a fine for $510 for failing to vote in an election which i have witnesses who can place me in the poll booths on election day, i can either pay the fine even though i've not committed an offence, or i can pay you $24 to submit a dispute which i am unable to support with evidence other than word of mouth from my family because i get nothing by way of receipt from the volunteers at the polling booth to prove i've turned up and that they've done their job.
Thats correct i was told and that i could also contact AEC to plead my case.
So i thanked them sincerely for all their help...and rang the AEC.

I spoke with customer service officer, explained my case in detail including where i voted and with whom, they checked it all out and returned with the verdict that i was completely innocent of what i'd been accused of and that the fine would be withdrawn with zero cost to myself.

So i retuned to Service SA to explain the situation only to be told that because there was now less than 1 month until the vehicles registration expiry date they couldnt reinstate the payment plan and that i'd need to pay 3 months rego upfront to be eligible to have it put back on the plan.
So rather than pay $70 this month to contiune on as i had been i must now pay $200 which isnt a problem but when its not your fault it is certainly unfair.

Now i dont know about you guys, but from my perspective i believe that the fact you are required by law to attend a polling booth on election day and have your name crossed off their register, yet you receive no proof that you've done so and all it takes is an error on their behalf can result in you being inconvenienced as i have as farcical.
Could you imagine how much revenue they'd raise if they pulled this stunt on even 1% of the voting population.
I'll be getting a selfie with the good people from the AEC on polling day from now on.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post