Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Anyone else had new house horrors?

Please note don't mention builders names. I'm just interested in hearing what other people have experienced.

I moved recently and heres my list :-

- toilet * 2 leaking
- meter leaking (fixed myself)
- solar panel for hot water service leaked which made my ceiling collapse. Hot water was only on 2 hours :( Hopefully the builder will replace our damaged $900 table.
- laundry taps/pipes not affixed by anything but the plaster
- Window in front of my stove leaks
- Garage door wires weren't tight. 1st time I opened the door the cables removed themselves from the locks. (fixed myself)
- Garage door lock came out with the key when the key was removed (fixed myself)
- Ducted heating makes a weird noise. Sounds like a piece of paper or something touching the fan.
- House colors aren't what was selected during our meeting. Had to fight builder and got a few extras for free.

I'm sure there is more I've not found but what's your experience been like? i think my builders plumber should get the sack! I'm still in the process of having this all sorted via warranty. Hopefully sorted soon.

This is the 2nd house I've built and my 1st build was much smoother.

Brenden

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Alby1
you'd be popular too

Stories like this make me really dislike being in the trade, you work so hard for stuff all money trying to make owners happy and keeping a high reputation for yourself than there is always some bodgy "person" who brings us all back down again

Al
Alby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

It's been 3 years since we moved into our house.

While we are pretty happy, we had issues with the builder and it's QC. A very large well known builder in NSW and I guess Australia. I will not name the company, but I felt they were an above average builder and the quality looked much better than most at the display villages.

A friend in the building trade came through the house after we took the keys and picked any little detail he felt was not right, and marked them with a X in pencil. When we pointed this out to the building company they were not happy.

Example -

Downstair bathroom the gyprock warped and paint finish was poor. Builder came to us and said they will only fix it, if the fault can be seen in natural light. Since the bathroom is in the middle of the house with no windows, it's pretty hard to see, so tough luck. Wife kicked up a MONSTER stink and got this fixed.

Upstairs main bathroom. Cold water tap would only dribble out water. Builder blamed rocks from our water tank for blocking it. After 5 so attempts to blow out the so called rock. Builder said they would put a hole in the wall to look at the pipes and if there was no issue, the cost of getting it all fixed would be on our heads. (This is 6 weeks after moving into the house) Seems someone who had it in for the builder/plumber had crimped on the the copper pipes with bulk cutters, or something like that.

We had 2 shower heads break within 3 months. Cant blame the company for that.

Best one in my opinion was our water tank.

Our house is not on mains water.

We have a 60,000 odd litre water tank for drinking, showers, cleaning, etc. Which the builder require us to have 3/4 full and provide a petrol pump. No dramas from us.

Seems they kept the inspection lid/man access point off the tank and not only had dirt from the excavation dumped into our drinking water no doubt from a careless operator (explains the so called rock that blocked the copper pipe : ), but we found smoke packets, lighters, ropes, biscuit packets floating around.

You would think that because it was our source of drinking water, more care would have been taken.

Response from builder/manager. Our guys would not do that...............Must have been the water tank fairies.

Never got a sorry for any issues.

Not us, but a guy down the hill had paint and tins, dropped into his 100,000 water tank.............................................. ...........

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Mark s, I think we might have the same builder!!! Our downstairs toilets is the same. Builder said the only fix faults found in natural light. I asked if he could see a window in the toilet, no, so we have to use the light!! So they fixed it. One whole wall is warped, and the gas stove top is too close the the wall, with wooden trim, and has burned the wal!. Have fixed some thing so far. Most fixes for slack workmanship, just lazy work
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Could be David

I guess the issue is most major builders use cheaper labour as to make a bigger profit and end quailty it going to be an issue.

At the end of the day, it great to move into a new home, just like it's nice to own a new car. Still after spending all that money to have faults, it is a disapointment and you expect so much more.

