Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 04-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
perthjay85
Starter Motor

Default standard deck has amp pre outs or not???

Hey everyone
My gf is taking deliver of a 2008 zetec mondeo sedan tomorrow or wednesday and she is keen to put a sub in the car, i was just wondering if anyone knows if the mp3 deck has amp pre outs or not?
thankyou for any help in advance

perthjay85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I would just about put the house on a bet that it does not! RCA preouts on factory audio is extremely rare.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2008, 11:19 PM   #3
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthjay85
Hey everyone
My gf is taking deliver of a 2008 zetec mondeo sedan tomorrow or wednesday and she is keen to put a sub in the car, i was just wondering if anyone knows if the mp3 deck has amp pre outs or not?
thankyou for any help in advance
The car has 8 speakers so I assume 1 is a sub go to the setup menu and adjust the Bass to suit your gf needs its called Low Frequency from memory

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 01:16 AM   #4
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
The car has 8 speakers so I assume 1 is a sub go to the setup menu and adjust the Bass to suit your gf needs its called Low Frequency from memory

apstar
No sub with factory system.

Plus I am also 110% sure there would be no pre-outs on the back of the factory head unit.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:25 AM   #5
warren77

The bass is reasonable from the Sony 8 speaker system. Never really been a fan of Sony Speakers but it is livable. At least, not a high priority to be changing over to some other speakers.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 08:48 AM   #6
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Ive pulled mine out.

There is definitely 100% NO pre-outs unfortunately.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
perthjay85
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
Ive pulled mine out.

There is definitely 100% NO pre-outs unfortunately.
ok thankyou everyone for all of your help, im sure the stock sound system is quite bassy but if she is anything like me there is a MAJOR difference between any stock sub and an aftermarket sub.

once again thankyou for all of your replies.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
ok thankyou everyone for all of your help, im sure the stock sound system is quite bassy but if she is anything like me there is a MAJOR difference between any stock sub and an aftermarket sub.

Just to confirm…… there is no sub fitted. When they say 8 speakers they are talking about splits in the front = 4, and 2 x 2 way in the rear doors = another 4! Making a total of 8. Which while being technically correct is quite misleading.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
perthjay85
Starter Motor

dont worry and thankyou paulie0735 i had that same exact issue when i took deliver of my dodge.

splits are considered speakers to all manufacturers because its more of a sales point to call them speakers instead of whats commonly known as tweeters
Old 06-08-2008, 01:18 AM   #10
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
Just to confirm…… there is no sub fitted. When they say 8 speakers they are talking about splits in the front = 4, and 2 x 2 way in the rear doors = another 4! Making a total of 8. Which while being technically correct is quite misleading.
I thought the had splits in the rear door too? Last time I checked mine did?!? :
Old 06-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8
I thought the had splits in the rear door too? Last time I checked mine did?!? :
You’re absolutely right, my bad! In hindsight I guess 8 speakers is a reasonable statement. Splits front and rear.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #12
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well we are talking STEREO here since it's a CD player if like the UK version or any other car that has Sat Nav and is used also as a DVD player then its a 5.1 system with the .1 being a sub so 4 speakers for the left channel and 4 for the right in the Mondeo but each speaker could be a Bass+Tweeter+Midrange
apstar
Old 06-08-2008, 06:00 PM   #13
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure if that’s correct either! I understand 5.1 to mean left, right, front, back and the fifth being the centre or 'voice' channel. .1 is the low frequency or sub bass outlet.

If the Mondeo had 8 speakers with bass, midrange and tweeters Ford would advertise the system as a 24 speaker system which naturally is ridiculous but it’s effectively what they do now when they advertise splits as being 2 speakers. Home theater systems don’t count individual speaker components like that!! A quality 5.1 home system has the main fronts which can usually house 2 main drivers, 2 mids and a tweeter or horn. Than the rears which are normally a mid and a tweeter, than there’s a sub and a voice or centre speaker which could house up to 5 separate speaker cones, if they (home theater manufacturers) followed the same logic as the car manufacturers they would be advertising a the system described above as a 20 speaker sound system!!! People would naturally expect to see 20 speakers so how would you react if you got it home and there were only 6!! I think you would feel cheated or at the very least be of the opinion that they the advertisement was misleading!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #14
warren77

Quote:

My previous Liberty had a 10" sub in a box in the boot, with 4 x 6.5" MBQuart speakers in it. Great bass all round.

But I am quite happy with the Mondeo stereo (comparing it to the Liberty) and find there is enough drive in the bass. The missus complains if there is too much bass anyways! Maybe I am just getting old
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #15
perthjay85
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
My previous Liberty had a 10" sub in a box in the boot, with 4 x 6.5" MBQuart speakers in it. Great bass all round.

