Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #91
Kevaclone

Default Re: Is all wheel drive necessary or a gimmick for most cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Whilst I'm not doubting what you have written, personally I have never seen a 2WD 100 series Landcruiser, nor a 2WD 4 Runner in person, despite dealing with a large Toyota dealership for 8 years. I'm fairly sure the 4 Runner is called that, because it is a 4WD . The name is actually a Toyota Hilux 4 runner. The normal Hilux was available in 2WD and 4WD.

IMA, the 100 series Landcruiser, I am fairly confident, has been discontinued. The new model is the 200 series.

I am happily correct though.

As I said not here in Australia, I have seen the underside of 4Runners in the US and definitely 2WD, these were around 2006 models(not sold here as 4Runner was replaced with Prado around 94)as for the 100 series I am only going on a conversation in a US Toyota group with interior pics of said vehicle with no 4WD/Hi/Lo lever(100 series GXL and higher had button for 4WD but lever for Hi/Lo)

I've also seen factory 1984 LWB Hilux(Tacoma) extra cab 2WD(again in the US)

I have never seen a 4Runner with a Hilux badge(mine certainly didn't) and the handbook called it just Toyota 4Runner, the US had 4Runner and Tacoma(no Hilux)
the Surf was always a Hilux Surf

Yes you are correct the 100 series model ceased late 2007

Back on topic sort of, there are kits available to convert Constant 4WD cruisers to part time 4WD because there are claims it uses less fuel and causes less wear to the front drive components, they also suffer from torque steer. I have noticed some of this in the Prado, but only since the tyres are almost worn out

My Parents own a 95 Liberty AWD and it gets a workout every day as their driveway puts some 4WD tracks to shame every time it rains(they live 1/2 way up a hill) So for them AWD is a must. Can't comment on fuel usage as it runs LPG which uses more fuel anyway
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Old 06-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #92
ryanstev

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd
Take the Subaru Liberty - its not going to be driven to its limits to need 4WD by the types of people who drive it.
I have a Subaru Legacy (Liberty) B4, twin turbo, I use the AWD to its limits, quite often.
Most people have no idea how nice it is to be able to floor a car from a stop, uphill, in the rain, around a corner, or even all three and not spin the wheels, just rocketing ahead.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #93
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanstev
I have a Subaru Legacy (Liberty) B4, twin turbo, I use the AWD to its limits, quite often.
Most people have no idea how nice it is to be able to floor a car from a stop, uphill, in the rain, around a corner, or even all three and not spin the wheels, just rocketing ahead.
The one good thing about a RAV4 I drove a while back was the AWD and locking transfer case stuck like glue when
launching on a rainy hill, same hill my FG R6 wheel spun terribly and FWD Focus auto was a right pain
Old 07-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #94
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Since this appears to be the pointless argument thread: V8's are better than I6T's
and anyone who disagrees is a poopyhead
Old 07-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #95
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Well actually yes you should have to own one
If what you said is correct, then test-driving cars is a waste of time, because you won't know until you have bought the car. Company owners know more about their fleet than the people who drive them, and journalists are wasting their time. Heck even the engineers who make the cars don't know what they are making until they buy one.
As for your cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
As for your cons (in AWD vs 2WD)

(higher) weight = wrong
(higher) fuel cons = wrong
bogs down (off the line) = wrong
(higher) price = wrong
more to go wrong = your scraping the barrel there
for freaks sake, go take a physics class.

Let's compare vehicles that have a 2wd and AWD option, so we are comparing apples to apples, shall we?

Ford Taurus AWD PRICE: $1,850 option

FWD: 19 city/ 29 hwy/23 combined
AWD: 18 city/ 26 hwy/21 combined

Let's look at another

Dodge Charger R/T

AWD option $2350
rwd: 16/25, awd:15/23

If you are having trouble with understanding it, AWD is more expensive and uses more fuel!

Weights not listed on website, but I am sure you are correct. The rear driveshaft and diff don't weigh anything! LOL.

Last edited by chevypower; 07-04-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #96
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
maybe take a look at your boy spinning at symmoms last week. in an awd car, he would not have been able to light up the tyres and turn it on the throttle.
Spun and Won
Old 07-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #97
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly
Spun and Won
1, won or both

i don't think anyone has actually put down awd's drivability - someone just thought outside the square and posted a fact and the mob tried to lynch him

as some have said - awd is not necessary, nor is it a gimmick
if i ever build my mega dollar coupe, awd will be an option - not the only option, but to discount it without looking into it's benefits would be foolish
Old 07-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #98
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spun.....as in going round and round in circles?

Yep I can see that in this thread thread.
Closed Thread