Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Insuring modifications

What is the deal with insuring mods? Say if I spend 5k on mods, and I list those mods in my policy, and the car is written off, how are those mods covered?

Do they pay out the value of those mods? I'm assuming they probably don't?

And do I need to alter the insured value of my vehicle to cover replacement of those mods?

I really have no idea how this works.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2021, 04:55 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Insuring modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
What is the deal with insuring mods? Say if I spend 5k on mods, and I list those mods in my policy, and the car is written off, how are those mods covered?

And do I need to alter the insured value of my vehicle to cover replacement of those mods?

It's better to declare mods not for financial return come claim time but to not give them a reason to deny your claim should the untoward happen.

I guess you can try for a higher agreed value to cover mods??

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2021, 05:05 PM   #3
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Firstly mods must be legal. That being said the idea behind notifying the insurance company is 2 fold.

1 they list the mods and value change to your policy if they accept the risk
If they say its ok and you bingle your carbon fibre bonnet they will replace with same. If you don't advise, have a bingle and they decide to fix, even though they didn't know about the bonnet your getting a steel replacement.
Which brings me to part 2

2 If you don't advise of the fully sic 671 hanging through your bonnet and damage your carbon fibre bonnet on a parked car and wall they wont give you the time of day as they had not accepted the risk... no bonnet, no blower, no car.

When you advise of mods and insurance accepts, a new agreed value is negotiated and the premium will go up. Be careful though some daily driver cookie cutter insurers don't want to know about mods.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2021, 06:07 PM   #4
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will depend on which insurance company you're dealing with.
Shannon's are pretty good.
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #5
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For go fast mods, AAMI only asked if it was fitted with non factory forced induction. Everything else was accepted as long as it was road worthy. This was when I took the policy out 3 to 4 years ago.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I really have no idea
There you go, that wasn't so hard after all..
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2021, 03:06 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
It will depend on which insurance company you're dealing with.
Shannon's are pretty good.
Yeah i'm with Shannons. Already have my mods listed on their policy.
Old 27-08-2021, 03:39 PM   #8
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah i'm with Shannons. Already have my mods listed on their policy.
Same here, every little mod is listed on the policy with them.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2021, 08:55 PM   #9
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Getting back to the OP's question. Don't believe for a second that spending $5K on mods will increase the value of the car by $5K.

That wasn't part of the question was it ?

Just sayin'.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2021, 10:54 PM   #10
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
Getting back to the OP's question. Don't believe for a second that spending $5K on mods will increase the value of the car by $5K.

That wasn't part of the question was it ?

Just sayin'.

Dr Terry
I missed that bit. Yeh, no chance getting the value of mods back on a claim unless you upped the agreed value at the time.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2021, 11:03 PM   #11
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Geez, u been around these forums for yonks, I would think you would know the answer.
Old 27-08-2021, 11:26 PM   #12
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

Haha, logged in to thank that post! It was my first thought too.

Then again, every mod I've done to my car, I've bought spare parts to do them...

Flappy paddles are bolted to a "spare" steering wheel cowl.
Heavily modified ICC unit, from a 2014 donor (mine's sitting in the pool room).
Instrument Cluster with FPV gauges - from another 2014 XR6 donor (mine ditto above).
Driver's base leather seat - from a 2010 - mine has been repaired, you know where it is... I'll be keeping that one,
Pod air filter, all my original factory filter bits are in the shed.
Limited Edition 19" spare wheel, space saver in the shed..
Full-size spare boot mat..
Indicator side mirrors..

Come crisis day, I've got a bit of work to do, but I'm keeping all the good bits. The car will be "factory" if that day ever comes, I really hope it doesn't.

Edit: I may actually be a bit ruthless, the ICC that goes back may be missing the Blue-Tooth chip (Might be an inside joke, sorry, it's a long thread.)

Last edited by JasonACT; 27-08-2021 at 11:34 PM.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #13
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonACT View Post
Haha, logged in to thank that post! It was my first thought too.

Then again, every mod I've done to my car, I've bought spare parts to do them...

Flappy paddles are bolted to a "spare" steering wheel cowl.
Heavily modified ICC unit, from a 2014 donor (mine's sitting in the pool room).
Instrument Cluster with FPV gauges - from another 2014 XR6 donor (mine ditto above).
Driver's base leather seat - from a 2010 - mine has been repaired, you know where it is... I'll be keeping that one,
Pod air filter, all my original factory filter bits are in the shed.
Limited Edition 19" spare wheel, space saver in the shed..
Full-size spare boot mat..
Indicator side mirrors..

Come crisis day, I've got a bit of work to do, but I'm keeping all the good bits. The car will be "factory" if that day ever comes, I really hope it doesn't.