Cheers
Mark

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Please note don't mention builders names. I'm just interested in hearing what other people have experienced.

I moved recently and heres my list :-

- toilet * 2 leaking
- meter leaking (fixed myself)
- solar panel for hot water service leaked which made my ceiling collapse. Hot water was only on 2 hours :( Hopefully the builder will replace our damaged $900 table.
- laundry taps/pipes not affixed by anything but the plaster
- Window in front of my stove leaks
- Garage door wires weren't tight. 1st time I opened the door the cables removed themselves from the locks. (fixed myself)
- Garage door lock came out with the key when the key was removed (fixed myself)
- Ducted heating makes a weird noise. Sounds like a piece of paper or something touching the fan.
- House colors aren't what was selected during our meeting. Had to fight builder and got a few extras for free.

I'm sure there is more I've not found but what's your experience been like? i think my builders plumber should get the sack! I'm still in the process of having this all sorted via warranty. Hopefully sorted soon.

This is the 2nd house I've built and my 1st build was much smoother.

Brenden
I hope you brought all this to the builders attention before handover, because they have to fix these sort of issues before they get final payment.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
Mulberry Laine

Im a plasterer by trade,and personally I wouldnt even consider buying a new home.All of them are slapped up without a care,and as cheap as possible to maximise the builders profit.There is no pride in workmanship nowadays,its all about the money.Ive been expected at times to cover some very shoddy wall frames and roof trusses,but refused as i do my job properly the first time.
IMO buy yourself an older place(cheap) and renovate.
Mulberry Laine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
CPOCSM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
I hope you brought all this to the builders attention before handover, because they have to fix these sort of issues before they get final payment.
Exactly - I bought up in Brisbane a while back and I had a bit to get fixed by the builder before I would take the keys. The worst things were the fence was not finished(well it was according to the builder - just wasnt attached to the posts!!) and the garage door wasnt even bolted in - just sitting on the bracket without anything holding it but a wood wedge.

He demanded the final $40000 and I said not until all the bits and pieces were fixed. He threatened me and got his solicitor brother onto me - I sikked my solicitor onto his and him...funny the stuff was all fixed...although I only paid him $30000 as the fence was still not done and the rubbish pile builders always seem to try to hide had to be removed. Personally builders are low lifes...they want top dollar for a s h i t e attempt. :

You have all the aces when you build...stand up to them and demand it be fixed - thats why you withold payment until the job is done and you are perfectly within your rights to put that in your contract - might be different in the southern states however I never pay up front - always wait for the job to be completed before you take ownership

Never again will I build - I will buy an established home instead
CPOCSM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 11:46 PM   #9
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Brenx, it sounds like your plumber needs his licence taken of him. if he has one.

i am just getting quotes to build a house on my block. these stories make me nervous. lol.

any tips from builders or people who have had a house built would be much appreciated.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 11:51 PM   #10
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We built with a well known builder in the Sth East of Melbourne and will never deal with this company again nor would we recommend them.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 12:16 AM   #11
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
i'm not sure about this . when i built 9 years ago , legal gurus told me not to hold back any payment at any stage as the builder will just put your house on hold , while you rent and take them to court . can take years.
best bett . truly from the heart is . if the damage or faulty workmanship is less than 10 grand , than do it yourself or find a sympathetic handyman who will do it . otherwise courts and builders will screw your head for months if not years . the law is on thier side unfortunately.
if i built again i would bribe the supervisor with cash before the slab was laid . thats what will only possibly work . $2000 upfront off the books , with a another $2000 on completion , under the viso that he listens to what you want and are happy with during construction.
i was lucky 10 years ago because there was no boundary fences erected , so i was able to assist with construction and rectify o lot of unsatisfactory work. aside from the stress of all this , i feel i may have got a better result with a bribe 1st up.

this is my theory.

