Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #601
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

As I do not have, or intend, to get a Raptor, or any other high riding, dual cab, monster shopping truck for the suburbs, an uneducated opinion.
Diesel engine utes sell well in Australia, because we get no other choice.
The majority of utes/ pick-ups / trucks/ whatever are bought by mining companies and land holders in WoopWoop, where diesel engines are flogged all day, every day, so are more economical than petrol.
Therefore, the private buyer thinks ‘that’s good enough for them, good enough for me’. So petrol engine ute sales become unnecessary.
The ‘must have’ fashion accessory for recently retired grey nomads is a diesel 4WD for shopping, and, to tow a rarely used caravan.
Diesel engines in European cars and vans are about to become dinosaurs.
For those who intend to get a Raptor, I envy you, because you are able to buy what you want. I am still waiting to replace my VZ AWD Crewmen for a VE/VF AWD Crewman.
Did I mention that diesel engine utes sell well in Australia, because we get no other choice.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2018, 04:59 PM   #602
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saying we dont get a choice is a cop out. Ranger and Hilux had 4L V6's against diesels no comparison to whats on the market now, and werent popular. The market made the decision, it wasnt made for them.

If you want to co.pare what this Raptor will be compared to the used market, maybe you should be looking at a Great Wall. You could just as easily compare a 2012 Ranger with a plethora of aftermarket gear.
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2018, 04:59 PM   #603
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
As I do not have, or intend, to get a Raptor, or any other high riding, dual cab, monster shopping truck for the suburbs, an uneducated opinion.
Diesel engine utes sell well in Australia, because we get no other choice.
The majority of utes/ pick-ups / trucks/ whatever are bought by mining companies and land holders in WoopWoop, where diesel engines are flogged all day, every day, so are more economical than petrol.
Therefore, the private buyer thinks ‘that’s good enough for them, good enough for me’. So petrol engine ute sales become unnecessary.
The ‘must have’ fashion accessory for recently retired grey nomads is a diesel 4WD for shopping, and, to tow a rarely used caravan.
Diesel engines in European cars and vans are about to become dinosaurs.
For those who intend to get a Raptor, I envy you, because you are able to buy what you want. I am still waiting to replace my VZ AWD Crewmen for a VE/VF AWD Crewman.
Did I mention that diesel engine utes sell well in Australia, because we get no other choice.
Ira good luck with the VE/VF crewman I really hope you find one.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2018, 05:35 PM   #604
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Diesels are typically significantly more expensive than petrol V8s to produce.
historically yes, but now with the petrol engines being direct injection and turbo? maybe not.

however, the point is that by commonising the engine with the base variant the development cost of the Raptor could be focussed on the chassis changes, with just some minor powertrain calibration modifications for Raptor. If it had a unique powertrain then the whole of that development cost would have to be carried by the relatively few Raptor units rather than spread over the whole program
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #605
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
That horse and cart rear end you speak of will last 10 times longer than the coils and (many) links made to wear out on that Thai built trophy truck (car), not to mention the ladies twin hairdryers wheezy diesel.
Time will tell.
You know F-all about the suspension on the Ranger Raptor for a comment like that, no idea. The F150 Raptor FYI is ditching the leaf rear and is going coil too. As it stands now the RR would outhandle it’s bigger brother until it’s big brother comes to the coil party. Make no mistake, that suspension will last.

As for the trophy truck etc - not even worth a reply.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #606
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
You know F-all about the suspension on the Ranger Raptor for a comment like that, no idea.
As for the trophy truck etc - not even worth a reply.
I know as much as you I reckon, F all. Trophy truck buyers wet dream.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #607
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Whata waste of arvo. Most here not buyers of a Raptor probably less drive or buying a current Ranger.

Will wait for the test drives. Im not buying one...willbe moving to PX3 XLT in few months..after 230k+ in px1/px2 happy as....this thing will be beast on some great tracks though....those in the market for one will grab it and gesture to all who crae to look
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2018, 06:58 PM   #608
nstg8a

Just because many aren’t in the market doesn’t mean they have no right to comment... this is after all a forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #609
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I know as much as you I reckon, F all. Trophy truck buyers wet dream.
- reckon, not even worth a reply.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2018, 01:08 AM   #610
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
You sure it was a ranger raptor? And not a f150?

I think the word RAPTOR across the tail gate gave me a big hint.
Plus it had decals.

Last edited by jaydee; 12-02-2018 at 01:14 AM.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2018, 01:15 AM   #611
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
There is an F150 Raptor. Jeremy Clarkson drives a F150 Raptor in the current episode of The Grand Tour.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2018, 08:53 AM   #612
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
OK, so I haven't read all the posts, just come in at the end, seems to be a bit of banter going on.

