Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-02-2018, 05:47 PM   #781
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Raptor had better look out......

In all seriousness more competition can only be a good thing.

One way to look at it, is that it is a 1st Generation Ranger Raptor.
Where will it all evolve to in subsequent generations if other manufacturers start to compete?

What is with the toupee on the roof?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #782
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
Agreed regarding competition. The consumer will be the winner here with some great offerings from all sides over the next few years.
you might be able to score a factory sponsored Raptor to do a review for all of us here.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-02-2018, 06:38 PM   #783
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
What is with the toupee on the roof?
It’s a light toupee:

http://www.nissan.com.au/Discover/Ne...nGUARD-CONCEPT
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #784
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Why should they have too? Because you don't like it

They are free to buy whatever they want. It's a much more comfortable vehicle with better seats and a nice sports steering wheel similar to the FPV's used to have.

Means they can go further off the beaten track than any stock Ranger could.

I'm sure a lot of Ferrari owners probably never even go WOT. Maybe you should go tell them they shouldn't buy one and would be better off in a Camry instead
Please quote where i said i didnt like them, i just enquired as to why they are any better than what is on offer now and what niche they will fill.
Clearly there is no real market for them that couldn't be serviced by a Wildtrack for 99% of buyers and hence why you are being so defensive on the subject when questioned.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2018, 08:52 PM   #785
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Agreed regarding competition. The consumer will be the winner here with some great offerings from all sides over the next few years.
Correct.
I'm not going near this first Gen RR.
For sure the competitors are goign to step up to this level.
I'll sit and wait there will be more choices to come for sure and if a RR11 comes along sooner or later it will be the ducks guts imo.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2018, 11:31 PM   #786
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Please quote where i said i didnt like them, i just enquired as to why they are any better than what is on offer now and what niche they will fill.
Clearly there is no real market for them that couldn't be serviced by a Wildtrack for 99% of buyers and hence why you are being so defensive on the subject when questioned.

Off-road the chassis/suspension of the Ranger Raptor will absolutely well and truly positively shyte on a normal Ranger. That’s the difference. If you haven’t been smashed by corrugations, busted suspension, lost batteries, broken mounts etc you’re always going to question this vehicle and will not appreciate what sort of a game changer this will be off road. The info is out there - if you don’t get the vehicle by now no amount of explaining will help.

Try telling Nissan there’s clearly no real market.
4 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #787
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
https://www.4x4australia.com.au/revi...opment-program contains a comparison on the Ford test track between a stock Ranger and the Raptor.
Not only was the Raptor quicker, it was far more comfortable.

There's definitely a market for that.
Sure, a wildtrak would get you there too, hell, so would a jimny, but to get to your destination and not feeling like you need a new spine would be grouse.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2018, 12:04 PM   #788
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Off-road the chassis/suspension of the Ranger Raptor will absolutely well and truly positively shyte on a normal Ranger. That’s the difference. If you haven’t been smashed by corrugations, busted suspension, lost batteries, broken mounts etc you’re always going to question this vehicle and will not appreciate what sort of a game changer this will be off road. The info is out there - if you don’t get the vehicle by now no amount of explaining will help.

Try telling Nissan there’s clearly no real market.
I get all that, but how many people are going to use it to its true potential in reality.
In a country where vehicles like the Patrol or Landcruisers have been the weapon of choice for the offroad brigade since cocky was an egg, i just dont see too many forking out $80k+ for a vehicle to thrash around in the outback every now and then when a Wildtrack can do that when necessary, albeit slightly comprimised when compared to the Raptor, and them tow a 3t van for the rest of the time.

Then the questioned needs to be asked, how will it go when your mate finds his LC deep in mud or sand.

Last edited by BENT_8; 25-02-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 25-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #789
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

There's a difference between towing a 2,500 Kg trailer and towing someone out of a bog.

For one, tow rating is determined by loading on tow bar - around 10% of trailer weight.
You don't have that restriction in a recovery situation because there's no braking /handling at speed....

Remember Ranger towing +100 ton steam engine out of shed....http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...13502.1-lg.jpg

On using a vehicle to it's full potential, we have no idea how various owners will use their Raptors,
they may well be Toorak tractors but some people will enjoy them as a sports truck to full potential,
the best part is they don't have to go to a race track to have fun.

Once Diesel Raptor heads off highway,the difference is chalk and cheese to regular Raptors.
It's not a question of convincing people here, actual buyers will see and know the difference.

Last edited by jpd80; 25-02-2018 at 01:25 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #790
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I get all that, but how many people are going to use it to its true potential in reality.
In a country where vehicles like the Patrol or Landcruisers have been the weapon of choice for the offroad brigade since cocky was an egg, i just dont see too many forking out $80k+ for a vehicle to thrash around in the outback every now and then when a Wildtrack can do that when necessary, albeit slightly comprimised when compared to the Raptor, and them tow a 3t van for the rest of the time.

Then the questioned needs to be asked, how will it go when your mate finds his LC deep in mud or sand.
Does it even matter if people will use it to its full potential? By your logic there shouldn't be any cars other than Corolla Ascents on the road. Because how many people really use their car to do anything more than a Corolla can do on a daily basis?

80k for a 70 series Landcruiser without even air con, or 80k for a Ranger Raptor that has creature comforts inside, and designed to be off road ready, and far more comfortable to ride in on a lot of the roads out here?
You can be sure i'd consider it if I was looking to buy a new 4wd ute.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2018, 07:31 PM   #791
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Understand what you’re saying and for many they will stick with their Ranger etc for the exact reasons you mention. Towing/carrying ability of the Ranger far exceeds any advantages the Raptor may have off-road comfort/toughness wise when their Ranger will do a decent job off-road too. Others will look at the extra comfort and toughness as a godsend if they don’t need the towing/carrying capacity off-road.

Regarding your question, the RR in sand will eat a cruiser. It’s tyres for a start are nearly bang on 33” stock standard. That’s a huge tyre in stock standard form. Air down a 33’’ tyre down in sand behind a 210hp/10 speed and you will go anywhere bordering rediculous. I’d be more concerned if a RR was bogged in sand over a cruiser, you may find yourself digging a Raptor given the cruiser can’t even get to where you are to pull you out. I think something like this scenario would be found at Stockton for example - just mucking around taking the thing to its limit. I think on CSR/Simmo dunes the RR will do it a hell of a lot easier and with less damage to the dunes.

Like a 200, the front end being independent is an advantage in sand also.

Mud - The Raptors tyres are LT all terrain BFGs. Same again - bag a 33’’ down in mud and you’re going a lot further than a 32’’ Grandtrek.

I did put some directional muddies on our 100 series one day. I came home after the new boots were on, picked the Mrs up and tried to stay straight faced when we drove up the road. Lmao she says - ‘get rid of em, I’m not listening to these all the way to QLD’ . Literally I advertised them the next day and went back to the tyre shop to have a more normal tyre put on - we had a good laugh. They were the same tyre I was running on my shorty at the time but because the shorty was as noisy as a Sherman tank the tyre noise wasn’t evident. Geez we laughed.

Each to their own, many will see the Ranger as ample and will use the 20g saved on a camper trailer.
3 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #792
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post

Bevsta, add in countless terri turkeys thinking they can do as a 4x4dual cab at football carparks as well lolllllll......
Sorry mate I don't follow?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #793
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Sorry mate I don't follow?
Nah, no big deal mate.
You quoted :
or they just like the look of it, and like driving across curbs at pace to get to their kids basketball game like I saw some turkey do in a Wildtrack with a Raptor grill last weekend..

I assume you were meaning a dual cab owner doing the above and I just countered by saying I've seen countless Terri or infact many normal SUV doing the same at the countless sporting grounds I frequent regularly.
No big deal as mentioned its cool.
Old 26-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #794
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nah, no big deal mate.
You quoted :
or they just like the look of it, and like driving across curbs at pace to get to their kids basketball game like I saw some turkey do in a Wildtrack with a Raptor grill last weekend..

I assume you were meaning a dual cab owner doing the above and I just countered by saying I've seen countless Terri or infact many normal SUV doing the same at the countless sporting grounds I frequent regularly.
No big deal as mentioned its cool.
All good but a bit different methinks, If a territory did what this guy did at about 50kph they would have ripped out the suspension!

he had no regard for anybody else including kids walking around.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #795
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
As I said before a Raptor will go so much further off road than a Wildtrak will. And much more comfortably.

