Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-08-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Have I Missed Something?

The sheer number of unhappy people I've encountered in recent weeks, surprises and concerns me. (And they are not unhappy simply as a result of meeting me...)

All walks of life, the demographic as observed seems to be approximately 40-65, gender irrelevant.

What the heck is going on? Is it something on TV or social media that's feeding this undercurrent?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #2
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 
Default Re: Have I Missed Something?

I notice you've been "shopping" around for quite a few things recently.. I'd ask, does anything change if you stop haggling and agree with their preferred price?

JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I often actually end up buying something - as opposed to those who talk it up then spend nothing. :P (I don't envy your side enterprise one iota!)

But my topic is serious; it's disturbing to encounter so many people presently disposed to melancholy.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

In terms of what I could earn by doing overtime at work, these devices don't make me any real money (and one of the models doesn't really earn me anything). But I'd rather do what I enjoy in my own time than do more of my day job.

Yes, and meet a happy person because of it.

My nightmare may actually be too many requests all at once. That isn't happening, so I'm happy to assemble one every now and again. Anyway, it's nice to know I can send out another one quickly if someone has trouble with theirs, as long as they agree to send any troublesome one back.

I dunno about your topic though, seems I'm meeting happier people.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #5
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
What the heck is going on? Is it something on TV or social media that's feeding this undercurrent?
Yeah, probably both, along with the state of the economy and cost of living, and people feel the politicians have lost touch with the ordinary person. I think the Climate change religion has taken over as well - people are not versed in the facts. Free speech doesn't seem to be allowed anymore either.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #6
.:4:.
Kicking back

One thing i have noticed, now this is a general statement. People want to be heard, but dont want to listen. Just self centred kind of stuff. Want everybody to hear about a crap go but dont listen to others or care about others, then wonder why others dont listen to them or care. I was talking to a receptionist about clients and the general consensus is you ask how are you, nobody cares how you actually are. A simple good thanks regardless is all thats needed.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
JasonACT
Away on leave

That might be true. We have a cafe at work, the ladies always ask "how are you" and I always reply like that and then also ask how they are before placing my order. I don't often hear that from the people in front of me. I usually end up getting "over served" though. I can never finish my lunch.

@Ol' Bender - see, it is you!
Old 04-08-2019, 02:22 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
The sheer number of unhappy people I've encountered in recent weeks, surprises and concerns me. (And they are not unhappy simply as a result of meeting me...)

All walks of life, the demographic as observed seems to be approximately 40-65, gender irrelevant.

Economic slowdown in Melbourne - people are hardly spending, what money is around has to be fought for tooth and nail, negligible wage growth, cost of living, I speak to Repco/Burson and workshops Victoria wide Monday-Friday and I'm always scoping out the play, there's hardly anything going on anywhere - just the very essentials in the auto industry anyway.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #9
roKWiz
Cabover nut

It is $$$ydney, C.B.

Give em a break, most of them are having sleepless nights thinking about how they're going to pay for the 750 000 mortgage, kids private school education, commuting and all the other crap they are in debt with.

I keep saying move to the country mate.

edit...either that or its all the crying on reality TV shows getting to them.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2019, 06:58 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The world is going to stool.... (the other word I wanted to use would have got removed).

* People in units worried about cladding.
* People in jobs worrying about job security.
* People wanting to buy a property can't.
* Older people with cash invested are losing money.
* Tomorrow I can 'decide' to be a woman if I so choose.
* Younger people living with their parents into their 30's.
* As soon as we buy our new phone the next model has just been released.
* Many couples end in divorce - a soul destroying experience in itself.
* People are scared to spend due to uncertainty.
* Online platforms make us anti social by nature - we are starting to no longer know how to actually interact with humans.
* Information overload makes us confused. 1 week it's OK to eat this, the next week it's killing us.
* Turn on the news - nothing but killers, con artists and rapists getting light sentences but do something trivial and you get hammered.
* More and more people making money from nothing and losing it and more.
* Men not having relationships from fear of losing the lot.
* the 'green' agenda and its implications.
* 2 parents working full time to just scrape through - ever increasing bills for power, water, gas, fuel, food, transport, insurance, entertainment, holidays etc.
* Those with loans are enjoying record low interest rates while also watching their property drop in value.
* We need to watch everything we say and do in case it offends someone - and be ready to apologize because its cheaper to do so than fight for the right to free speech.
* We are walking around expected to be conned, lied to, scammed, ripped off, tricked and manipulated - so much so that the last honest people are being looked upon with great fear and trepidation that they are actually fake and lulling someone into a false sense of security.
* No one seems to take pride in their work or their word any more.
* ME ME ME rules the roost at any expense.
* We are being tracked, watched, listened to, spied upon and scrutinized by various organisations for our 'benefit'.
* People worried about their parents because we are living longer thanks to science and medicine.
* People worried for their kids because of all the above.

There is probably more....

How many of the above directly effect or concern you?

Do you blame people for being unhappy?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 04-08-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2019, 07:03 PM   #11
JasonACT
Away on leave

Just checking back in, what have I missed? (Sorry, I was just off for a while slaughtering my own lamb for dinner!)

Last edited by JasonACT; 04-08-2019 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Edit: Oh, that might be a Canberra thing?
4 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2019, 07:24 PM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Good stuff - and I'm a vegetarian of 30+ years. The tragically low price of good Aussie meat at the supermarket is something which bothers me - I can buy fresh beef to feed the cat (he gets 85g/day) for a pittance. Underpaid farmers can't afford good land care.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2019, 07:31 PM   #13
JasonACT
Away on leave

I haven't eaten beef since 2007. I did dice up two half lamb legs for tonight's curry though... Which will last me the next fortnight (along with the paprika chicken dish I made last night). It was my cooking weekend.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2019, 07:47 PM   #14
JasonACT
Away on leave

Almost done:

4 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2019, 08:20 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonACT View Post
Almost done:

Looks bloody good mate.

Just don't show it to a vegan in case you offend them

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2019, 08:20 PM   #16
marty351
Shenanigans..............

I can smell it from here.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2019, 08:30 PM   #17
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Clearly a home-made sauce; not overcoloured and starchy.

Had (potato) curry myself tonight. Must be the season for it.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #18
marty351

Love a good aloo gobi.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #19
94_ef

Curry season extends into summer, autumn, winter, and spring.
1994 Ford ED Falcon GLi wagon. Discovered my love for Ford 4L.
94_ef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2019, 09:31 PM   #20
marty351

That being said, curry IS the season.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2019, 10:19 PM   #21
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonACT View Post
Almost done:

Bender needs a Citroen beside him...

Ed
Old 04-08-2019, 10:27 PM   #22
JasonACT
Away on leave

Last edited by JasonACT; 04-08-2019 at 10:28 PM. Reason: It's one of my favourite quotes :)
3 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2019, 08:06 AM   #23
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Cracked it, they're all urbanized grey nomads.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post