Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 03-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Mezmondeo
Starter Motor

Default 2009 Ford Mondeo MA LX

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forums, joined up because I don't know enough about Mondeos, what potential issues they have and also the cost of servicing them.

I am interested in a used car around the 15,000 mark and the sedan mondeo LX MA really caught my eye.

This one here-http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/?R=13380058

Just want to hear your thoughts on this car?

It's between the Mondeo and a Mitsubishi Lancer. Not keen on the Falcon as I've already had one. Want a change.

Cheers,

Mez

Mezmondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2009 Ford Mondeo MA LX

Not sure that link works unless your on mobile Try this one

http://carsales.com.au/dealer/detail...058?R=13380058

I have an MA XR5. I've had 2 issues. One being a leak in the roof through the hatch brackets and the 2nd being a dodgy cruise switch. Both fixed under warranty. I know different engine and gearbox, but mine has been a dream. We love our Mondeo. So different from a falcon. We also have an AU Falcon.

They are a great car. Good luck with your decision.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Something about the back of it just doesn't look quite right.

The bit under the back window looks so, well, long, between the back of the car and the back window.

Were the MAs a longer car than the MCs?
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
nevetsg

Riksta, I think you are seeing the Boot lid. This is a sedan and not the Hatch.

Mezmondeo, on that note go look at a Hatch. Once that thing opens up you can jam anything on the hole.

On the topic of servicing, I can't add anything sorry. I have not owned my MA long enough to have to service it.
Lancers are a smaller class of car. It depends on your needs really.
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Drove a newish Lancer back from Syd to Cbr 2yrs ago - cramped and barely coped with 4 medium sized bags. Not a pleasant place to be.
Tippy tronic auto - tippy being waste of time and gutless.

Performance aside (and no comparison to the XR5 anyway), they are a cheap build down to a price. Even the LX Mondeo is far better equipped and a nicer place to be.
Bear in mind the Mondeo is wider in the track and longer in the wheelbase than a Falcon (but shorter length overall). So you are comparing a Falcon-size thing to a Focus-size thing - totally different.
Check out a used Focus for a real comparo to a Lancer.

Also, beware Mondeo hatches are very high when open, with a tendency to knock into garage/carpark/TAS ferry roofs. If you are at all on the short side (under 5'6" / 165cm), you will be struggling to reach the grab handle.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
nevetsg

Interesting, being 6'2" I never thought of an issue with the hight of the hatch...
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,

We've just bought a 4 year extended warranty on our MA Mondeo TDCi Sedan , which we've been driving for three years now, and the only problem that has surfaced is that the selling dealer screwed up the trip computer when trying to get the instantaneous fuel use display (Got fixed at the 15,000 Km service by another dealer).

So you can deduce that we intend to keep the car for a while yet. The extended warranty is just insurance against something electronic/mechanical failing ( like the turbo or engine management module, etc. etc). That gets expensive on a modern car.

We deliberately chose the sedan over a hatch because the rear "parcel shelf" stiffens up the rear of the car. In a previously owned TX5 Telstar, after about four years the hatch door started to move in the frame and became an annoyance we could do without (adjusting striker plates didn't do much except misalign the door within the frame), and we discovered that the slope of the hatch door prevented really bulky stuff from being carried with the door shut (we have the Territory for bulky stuff anyway). That said the boot aperture on the Mondeo sedan is quite restrictive, but if you can get a package past that the boot swallows a huge amount of luggage.

As said earlier, problems there have been non, after 44,000 km the body and interior are drum tight, the car will handle 110 km/hour all day with little interior noise and return something between 5 and 6 l/100km while it does it depending on where the wind is ( not that that matters much if you are considering a petrol engine). I believe the smaller petrol engined cars might be a little under powered given that the car does weigh 1600 kgm unloaded. This isn't a concern for the TDCi engined car. Ours accelerates faster and pulls up hills better than the Territory, which is itself a good vehicle.

The Mondeo invites a press on driving style because its road manners are very good, but this will adversly affect tyre life, as I have found out, but this is the only thing that I can criticise, and truthfully it's my fault for driving the car in this manner from time to time (It's hard not to )

I doubt you will be disappointed if you choose a Mondeo but it's your money and you should buy what you are happy with.

Good Luck

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
whitetdci

I assume that you are talking about $15k not 15,000km. That said I would recommend you have a look at the diesel. as alan said the fuel usage is much lower and they are brilliant to drive and the torque is heaps better than the petrol unless you go to the XR5. I have got sub 5L/100k on trips before but I have done a few minor mods that have made it more economical. The TDCi is also upspec on the LX
whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #9
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I wasn't driving a MA I would have traded by now if it was a different car,yep it hasn't given me one reason to trade up to a new model as yet nor i think I ever will that's how good they are

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post