aside from this i seen 1st hand a loit of shoddy work when i was building i was also checking heaps of houses under construction, one plumber left the taps running when he inserted the bath in a 2 storey house over the weekend . ruined the whole ceiling , of the 1st floor and waterlogged everything . this was an unsold house and land package deal that an unsuspecting buyer would've bought when it was completed .
one owner i know was upset about the upstairs floor boards not being sanded causing extreme missmatching edges . the builder sanded it level for him , groung so much off one of the warped floor boards that after completion someones foot went through the floor.
another buyer bought a 2 storey home with flexible flooring and creaking upstairs , the owner was so so stressed and had monster spews at the builders to fix under warranty , when they were attempting the repair , the owner was complaining that this is only a bandaid repair and dropped dead on the spot .

this is why i say . you must know a little about building if your going to build , and be prepared to change or improve a contract before signing at your cost . also then give the builders starting with the supervisor some generosity, because they may well be screwed over by the company they are working for .
it's a tough game . truly .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #12
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
Brenx, it sounds like your plumber needs his licence taken of him. if he has one.

i am just getting quotes to build a house on my block. these stories make me nervous. lol.

any tips from builders or people who have had a house built would be much appreciated.
pm me if you want advice . i have a lot .
Old 11-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

My parents recently finished building. 44sq house with a well known builder and def FAR from the basic standard of inclusions. When they were doing the pipe work in the floor cavity of the 2nd storey my dad suggested the plumber test it for leaks when done, and before the ground floor ceiling went up.

He was replied to in a most condescending manner. Something about him knowing his job etc etc blah blah. Dad insisted again, plumber didn't budge.

Mum eventually broke up the argument and it was left at that. Not tested however.

Ceiling went up, water turned on... ceiling cavity of the dining room flooded then brought down / ruined about 30sqm of ceiling...

Plumber was still there doing other work, dad wasn't, which was lucky as the result would have meant one of them would be in hospital and the other on the way to the local cop shop bruised and bleeding.

Oh, and the leak was as obvious as day...

In regards to building. What peeved me off most when hand over was done was that their 'finished' is VERY different to what your 'finished' may be.

Crap all over the place, pump for rainwater tank not installed, and about 30 other things picked up within the first 2 minutes. But according to the phone call from the builder, work was finished and the house ready to inhabit.

Going over building contracts with your own legal representative is a VERY good idea. Also, fully explaining what 'finished' is (and what it isn't) should be agreed to and signed by both parties.

I would also put a clause mentioning that unfinished work X weeks after the promised due date allows you to be compensated financially... seeing as you are probably paying rent and living out of boxes. Just as they would charge you interest or penalties if you were late with payments etc.

That's an interesting idea gtfpv, my brothers a tradie and with all the dodgy dealing and people he interacts with on a weekly basis it will probably get the desired outcome.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #14
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We built a new house, garage and pool, and finished last year. The only problems have been - guess what - leak from shower recess, leaks from loose pipes etc. Drains in wrong places, sewer pipes at wrong levels.

One pipe laid a foot higher than it should have. Would have come out in the middle of the garage floor slab. Plumber turned out not able to read a plan.

Alarm installer brought his dog into the home just after new wooden floors had been laid and sanded. Dog peed on floor and he stubbed his fags onto the floor.

My advice is to plan everything beforehand, include a clause in the contract that prevents eating, smoking and dogs on site, watch the plumbers, dont pay for works not done well, question the quality of stuff you dont understand.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #15
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most if not all the issues we've had were all after settlement.

To make my Bathurst w/e even better the solar panels for my hot water burst again yesterday due to the plumbers quality work. I think a 1st yr apprentice must have done the work. Of course the supplier and the builder don't work after 5pm Fridays so we had to hire a local plumber the fix the issue and we will be billing the builder for the cost the repair. The plumber who came said the quality of the workmanship was a joke :(

Since climbing up on the roof I've found broken tiles with silicone holding them together!!!!! They must have a quality tiler. One more thing for the 3mth warranty list.

