Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-06-2016, 12:49 AM   #1
SprintFg
Banned

Default FORD, we want the 345 / 351 tune. Will pay $1500-2000 for the ecu update.

There are plenty of 335 Fpv GT owners or fgx xr8 owners or fpv 315 GS owners that would pay $1500-2000 for a Ecu recalibration to bring up our power to 345kw or 351kw, as long as any remaining warranty on our cars is honoured. These tunes are tested for sprint and GT-f models so I wouldn't see why warranty would be different.

I don't believe this product would degrade a genuine sprint or GT-F as it's essentially just a dealer fitted update, doesn't make our regular GT or xr8 as a genuine GTF or sprint, they would still retain exclusivity, but the overall falcon brand would all be that bit special too. These cars cannot be bought anymore so it would not cannibalise future sales either.

If there is some objection by sprint or GT-F owners, please consider GT r-spec 335kw owners, they are not degraded because the fgx xr8 is the same car or that the xr8 sprint is of superior specification. The GT r spec will still retain its special place in fords stable and respected amongst enthusiasts. R spec owners would likely buy this ecu update also.

Make it a dealer fitted update at service for price premium.

If 1000 fpv/Fgx owners take this up, the is $1,000,000+ Easy revenue for ford with little or no cost, the tunes are already tested/done and it's a 5 minute upload from dealers.. plus 1000+ very very happy owners and a great send off to falcon enthusiasts. Keeps our cars more desirable ahead of the last commodore update to try upstage the falcon.

I'd even suggest to Pass some of this easy revenue to the employees of ford or for a special closing event for Falcons retirement, be legendary.

Hsv in its early days offered the clubsport calibration / headers to regular commodore v8 buyers for a price premium ( I think $2500) it didn't make them club sports. They stopped it as they would cannibalise future hsv sales but ford don't have that problem.

Please reply in this thread if you would take up this option and let's apply some pressure to ford. Also welcome sprint owners or GT-F owners to make any objections if this request is unreasonable, please be mindful of the r-spec limited build and fgx xr8. Also, The money raised by dealers to go towards ford employees or a falcon farewell event.

Many of the fpv owners or fgx xr8 owners would otherwise get a tune from an aftermarket tuner for a similar price and more power, but to have a ford endorsed tune and if the funds went toward the employees or a farewell event, would make it more special and worth the $1500-2000. If ford don't do it, they are just passing this revenue to aftermarket tuners.

Give us the 345 / 351 tune ford.
SprintFg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: FORD, we want the 345 / 351 tune. Will pay $1500-2000 for the ecu update.

Opens up their warranty risk though (understand even though its essentially the same car).

IF I was Ford there is no way I woudl risk putting tunes into cars that have been in private hands for over 12 months, not even 6 months.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 
Default Re: FORD, we want the 345 / 351 tune. Will pay $1500-2000 for the ecu update.

I don't see Ford taking the one thing that really differentiates the special editions and offering it on the standard models. On top of the uproar from Sprint owners (they paid more than a $1500 premium to get that tune, some of them even lost a stack of money trading in existing XR8s), the process of tuning existing cars alone could turn into a hassle, they'd likely only offer it to cars which have never been modified (for obvious reasons) and that would likely involve sending the PCMs back and forth to verify they'd never been tuned. Then there's the question of whether the engines are in fact identical, whether there was a running change in the lead up to the Sprint launch which would make earlier builds ineligible. Only Ford knows this stuff.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
mr_xlr8
GT-P Whitey

From what I have seen in these 351 GTF and FGX models the tune would be a step back over what pro drive flashed into my car in 2011.

Perfectly happy with my GTP as it puts out better IMHO

Current ride:
FG MKI 5.0L S/C 6SP Auto = 9.5/10

Previous Rides:
FG MKII GT-P 5.0L S/C 6SP MANUAL = 9/10
AU III 5 SPEED BLUEPRINT XR8 220KW= 8/10
BA XR8 BOSS 260 BLUEPRINT = 3/10
EB FAIRMONT WINDSOR 302 BURGUNDY = 6/10
mr_xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 09:41 AM   #5
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Ford looked into upgrading the RSpec when GTF was announced but didn't come to anything because homologation issues and warranty. If you want a tune go and get one, will produce MORE of everything other than warranty. The numbers say GT335, 345 and 351 but theres a bees dick between them performance wise. GS and XR8 are lower. My GT and a friend GTF on the same dyno, mine did 322 with 2 runs his did 330 with 6 runs. $1500 is hell of a lot money for 8rwkws.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
Ford looked into upgrading the RSpec when GTF was announced but didn't come to anything because homologation issues and warranty. If you want a tune go and get one, will produce MORE of everything other than warranty. The numbers say GT335, 345 and 351 but theres a bees dick between them performance wise. GS and XR8 are lower. My GT and a friend GTF on the same dyno, mine did 322 with 2 runs his did 330 with 6 runs. $1500 is hell of a lot money for 8rwkws.
Ford didn't even consider R Spec when GTF was announced.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #7
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Opens up their warranty risk though (understand even though its essentially the same car).

