Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 23-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
XR8320
"You were amazing"

Default ST24 for first car?

Hi there,

I am member here mainly on the Territory forum, I am after some advice, my son is looking at his first car and likes the look of the ST24.

Are there nay major problems / issues we should be looking for if purchasing one of these?

Is around 5K a reasonable price?

Thanks

XR8320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I wanted one of these aswell. $5k is a good price, the only stuff to get overly worried about is basically the engine I think, it was unique on the Mondeo but shared with the Cougar, so maybe its not too bad.

Other than finding a decent mechanic who doesn't have a brain fart if its not a commy/falc you should be ok.

Full history is a must, id imagine a belt/chain change would be required around 100,000 k's if not less.

edit: also I guess the body kit could be hard to source but im sure uk ebay would have heaps of stuff...think it was a ST200 there.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Just to add....Is this the one?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Mondeo-S...item27b69e18dc

Those k's are about right for the age. When I was looking a few years ago it seemed a top notch one was around the 7-9k mark.

For a first car its great, enough power but not to much, manual, good interior, looks nice but not over the top and it has enough safety features.

The only downside I can see is sourcing any odd parts and maybe insurance as it would be a little higher than say a falcon.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 23-11-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Hi there,

I owned a Cougar for about 3.5years and I'll give you the run down on the ST24 because it's exactly the same underneath. The 2.5 Duratec V6 is rock solid. Regular oil changes and upgrade your leads/plugs as per normal and you shouldn't have a problem. Key things to look out for are bearing/hub wear and CV joints. The ST24 isn't a slouch, though not the fastest car by today's standards. However, a a front wheel drive, these parts are known to wear. Listen out for suspension squeeks as the bushes do wear after 100,000kms.

Only downside is part pricing. DO NOT get parts from Ford and try to avoid local dealers as they charge an arm and a leg. Find out what you need and order it from the states/europe. They had more of these cars and have plentiful stock on parts, so they are MUCH cheaper.

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

They are okay but for simliar money you will get something like a 3gen Subaru Liberty RX..

If you ask me the Subaru's a better car but then again we just sold one with 270,000 kms on the odo that never had anything done to it other then servicing every 10,000 kms brake pads, rotors and tyres..

Biggest problem with mondeo is spare parts... Subarus are AWD, have ABS and airbags.. safety is a big thing for me when looking for a first car and a tight budget.

Good luck!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post