The builder still hasn't finished our landscaping either. I'm feeling I may have take a day off work to round up the building manager again and threaten violence as I've already done when we had other issues sorted.

We went through and did our final inspection picked about 50 issues mainly paint. Painter had sanded runs and it was obvious which I personally showed the state manager. Gave them three weeks before I moved in and I'm still having plenty of issues.

My 3mth warranty list will be very long :(

The worst thing is for me is I have 4 display home being build right next door. I'm contemplating a sign with all the issues I've had/have written on it.

We've also contacted our insurance regarding plumbing/plastering work.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #16
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been a tiler for 30 years. and i have never seen so many pathetic 3rd rate builders as in the last 7 years. absolute low life scum. it is that bad that i would never of thought it would come to this disgraceful state.
cunning lying tossers actually smile about it.
Back 20 years ago you could go out the back and sort a moron out like that, and he would learn to be up front and true. not just treating every one like dirt. and walking all over you. telling a tradesman how much he is going to pay you. and if there is extra expense involved to do the job right they will not pay you for it.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #17
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
I have been a tiler for 30 years. and i have never seen so many pathetic 3rd rate builders as in the last 7 years. absolute low life scum. it is that bad that i would never of thought it would come to this disgraceful state.
cunning lying tossers actually smile about it.
Back 20 years ago you could go out the back and sort a moron out like that, and he would learn to be up front and true. not just treating every one like dirt. and walking all over you. telling a tradesman how much he is going to pay you. and if there is extra expense involved to do the job right they will not pay you for it.

Thats the problem the amount of work they dont pay trades for .
If you want a house built well find a good private builder a multi national company will not provide this . You get what you pay for
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #18
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry Laine
Im a plasterer by trade,and personally I wouldnt even consider buying a new home.All of them are slapped up without a care,and as cheap as possible to maximise the builders profit.There is no pride in workmanship nowadays,its all about the money.Ive been expected at times to cover some very shoddy wall frames and roof trusses,but refused as i do my job properly the first time.
IMO buy yourself an older place(cheap) and renovate.
That's a bit of an outlandish call to make. I take a mountain of pride in my work, as do all the other trades i ever used and worked along side. I think it's like anything, there are always going to be some with a higher skill level and greater passion for what they do and they'll produce the best work. But, you can't think someone is going to continue to produce the same quality of finish when they are asked to do it for half the rate. Cheap's cheap for a reason.
When you're paid top money, and given quality materials to work with, it's a start towards a great result. My stick frame rate is close to double what a mate was getting through one of victorias biggest volume builders. They are supplied with the bare minimum of rubbish materials, to complete the job to the minimum spec possible to comply with Aus standards.

A smaller custom builder relies on his reputation. Their next job comes from their last job, and people who are pretty specific in what they want are much better accomodated. Volume builders build to a price, they work on minimum profit margins and therefore work with the cheapest of the trades and materials to achieve a price that makes them more apealing than the next bodgy builder. A large volume builder will run a margin for about 5 - 10%. A small custom builder will be between 20% and 30%. They know their service is at a premium, and will usually be premuim.

And yes i know there are exceptions to this generalisation. But more often than not that's how it goes.

And as for dealing with shoddy plumbing and electrical, bring the plumbin industry board into it, or the electrical commissioner. These morons need to be dragged. And both governing bodies are more than happy to do it. Brenx, if they did an audit on your house the plumber would have copped a flogging. I'm still at a loss to know how this stuff happens? After everything is piped out at lock up stage the system is supposed to be pressurised by a pressure tester connected at 1 outlet. If it drops pressure in 5 minutes they look for a leak source. Then when everything is fitted off at the end of the job it should all again be observed with mains pressure to ensure no leaks, and observed performing it's operationg cycle to make sure there are no problems.