Anyway, last night, here in Perth, I had just left Hillarys Boat harbour after a feed and just as I get to the car park, what's cutting laps? A brand new Raptor with interstate plates (Qld I think) I was about 10 feet from it. Awesome looking truck in the flesh. Then he took off and I thought, gee that's really quiet. No diesal V8 rattle/rumble.

Then this morning, reading a review in the motoring section of the Sunday paper and there it is, a 4 cylinder twin turbo, talk about being deflated.

All show and no go? I wonder, it's a big heavy unit, anygood for towing big loads?
But definitely has the pose factor.
You sure it is not one of those fake Ranger Raptors some people/dealers are putting together like the below?

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=r...n9mIxHpexL_pM:

or

http://www.raptor4wd.com/specials
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2018, 10:44 AM   #613
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
90ish for a raptor that is half a ton heavier, running a 6 speed auto and a horse and cart rear end (leaf spring). And the laughable part - it’s only 88Nm more than the 2 litre diesel. Please tell me WTF would you buy one?????? It’s an old school anchor on wheels that would chew through fuel like a locomotive.

The Ranger Raptor would shyte on that literally - there’s no comparison. Now price up the latest V6 twin turbo Raptor with its leaf ars* rear also.
So you like the coil spring rear end? yet a few posts ago you were complaining about the towing capacity.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #614
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Plus it had decals.
There are loads of dealer sticker packs getting about. The actual raptor only has a badge on the tailgate, only decals are "Raptor" stickers above rear wheel arches .
See here

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #615
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
So you like the coil spring rear end? yet a few posts ago you were complaining about the towing capacity.
And - wtf cares. It was a disappointment as I said but I also mention you can’t have your cake and eat it too. Big deal. Pin a medal on ya chest for pointing that out hero.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #616
nstg8a

Some of you lot are way too emotional for a truck that probably no one here will buy anyway...

nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2018, 03:59 PM   #617
SilverMustang
Was Red Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou View Post
they missed the mark thats for sure - like doing a commodore gts with racing slicks/racing suspension/racing seats/racing steering wheel with a red mark/ racing aero package and then puting a 2ltr 4 banger in it and telling us we are all stupid for missing the point - that it is all about the handling on a race track.

we'll guess what, no one drives them on race tracks. no one drives raptors through the simpson desert on a regular basis (and if your going to do jumps you'll want a support car because its not unbreakable). 99.999999% of these will be driven on normal roads.

I live on 10km of dirt track - and even dont buy a dune buggy to go to work in because the other 50km is tar.

I would be the first person to buy a raptor - would be great but not so i get blown away by a eb falcon taxi. those larger tyres will also slow things down and the 10 speed might help the 0-100 time but once you run through those tighly spaced gears you are in slug town over 100kmph

I have a neighbour with a f150 raptor - I beat him home every time i come across him ............. because when i see him on the bitumen i over take him and once you are behind some one on dirt road you are stuffed.

and its not like every one is winging that it doesnt have a 450kw v8 - just that it has a 157kw 4 cyl - seriously in a car weighing well over 2 tonne and calling it a performance vehicle - i dont think so .

reminds me of when VB dropped their alcohol percentage to save on the tax. Only time i ever sent a letter of complaint. Told them that they were wrong and it was a cop out - they told me i was wrong (i guess all their customers were wrong) and how did that end up for them.

the engineers and the friendly jurno's can keep telling people like me that i dont understand the car - well guess what, i suggest they dont understand their customers and in the end the sales will prove who was right.

the sad thing is, if this fails, the accountants will then knock a real raptor on the head because this one didnt sell.
This is spot on and exactly the way I'm thinking

A V6 Pertol with 250KW would have done me and I would ordered it today....but narh. I'll probably end up with the VW.

Ford never listen to what the people want. They seem to think they know better....I thought their AU would of been lesson enough let alone when the dropped the V8 back in the 80's. Fairdinkum they are as dumb as Dog do do
1967 Mustang Coupe
1955 Thunderbird (Project)

Previous cars:
Audi Q5, BMW X5, Territory Ghia Turbo, BA GT
SilverMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #618
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz
That horse and cart rear end you speak of will last 10 times longer than the coils and (many) links made to wear out on that Thai built trophy truck (car), not to mention the ladies twin hairdryers wheezy diesel.
Time will tell.
Maybe the Nissan Patrol, Toyota Landcruiser and LR Discovery should go back to leaves then.