But I am quite happy with the Mondeo stereo (comparing it to the Liberty) and find there is enough drive in the bass. The missus complains if there is too much bass anyways! Maybe I am just getting old
haha thanks for the input warren77, me personally i love bass and deck out all my cars, so as soon as the missus says she wants it i will do it just because i love doing the installs.

for anyone looking to add a sub there is a company
http://pac-audio.com/ (sorry im not sure if advertising is allowed on this forum, if not i apologize)
but this company makes units that attach to the wiring harnes behind the deck and it provides up to 4channel output for amps. so far they havent got one for my nitro without factory sub or the mondeo, but i have emailed them to see if they are able to do one for the mondeo.

Last edited by perthjay85; 07-08-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #16
monkeyboy666

General question - How do your speakers handle bass? (ie volume of '17' or so...) My rear drivers side is very distorted and buzzy if I turn it up too much - is that just natures way of saying its too loud or is it a problem that I should get fixed??
monkeyboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #17
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy666
General question - How do your speakers handle bass? (ie volume of '17' or so...) My rear drivers side is very distorted and buzzy if I turn it up too much - is that just natures way of saying its too loud or is it a problem that I should get fixed??
Both the front and rear drivers side speakers have a rattle sound on mine with the volume anywhere above 8. All getting replaced, just waiting for my dealer to get the parts.

I think I have only ever had the volume up to 12 or 13, its pretty loud and still clear. I would not be surprised if they distort at anything over 15.

Just for the comparison sake I have mine setup as following:
Treble: 6
Mid: 2
Bass: 6
EQ: Rock
Old 09-09-2008, 01:12 AM   #18
sandgroper
Starter Motor

Default wiring colours

Hi all,since you are talking about stereos, does anybody have an idea about the 95 model mondeo wiring colours for the stereo? i would like to change the tape deck for a pioneer cd player I have.The speaker wires are the same colours, but the other wires for acc, main power,earth etc are all different.I dont really want to short somthing out by connecting the wrong wires!!!Any help would be useful, I am tired of listening to local radio its driving me nuts!!!!! :
sandgroper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 02:53 AM   #19
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Just go buy a multimeter. Cut back a tiny bit of the wires that you don't know, and test the voltages. Constant power will have +13 or +14V with the accessories off. Ground will have -13 to -14V. Accessories & remote wire will have +14V with the ignition set to ACC.
There should be two thicker wires. These will be the constant power and ground wires. The ground is often a black wire with a green tracer. Constant power could be an orange with purple tracer, and accessories a yellow with green tracer. Check for those wires first.

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #20
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgroper
Hi all,since you are talking about stereos, does anybody have an idea about the 95 model mondeo wiring colours for the stereo? i would like to change the tape deck for a pioneer cd player I have.The speaker wires are the same colours, but the other wires for acc, main power,earth etc are all different.I dont really want to short somthing out by connecting the wrong wires!!!Any help would be useful, I am tired of listening to local radio its driving me nuts!!!!! :
go to the speakers disconnect one of the wires use the multimeter as RJO89 suggested switch to resistance mode if the existing unit has a plug all the better the meter should should read 0.00 or close 0.03 when the same cable is found if the unit does not have a plug disconnect the unit completely from power [fuse] use a PIN to piece the plastic of the cable do the same for each speaker if you are still confused pm me and i will draw it out for you

apstar
Old 11-09-2008, 12:14 AM   #21
sandgroper
Starter Motor

Default wiring

Thanks for the help guys, already have a multimeter,I will try out what you suggested and let you know how it goes!! I'll be listening to CDs before you know it.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:51 AM   #22
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are sub-woofers adaptors that can sniff the signal from any speaker like the earlier Home Theater type before the latest that take a pre-amp out of the AVR the older type had speaker clips on the back for L & R input from the speakers an internal filter knocked the high frequency and mid-range out and what was left was the lower frequency somewhere in my shed I made one up worked quite well in my old Renault R8

apstar
Old 11-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #23
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you and me........ we gotsta talk!!
Old 11-09-2008, 11:34 PM   #24
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30309/article.html
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30334/article.html

apstar
Old 19-09-2008, 12:54 AM   #25
sandgroper
Starter Motor

Default boppin away

Thanks for your help with the cd player install, finally got around to letting you know how it went.Those multimeter readings were spot on,the standard deck is a bugger to get out if you dont have the right pins to put down the side!!! Luckily my brother in law used to have an EL sedan and had some laying around.Soooo much easier with the right tools!The wiring could get confusing without a multimeter,as the pioneer cd player had red = acc and yellow= battery,the mondeo was the opposite,yellow = acc and red = battery!,Now I just have to fit some 6 inch speakers in the doors and that should improve on the factory speakers quite well.