There are still plenty of top notch builders and trades out there, they just don't all have million dollar marketing budgets.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #19
Alby1
you'd be popular too

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
That's a bit of an outlandish call to make. I take a mountain of pride in my work, as do all the other trades i ever used and worked along side. I think it's like anything, there are always going to be some with a higher skill level and greater passion for what they do and they'll produce the best work. But, you can't think someone is going to continue to produce the same quality of finish when they are asked to do it for half the rate. Cheap's cheap for a reason.
When you're paid top money, and given quality materials to work with, it's a start towards a great result. My stick frame rate is close to double what a mate was getting through one of victorias biggest volume builders. They are supplied with the bare minimum of rubbish materials, to complete the job to the minimum spec possible to comply with Aus standards.

A smaller custom builder relies on his reputation. Their next job comes from their last job, and people who are pretty specific in what they want are much better accomodated. Volume builders build to a price, they work on minimum profit margins and therefore work with the cheapest of the trades and materials to achieve a price that makes them more apealing than the next bodgy builder. A large volume builder will run a margin for about 5 - 10%. A small custom builder will be between 20% and 30%. They know their service is at a premium, and will usually be premuim.

And yes i know there are exceptions to this generalisation. But more often than not that's how it goes.

And as for dealing with shoddy plumbing and electrical, bring the plumbin industry board into it, or the electrical commissioner. These morons need to be dragged. And both governing bodies are more than happy to do it. Brenx, if they did an audit on your house the plumber would have copped a flogging. I'm still at a loss to know how this stuff happens? After everything is piped out at lock up stage the system is supposed to be pressurised by a pressure tester connected at 1 outlet. If it drops pressure in 5 minutes they look for a leak source. Then when everything is fitted off at the end of the job it should all again be observed with mains pressure to ensure no leaks, and observed performing it's operationg cycle to make sure there are no problems.

There are still plenty of top notch builders and trades out there, they just don't all have million dollar marketing budgets.

Well said
Alby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #20
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty

indeed very well said
Old 12-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #21
gtfpv
GT

lots of things are well said here . but the problem is , that customers usually rely on tradies to do a job that the tradie knows how to do , not the buyer .
most customers go into a display centre and fall in love with a house and put a dep down . they think that the display homes standard is what they will get . why wouldnt they . they dont realise that the display home probably costs about 20% more to build then the one they are going to get in quality , not presentation.
it's blatent false advertising.
here lies the problem . explanations wont and have never fixed this main problem , which starts as soon as an unsuspecting , trusting deposit is paid .

i think pre warned and forwarned , then steps taken 1st to prevent dissapointment , is the key here . most people only have stories to tell after the deposit is paid . by then the contract is signed and it is already going to be what it will be .

the key is knowledge . nothing is invested toward customers in this way. its a shame but builders and companies should be bound by some sort of law to tell prospective buyers of what the AUSTRALIAN STANDARD REALLY IS . . remember those russian cars that came out about 10 years ago . lasted about 6 months in aus , most of them broke down or caught fire . this is australian standard when it comes to houses . thats where one sghould be informed he is starting from , then they should have option b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j -k . for the same house with optional standards . if customers were actually made aware of this , better quality homes would be built , and people would build smalller or pay more for the desired quality .
i'm really ashamed to hear that this is getting worse . it doesnt say much for respect in this country.

byt the way it is not always the builders fault , immigrants being brought to a job site to work for less kills morale in the building industry, the last thing you want is someone building your house that hasnt been paid for a few weeks from his previous jobs. or has a massive grudge agianst his boss.

Last edited by gtfpv; 12-10-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #22
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep had a lot of problems with one builder - however some of the tradies were fanatasic, other unfortunately let the industry down and there collegues. Was originally advised the house would have been completed by Christmas, ended up running late (moved in the following August - only after I said I am moving in one way or another - which was a mistake on my behalf as then I had to take time off work, let the trades in tidy up etc)

I had 3 ceilings collapse (at three different times) Had 3 different ceilings with large amounts of water damage (again at different times) had a bad batch of roof tiles, they probably inspected my roof apporx. 15 time replacing broken tiles at different stages.