Edit: I may actually be a bit ruthless, the ICC that goes back may be missing the Blue-Tooth chip (Might be an inside joke, sorry, it's a long thread.)
That’s all fine and we’ll but your forgetting one little thing. If the car is damaged and needs a tow, it will go to a shop that won’t let you work on your car to change parts over. A lot of the time an assessor will get there before you have a chance to do anything and there goes your insurance claim due to modifications not noted on the policy.
Insurance companies are not your friend, and Shannon’s DO NOT share your passion, their there to make money not hand it out. They can and will deny any claim they can to keep that money.
Having said that, there are assossor’s that turn a blind eye to small mods but it’s a risk your taking to have that kind of assessor to deal with. If you love your car list the mods and pay the extra small amount to cover your car. It will save all the pain and suffering down the track.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2021, 01:41 PM   #14
Bolly47
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about my Ford AWD Turbo Territory as got engine modify including dump pipe and aftermarket mag wheel and my insurance saw the territory after I accidentally reverse and hit the my parking ute. No damage,to my ute but wreck territory rear tailgate so insurance never said a word, however been repaired 3 years ago.Any common
Bolly47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2021, 02:55 PM   #15
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 4V XB View Post
That’s all fine and we’ll but your forgetting one little thing. If the car is damaged and needs a tow, it will go to a shop that won’t let you work on your car to change parts over.
<snip>
Having said that, there are assossor’s that turn a blind eye to small mods but it’s a risk your taking to have that kind of assessor to deal with. If you love your car list the mods and pay the extra small amount to cover your car. It will save all the pain and suffering down the track.
Are you sure about that?

Maybe there's some loophole people I know are using, because plenty of undriveable cars have been towed to the owners home first. My brother-in-law's car spent months in our carport while stuff was sorted out. Not to mention, pity the fool who lets the tow truck driver decide who your repairer ends up being.

A mate at work had his written off, was told to leave it, he said "No, I've been driving it for a week before you could fit me in and I need to buy another car before you take this one." and they let him drive it around for another week.
Old 28-08-2021, 04:37 PM   #16
slowsnake
Banned

Insurers are very strange critters, when you phone em to get a price to insure your car or vehicle, who do you get? well by the cute soft dulcet tones on the other end of the phone line you imagine a very sexy girl, maybe Miss World or whoever your imagination conjures up!

She was especially hand picked by her employer to elicit as much information about you and your car let's say, and your willingness tell her how great it is, lowered, wide wide wheels, how fast it is at blowing other cars away from the lights, etc, etc, etc.

Then she wakes you up from la-la land with some outrageous premium and an even more outrageous excessively excess fee.

All good so far until you have an accident, your fault of course, that tree jumped in front of your car!
So in the morning you phone your insurer, luckily no cops come so you hitch a ride home, still ****ed as a newt, lol, but, you don't get Miss World on the other end of the phoneline, you get the sourest mouth bitch that God ever created and put on earth, questions questions and more questions, and you are hungover like a mongrel dog, and you ask could you please speak to the nice lady who sold you your policy? of course the answer is no, she tells you that " Miss World " works in another department and you are stuck with me bitch! Whoa who is this thing I'm talking to, she won't give you a break from the questions, you are bombarded by facts about your car with its illegal wide-wide wheels and every other illegal mods you told Miss World about!......its a true story, and I got away with it

Cheers Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2021, 06:00 PM   #17
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Are you sure about that?

Maybe there's some loophole people I know are using, because plenty of undriveable cars have been towed to the owners home first. My brother-in-law's car spent months in our carport while stuff was sorted out. Not to mention, pity the fool who lets the tow truck driver decide who your repairer ends up being.

A mate at work had his written off, was told to leave it, he said "No, I've been driving it for a week before you could fit me in and I need to buy another car before you take this one." and they let him drive it around for another week.
I’m not saying it will be towed to a shop, I should’ve made that a bit clearer. Different states have different rules on towing. I’ve never had a car towed but that seems to be normal procedure. It goes to the tow yard, an approved repairer or else where. It also depends on the state of the car, written off, involved in a fatality or some other crimes because it was stolen. Some will let you tow it at your instructions some won’t.
There’s hundreds of different scenarios that will bring different outcomes.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
2 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2021, 07:15 PM   #18
JasonACT
Away on leave

Well, from experience, I can tell you in Canberra a tow truck driver without specific instruction will take it to his mates shop where "work will have started on it" and you can't then move it to another shop. They get first bite from the insurer.
Old 28-08-2021, 07:17 PM   #19
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Insurers are very strange critters, when you phone em to get a price to insure your car or vehicle, who do you get? well by the cute soft dulcet tones on the other end of the phone line you imagine a very sexy girl, maybe Miss World or whoever your imagination conjures up!

She was especially hand picked by her employer to elicit as much information about you and your car let's say, and your willingness tell her how great it is, lowered, wide wide wheels, how fast it is at blowing other cars away from the lights, etc, etc, etc.

Then she wakes you up from la-la land with some outrageous premium and an even more outrageous excessively excess fee.