IF I was Ford there is no way I woudl risk putting tunes into cars that have been in private hands for over 12 months, not even 6 months.
They will do it with Mountune stuff, as long as the car is in warranty still. They will when its not aswell.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ford will never offer this.

Sprint and GTF went through alot of testing and have some other hidden features that differentiate them from mainstream product.

I remember back when the Typhoon came out there were people going around saying that they had the F6 tune installed by their dealers.... Yeah right.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #9
geobar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Boss 315/335/345/351 are now proven packages with good after market support.

It's fairly straight forward what you need to do to extract power out of these and what is bullet proof and the limits of engine/transmission/drive/tail shafts/diff/bushes so pick the path you want to take and take it.

I don't think ford offering upgraded tunes will keep you happy, you will hardly feel the difference. I know I wouldn't be happy to spend up to 2k for a minimum result.

Sit down work out what you want from your car and create your own package from the various options you have and go enjoy the car. This is what I'm doing with my XR8 as i'd rather create my own spec. If you select the right parts and tuner warranty will not be an issue. Just don't expect to run 500rwkws with standard driveline then blame Ford for not providing warranty.

I'm just thankful that ford has given us a solid base to start with

George
geobar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #10
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

Just get a proper dyno tune and you will get even more power.
xr6tjet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #11
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

^^ this.

Nice idea but too late now - could have been a factory option when ordering or taking delivery. Now? Forget it - warranty issues, etc.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

My friend got an Aston Martin Vantage V8 when they first came out with the 4.3L V8. A few years later, when the updated model came out with the 4.7L and some 30kW+ more power, he received a letter from AM telling him they are happy to upgrade his 4.3 motor to 4.7L to match the latest engine size and power / torque output.
If a low volume seller like Aston Martin can do entire engine rebuilds to keep their Customer's happy, why can't Ford offer a basic flash tune? I'd sign up for the 351 tune (with 404kW overboost) for my XR8 please!
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #13
DK30RB

I used to own a 2011 Volvo V60 T6 AWD, came stock with 224kw.

There was a polestar edition which came out later with 240kw.

Volvo offered me the polestar tune for $1500 (from memory, could have been more) a year after i got mine. Factory backed and Warranty intact.

I took up the offer. Transformed the car.

There should be no reason why FORD can't do it either for.
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 01:50 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
They will do it with Mountune stuff, as long as the car is in warranty still. They will when its not aswell.
True. But they are not limited edition cars which is one of the main selling points of any LE model. Too keep that exclusivity.

I would have thought there would be some calculation done knowing that X sprints will be allocated x dollars in warranty work which is absorbed into the budget for building the car. If they increase the number of cars the tune has (and the risk of greater warranty) then they havent budgeted for that. Im not accountant though.

Its morally wrong on a LE car. A Focus/Mustang/Fiesta ST upgrade is different as its an ongoing model.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Problem is you cant just throw a Tune in another car unless it has the same tyres, dsc calibration etc.

A Sprint tune or a GTF tune will not work in a standard 335.

Just like you can't fit brembos to a Boss 315 GS as the DSC calibration will be different. People do, but Ford will say you shouldn't as the car was not programmed to work with Brembos.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #16
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Ford didn't even consider R Spec when GTF was announced.
Wrong. Ford had an RSpec back in engineering in March and April 2014. I spoke with the then head of FPV marketing for over an hour and over multiple emails about various aspects and potential of upgrades. One of the upgrades discussed was a new unique tune although different to what was later appearing in GTF guise. The other big thing being considered was offering the 6/4 brake package considering that FPV only had 15 sets of big black brembos for the 350 planned RSpecs. At the time due to the little uptake of the big brake package with regular GTs it was considered that the same level of uptake on the Rspec was to be expected. They were wrong.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 02:28 PM   #17
FPV6

Of coarse they wont add different tunes.

And clearly for warranty reasons. Each sale of car, warranty is deducted XR8 would be a certain percentage as would a run of the mill taxi grade falcon. There are formulas for this, I know as I work in a service department

there not going to tamper with profits as warranty is a loss of profit
Old 01-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wrong. Ford had an RSpec back in engineering in March and April 2014. I spoke with the then head of FPV marketing for over an hour and over multiple emails about various aspects and potential of upgrades. One of the upgrades discussed was a new unique tune although different to what was later appearing in GTF guise. The other big thing being considered was offering the 6/4 brake package considering that FPV only had 15 sets of big black brembos for the 350 planned RSpecs. At the time due to the little uptake of the big brake package with regular GTs it was considered that the same level of uptake on the Rspec was to be expected. They were wrong.

