Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What is it with people.

hey guys so angry, i have a 15month old focus sports and after 3 weeks of owning it someone scraped the passenger side rear quarter and grazed it. Now i go outside and look at the car only to see someone has scraped the drivers side, this time its pushed in the metal near the fuel filler and scraped all down the bumper. I mean wtf there was no notes left on both incedents and thats part reason why i got a smaller car was so no one would hit it. No one ever hit my other buckets of crap why this new car?
Anyway can i get insurance to fit it since it was obviously done in a shopping centre carpark, my insurer is rac?
ps its stressfull owning a new car, i might go back to an xf falcon.

damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: What is it with people.

Insurance will cover it but most likely you will have to pay the excess.

When my old man took his new Mazda 323 home at the time, my next door neighbors grandparents reversed right into it in our driveway and smashed in the door in the first week he had it.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
GULL
TuRbO

New cars are a pain and very stressful when left on their own in public ,and even every day driving ,but people just don't give a
Old 25-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One reason I no longer bother with a new car as a daily.....

If you claim on insurance you pay excess and loose no claim bonus, it may be cheaper to get it fixed yourself.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I feel for you. People out there are careless, jealous and or just total a-holes.

about a year after I got my Focus, my pride and joy I and the gf at the time had gone out to dinner for my birthday. I parked the car in Sth Melbourne. On the way back I had seen two drunk guys walking along the street, had kicked over a bin and then proceeded to do the same to a Scooter.

When I got back to the car, I saw what they had done, they had smashed my front windscreen, dented the roof (jumped on it) and the bonnet. After chasing them down, getting into a scuffle and having the cops catch them it took 3 months to get the car fixed and force the insurance company to pay up. They flatly refused to even though charges were being laid.

Sorry again to hear about the damage done. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 25-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #6
Hally

It sucks. Recently had a dint put into the side of our X-Trail that also took a big chip of pint out (down to bare metal). Because it is a Pearl White the panel beater has advised they need to paint the whole side of the car, so definitely going to be an insurance claim.

Can anyone confirm that he is telling the truth about peal paint jobs?
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
vdo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Consistently offers competent electrical and technical advice regarding Ford electrics, especially instrument clusters. He's retired but offers his services for repairs for next to nothing. 

Yep. They will have to paint the whole side. I would prefer that, as pearl doesn't blend in well and with painting only one panel, you would most likely see the difference.
vdo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #8
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Happened to my wife's car last Friday, in the car park of the local shops. She comes out and notices several white lines along the rear black bumper. As she's standing there looking, a car pulls up and say's she's seen it happen and took the other cars rego.

My wife reports it on Saturday at the local police station, the oficer phones the owner and asks if she was at the local shops and hit a car. The answer - I'm not sure, maybe. I'm a nurse and work nights. I'll ask my husband". The Police officer then starts making excuses for her to my wife - 'she's a nurse and had just finished a late shift. being so tired she may have not noticed side swiping your car.' WTF!

Anyone that hits another vehicle with theirs and drives off = scum.

Happened twice to my Territory; once on the right front side, next on the left front side.

Now, when parking in car parks, I try and park the SS-V where people don't park - usually far away from the entrance. The annoying thing is I've noticed that people have an attraction to parking next to others. Couple of weeks ago, went to the local shops, car park was quite empty, I parked far away. When I come out a lady has parked right next to me, so close she had to squeeze out. Why? you've got 100 empty double parks everywhere.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Sorry to hear about your misfortune damo76, its happend to me a couple of times too. It sucks when your pride & joy is damaged by inconsiderate *****. I hope you get out of this situation to your satisfaction mate - did it happen anywhere near security camera's? If so go & ask to have a look, you never know your luck!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #10
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post
Happened to my wife's car last Friday, in the car park of the local shops. She comes out and notices several white lines along the rear black bumper. As she's standing there looking, a car pulls up and say's she's seen it happen and took the other cars rego.

My wife reports it on Saturday at the local police station, the oficer phones the owner and asks if she was at the local shops and hit a car. The answer - I'm not sure, maybe. I'm a nurse and work nights. I'll ask my husband". The Police officer then starts making excuses for her to my wife - 'she's a nurse and had just finished a late shift. being so tired she may have not noticed side swiping your car.' WTF!
So did this nurse just get off with it like that? My father was swiped a few back while driving. The driver of the van just kept going like nothing had happened. Another driver gave my father his rego. Went to the police who turned up to his house, inspected the damaged vehicle questioned him and charged him with hit and run or something like that and was forced to pay for the damage.
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gees happens a fair bit then. The thing people don't realize is that the paint job is the most expensive part of the car, for instance painting whole side of your car to repair a ding, that's a big job and you will have to make sure it blends in under certain light.
Yer i'll put in a claim get it fixed, looks ugly expecially because its metalic black.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 06:31 PM   #12
Falcojimmy

It is an absolute bummer and surprisingly common. Especially in supermarket carparks where people are in a hurry and don't give a fat rat's about anyone else.

Over the last 3 and a bit years my galaxy blue EL has been hit from pillar to post and not one scrape has been owned up to. I've had a guy towing a trailer cruise past and take out the front quarter panel with the trailer mudguard (he drove off), I've lost 3 mirrors, the front bumper was shaved bare of paint on one corner, and someone has sideswiped the rear guard and left a long centimetre-wide scratch. The only person that hit the car who we saw was when a Landcruiser pulled out in front of my girlfriend before a set of lights. He then proceeded to give my concussed missus totally false details (fake license as well) and a summary investigation revealed that his number plates didn't belong to the car he was driving!
I know it's only an old Falcon, but I look after my cars and a scratch to me is like a facial scar on a newborn daughter! It is one of life's most infuriating and frustrating things when these lowlife scum violate your pride and joy.
Falcojimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Know how you feel . . I had my previous car, a Nitro Blue FG XR6 keyed on the rear passenger side door about 6 months after we got it. Then last year when my wife parked it at the local shops she returned to find some other lowlife keyed the drivers door.

Now we have got our new GT we are avoiding parking it at the shops. If she wants to go down I'll drive her there and pick her up later when she has finished. Luckily we are not too far from the shops.

It's a minefield out there when you have a new car, speed bumps, high gutters, walls, traffic calming devices (<<< *********g hate them) and inconsiderate people who seem to think opening and crashing their car door against your vehicle is ok ... WTF?

Mike

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #14
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:

And of course, he would be just as sympathetic if it had been a police car that the nurse hit. Yer right.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #15
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brismike View Post
Know how you feel . . I had my previous car, a Nitro Blue FG XR6 keyed on the rear passenger side door about 6 months after we got it. Then last year when my wife parked it at the local shops she returned to find some other lowlife keyed the drivers door.

Now we have got our new GT we are avoiding parking it at the shops. If she wants to go down I'll drive her there and pick her up later when she has finished. Luckily we are not too far from the shops.

It's a minefield out there when you have a new car, speed bumps, high gutters, walls, traffic calming devices (<<< *********g hate them) and inconsiderate people who seem to think opening and crashing their car door against your vehicle is ok ... WTF?

Mike
Which is why whenever I/we go shopping we use my wifes VW Polo. For some reason that car seems to resist dents and scratches in the doors etc, it must be made from hardened steel. Also when paint is exchanged from adjacent car doors, so far the VW paint has remained unscathed after over 7 years; it must be a harder paint. I just polish off the added colours.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #16
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
.The answer - I'm not sure, maybe. I'm a nurse and work nights. I'll ask my husband". The Police officer then starts making excuses for her to my wife - 'she's a nurse and had just finished a late shift. being so tired she may have not noticed side swiping your car.' WTF!
Perhaps then she should not have been driving full stop!!
I suppose side swiping a parked car is better than running over somebody or running a red light
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #17
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Usually most insurance companies will make you pay the lot if you can't identify who did the damage. Happened to my mother a while ago...hopped in her little 121 Mazda, just getting keys in the ignition, hadn't even started the engine, and bam, someone reversing out of a park behind her ran into the tailgate of her little hatchback, and just drove off! All she could say was it was a "red four wheel drive ute", no idea of the numberplate of course, and no one else saw it apart from someone in the distance who also had no hope of getting a plate. No security cameras either.
She had to pay the full excess on the insurance claim when they fixed it. However, I don't think it went on record as an "at fault" accident on her record.

Out here some people simply don't care and will open car doors happily against your pride and joy, and if you complain, they say "It's probably only a lease car anyway, who cares?". (Pro-tip...be very very careful about buying ex-lease cars...cheap? Yes. Abused? More than likely...)

Hanging's too good for 'em...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #18
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcojimmy View Post
It is an absolute bummer and surprisingly common. Especially in supermarket carparks where people are in a hurry and don't give a fat rat's about anyone else.

Over the last 3 and a bit years my galaxy blue EL has been hit from pillar to post and not one scrape has been owned up to. I've had a guy towing a trailer cruise past and take out the front quarter panel with the trailer mudguard (he drove off), I've lost 3 mirrors, the front bumper was shaved bare of paint on one corner, and someone has sideswiped the rear guard and left a long centimetre-wide scratch. The only person that hit the car who we saw was when a Landcruiser pulled out in front of my girlfriend before a set of lights. He then proceeded to give my concussed missus totally false details (fake license as well) and a summary investigation revealed that his number plates didn't belong to the car he was driving!
I know it's only an old Falcon, but I look after my cars and a scratch to me is like a facial scar on a newborn daughter! It is one of life's most infuriating and frustrating things when these lowlife scum violate your pride and joy.
I find it interesting that the people who do 20km/h under the limit on the street, seem to fly through car parks. It is almost as it they stick to the one speed.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #19
Itsme
Experienced Member

I'm sure people these days see big red target signs on your cars & go for it.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #20
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a very sad state of affairs. You'd probably be surprised how often this occurs, the worst I have seen is a Mazda 6 with a hole punched through the quarter panel. We guess it was done by a 4WD reversing with a long towbar.

