Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 18-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
REDDYZ

Default Engine Gasket kit

Hi Everyone,

Its been more than 7 months since I took my Cougar off-road to keep it alive. Engine started to develop a slight ticking noise which I first thought a burnt valve but later turned out to be a sticky valve lifter. Part is only $4 but costs $4000 to get it replaced. Cams had to come off which ain't gonna be any cheap for a V6 double over head cam engine.

This sticky lifter will cause serious damage to engine if not replaced. I can replace it myself to save $4000 but I don't have space or time to do this. Adding to this front tyres were completely worn ($400), rego was due ($830) and unfortunately one of the muffler fell apart because of rust (may be $500 to fix).

I had SVT cams waiting to go since long time as I couldn't find right injectors to suit them. Also, an SCT tune ($800), MSDS headers ($900) were needed to be done. So, I thought its best to take it off road until I find time, space and money to fix the car and bought a brand new Nissan X-Trail.

With holidays coming up this year end I thought its the best time to start fix my Cougar and started buying required bits and pieces.

I came across this engine gasket kit on Rockauto.com which is only $179.79 USD.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raca...parttype=10392

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...376&cc=1363968

This kit has all gaskets, seals required to rebuild the whole engine.
  • Rocker gaskets
  • Sump gasket
  • Head gasket
  • Water pump gasket
  • UIM, LIM gaskets
  • Exhaust header gaskets
  • Timing cover gaskets
  • Front and rear main seals and all other seals and gaskets that you would find the engine.

If you buy them separately it will cost more. Thought I'd share this incase if anyone is in need of these.

Cheers,
Yogi

Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
thearrow

Default Re: Engine Gasket kit

Sorry to read you are off the road maybe just take one step at a time and you will get here I the end.

Big difference between the Coug and an Xtrail I bet.

Good to own but "High Maintenance"

2000 Model Eibach Cougar (Auto) - Now dead & buried
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
REDDYZ

Thanks mate. Yes very big difference between them. I wasn't a big difference switching from Cougar to X-Trail but last month when I took Cougar out for a spin.. man!! Believe or not I felt like am driving an F1 car. Am not talking about the speed. The height of the car. It sits so low especially being an Eibach everything on road looked so different.

The way it drives, the way it handles and the power. Still addictive. I didn't had any plans to think about my Cougar. But after taking it for a spin it was an instant love and motivation to get my Cougar back on road. But yes, one step at a time though.

I've done it before. But this time its gonna be big. Might take a while but it will be worth doing it. So excited and can't wait to get my hands on it.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #4
thearrow

I cop a lot of grief over mine.....mainly about reliability but until you drive one people just don't get it.

In any case if I sold mine I would probably buy something that was half as good and would cost me $500.00 a month in payments = $6000.00 a year and there is NO WAY I spend that sort of money on my Cougar......so may as well keep it.

Good to own but "High Maintenance"

2000 Model Eibach Cougar (Auto) - Now dead & buried
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post