Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 06-10-2022, 03:50 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Modern forum software - upgrade on the cards?

Good afternoon admins,

Has there been any thoughts about moving AFF to a more modern forum software? Would be nice to have some of the social media features that modern forums have, things like community hall of fame, reactions to posts, notifications when being quoted, the ability to tag other members for alerts, tagging threads with search terms to group them together, personal profiles with cover photos, automatic image resizing for embedding into posts and stuff like blogs, integrated phone/tablet support without needing exta things like Tapatalk et al.

https://invisioncommunity.com/features/

The achievements are integrated into the forum, you can have badges and same with the thanks stuff.

It takes the nice stuff from modern social media, adds it to a forum environment and boosts engagement further.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 06-10-2022 at 04:05 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2022, 06:46 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Modern forum software - upgrade on the cards?

No thanks; please leave it as is. Let Franco go and play in Tiktok if he must.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:28 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
No thanks; please leave it as is. Let Franco go and play in Tiktok if he must.
Tiktok is for videos
This user likes this post:
Old 06-10-2022, 08:30 PM   #4
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Good afternoon admins,

Has there been any thoughts about moving AFF to a more modern forum software? Would be nice to have some of the social media features that modern forums have, things like community hall of fame, reactions to posts, notifications when being quoted, the ability to tag other members for alerts, tagging threads with search terms to group them together, personal profiles with cover photos, automatic image resizing for embedding into posts and stuff like blogs, integrated phone/tablet support without needing exta things like Tapatalk et al.

https://invisioncommunity.com/features/

The achievements are integrated into the forum, you can have badges and same with the thanks stuff.

It takes the nice stuff from modern social media, adds it to a forum environment and boosts engagement further.
Franco, I 100% have no doubt you made this post in good faith and that you do actually care about AFF.

The first one would be cost. I know you have previously supported AFF financially and would so again but but it costs a lot of money to change software.

Secondly would be who is going to do all of the grunt work to move all of the data over to a new platform? Russ is the only admin these days. Falcon couple, Raptor, GT, Gaso and myself are supermods that don't have the back door access that Russ does (I only assume that GT does).

Personally I have made several attempts to improve the graphic design of the forum through a number of ways but we don't have a graphic designer who is willing to work for the correct money - the money being zero.

I would like to see it made much simpler to load pics up onto the forum without having to use third party software/website and subsequently resize them to suit but that would cost money not only terms of software but storage as well.

We do have the gallery in AFF but I will admit I find it cumbersome to use.

Once again Franco, I appreciate where your post is coming from.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2022, 09:02 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

A lot of the stuff thats been modified into this forum has native support in newer software, stuff like the embedding youtube videos but also other things like no more BB code to embed images into posts but extra functionality like embedding Twitter posts as well so it can be viewed internally in the forum without having to click links et al. Also stuff like the search functionality which doesn't work too well here works quite well on the modern forums with the thread tagging and much more indepth search abilities.

It also has integrated functionality like a content management system/portal so forum sponsors could have front page real estate rather than being buried at the bottom of the forum near the sales area - but its still easy to navigate to the forum, that might be valuable to them as they're getting much more exposure in a community with 90,000 members and around 700 viewers.

I think there's a migration tool with the above forum software that supports this version of the forum AFF uses to move all the content and accounts across.

But the technical database would probably be an issue and it would have to be set up manually which would be a pain in the ***, it would probably have to be done as new posts in a section of the forum, I'm part of another community with that software I've linked which has something similar to what AFF has at the moment, but its got over 2500 'folders' with threads inside them all, so its possible, maybe it could be done by volunteers from the community - I'd put in the hours to help with something like that if that was on the table.

It is coming from a good place, the scene as a whole (not just AFF) has been bleeding members towards social media groups - facebook blows goats in comparison to a forum because its not set up for indepth discussions or a technical database like a forum is, but thats where the scene has been moving to for a long time as its a better user experience.

I understand it costs money but I think its worth a discussion internally between the admin team and a look into it for pricing, then make a decision once the facts are known.

Maybe it won't cost as much as we think, maybe there's some volunteers or people who would chip in towards a refresh of AFF in the form of a fundraiser to cover it and to bring it into the 2020s - Its not the looks of AFF, its just the other stuff thats either janky to use because its patched in or just the functionality we don't have that would be nice.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 06-10-2022 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:05 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Franco, I 100% have no doubt you made this post in good faith and that you do actually care about AFF.
What?? I thought the unwritten forum netiquette was that any posts from either Franco or Cav were to be taken as an invitation to stir.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:07 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
What?? I thought the unwritten forum netiquette was that any posts from either Franco or Cav were to be taken as an invitation to stir.
Only 99.9% of the time
2 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2022, 10:17 PM   #8
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Only 99.9% of the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
I find most idiots can be avoided by steering clear of utes and Camrys.

mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2022, 10:12 AM   #9
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

It's been considered multiple times and frankly, whether anyone likes it or not, the easiest migration path for us would be a current version of vbulletin.

Having said that, the version we currently have does support facebook integration, social 'groups' and user galleries but all of those things are currently turned off along with other things.

Frankly, the biggest barrier to upgrading is the time to build, test and fix the upgraded version which is likely to be in the order of 100 hours work and that's time I just don't have.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2022, 09:12 PM   #10
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2022, 09:51 PM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been working on not only upgrades but data centre moves over the last year and it is a **** load of work even when paid for it and drained the ****en life out of me. It is not easy

We can not give Russ enough credit for this place just to keep it running
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2023, 03:26 PM   #12
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

I personally done have an issue with how this works. Its pretty bulletproof.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
2000 Honda Accord V6L SVI dual fuel
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2023, 03:38 PM   #13
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Probably my only request ever is that there is a function that takes you to your last viewed post on any given thread (if you have been in there before.) I enjoy that about other forums and it is about the only other thing I ever dislike here.

That is to say, if vbulletin has that upgrade feature available for current versions etc.
Old 25-01-2023, 04:38 PM   #14
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
Probably my only request ever is that there is a function that takes you to your last viewed post on any given thread (if you have been in there before.) I enjoy that about other forums and it is about the only other thing I ever dislike here.

That is to say, if vbulletin has that upgrade feature available for current versions etc.

Not sure if you’re aware?
The dark blue arrows on the right (just left of last post column) indicate your latest post in that particular thread..
Clicking on the arrow will take you to your last contribution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2023, 02:23 PM   #15
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Also top left of page has an option to take you to your last unread post. However only if you login and remeber it does refresh / go away if you login again as it resets.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
2000 Honda Accord V6L SVI dual fuel
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.