Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #31
Jimmyd
Banned

Default Re: AU III transmission slipping when cold only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Car neglect rots my socks. Glad to hear you've done the right thing light saber
+1

I can not for the life of me understand why anyone would baulk at investing between $50 (DIY) and $200 (full flush) to improve driveablilty, performance and forestall a $2k plus bill to rebuild a terminal box.

Seriously guys, regular servicing will see a BTR hit at least 400,000klms without trouble - proved many times over the years. Hell, even the stretched XG QAS ambos would get 200k plus, and that was when lugging around over 4 tonnes at speed......

Two things kill BTR boxes, both cheap to rectify -
1. lack of servicing, and
2. heat - fit a trans cooler, a $200 DIY weekend job that will see you get much better life and performance form your BTR, especially if you drive spiritly, tow or just load her up with crap.
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #32
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Car neglect rots my socks. Glad to hear you've done the right thing light saber
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
I cant believe people will neglect to service the trans at $150 MAX, and rather wait for it to die at a cost of around $1800. Makes no sense to me.
Don’t start me there....

Gave the old man a call (to wish him a happy birthday) and while talking to him, I asked how the ute was going.
“Yeah mate, she’s running great now. Transmission doesn’t slip when cold or hot unlike before, and whatever you did to the LPG (cleaned the idle jet and drained the bowl) its working great.
I reply: “Great, so I guess when you clock up another 30000km let me know and I’ll come down and do another transmission service.
His reply: “Ah no need, she should be right to go for another 100000km at least. I mean, I covered over 300000km without a service before, so there’s no need to do another service so soon...”

Some people will never learn...
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #33
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saber
Some people will never learn...
Hey, at least your old man drives a falcon
my old man drives camrys and insists on turning the motor off even if he's only going to be 2 minutes somewhere
and he wonders why it cracked a head
Old 24-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #34
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bump!!!

Well the time has come to rebuild the transmission. She's now hit 360000km, but the transmission is shifting poorly when cold. When the transmission is warm, it shifts fine (most of the time lol).

I wanted to see if anyone here had any recommendations for an auto transmission builder located on the Mornington Peninsula? Happy to drive to most parts of the peninsula (Frankston, Mornington, Hastings, Rosebud ect ect).

A google search bought up Fluidrive and Bayside Automatics as options...anyone had any previous experience with these companies?

Any help is much appreciated!
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #35
Jackie Joy
Starter Motor

If you want to keep the trannies in the AU's or BA's going - these old cars are pretty cheap second-hand these days, you can get one for between $600 and $1400 - try bolting sheets of 3 to 4 mm aluminium to the front trannie cooler pipe - like put the pipe in an aluminium sandwich with just ordinary gyprock screws every 50 mm or so. That increases the cooling area from about 180 square centimetres to about 900 - mucho cooler! Doubles or triples the trannie's life.
Jackie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post