Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 18-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Torquer
Starter Motor

Default Steering wheel wobble

Just looking for thoughts on this issue. I'm experiencing slight steering wheel wobble at low to mid range speeds and it occurs intermittently depending (I think) on the quality of the road surface. I've had the wheels aligned and balanced but it still occurs. Not sure if I'm being too pedantic or expecting too much. The movement is probably only about 4-5mm but I really expect a steering wheel to be virtually stable. Any comments before I go back to the dealer? Vehicle is 2011 MC Zetec Diesel Wagon.

Torquer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: Steering wheel wobble

Maybe a slightly out of round tyre ??
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I suspect from what you have written, the problem is actually the road surface and nothing to do with the car itself...The tyre is a lowish profile, therefore doesn't lend itself to absorbing bumps on the road surface.....So it will transfer this through the steering wheel giving you the wobble you describe....

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquer View Post
Just looking for thoughts on this issue. I'm experiencing slight steering wheel wobble at low to mid range speeds and it occurs intermittently depending (I think) on the quality of the road surface. I've had the wheels aligned and balanced but it still occurs. Not sure if I'm being too pedantic or expecting too much. The movement is probably only about 4-5mm but I really expect a steering wheel to be virtually stable. Any comments before I go back to the dealer? Vehicle is 2011 MC Zetec Diesel Wagon.
Hi Mate,

Here is a thread I started, it might be of some assistance... http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11381397

Let me know how you go!
Old 18-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
JimStone

Had similar issue on 2011 Zetec Ecoboost Hatch with a/market 18" rims (fitted at 1,000klms) - problem plagued me for the last 21,000klms. Just changed to directional Yokohama tyres and it's like chalk and cheese, no vibration at any speed with the steering wheel rock steady and a much nicer drive all round.
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Nearly 30yrs ago we changed from nasty Barum tyres to (still cheapish) Kleber on a little Mazda 808 wagon. Simple change fixed the meanderings of the car down the road and it stopped better too.
More recently, last year I changed my Mondeo XR5s OEM Continental ContactSport2 to Yokohama C-Drive. Hey presto, no more aquaplaning on slightly wet roads and no more tramlining.

Tyres are the only thing that keeps your butt off the road.
Don't skimp on quality, and price does not necessarily = quality.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Torquer
Starter Motor

Thanks for the imput everyone.
Ope126 thread was quite interesting because it does seem to be a bit more prevelent on cold tyres. It also seems worse the larger the camber on the road. I expected that low profile tyres may have an input but this problem hasn't always been there. Thanks for the suggestion of putting on Yokohamas next time - will defenitely look at it. If you can provide specific details and cost it would be appreciated. In the meantime I might have a chat with the dealer.
Thanks again for the replies.
Old 19-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
JimStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquer View Post
Thanks for the suggestion of putting on Yokohamas next time - will defenitely look at it. If you can provide specific details and cost it would be appreciated. In the meantime I might have a chat with the dealer.
Thanks again for the replies.
Yokohama A drive R1 235/40ZR18, on special at Bob Jane Tmarts for $199.00 a corner fitted and balanced.
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

JimStone - that's a great price - currently listed at $254 RRP.
I paid $275ea last year for my slightly higher spec C-Drive Yokies 235/40x18 W95. I thought that price was much better than the OEM Contis @ $400ea, and then the car drove heaps better too.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
Torquer
Starter Motor

Latest Update.
The dealer looked at the car again this week and advised that they believe it's a tyre issue. They rotated the tyres again (I think this the third time in 3 months) and rebalanced them (again for a third time 3 months). So far it seems to have fixed the problem - but I've only driven a short time. Makes one wonder how well the job was done previously. Will still look at changing the tyres to Yokohamas when next due.
Old 24-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
stuart

I just had my winter tyres swapped back to the OEM Continental ContactSport2 tyres for summer and noticed exactly the same feeling.
Steering has become quite twitchy and ruts / bumps in the road have quite an effect on the stability of the car. One handed steering is not really possible with these tyres.

Trouble is I don't think I will get enough Ks on the tyres to change them over given our seasonal half year use of one tyre.
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post