Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-01-2005, 06:36 PM   #1
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 
Question I make GOOD coffee!!

Looking for an employee who is loyal, savvy and not afraid to roll up his sleeves?? (or can network to help find him a role??) Please read on...

I am looking to start a career in marketing: I realise that the marketing industry can be very broad, but I am eager to 'get my foot in the door' and am not expecting to walk into a manager/coordinator role! (I am realistic where [in the hierarchy] I can start). I am aware that in many cases it is not what you know but who you know when looking for employment, so if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

I've completed a Uni degree (Bachelor of Business, Marketing) and have some retail (and admin) experience. All I need is relevant experience in the industry (the main reason I haven't got a job yet).

I am willing to relocate anywhere in Australia (although the east coast is preferable) and am willing to be placed in a work experience role (no pay) if suitable roles are not available (surely someone needs an extra coffee maker in their office _2: ). A Marketing Graduate/Marketing Assistant role is the type of role I am pursuing, but also Marketing/HR roles are also of interest to me. I am aware of the difficulty of entering this industry and am prepared work in any role that has the prospect of leading to my desired role.

If you can help, PM me and I'll send you a resume, etc. Or, if you want to offer any helpful advice, that would be appreciated too.

Again, thanks to anyone for at least reading this, and if possible, helping me.

Russ

Last edited by #Russ#Es#; 21-01-2005 at 10:43 PM.
#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 11:04 PM   #2
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Good luck with it mate, sounds like your keen to work.
Old 22-01-2005, 12:53 AM   #3
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

my advice is to try and get a job in any medium size company that would have a marketing department. try to be in head office, not in a satelite branch. you need to be near the marketing people. jobs do come up within the organisation and they are usually advertised internally first. even if you dont get something immediately;
1. you are working and earning
2. you are gaining valuable experience in a specific industry.

i know how hard it is to get graduate work in your chosen field. afetr i graduated, i became a part time teller, worked hard, got a lending role, worked hard and showed initiative, got a training role on a project and then finally got project work. it took about 3 years after graduating to get into my field, but it happened. good luck.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 12:54 AM   #4
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

oh yeah, forgot to mention...your attitude is first class, you will get something soon.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 05:50 PM   #5
masters24
I gots me a UTE

Good luck champ, finding jobs in my desired area isnt really workin for me at the moment, but i hope you have better luck!!!

Last edited by masters24; 22-01-2005 at 05:52 PM.
masters24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 09:01 PM   #6
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. Unfortunately for me, I don't think it is just my lack of experience that has stopped me finding work so far. I live in southern rural NSW: I would think that many organisations in Syd/Melb/Bris/etc would see that and say no :(

Oh well, will just have to keep persevering!
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

Last edited by #Russ#Es#; 22-01-2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old 22-01-2005, 11:10 PM   #7
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Many Government agencies have graduate positions on offer, i worked with a marketing graduate for a year in Transport SA and he was pretty cluey, the wage wasnt astounding, about 36k a year(in 2000) but it was good experience for him.

might be worth taking a look at if you are interested.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 10:25 PM   #8
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Many Government agencies have graduate positions on offer, i worked with a marketing graduate for a year in Transport SA and he was pretty cluey, the wage wasnt astounding, about 36k a year(in 2000) but it was good experience for him.

might be worth taking a look at if you are interested.
Yeah I have looked on the net a fair bit at Gradlink and similar sites but the roles I am after are hard to come by.

I would be VERY happy if I started off with $36k a year (alot of the roles I've been looking at are about $30k-$35k, which is fine for me!). Its the experience that I need...(hey, I've been a uni student, I'm good at living on next to nothing :P). $36k is a reasonable amount of money for a 22yo!
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Last edited by #Russ#Es#; 23-01-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old 23-01-2005, 11:02 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Hey Russ,

do you come to Wagga much? I deal with a guy at an employment agency here and he is very very good, not like most of them who are as good as used car salesmen - tell you what you want to hear even if its not true.

PM me and ill give you some details.
Old 23-01-2005, 11:09 PM   #10
Dodge
i like to be stroked

can u polish stainless ? good luck. I hope you get a great job with friendly hot ladies
Old 24-01-2005, 08:22 PM   #11
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
can u polish stainless ? good luck. I hope you get a great job with friendly hot ladies
I can polish stainless
Although you might be surprised what a (ex-) marketing student can do... _2:

Yeah, who knows about the friendly hot ladies? Maybe after 10 years or so I might have my own personal assistant :

Old 25-01-2005, 08:26 PM   #12
devil cv8

The company I presently work for has been looking for someone in sales. This entails visiting customer sites.
Photocopiers, Phones systems, computers, cash registers and all other office equipment. Our shopfront is far south coast NSW with other branches between here and Sydney. Salary being talked about is over what you mentioned above.....
if you're interested, I can PM you more info.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 08:53 PM   #13
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

This has me worried im on my final year of a BA in Bussiness in Management though I have a minor in marketing and have done alot of subjects in it. Im worried now if ill even get a job at the end.
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 12:50 PM   #14
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkau
This has me worried im on my final year of a BA in Bussiness in Management though I have a minor in marketing and have done alot of subjects in it. Im worried now if ill even get a job at the end.
Yeah unfortunately a degree doesn't really mean as much now as it used to. I did alot of (elective) subjects at uni that I thought would help me find a job (ie business ethics, industrial relations, org. behaviour, etc) but who knows if they mean anything to a potential employer.

Its strange that uni's in aust seem to teach you every concept or model in your field but when you finish uni you don't have any knowledge of how to get a job (just a pretty piece of paper!) There should be a compulsory subject on finding employment (Employment 101??!!)

If it isn't too late for you blinkau, and your uni offers it, do an internship (or similar) as one of your last subjects. Gives you some real experience in the role you want after you finish your degree. I wish I did!

Old 26-01-2005, 03:14 PM   #15
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

I had a look on gradlink myself, http://jobsearch.gov.au/government/G...spx?TextOnly=0 for anyone who is interested, and it looks like the national archives and the national museum of australia might have marketing positions available.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 09:00 PM   #16
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Dam Russ thats not good news. How do you go about gaining an internship as a subject? I study at QUT so hopefully they offer it. Pity about all this I was planning in a few weeks to signup and do the MBA but now im not too sure.
Old 26-01-2005, 10:42 PM   #17
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkau
Dam Russ thats not good news. How do you go about gaining an internship as a subject? I study at QUT so hopefully they offer it. Pity about all this I was planning in a few weeks to signup and do the MBA but now im not too sure.
I went to CSU in Albury/Wod so its a relatively small uni. I'm guessing that QUT would offer an internship as a subject...check your student handbook or someone at uni in the know (subject coordinator, etc). You could probably still do your MBA. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
I had a look on gradlink myself, http://jobsearch.gov.au/government/...aspx?TextOnly=0 for anyone who is interested, and it looks like the national archives
and the national museum of australia might have marketing positions available.
Thanks for that sourbastard, I looking right now!

: Thanks again to EVERYONE for your help. : I'm absolutey overwhelmed at how helpful everyone has been! :

Old 27-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #18
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Good luck with job Russ though im sure d up this way (brisbane) you would have a much better chance of finding work. If you go to the qut website they list jobs available for graduates you should just get some phone numbers of there and apply.
Old 27-01-2005, 09:27 PM   #19
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Yeah, thanks for that blinkau, they seem to have a good website. Unfortunately you have to be a student of QUT to access their grad. jobs page. Thanks for your help though

Old 07-02-2005, 03:00 PM   #20
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

...if any Ford (corporate) employees are watching, you know who to recommend for a marketing role don't you... :P
Old 07-02-2005, 03:27 PM   #21
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

it's all about getting your foot in the door mate, and you'll be sure to get your foot in with this enthusiasm..........internships rock, I landed one at the start of my degree and got casual work for the three years while at uni, and than 12 months full-time employment at the end of my degree. I've now done 2 /12 months, and really enjoying it even though I didn't want to be in local government.

You'll be right, just find a role and grab it with both hands!
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 04:00 PM   #22
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Yeah, thanks Pilch. As I've mentioned previously, I think my location has had a fair bit to do with my current situation (as well as a lack of experience, obviously)...Maybe I should drive to Broadmeadows one day and ask to speak with Mr Gorman...tell his secretary its an emergency...I could say that I'm Bill Ford's nephew and want to have a look at the plant (I can do good American Acents) :P

Although, I don't necessarily need to work at Ford...anywhere will be great. As you said Pilch, just need to get my foot in the door.

Last edited by #Russ#Es#; 07-02-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:34 PM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

Russ,

I'll let you know if anything is going at Hillis Ford.

If you want some easy work though, just to keep $$$ rolling in, PM me. I have a feeling my old workplace will be wanting new people soon, as i know a lot of people are leaving.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:05 PM   #24
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Talking

I've had a idea just recently of doing my own little marketing campaign to find myself a job. I thought I would start with FoMoCoOz and see how that goes...I would send a resume and application every week (or few days) to HR at Ford, but for the application letter I would use Ford slogans, but change them a bit...

ie. "The possibilities after employing me are amazing" (Territory)
"You Can't get enough of me" (Falcon range)
"I've got what the others are missing" (Courier range)
"My ....... skills have No Boundaries" (Overall Ford Slogan)

Does this sound corny? I thought that if I made my applications more personal and creative it may get more attention.

I'll try this with other organisations too...

Feedback on this would be appreciated,
Russ

Old 08-02-2005, 11:14 PM   #25
XR6Gal
Just Super Happy now :)

hehehe, very cute... give it a go, whats the worst they can say!

PhantomBA XR6 (Sold), now a VW owner (don't hold it against me )

& also a CM Valiant Wagon, gotta love the old Val's
see her progress here
NOW SOLD :( but now have a
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
XR6Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 12:14 AM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

Hell yes, go for it. The letter i wrote to the DP was written at 1am after id come home really fed up with Coles, and it was very, um, 'blunt'. One line i can remember is 'put quite simply, i want to work for you, and i'll do what it takes to get the job and get it done properly'.

2 weeks later ive got the job ive always wanted!

Go for it Russ, you have absolutely nothing to lose.

Last edited by b2tf; 09-02-2005 at 12:22 AM.
b2tf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 06:38 PM   #27
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Everyone on AFF must collectively cross their fingers for me. I applied for a rather "attractive" job today so hopefully you will hear some good news soon...although I'm not TOO hopeful.