Had the solar water system fittings fail twice which isnt good when we are in a drought and drinking water is going down the drains.

I have a tiled front enterance, which looks like rubbish (not the tilers fault a lot of trades would walk through the clay then into the house, as a result the tiles and grout look very ordinary, at one stage you couldnt see the tiles in the main areas as they were sitting under a couple of mm of clay) Spent ages trying to clean it up, but you can still see it. Have a few mates in the building industry and they said with the builders they work with you would only do that once and ou would find yourself out of a job.

Had numerous other issues wont bother going into detail (too annoying) My advise document everything take photos, and never take someones word - get it in writing I would also look for a custom builder as opposed to a large volume builder.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #23
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

It seems the way the world is going these days where everything is on contract and NO person working on your home actually is from the home building company.. So they are basically agents for building houses..
We have not too long ago had two bathrooms renovated and top line kitchen done..
We had to keep an eye on EVERYTHING they ordered and fitted.. In most cases wrong styles, different taps, different spa, etc,etc
You have to on them the whole time..
When they did the granite top in our kitchen they ground it inside the house and used our linen to clean .. Sheesh !!! did my Mrs give them some!!! Granite dust all through the house and half our linen was used .. From towels to our own bed sheets..
Yea they replaced them and some !! Trust me you wouldn't want my Mrs after you.. Lol...
A new house is still better than an old fibro house though..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #24
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

My girlfriend and I want to buy or build our first new home sometime soon, but reading this kind of detracts from the whole experience. We have looked around and display homes, and with us came my girlfriends father, a licensed plumber. The amount of things he pointed out that were wrong in the display homes didn't instill much confidence in me. Reading this thread brings that confidence level down even further.

Are there any suggestions for a decent builder in Brisbane?
Old 12-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #25
winkle

We built 3.5 years ago with my brother who is a small private builder, and he is also a qualified master builder. Sure we had a couple of minor problems, mainly with the quality of the painting. But in the main were pretty happy. As mentioned, private builders rely 100% on their reputation, so have a vested interest in keeping you happy. These fellas generally don't advertise, and are generally dearer than the big building companies, but it's worth it in my opinion. They generally use the best subbies/tradies they can get, and usually have long term relationships with them. I know that the roof tiler and painter my brother used on our house were both below his expectations, so he hasn't used them since. You hear plenty of horror stories about lots of builders, but it's funny that the best builders are always busy, without advertising. My brother doesn't even have a sign on his ute or trailer.
winkle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 09:43 PM   #26
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkle
We built 3.5 years ago with my brother who is a small private builder, and he is also a qualified master builder. Sure we had a couple of minor problems, mainly with the quality of the painting. But in the main were pretty happy. As mentioned, private builders rely 100% on their reputation, so have a vested interest in keeping you happy. These fellas generally don't advertise, and are generally dearer than the big building companies, but it's worth it in my opinion. They generally use the best subbies/tradies they can get, and usually have long term relationships with them. I know that the roof tiler and painter my brother used on our house were both below his expectations, so he hasn't used them since. You hear plenty of horror stories about lots of builders, but it's funny that the best builders are always busy, without advertising. My brother doesn't even have a sign on his ute or trailer.