Truely one of the dumbest posts I have ever read on AFF. Congrats

As for the engine we are a diesel market. Simple as that. They have given us what the market is buying in 99% of cases. Would you hedge your bets on the 1% or the 99%?

Sure the powerstroke V6 would have been good but does anyone here even know if it fits, considering the Ranger only comes with inline engines and not V configuration.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #619
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Territory View Post

A V6 Pertol with 250KW would have done me and I would ordered it today....but narh. I'll probably end up with the VW.

Ford never listen to what the people want. They seem to think they know better....I thought their AU would of been lesson enough let alone when the dropped the V8 back in the 80's. Fairdinkum they are as dumb as Dog do do
How's that petrol V6 going in the Amarok?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #620
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, if this thing came with a Coyote then it would be hard to resist and my order would be in

It looks great but what were they thinking. A mini diesel with 10kw more than the basic Ranger

Those figures will probably also not be at the rear wheels so it gets worse. The whole idea of a vehicle such as this is to have great suspension (tick) but also an engine that has bucket loads of pure grunt that with just a touch of the pedal makes it start to haul WITHOUT the need to change down etc.

It is so obvious that the 10 speed is fitted purely to keep this engine on the boil and give the impression it has massive grunt. If it was a 5 or 6 speed it would be embarrassing. That 10 speed is never going to stay in any one gear and will be changing all day long. Makes me wonder how long its going to last especially if flogged to make use of the suspension.

I may still be in the dark ages but my trusty 347 4Runner has 284 RWKW with a virtual straight line 505 RWNM in top gear (5 Speed) and with me in it and a full tank it weighs 2300kg and it pulls like a train from 50kph in top to any speed limit . It does it so easy and makes it a joy to drive yet it still gives me 12L/100 cruising at 110kph so it will now stay in the garage.

A Raptor should have awesome grunt with the additon of its great off road suspension not be screaming its head off as it goes threw 10 gears to move.

It will probably sell in reasonable numbers but a typical Ford copout as with that engine it won't have any overall Xfactor.

Last edited by ozrunner; 12-02-2018 at 05:21 PM.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #621
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Yes.
The vid does say on private property, which looks to be at the Ooraminna Station. https://www.ooraminna.com.au/
Old 12-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #622
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People seem to be forgetting this is the baby raptor.

I don't think anyone would be having this discussion about engines if there was such a thing as ONE FORD.

Dearborn would not dare step on the toes of its cash cow.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #623
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bloody impressive imo. I think the balance will be perfect.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news...the-utes-grunt
Old 12-02-2018, 05:53 PM   #624
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Maybe the Nissan Patrol, Toyota Landcruiser and LR Discovery should go back to leaves then.
Truely one of the dumbest posts I have ever read on AFF. Congrats
Thank you.
I like all of the above vehicles but I wouldn't compare a Patrol or landcruiser diesel to this.
This sounds even dumber.
Never seen a factory Patrol or Landcruiser with go fast stickers either like this wannabee trophy truck.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #625
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bloody impressive imo. I think the balance will be perfect.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news...the-utes-grunt
Yet another article stating it's not just about the engine. The more you're told to look the other way, the more you should question why.

The engine is unacceptable. It should have come with the 2.7 or 3.5EB.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #626
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Yet another article stating it's not just about the engine. The more you're told to look the other way, the more you should question why.

The engine is unacceptable. It should have come with the 2.7 or 3.5EB.
Your thoughts mate not mine - it’s acceptable to me and others. I’ve had some big dollar modified trucks in the past and this truck is well balanced in my opinion. Even if the petrol became available I’d stick with the diesel, each to their own. Forgetting the motor, I copied the link more so for the background behind the build. I’m more than aware most hate the motor.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #627
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Boss made a good point in another thread,
Quote:
Ranger is available in RHD and LHD and has always been. It's sold in over 180 countries.
I think the 180 countries is a clue as to why Raptor is a diesel,
our country falls on the cusp of divided loyalties............
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2018, 09:00 PM   #628
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't this vehicle like a dude who puts a sock down the front of his speedos at the beach.
All show and go until you look under the hood.

On a side note no one has said anything about the colours it is available in.
What colours from the Falcon XR/GT Palette would it look good in?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2018, 09:12 PM   #629
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post

On a side note no one has said anything about the colours it is available in.
What colours from the Falcon XR/GT Palette would it look good in?
Would look good in Yellow.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2018, 09:34 PM   #630
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Territory View Post

Not many people in Australia want a petrol 4WD. Not the buying public anyway.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: