Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Early Falcon Car Club of Qld Inc

Early Falcon Car Club of Qld Inc The Queensland early model Falcon Club.

Old 17-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
XPCoupe1965
Starter Motor

Default Rebuilt and ready to go but - I do not know the start position for the dizzy

I have just had the 170 Pursuit rebuild. I have placed into into the car over the last couple of weekends. However, I have one issue that I do not feel confident about and that is placing the distributor back into the engine. The situation is:
The motor as delivered is at top dead centre - No1
Everthing has been connected however I can not set up the distributor as I do not know where No 1 firing position is when the distributor is placed into the block - assistance and hints here would be appreciated as I do not want kick her over until I have have the dizzy in place - then I can adjust her!!

XPCoupe1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
9triton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: A valued contributor to those hard to answer questions regarding classic falcons. A wealth of knowledge. 

try this link:

http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/display1...062&Page=2-011

http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/display1...062&Page=2-012

when they say rotor in No 1 firing position it means pointing at No1 spark plug lead in the dist cap when the dist is fully seated in the block ( as the rotor /dist shaft rotates a bit as you push it down into the block as the gear mesh on the camsfat gear)

all from here:

http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/.

one thing to make sure of is that the hex shaft ( like straight allen key)that goes in end of distributer is installed - it drives the oil pump

no shaft = no oil pressure.

note sometimes its actually in the oil pump already- but something to check if the engine has been apart and rebuilt.

the other thing is that when the engine was delivered is check that it is top dead centre on No1 firing stroke ( cause the same pulley timing mark also denotes TDC on No 6 exhaust stroke).

HTH
brett
9triton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Pretty sure there is also a small notch/line in the body of the dissy to indicate number 1.
If you line everything up to tdc it may not fire/run
rotate the crank pully to 4-6 degrees BTDC and then drop the dissy in and align it to number 1
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post