That pretty well sums it up , Problem is a good private builder will cost you a 100k more then a volume builder , But in my opinion if you can afford it do it.
Most of them build it above australian standards and build it to last .
When they come to me to plaster it they say how much do want to do this house and how long do you need , An i quote it for a top job and to come back at patch up little nicks after other trades have put in after i have finished .
Now lately i been working for volume builders they come to me say this is what we will pay you and this is how long you have to do it .
Now it always not enough cash and never enough time. So its rush rush and cut corners where you can .
The other difference between the two is generally the private builder is on site to fix problems you may come across while working , The volume builder When i find a problem you get oh we will fix it later . See in there contract there is a time limit for them if they go over it they have to pay you but there is no time limit for them to fix stuff. An in that time 90 % is hidden and the hope you dont notice it .
But when handover comes check everything taps ,doors , carpets ,selves or pay some one to inderpendently inspect it . This is a growing business ex builders you pay to find problems for you . (New house inspector)
An for the few in this thread that have said the won't build a new house they will buy one , 97% are still built by volume builders and then there older and not built to last so your stuffed either way.
Bribing a supervisior will only get you a better standard of hiding problems .
Old 13-10-2009, 01:39 AM   #27
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

the two builders i have quoting for me are both independant guys who own the business and work on and manage the project so i guess that makes me a step ahead to start.

not many builders to pick from around here though who are wanting to come to Miriam Vale to work.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #28
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
That pretty well sums it up , Problem is a good private builder will cost you a 100k more then a volume builder , But in my opinion if you can afford it do it.
And therein lies the problem. How many of those posting in this thread will be willing to spend that extra $100k to make their home perfect. I'm willing to bet none.

As much as everyone wants perfection and quality, they aren't willing to pay for it. And as long as that is the case, these volume builders will continue to exist with their shoddy work.

A friend who is a private builder was asked to quote on building one of the Henley 40+ square mansions. Henley wanted $215,000 for the building. His quote was $400,000 for the same with a couple more quality inclusions. But obviously overall the materials were of better quality and the time spent was longer. The whole house would have been built 10x better than Henley ever wish they could.

In the end the people asking for the quote said get stuffed, it was too much.

I feel sorry for the people that come across these problems in what should be one of the biggest joys in their lifetime. But get real, you can't expect perfection when you are paying a price that barely covers the building costs.

Unfortunately and ultimately, this just breeds a league of bad tradies who continually think they can just get away with it.

When I bought, I wanted to buy new. But the stories and trouble I just couldn't stomach. So I ended up buying existing, and I couldnt have asked for better. Its an older house, but I have a double brick 2 storey, oak floors throughout, and where there is a frame, its all hardwood. I have one crack on an internal wall from the current weather and soil.

My mate who just moved into his brand new home 2.5 weeks ago already has 5 cracks, in addition to the list of warranty problems ranging from taps to paint to someone forgetting the ceiling insulation.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #29
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79
I feel sorry for the people that come across these problems in what should be one of the biggest joys in their lifetime. But get real, you can't expect perfection when you are paying a price that barely covers the building costs.

Correct but in reading some of the comments I think others might have been like me and knew we wouldnt get perfection - however i think we were surprised just how bad the building process was in our experiences. I expected problems (I have mates that are builders and they advised me what to expect and customers being unrealistic etc) But at the end of the day we were all surprised at the amount of problems and the re occurence of problems.

I also paid extra to buy a so called better quality home from a volume builder (which was my mistake) but I certaintly didnt pay anything like what you quoted.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #30
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

We didn't build but we might as well have, whole house was renovated to brand new specs and walls removed etc. We used two private Italian builders who did a spectacular job. Dad negotiated to pay 30,000 cash and have his builder mate supervise and they performed spectacularly, nothing we weren't happy with. Our bathrooms where done by a private plumber and tiler, and the only fault we had was a piece of cornice fell away from the ceiling. The plumber came in straight after dad called him, 7.30 on a Friday night ON HIS BIRTHDAY and fixed it at no cost. We where so amazed we offered him dinner and are now mates with him!
Our sparky was great, he's a mate of mine only a second year but very high quality work. Our landscaping cost 40,000 and it shows! Our landscaper did a high quality job no hiccups and no rubbish left. We only complained about our roof as it leaked on the join of roof to granny flat. Was not fixed at all we are still in legal action against them.

Goes to show not all builders are shoddy. We spent top $$$ getting the best of the best and shopped around for them. It paid off big time.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post