Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 21-02-2009, 12:52 AM   #1
mickspac
Starter Motor

Question help with 88 telstar

hi. i was hoping some one could help with wiring up a push button start on a 88 ford telstar.

i have played with electrics in other cars however there are more wires then what i thought going to the end of the key barrell. if any knows what each wire does or any general ideas please let me know

thanks mick

mickspac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 01:54 AM   #2
kevman976
Starter Motor

1ST buy a testlight and then remove cover .Put the alligator clip to earth and then test the wires coming out of the ign.switch.The wires you need are an ignition feed [warning lights are on] and the second wire is your start wire which lights up your testlight when the engine cranks over.Solder a 5mm wire to each wire and put your start switch at the other end and mount it where ever you want.Very easy and this way you can still start your car with the ignition switch .ok?Kevman
kevman976 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
mickspac
Starter Motor

hi kev.

thanks for quick reply. ill give a run down on what has happenend so far. this car was givin to me because the owners moved and couldnt find the keys. so as my misses is looking for a car i said i would take it the only problem was because it has no keys i had to get rid of key barrell as i didnt want the steering wheel to lock in place as we were towing it.

i tried to undo the bolts that hold it on however after 3hrs in 45 degreee heat i gave up and started to smash a screw driver down the ignition so that i could get the guts out of the ignition so that i could turn it and not worry about steering lock.

once i got it home when it cooled down i eventually got the barrel off. so i thought sweet go to wreckers and get another one. well having only 2 wreckers in town i had no luck.

so i had a great idea... y not make it a push button start. (like those really expensive bmws and what not) so i went to my mechanic and he said to pass a roadworthy (with push button start) i must have..

one switch to turn on accceries and fuel pump and what not.

one push button that will start the car (kick it over)

im also going to put in a kill switch that will stop all power (this i can do once i set up the other two.

the problem ive hit is there are 7 wires going to the back of the barrell.

small red/yellow wire ---which goes to a small white box on the side of barrell
small green wire---- same as above.. both on same plug

solid blue wire--------------\
black with white strip-------/ same plug

black with red strip> one plug

black with yellow strip---------\ same plug
white with red strip------------/

and i have no idea which one is the starter... which one turns on the accessiroes... which one turns the car to the on position.

any idears??

thanks mick
Old 21-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
mickspac
Starter Motor

Default update

have just used a test light (and played with wires a little..

the white with red stripe is the power...

the black with yellow stripe turns all of the car on except kicking it over.

the black and red stripe kicks the car over.

so... what is with the other wires??... i connect them up with other ones but it doesnt do ne thing??

any ideas??

thanks mick