...you just don't like it?

Last edited by Raptor; 02-03-2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Unnecessary name calling removed from post. Play nice people.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #796
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As I said before a Raptor will go so much further off road than a Wildtrak will. And much more comfortably.
Remains to be seen. At this stage, all we know is its *quicker* offroad, but that doesnt necessarily mean it will be that much better with the sort of low-speed articulation you want most of the time. I would have thought improving one would compromise the other? I look forward to a proper review in a typical off-roading scenario.

One thing's for sure, this car is more polarising than something Brocky built...
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2018, 06:15 PM   #797
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

How many use their GT's to their full potential?

I know of 3 people.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2018, 06:57 PM   #798
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

LOL now Brocky and crystals coming into the discussion
The Brocky was fine on the eyes (barring the crystal myth/maybe meth ooooops) and so is the RR but the VL walky was the polarising one without crystals lets get that straight.

b0son really you and some are getting pretty precious.
What performance type vehicle rides like a smooth street cruiser - not many that I know of.
I'm sure they have tuned the suspension a happy medium ex showroom floor.
Sure unladen a dual cab has that rear end kick about it, got to expect that its not a sedan, I have 50mm raised with much larger bore tuned shocks to springs and I tell you its farfar better than the OE/stock ride it once had.
The FOX's (are adjustable)tuned as they would be with the coils will be fine for those willing to except this dual cab is not like a XLT/Wlidtrak for whoever wants one doesn't wish it to be as one in the first place.
Old 26-02-2018, 07:04 PM   #799
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
As I said before a Raptor will go so much further off road than a Wildtrak will. And much more comfortably. ...
Lol, i take it thats a big NO to finding and quoting where i said i didnt 'like' it.

Classy deflection though..

Last edited by Raptor; 02-03-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 26-02-2018, 07:16 PM   #800
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
How many use their GT's to their full potential?

I know of 3 people.
Depends what you define as full potential, an FG GT is not a race bred track car compared to a VF GTS etc. so for many simply taking it for a spirited run on a Sunday afternoon with enough power in reserve for overtaking any obstacles is using it to its true potential as a Grand Tourer.

From what we've been shown of the Raptor its about going quick around a dirt track in the desert, how many people are buying it to do what Ford have advertised its strengths as being.
Im yet to see the display of it crawling up a boulder filled creek bed yet, theres plenty of footage of Patrols and Cruisers to see.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #801
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Depends what you define as full potential, an FG GT is not a race bred track car compared to a VF GTS etc. so for many simply taking it for a spirited run on a Sunday afternoon with enough power in reserve for overtaking any obstacles is using it to its true potential as a Grand Tourer.

From what we've been shown of the Raptor its about going quick around a dirt track in the desert, how many people are buying it to do what Ford have advertised its strengths as being.
Im yet to see the display of it crawling up a boulder filled creek bed yet, theres plenty of footage of Patrols and Cruisers to see.
My definition of full potential certainly isn't overtaking. A bog stock xr6 can do that easy enough. Full potential to me is emptying a tank in under 200km.

Ok so compare it to a gts then.
Plenty of people snapped them up.
How many take their gts to the track?

I get your point but people aren't going to buy them because they're a sensible purchase.
There will be a fair share of idiots who will buy them to tow though. Can't help stupid.

Lol how did that green man get up there? Not intentional I assure you.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #802
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Most buyers will likely be cashed up tradies who want to look cooler than their mates. The majority of this hair splitting discussion is moot and just for the sake of being argumentative.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2018, 08:15 PM   #803
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
b0son really you and some are getting pretty precious.
I thought my reply was pretty measured, and still you seem to have taken offence. Who's being precious....
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2018, 08:23 PM   #804
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe View Post
Most buyers will likely be cashed up tradies who want to look cooler than their mates.
Agreed and with that in mind, wouldn't that suggest it will simply cannibalise Wildtrack and XLT sales to a certain extent.

Like when Holden released the Sportswagon, sure it attracted some Falcon owners who didnt want the old B series wagons anymore but the majority were people who would have bought a Commodore sedan anyway.
The Sportswagon didnt really provide anything extra to what the sedan already could do.
Same with raptor, if it was never brought to fruition a Wildtrack would have sufficed as it has done for the past decade.

