Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Question Clunk in Front End: Fixed then Un-Fixed?

Hey AU-vians,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice...

My XR8 had a 'stuttering clunk' under brakes (and a clunk when accelerating on full steering lock) which my mechanic fixed by replacing the front upper shock mount bushes. This fixed the problem and front end was smooth as silk.

I only drive the AU on weekends (and not every single one) so it took me a couple of months to get the front end alignment my mechanic suggested, but in that time I drove the car several times and it was fine (bar the steering feeling odd when the steering wheel was slightly off centre)

After finally getting the alignment done on Saturday the steering feels great, but after a long drive, the clunk under brakes is back (mainly on the front right) is there something that could've happened as a result of the alignment to cause the clunk to come back? (not necessarily shoddy work but some sort of spillover effect?)

I'm not sure if I should contact the Tyre place or my mechanic regarding this.

LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Clunk in Front End: Fixed then Un-Fixed?

Maybe both, my au was in an accident, i was told by two mechs that the rack needed replacing, it didn’t but needed the switch done. My clunk was the lower ball joints, which got done on Friday, front end is still noisy, the wheel is slightly off to left, it was far right, after wheel alignment its smooth now, i am thinking i have a damaged tyre, i have low profile tyres with king super lows so its a bone jarring ride anyway. I’d check the trye and wear on the tyre, it needs to be jacked up so you can gauge if the wheel when moves makes the sound, ball joints do when pulled up and down, wheel bearings will be more of side pull. A trip to the hoist sounds like a good idea.
Old 18-02-2013, 03:47 AM   #3
peterljohnson55

I may have a similar problem under braking - certainly a series of stuttering clunky sounds. However, not evident under intentionally very heavy braking until I eased off the brakes to come ot a stop.

How does yours behave under heavy braking?
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

warped discs are the main reason au falcons shudder, but for mine its when going down the toowoomba range.