All good so far until you have an accident, your fault of course, that tree jumped in front of your car!
So in the morning you phone your insurer, luckily no cops come so you hitch a ride home, still ****ed as a newt, lol, but, you don't get Miss World on the other end of the phoneline, you get the sourest mouth bitch that God ever created and put on earth, questions questions and more questions, and you are hungover like a mongrel dog, and you ask could you please speak to the nice lady who sold you your policy? of course the answer is no, she tells you that " Miss World " works in another department and you are stuck with me bitch! Whoa who is this thing I'm talking to, she won't give you a break from the questions, you are bombarded by facts about your car with its illegal wide-wide wheels and every other illegal mods you told Miss World about!......its a true story, and I got away with it

Cheers Billy
Perhaps the sour mouthed ones are sick of dealing with people that think drink driving and getting away with makes them a legend? I'd get sour dealing with morons all day.
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2021, 07:23 PM   #20
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Well, from experience, I can tell you in Canberra a tow truck driver without specific instruction will take it to his mates shop where "work will have started on it" and you can't then move it to another shop. They get first bite from the insurer.
Same applies in Sydney. Bitten once, never again.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2021, 07:37 PM   #21
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
Perhaps the sour mouthed ones are sick of dealing with people that think drink driving and getting away with makes them a legend? I'd get sour dealing with morons all day.
Made me a legend, plenty of the boys patting my back, but people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, not too many people my age who dident drive home from the pub, in fact everyone did, you too but you'd never admit it, get ya cheap shots elsewhere, and the worst offenders were bloody coppers believe it or not, it was very normal and par for the course back then, like losing ya virginity, so go back to your boring life and have a nice cup of tea

Cheers Billy
Old 30-08-2021, 02:59 PM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
Geez, u been around these forums for yonks, I would think you would know the answer.
Can never get a clear answer. From what I can gather they have an approx value they think the mods are worth, and that cost is added on after you make a claim.

The insurance company won't tell you what that is though.

My insurance assessment has come in for this year and i'm going to up the value again. Have another couple of mods to add to it as well.

It is what it is, i've done all I can by listed the mods. Hopefully never have to make a claim. Although a galah suicide bombed my windscreen this morning on the way to work, so I'll be making a windscreen claim at the same time.

Old 30-08-2021, 05:06 PM   #23
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

You will have to negotiate a new agreed value if adding mods; don't assume adding 5k of mods will be covered automatically with your existing insurance.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2021, 09:27 PM   #24
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Can never get a clear answer. From what I can gather they have an approx value they think the mods are worth, and that cost is added on after you make a claim.

The insurance company won't tell you what that is though.

My insurance assessment has come in for this year and i'm going to up the value again. Have another couple of mods to add to it as well.

It is what it is, i've done all I can by listed the mods. Hopefully never have to make a claim. Although a galah suicide bombed my windscreen this morning on the way to work, so I'll be making a windscreen claim at the same time.

Hopefully this will clear things up for you.
Any modification you do to your car can, but not always, add value to the car. Insurance companies work from a general price guide, red book, glasses guide or what ever. The modifications you add to the car are taken into consideration when pricing your policy. Weather it’s considered a good or bad modification comes down to the individual company. For example is more likely to be stolen, driven erratically and so on.
The total price of the modification doesn’t add that amount to the value of the car but can increase the market value, depending on the modification. This usually comes into the total lose value compared to a standard vehicle value.
Let’s not forget that some modifications can make the car illegal to drive. Be it tyre/rim size, exhaust, window tint, the list goes on. If the car is found to be fitted with illegal mods the company can and most likely will deny the claim.
Yes some people do get away with it but some don’t, that’s the risk you take when not noting modifications when you take out the policy.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
5 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2021, 12:05 AM   #25
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Let’s not forget that some modifications can make the car illegal to drive. Be it tyre/rim size, exhaust, window tint, the list goes on. If the car is found to be fitted with illegal mods the company can and most likely will deny the claim.
Yes some people do get away with it but some don’t, that’s the risk you take when not noting modifications when you take out the policy.
Mmmm, glad you mentioned tyre and rims size!
When I brought my VW T4 to Perth from Victoria unregistered but on permit it was inspected locally in Perth, all good, rego and plates, but insurance, seeing I had maximum RAC roadside and breakdown cover, this is 2009 and $600 a year, I chose them to insure it fully comprehensive, now it passed inspection with Mag wheels, I inch wider than normal spec and road radial tyres, they knocked me back!

I said it passed inspection ok as it was, they said if you have an accident and even if it's not your fault it can nullify the policy!
I said its a short wheelbase van for camping and travelling, prospecting etc, not for commercial use, they advised that it was probably alright until you have an accident and lodge your claim, they added that if I was at fault their assessor would knock the claim back!

There is value in reading fine print!

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 31-08-2021 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Add word
Old 31-08-2021, 02:25 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Hopefully this will clear things up for you.
Any modification you do to your car can, but not always, add value to the car. Insurance companies work from a general price guide, red book, glasses guide or what ever. The modifications you add to the car are taken into consideration when pricing your policy. Weather it’s considered a good or bad modification comes down to the individual company. For example is more likely to be stolen, driven erratically and so on.
The total price of the modification doesn’t add that amount to the value of the car but can increase the market value, depending on the modification. This usually comes into the total lose value compared to a standard vehicle value.
Finally a clear take on it. Cheers.
Old 31-08-2021, 04:19 PM   #27
MercuryT
Banned

Just insure your car for an agreed value. (not market)

Will pay more but it's worth it.

List your mods and be honest and you're set.

Ensure it's roadworthy though otherwise they can and will decline a claim regardless if listed or not.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post