Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > XR6 & XR8 Club of Queensland > XR Club of Qld Discussions

Old 26-07-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
Kerrie

Default When to Change the oil

The GT now has 5000 ks on the clock. The manual says to change the oil at 15,000 ks when I get the first service. Others are telling me it should be changed now. As I am a female all I do is wash it, put fuel in it and drive it, I dont go into all the important detail. So at what k's do you suggest it be changed.
Thanx.
Kerrie

Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #2
SP Ken

G'day Kerrie,

I have always changed my oil every 5000 Ks, even on the XR6. It's up to you but 15 000 between changes is a bit too long for my liking. The in changes between services I normally do myself and you only have to pay for the oil that way.

Ken
Old 26-07-2006, 01:05 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I believe the BF FPVs now should be changed every 7500 kms Kerrie.

Cheers,

Brent
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
phoon
BOLLOCKS

For longevity of the the internals, I do mine every 7500k. It may seem like alot of oil changes, but the oil is the life blood of your engine. I will look forward to seeing that shiny GT and checking the dipstick colour when we come down to GI this year Kerrie.
phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 10:03 PM   #5
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

Um, Yeah, Like isn't that what services are for? _

I wouldn't have a clue what to do but the cars are Lynton’s job anyway!

Glad to see you are still enjoying your beautiful PINK girl and can't wait to one day when we get that elusive snap of our 2 menace beauties together.

Cheers, Tori
Old 27-07-2006, 10:27 AM   #6
Kerrie

Thanks for the advise. I will get it done now then. I dont care how many oil changes she gets, just want the life of the car to last until I retire into the nursing home. And yes Tori I am looking forward to the family photo of our brother & sister.
Old 27-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #7
FPV99
Cobra GT

Kerrie
FPV do recommend the running in oil should stay in for 15,000 or 12 mths. I know it sounds along time but that is what they recommend. If you ask your Ford Dealer they should be able to show you a service memo that details the reasons. The running in oil is a mineral based oil. after the first change the oil should be a synthetic oil. (FPV recommend Castrol Edge) Hope this is a help and not confused you more.
FPV99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
Kerrie

Thanks FPV99, I will ring Denmak Ford before I do anything.
Old 31-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #9
Matt P
No Boundries

Hey Kerrie

The GT leaves the factory with Castrol Protec in the sump (GTX3 mineral oil) a 15w/40 oil FPV reccomend this for top ups up until 8000km's this helps the rings bed in better the oil is not as slippery. However after that they start using Castrol Edge 0w/40 (synthetic). Its up to you if you get it done now they will probably use Protec but if you wait a little longer you can start using the better synthetic oil.
Matt P is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post