Last edited by BENT_8; 26-02-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 26-02-2018, 10:36 PM   #805
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
I thought my reply was pretty measured, and still you seem to have taken offence. Who's being precious....
Can't see where my post shows signs of being precious for I also thought my post was measured.
Old 27-02-2018, 06:03 AM   #806
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I come in peace fellas

What the RR does it does well. It is purpose built for a certain terrain that is a shyte load of Australia.

As an example - a Rubicon (bog stock) with front/rear solid diffs, front/rear sway bar disconnects, front and rear lockers with big clearance is built for the MOAB trails - ROCKS! The RR is an entirely different beast. The RR would not be a MOAB crawler and the Rubicon wouldn’t be a BAJA runner.......both have been built specifically for a certain terrain. I’ve never ever seen a Rubicon advertised for anything other than rock crawling. From memory I think certain jeeps are ‘trail’ rated - meaning they can drive the MOAB trail in stock form.......none are BAJA rated.

Guys will purpose build their cruisers/patrols for whatever terrain they’re into - a mate I used to wheel a lot with at porters rd (Sydney) ran a single cab patrol with 42’’ swampers - purpose built for one thing and one thing only. Thing was bloody huge.

Bit like cricket really. You’ve got the specialist batter and bowlers like David Warner and Mitchell Starc, then you’ve got the all rounder like ole Andrew Symonds who would represent the cruisers/patrols of the off-roading world - does everything bloody well!

The RR won’t be too bad in rock country I reckon. The extra width, good clearance and 33s will do alright. I think the RR comes with a rear locker, but no front locker?? Will be interesting to see how they’ve set the rock mode parameters up. Soon find out. Either way it’s not built for rocks, but it will put in an Andrew Symonds effort

Personally I wouldn’t be surprised if the RR ends up with a full independent rear in the future.

As for its strengths out the box - I’m very interested. I watched a 3 part Simmo adventure on YouTube last night, each part is 20 min long. The discovery 4 was absolutely shyte in the desert, absolutely bloody useless - it had to attack just about all the really harsh dunes at vehicle damaging speeds to get over them - I was cringing watching him waiting for something to go bang!!

The 110 coil defenders walked everywhere and did a pretty good job but geez talk about painfully slow. Actually only one of the 110s went alright, the other one bogged down on just about everything. 2 didn’t finish - one with fuel issues and one with suspension problems that could happen to anyone.

A Ranger Raptor would eat the Simmo, and every corrugated dirt road between the east and west coast. Cheers
5 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2018, 12:30 PM   #807
mitch

Quote:
I come in peace fellas

What the RR does it does well. It is purpose built for a certain terrain that is a shyte load of Australia.

A Ranger Raptor would eat the Simmo, and every corrugated dirt road between the east and west coast. Cheers
Yeah im tending to agree with you mate.
I reckon something like the RR would be in its element along the PDR and Gibb River roads. Two roads(tracks) that I have driven in the last couple of years, cursing the corrugations the whole way.
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #808
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Lol, i take it thats a big NO to finding and quoting where i said i didnt 'like' it.

Classy deflection though..
Taking continual potshots at it is clear enough. Nice try though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #809
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought that Ford had rapt up the name by now https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/18...r-in-australia
Is this still news, and does anyone care anymore ?.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #810
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Probably the main buyers unfortunately.
Hardly any buyers are going to be jumping in the desert and driving flat out offroad.

Also jetski/motorbike owners are probably another target market like people have said.
These people tend to like big engines so I dunno how that will go with the 4 cylinder. They all seam to buy Hilux's and Navaras anyway so maybe if they get their power fix on the bike/jet ski they might be happy with an average powered car.

I like driving at a good speed on dirt roads. Recently got a flat tyre after hitting an unexpected pothole in a Pajero hammering down a dirt road quickly. (20km/h below the speed limit before anyone has a cry)
But from the offroading I have done, been a passenger in and seen others do in videos, photos it's the slow rough stuff that people really love.
Interesting to see how that RR goes in that. We know it can go fast offroad, but I want to see the other stuff.

Last edited by Ben73; 27-02-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post