You will undoubtedly have to pay your excess, it will be recorded against your policy and your premium will more than likely increase, but when doesn't it.

It ***** me to tears when I pick a car park in the middle of no where only to return to find a car parked next to me. WTF is the deal with that, is their car lonely or something?
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #21
creative
I am Batman

happens all the time and I have given up caring with mine.

Everytime i wash it i see a new dent or mark.... so now i dont wash it!
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #22
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My poor XR6T is car park battle scared too. All 4 Doors and rear quarters have door dings.
It has also been keyed down one side as well. It spent a few years spending 5 days a week in car parks and it shows.
If I caught someone keying my car I would make the news that night for all the wrong reasons let me tell you I would snap. I can not fathom what possesses some one to do that. I respect all cars even if they are not my choice of car. The owner has worked hard to buy it so good on him.
I love to have clean and waxed paint on my vehicles but it is a magnet to idiots.
There is no excuse for doing it and I wish more people got caught and were forced to pay for the respray down the side of the vehicle.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #23
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my exes honda had 2 carpark dings 6 months apart, 1 across passenger doors and 1 in the rear bumper.Both left unidentified, got them fixed at the same time, had to pay TWO excesses, as they were separate damage. FML.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 25-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #24
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep some people just don't give a shot, got some nice chips on our 3week old ST from the clown up the road whipper snipping the road side just as we went past! Said to the mrs he was lucky I didn't go back and run over him.
Old 25-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #25
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Apart from being hit by a cyclist last year ... his fault, this happened at Xmas time parked in a car park. Driver did a runner

Then 3 days later a rock fell off a truck going the other way and hit the other side .... Felt it hit after I saw the rock bouncing down the road in the mirror. Didn't find the truck it came off.

Then a couple of weeks ago at the shopping centre, went to open the boot but couldn't get to it for some reason! Didnt even try and move the car back!

So I bought this last week for a daily shitter as have had enough.

Yes ....... some people are *********! Had to pay 3 excess for the bike and the other 2. The rear hit, the bumper popped out and not a mark luckly!!!! Least had the rego on that one.

Saw this on the side of the road a few weeks ago .......

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #26
Mr G8
Maximum Derek

People a scum, plain and simple

2008 FG XT 6 Speed
18's, Tint, ZF Conversion, LED Conversion, Exhaust.
Mr G8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 11:51 PM   #27
nstg8a

Quote:
. The annoying thing is I've noticed that people have an attraction to parking next to others. Couple of weeks ago, went to the local shops, car park was quite empty, I parked far away. When I come out a lady has parked right next to me, so close she had to squeeze out. Why? you've got 100 empty double parks everywhere.
See, I see a nice car parked away by itself in a corner, and il go out of my way to park next to it.

Two reasons,
1, they obviously care about their car, and aren't likely to hit mine
2, I know I'm not going to hit theirs either, so I'm actually protecting that nice old classic parked away from everyone.

I took this pic a few weeks back, the owner probably came out and thought some ******* ford parked next to them, while I was actually helping them.

Then you get people like this, I saw both of these cars park, heaps of parks everywhere, the statesman pulled in first, straight into a 'small car' park, so it's *** is sticking out, then the little echo or whatever it is, pulled into one of the large car parks...

People just really don't care
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 11:53 PM   #28
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

I know your pain.
I'll never understand how some people think it's okay to damage other peoples' property.

Guess I'll tell my story too...
Last year I resprayed and restored my previous car (a mint EB2 S XR6). I was very happy with the paint finish and overall very proud of my work.
About a fortnight after the resto was complete, I was sitting in the car waiting for my gf at Coles when a 4WD pulled into the park next to me. After stopping the car, the driver and her kid promptly opened their doors onto my freshly painted passenger's side doors and chipped/dented the paint... then tried to just stroll off like nothing had happened.

I must emphasize the word "tried" here.
...some people.
Old 26-03-2014, 12:08 AM   #29
_Ben
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It ***** me, I have a few little dents in my car (really nothing THAT bad), but I truly want to keep it as mint as possible. I park as close to the curb as possible to keep as far away from people etc, park way away from the entry but it still happens.

Girlfriend got a new 05 civic with stuff all ks, in nearly perfect condition and it already as a few chips from doors, and someone has tapped the rear bumper leaving a nice scrape and popped it out (and pushing it back in to where it should be only fixes it for a few minutes before popping out again).

No point in having a nice car unless you don't drive it!
_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 12:10 AM   #30
_Ben
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
I find it interesting that the people who do 20km/h under the limit on the street, seem to fly through car parks. It is almost as it they stick to the one speed.
60 in a 70 zone, then 60 in a 50 zone. See it all the time, haha.
_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post