Do you have copies of these emails? There were people in Ford that were trying to soften the blow to disgruntled R Spec owners who carried on like pork chops over GTF. That's about it. Nothing was ever done about it from an engineering perspective. 6 pot brembo brakes are a different kettle of fish to a new tune.

Ford are in the business of making money. To offer another tune on R Specs that they sold 2 years prior would have cost them money by the time they engineered and tested the so called tune... What for?

If you want the 351 tune buy a GTF. If you want the 345 Tune by a Sprint 8. Simples!

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 01-06-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:54 PM   #19
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintFg View Post
Give us the 345 / 351 tune ford.
I’m surprised someone with the user name SprintFg would want the tune from their beast made available to those who paid for other cars.

Upgrades and power increases as models progress is the name of the game in the automotive world and it’s what makes owners upgrade to the next model.

Most enthusiasts understand that and if they want what’s currently available they buy the new model.

The Falcon may cease to exist soon but basic sales principles haven't changed.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:26 PM   #20
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
A friend of mine who owns an R Spec told me something similar re: FPV looking into an updated tune to be delivered through dealers like any other PCM update. I guess in the end Ford/FPV already had enough on their plate.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #21
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
My friend got an Aston Martin Vantage V8 when they first came out with the 4.3L V8. A few years later, when the updated model came out with the 4.7L and some 30kW+ more power, he received a letter from AM telling him they are happy to upgrade his 4.3 motor to 4.7L to match the latest engine size and power / torque output.
If a low volume seller like Aston Martin can do entire engine rebuilds to keep their Customer's happy, why can't Ford offer a basic flash tune? I'd sign up for the 351 tune (with 404kW overboost) for my XR8 please!
Why can Aston Martin do it, because they make far more cream per car than Ford ever would have with Falcon (dollar amount or percentage). What, you think a Vantage costs so much at the retail level because its manufacturing cost is close to RRP?

As for the OP's idea/request, pigs will fly in a green aeroplane before it happens...
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #22
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why blow $2k on a tune that will barely be noticeable if at all, when you can pay the same and get more than 10 times the increase? **** warranty. Ford warranty means nothing. I've had issues before that were near on impossible to rectify. I'd rather just have the power?
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
stazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #23
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
True. But they are not limited edition cars which is one of the main selling points of any LE model. Too keep that exclusivity.

I would have thought there would be some calculation done knowing that X sprints will be allocated x dollars in warranty work which is absorbed into the budget for building the car. If they increase the number of cars the tune has (and the risk of greater warranty) then they havent budgeted for that. Im not accountant though.

Its morally wrong on a LE car. A Focus/Mustang/Fiesta ST upgrade is different as its an ongoing model.
Valid point, but an FGX XR8 isnt either. Sprint/GT yeah fair enough.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #24
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Crank 30 psi into the F6 too thanks. Pfft
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #25
nstg8a

This old chestnut again. It was a ludicrous idea last time, and it's still a ludicrous idea.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #26
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's probably best to leave well enough alone. Although I'm selling my R-Spec I would prefer for it to remain original.

Even in original tune it's a very fast car.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #27
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Ford will never offer this.

Sprint and GTF went through alot of testing and have some other hidden features that differentiate them from mainstream product.

I remember back when the Typhoon came out there were people going around saying that they had the F6 tune installed by their dealers.... Yeah right.
I ran an F6 tune in my BF for months, flashed in at the dealer
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 09:42 PM   #28
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
Buying a Ford is akin to shopping at Kmart or Target. You can't expect the same as shopping at a boutique store. That's how I got over the poor after-sales support.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2016, 12:49 AM   #29
SprintFg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6tjet View Post
Just get a proper dyno tune and you will get even more power.
I agree a proper dyne tune will give you more power but the risk of mechanical failure is increased.

The 345/351 tunes were tested on an identical driveline to other Miami cars and ford has provided full warranty. People have said warranty issues is why ford won't do it?? How? Surely a xr8 sprint or gtf is not more likely for warranty issues due to their tunes?

It's tested, ford already warrant this tune.

Going to aftermarket is risk / reward. I'm not sure I'm willing to take the risk, hence the ford option, sure it's only 10-15 kW more but it's full warranty and piece of mind. You cannot have the same confidence in aftermarket tunes, no matter if they make 50rwkw more and the car much faster
SprintFg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2016, 03:20 AM   #30
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Why is everyone always worried about warrenty. It's simple, if you want more power get it tuned. If something breaks just fix it. If your poor and can't afford it, don't get it tuned , simple

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
12 users like this post: