Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-09-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 
Question Jobseeker advice

I'm currently in a situation where I've been in the job market for a couple months and currently have a role that I've applied for (and waiting for an interview) and was wanting any feedback from AFF members that have been REALLY keen on a role and what they have done to get that role.

I have knocked back 3 roles now because I'm really eager to find a role that I'm really excited about/want to stick at for the long term and with a company with the culture I'm looking for.

Anyone in HR/Recruitment are most welcome to add their input

Have you put in that little extra (research/etc) and it has paid off?
(Recruiters) Any qualities that you look for that are often overlooked?

Like alot of younger jobseekers, especially ones that have also studied, its rather frustrating to have a really good attitude and have the ability, but are knocked but due to lack of experience.

I'm rather excited about a role I've recently applied for and would appreciate some advice not just for me, but for anyone to consider when applying for a job.

P.S I'm looking in the marketing industry (marketing assistant/etc)...rather competitive and most often a case of who you know :(

Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2007, 11:58 PM   #2
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#

P.S I'm looking in the marketing industry (marketing assistant/etc)...rather competitive and most often a case of who you know :(
Have you had a look at a AdViews magazine?

The place I work for has ties in the industry - and positions are almost all filled by referrals, they are rarely advertised.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Have you had a look at a AdViews magazine?

The place I work for has ties in the industry - and positions are almost all filled by referrals, they are rarely advertised.
Thats exactly the sort of thing I'm after - will investigate that one ASAP.

Cheers Chris
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 14-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
BlackLS
yum

Sorry that was AdNews lol. I was tired

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
EdFairmontGhia
ED_Ghia

i reckon name drop as much as you can, and research into the company your trying to work for, they always like it when you demonstrate more knowledge then what is initially sought after. Show them that you will be a valuable asset to thier company by letting them know you can do other tasks and work in other areas as well as the job your applying for.
be charasmatic and make them laugh and show them you'll fit in with the group, pick up what the work culture is like then try to adopt this yourself and show them your already there, to avoid having to learn how to fit in.
Maybe do something unique with ya resume, to make it stand out? coloured paper? picture of yaself on a front cover?? mention any achievements that will blow their mind, maybe for future reference build up some volunteer work in the industry to show your really committed to that line of work plus you'll be getting that elusive experience they will want in a new worker.
mention pioneers in the field and that you know their work, etc.
In my line of work as a case manger helping with long term unemployed ppl, i find all the above helps.
plus if you believe you will get the job and are confident you will succeed at the job, you will put out that vibe which alot of ppl pick up on...
good luck
EdFairmontGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
EdFairmontGhia
ED_Ghia

http://jobs.careerone.com.au/js.php?...54&search.y=25

found this link, hope it helps
Old 14-09-2007, 12:53 PM   #7
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFairmontGhia
i reckon name drop as much as you can, and research into the company your trying to work for, they always like it when you demonstrate more knowledge then what is initially sought after. Show them that you will be a valuable asset to thier company by letting them know you can do other tasks and work in other areas as well as the job your applying for.
be charasmatic and make them laugh and show them you'll fit in with the group, pick up what the work culture is like then try to adopt this yourself and show them your already there, to avoid having to learn how to fit in.
Maybe do something unique with ya resume, to make it stand out? coloured paper? picture of yaself on a front cover?? mention any achievements that will blow their mind, maybe for future reference build up some volunteer work in the industry to show your really committed to that line of work plus you'll be getting that elusive experience they will want in a new worker.
mention pioneers in the field and that you know their work, etc.
In my line of work as a case manger helping with long term unemployed ppl, i find all the above helps.
plus if you believe you will get the job and are confident you will succeed at the job, you will put out that vibe which alot of ppl pick up on...
good luck
Thanks for the below link and above advice EdFairmontGhia, much appreciated

I think I'm going ok in the initial attraction to my application - for almost every interview I've had just recently, I've been commended on my resume and how well it is written - I have worked on it for a while, and whilst it's still not exactly where I want it, it seems to be doing its job.

I also think I interview well, its just that when it comes to the time of employment, the employer will employ someone with more experience even if their attitude/personality does not perfectly fit with the organisation. I'm a strong believer that its much easier to change the amount of experience someone has but much harder to change one's personality/attitude. But I guess, seeing things from the recruiter's point of view, if you had to choose from extensive experience and limited experience, I would choose the former.

Old 14-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
alstar5

Brilliant Post. I am in exactly the same situation at the moment. I've found a job I want, I'm so excited about it but now I just have to play the game!
2014 - 2014: AUII Futura SR
2015 - 2015: Kawasaki Ninja 650RL
2016 - 2016: Kawasaki Ninja 300
2018 - 2018: VZ Holden Commodore
2019: FG G6 Falcon
alstar5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Sorry that was AdNews lol. I was tired
Thanks again for that one.

I bought a copy yesterday and found 4 roles that I wouldn't have seen otherwise

Old 15-09-2007, 09:50 PM   #10
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstar5
Brilliant Post. I am in exactly the same situation at the moment. I've found a job I want, I'm so excited about it but now I just have to play the game!
It can be hard to appear really keen to a potential employer without annoying them! (well for me anyway!)

If you haven't already, good luck getting an interview alstar5 (and go The Shire!)

Old 16-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #11
alstar5

Hi Russ,

Thanks for the support mate. I spent 7 hours on my cover letter / response to position description etc. Hopefully I'll get an interview, though I don't think I'll hear anything for another week and a bit as applications don't close for a while.

I found a few good websites with a bit of advice / motivation for interviews:

http://www.jobseekersadvice.com/foru...pic.php?t=1462

http://www.free-resume-help.com/samp...-yourself.html

http://www.jobseekersadvice.com/foru...pic.php?t=3928

I'll be sure to post on here if I get an interview.. damn I want this job!

Good luck!
Old 16-09-2007, 11:58 PM   #12
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Hi Russ,

Thanks for the support mate. I spent 7 hours on my cover letter / response to position description etc. Hopefully I'll get an interview, though I don't think I'll hear anything for another week and a bit as applications don't close for a while.

I found a few good websites with a bit of advice / motivation for interviews:

http://www.jobseekersadvice.com/foru...pic.php?t=1462

http://www.free-resume-help.com/samp...-yourself.html

http://www.jobseekersadvice.com/foru...pic.php?t=3928

I'll be sure to post on here if I get an interview.. damn I want this job!

Good luck!
Thanks for the links, some good info in there

I'm sure the work you put into the cover letter/etc has paid off, or if not, it will soon.

Old 17-09-2007, 12:16 AM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

The only advice I have for you Russ (and anybody else who is seeking a job) is that all job agencies are scum full of lying pathetic morons who do SFA yet claim to do everything for you, and that they can all go to hell.

:
Old 17-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #14
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

You're not wrong, there are some dodgy ones out there!!

Luckily I haven't been stung by many bad ones yet - you would be mad to rely on one alone to find a role though, and rather frustrated as well!

Old 19-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #15
EdFairmontGhia
ED_Ghia

Job agencies no.. but it can be a good idea to use job recruitment agecnies to your advantage, maybe do heaps of casual stuff in the field that you want to build up your experience, then jump on a permenant position when you see it come along.
How did ya go so far Russ??
Old 19-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #16
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
The only advice I have for you Russ (and anybody else who is seeking a job) is that all job agencies are scum full of lying pathetic morons who do SFA yet claim to do everything for you, and that they can all go to hell.

:
I have to agree 100% with that. I was with three recruitment agencies and figured at least one would be useful. Well, sadly not one was.

I could name one that is a rather large household name but better not on a public forum. All I can say is if anyone has signed up with 'her' company you may feel a little less than satisfied with the help also :(

Good luck to all that are looking for jobs, I of all people know how hard it can be. I have just recently changed jobs and am rather disillusioned with the new role .. not quite what I expected :
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 07:42 PM   #17
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah mate forget the jobseeker advice, have you seen the ad in the paper asking for MORE jobseekers?? wtf

best way i find is to show your enthusiastic (use spell check as well) by emailing the resume, hand it in in person maybe even setup an interview or if possible a quick chat...most places not possible

resume is the first thing they see before they see you usually, 1 page and too the point no colour no pictures but make it professional looking (word has some alright templates)

dress to the occasion for an interview or even when dropping the resume in

thats all the jobseeker advice givers will tell you, but i learnt from the head of QLD youth job recruiting or something like that all the fine details

PM me if you need more info

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #18
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
I'm currently in a situation where I've been in the job market for a couple months and currently have a role that I've applied for (and waiting for an interview) and was wanting any feedback from AFF members that have been REALLY keen on a role and what they have done to get that role.

I have knocked back 3 roles now because I'm really eager to find a role that I'm really excited about/want to stick at for the long term and with a company with the culture I'm looking for.

Anyone in HR/Recruitment are most welcome to add their input

Have you put in that little extra (research/etc) and it has paid off?
(Recruiters) Any qualities that you look for that are often overlooked?

Like alot of younger jobseekers, especially ones that have also studied, its rather frustrating to have a really good attitude and have the ability, but are knocked but due to lack of experience.

I'm rather excited about a role I've recently applied for and would appreciate some advice not just for me, but for anyone to consider when applying for a job.

my experiance tell me that the last lineof your post somes it all up.
we grow up in a world thinking that education, hard work and a great attitude will help us acheive goals . reality is that this train of thought leaves you open to explotation , and may one day get you there , but not in a hurry. RELATIVES ,FRIENDS,AND COURAGE to sell yourself / combined with a will to cut the toes off those around you seem to be the trick, unfortunately though, high staff turnovers accompany these types of roles . unless your related to the business or financially involved .
GOOD LUCK !!!!
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #19
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFairmontGhia
Job agencies no.. but it can be a good idea to use job recruitment agecnies to your advantage, maybe do heaps of casual stuff in the field that you want to build up your experience, then jump on a permenant position when you see it come along.
How did ya go so far Russ??
I actually got an email today from the company with the role I was rather keen on, but didn't even get an interview - am a little disappointed, but their loss

Plenty more great roles out there, just need to know where to look.

UPDATE: Just got a phone call from a (hopefully decent!) agency - they're forwarding my details to 2 companies that seem rather interested (or so they say...)

Old 20-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #20
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
my experiance tell me that the last line of your post somes it all up.
we grow up in a world thinking that education, hard work and a great attitude will help us acheive goals . reality is that this train of thought leaves you open to explotation , and may one day get you there , but not in a hurry. RELATIVES ,FRIENDS,AND COURAGE to sell yourself / combined with a will to cut the toes off those around you seem to be the trick, unfortunately though, high staff turnovers accompany these types of roles . unless your related to the business or financially involved .
GOOD LUCK !!!!
I hate it when I know I'm right! Silly thing is, someone with more experience than me may not necessarily be the best person for the job - they just carry less risk.

Thanks for the good luck - I'm sure something will eventuate soon, sometimes good things come to those who wait (even if it makes you a little poor!!). Damn I hate being a picky jobseeker!!

Old 21-09-2007, 12:15 AM   #21
alstar5

Bad Luck Russ, but as you said mate, it's because it wasn't the job for you. I'm sure you'll get what you want soon.

I'm handing my cover letter and resume in tomorrow (I did email it but I think it'd be nicer to also hand deliver a copy). Apps close tomorrow so hopefully I'll hear something next week. An interview, then maybe a job offer.... that'd be so nice. I hope I get this job!
Old 23-09-2007, 12:24 AM   #22
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Bad Luck Russ, but as you said mate, it's because it wasn't the job for you. I'm sure you'll get what you want soon.

I'm handing my cover letter and resume in tomorrow (I did email it but I think it'd be nicer to also hand deliver a copy). Apps close tomorrow so hopefully I'll hear something next week. An interview, then maybe a job offer.... that'd be so nice. I hope I get this job!
Hope you hear some good news some time next week alstar. Putting a face to a resume/application/etc definitely won't hurt your chances.

Old 23-09-2007, 12:42 AM   #23
Kryton

you know what really makes you look good?
already having a job.
it shows you are keen to work, you WANT to work and you wont settle for second best.
sure, loyalty can be questioned, but 90% of the time, they will consider someone more highly if they already have a job over someone that just bums around all day doing nothing.
i would take what you get offered, use it as a base/reference/whatever, and then try and get the job you really want.

as for employment agencies, i have been through a few in my time and i can honestly say, while some of them do take the time to help you and look after you, at the end of the day, i have gotten all my jobs outside of the agencies.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #24
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
you know what really makes you look good?
already having a job.
it shows you are keen to work, you WANT to work and you wont settle for second best.
sure, loyalty can be questioned, but 90% of the time, they will consider someone more highly if they already have a job over someone that just bums around all day doing nothing.
i would take what you get offered, use it as a base/reference/whatever, and then try and get the job you really want.

as for employment agencies, i have been through a few in my time and i can honestly say, while some of them do take the time to help you and look after you, at the end of the day, i have gotten all my jobs outside of the agencies.
I guess it comes down to if you one wants to stay in a role they really don't like or if they have the guts to move on. I guess there's risk involved there, but then again I think it can definitely be worth it.

And just because I'm not working atm, it doesn't mean I don't want to work or won't settle for settle for second best - on the contrary.

Thanks for your advice

(btw before you shoot off about it looking better having a job, maybe have some have consideration for the possible reasons why one may not be working and looking for work)

Old 18-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #25
alstar5

-----BUMP-------

Some advice would be really appreciated by people on the forum. It looks like I have a job that I've had my heart set on for a while now. I've been told I was successful in the interview and just had my medical yesterday (govt. job). But the problem now is I've been out of work for 4 weeks now and my bank account has about $80 left in it.

I've been told by HR that if all goes according to plan it can take 6 weeks from the interview to actually starting, speaking to other people working in the same job, they have said it took around 3 months!!!

I'm in a position that I haven't been in before and I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice. I'm currently sitting at home with nothing to do, waiting for a phone call hopefully giving me a starting date, though they haven't even really told me I have the job yet for sure. (Congrats you were successful in interview, we need you to do a pre-employment medical).

Is it worth my while looking for some temporary work? I've had a look at seek and there seems to be very little available right now (short 2 weeks assignments are what I'm after). I could sit it out another 4 weeks at home and "relax" but with hardly any money it makes for a very boring 4 weeks and if the job falls through then I'm really stuffed.

Would it be rude to call my potential employer and ask for an update? Bearing in mind I had my medical only yesterday.

Thanks Guys,

Alstar
Old 18-10-2007, 11:45 PM   #26
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I just quit a job because my pervy old boss was more interested in staring at my chest then in what I could actually do to improve his company. I "put the word" out I was looking for a new job and within 24hrs was offered 5 jobs! If you know what field you want to work in and what you are good at then the world is your oyster! Money is nothing cept a necessary evil! If I have to spend over 40 hours a week working in a place that I spend more time with than my family...I would prefer it was something I want to get out of bed for in the morning!

Know what job you want and don't let anyone tell you it's not the job for you. Make yourself feel good everyday and worry about the money afterwards. If you have to force yourself to get out of bed every morning to face the day...then it ain;t worth it...life is too short!!

Good luck with the job hunting and fingers crossed it makes ya heart sing!!
Old 19-10-2007, 12:16 AM   #27
Kryton

Quote:
And just because I'm not working atm, it doesn't mean I don't want to work or won't settle for settle for second best - on the contrary.
Thanks for your advice
(btw before you shoot off about it looking better having a job, maybe have some have consideration for the possible reasons why one may not be working and looking for work)
ok, first up: i wasnt having a go at you about anything.
i am talking from an employers point of view. yes there are people that are unemployed that want to work, BUT there are also people who dont want to work but have been FORCED (by agencies/centrelink) to hand in a resume so they can continue getting the dole.
there isnt a single resume in this country that will state which applicant is in which box.
by turning down jobs that have been offered to you, you are NOT making yourself stand out from the rest of the dregs. you are simply stating that you dont want to unless it suits you. that isnt a good look from an employers point of view.
now we come back to what i was saying about already having a job. it DOES show you want to work, it does show your are keen, it does show you want to contribute to society (yes, there are exceptions).
i hope you can understand what i have written. take it from the eyes of an employer. im not saying your a bum or you dont want to work or anything like that. im simply saying if you are really keen, make it look like your really keen.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2007, 03:39 AM   #28
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Russ & other Job Hunters ...(this is very long , pass if you wish)

Employment hunting can be a very frustrating thing , don't expect to find the perfect job "straight up" . Every Business has different Ideas . I'll go through a few and see if they make sense to you. I know this is not the area you want to get into , but might explain a few things .

I was involved in a few of businesses in 20 odd years , some on my own , some as a partner .

When I ran my own Retail Business (Musical Instruments) and needed to employ someone , not all the time I looked for "Experienced" staff . A lot of time I looked "past" that . I would rather train them myself .
A person who is experienced has been trained by "someone else's selling techniques" and didn't always suit what I wanted , they were trained to be a "high pressure" salesmen which wasn't for me , my idea was someone who's personality sold stock (not always the most expensive , either) , not "arm twisting" . A client who was happy and comfortable with their purchase was better than one who took their goods home and think "Wow , that's not what I really wanted" . Unhappy clients/customers don't help your Business . Yet , other Businesses only wanted the sale and get the customer out the front door and their money in the Till.
If a "High Pressure" salesman (eg Insurance or Advertising, sorry guy's) came into my shop , and started "Raving On" , I'd stop them mid sentence and ask them " How did you come in here" ,
answer " Through the door" (while looking at me oddly)
Then I'd tell them , "Find it again and keep going" , couldn't stand pushy people .

With my "Music School" , mainly Guitar but also Piano & Drums (8 casual staff) , I'd look for someone who could "teach" a person to play . I had some applicants who could "Play the ears off the Best" , but they couldn't "teach" , so I would pick the person who might not be quite as good , but could "impart" that knowledge to the pupil .
================================
When I was a Partner in an "Auction Centre" , liquidating Computer Companies (plenty of them around late 80's early 90's). Auctions on Saturdays , Retailing through the week , we would look for "different"styles of salesmen . What we needed were 3 types .

1/ Someone who could talk to the "Average Joe" off the street and "not talk over their heads" .

2/ Computer "Geek's" who could could talk k/bites , Megabites , Ram , Motherboard Spec's etc.

3/ High Pressure , twist your arm type guys , who could convince Corporate Clients that their Business would "go down the drain" if they didn't have this or that type of gear .

Hows that for a variety in the one place .
What I'm trying to get at is , don't feel " down " because you didn't get a job at the company that YOU want to work for , it's a 2 way street .

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
The only advice I have for you Russ (and anybody else who is seeking a job) is that all job agencies are scum full of lying pathetic morons who do SFA yet claim to do everything for you, and that they can all go to hell.:
My Daughter found that out b2tf ,
She'd worked at a T/Away after school at 14 , when she left after Yr12 , she went to Mission Impossible (Employment) , wanted an apprenticeship as a Hairdresser in Canberra , so they lined her up "a Job" , Interview 9-30am (we live 2 hours away) , when she got there , it was for a "Manicurist" ? ? ? When she got home that night (buggered of course) there was a message for her . "Interview with a Solicitor NEXT morning , 9am Milsons Point , Nth Sydney " and we're 4 hrs west of Parramatta , Have a guess where the Morons Work ? ...so she stuck at the T/Away for a while .
Long story "Very Short" ...
Went to Sydney for a couple of day's mid March , visited her cousin for morning cuppa , cousins Boss had cuppa with them , after daughter left , cousins boss , said "tell her to see this Employment Agency & they will expect her call" , One interview , 2 hrs later told she starts work 14th April . Loves job , had promotion last Monday , sometimes you've just got to be patient and a "door will open". Job is at an Airline that doesn't crash

Russ , be patient , even if you've got to get a "fill-in" job , the Right one will turn up , just takes time . Better to wait and get a good job than rush in and cop "a bummer" I'd imagine there's a lot of people looking for work in your field at the moment 5-6 months time demand could be different ....... ( I also hope this will help someone else too )

Norm .
(any prizes for the longest post or a Ban :yeees: )

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2007, 10:34 AM   #29
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just landed my first graduate offers (engineer), and here's what I've found.

Get any offer first. It doesn't matter who for, or doing what, as long as its in the industry you're trying to get into. I applied for a small automation business which I frankly thought was beneath my skills. After 2 quick laid back interviews, I got an offer.

This gives you a bargaining chip. Now ring up the places you really want to work for. Tell them you already have an offer expiring in a limited time, and they'll bend over backwards to get you in the door for an interview.

In my case, through a contact, I was put onto Worley Parsons in Mackay. They rang me for just an investigatory phone interview, where I mentioned the initial offer was expiring in a fortnight. Wednesday the next week (which was last Wednesday), they flew me to meet them, and in my hands at the moment I have an offer at a higher salary, and better training program.

There was another company I had an application in, and was keen for, called NEMMCO. A couple of days after the initial screening phone interview, I rang them back and told them of the two other offers, and asked what sort of time frame they had in mind for 2nd interviews until offers, as well as numerous questions about their program to show I had interest. The HR lady said they weren't planning on holding the very first interviews until the week starting the 29th, but she'd make some phone calls to see what she could do. 15 minutes later she rang me back with an interview date for next Friday.

Next step, if I get an offer from them as well, play them off against each other...

Its not an easy process, I've been looking on and off for the last 6 months, but just get a foot in any door, and others will open.

Comming soon: T04Z, plenum, TrueTrac.
donno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #30
carnutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by donno
I've just landed my first graduate offers (engineer), and here's what I've found.

Get any offer first. It doesn't matter who for, or doing what, as long as its in the industry you're trying to get into. I applied for a small automation business which I frankly thought was beneath my skills. After 2 quick laid back interviews, I got an offer.
Its not an easy process, I've been looking on and off for the last 6 months, but just get a foot in any door, and others will open.
Good Stuff , donno ,
"Doors will open for you" , Answer every "Knock"

Good Luck.

Oi , Watch it . Or I'll Rip Your BLUDDY Arm's Orf
carnutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post