Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 18-10-2008, 01:15 AM   #1
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Default Spoke to a XR5 Turbo owner today...

Hi all,

Spoke to a guy today at the local shops. XR5 Mondeo in chill or thunder i think, parked infront of our stardust one. He came over and had a quick chat about the cars. Apparently he's got the powerchip installed. 192kws. only issue is a bit of torque steer

So if you're on the forum, good to chat with someone who's into their Modneo as much as we are

Cheers

George

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar-Boy
Hi all,
. Apparently he's got the powerchip installed. 192kws. only issue is a bit of torque steer
Some say issue, others say great fun ;-)
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

that's what i was thinking

Old 18-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't that technically modifying the car as far as Insurance is concerned y/n?

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Yep, does count. you've changed the car's performance from the factory settings.

Old 18-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #6
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
Isn't that technically modifying the car as far as Insurance is concerned y/n?

apstar

I asked RACQ if they'd insure me if I chipped my Mondeo they said no and when I did on online quote with AAMI I put in that it 'was' chipped and it came out at a cheaper price than RACQ offered. Insurers must look at it differently, you'd think they'd have a standard view on chipping an engine.

When I was talking with RACQ they also said I could lower the car up to 40mm before they would not insure it.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2008, 12:24 AM   #7
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't trust them one bit unless it's in writing,they will get you under the "Disclosure" statement

apstar
Old 19-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

There is no way the insurance companies can trace an ECU modification. Not even the dealers can get that far into the software, only the factory software engineers can, so any serious power train failure is gunna come out of your own pocket, but insurance! nuh, don't see that being an issue.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
There is no way the insurance companies can trace an ECU modification. Not even the dealers can get that far into the software, only the factory software engineers can, so any serious power train failure is gunna come out of your own pocket, but insurance! nuh, don't see that being an issue.
But if the ECU modification is done during the 3 year warranty period it should therefore be covered based on what you said about the dealer? now I admit I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to cars so can say the TDCi take the extra grunt!

apstar
Old 19-10-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

This is the subject of much debate but the dealer guys don't have the full read / write access to the ECU, they can flash an update and diagnose faults etc but they can't get far enough in to detect the mods........ but the factory boys can!! Minor claims are not gunna be a problem but any serious power train claim will likely come to the attention of the factory engineers so it’s reasonable to assume that they will download the PCM to 'have a look'. Remember the dealer does not carry the warranty, they just do the work but before any warranty work is carried out it must first be approved by the factory and that’s when your gunna have problems with a claim.
Old 19-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #11
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
.............so can say the TDCi take the extra grunt!

apstar
Not sure what’s available here for the Diesel but most modern diesel cars can be fitted with any of a wide variety of add in boxes, these are all based on interrupting the signals to the ecu and as a result more fuel is pushed into the engine and with a diesel its all about fuel delivery, if you can squeeze more fuel in than you get more power out, its about as simple as that. They do tend to run dirty and will increase fuel consumption but how much more torque can the power train handle? No idea!!
Old 19-10-2008, 10:22 PM   #12
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks I'm a little bit sharper nice to know these little bits of info ;)

apstar
Old 23-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
911 XR6
Starter Motor

FYI - My mate has had a nightmare with his XR5 Turbo and Powerchip in Melbourne the ECU company... his car developed a nasty stutter and when he tried to get a refund he was denied his money back because it was outside of the 14-day money back guarantee period by 2 days!

So now he has to have a reflash done by the dealer (added cost) and he is out over $1000 hard earned bucks!

I did some research and the guys at autospeed had a similar problem so I advised him to go to the ACCC - and so should everyone else with problems on their Powerchip cars IMO
15 Jeep GCTD

911 XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
entheos

interesting...cause I haven't read that many issues with the powerchip....mind you most mondy xr5 owners have gone the way of Bluefin...
entheos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #15
warren77

About 2,000km into using bluefin.
No issues at all.
Slightly better fuel economy as well.

Oh wait, I do have an issue.
I want MORE power!
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #16
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore