Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 28-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #211
COUPE 72
coupe 72

That s a plessant supprise i thought the riverland track was dead and buried. Its been along time comin.
As for track location i heard from one source amonth ago or so about mildura were going to go 1/4 mile but i thought it was at the same location then another thread here mentioned at a new location, and havent heard anything since.
COUPE 72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 12:24 AM   #212
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

track proposed to be at Swan Hill, Mildura already has a great 1/8th mile track
Old 29-09-2009, 01:21 AM   #213
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
track proposed to be at Swan Hill, Mildura already has a great 1/8th mile track
I looked at that link soubastard put up in the other thread and it mentioned a car and super bike track is it possible the mildura drag club will move to the same location as i did here they had to shift as there isnt sufficent land available to go 1/4 at the present location? thats the rumour i heard but havent been able to confirm. The drag team i used to crew for raced at the opening meeting at Mildura, had a great time but lost 2 to1 inbest of three match race with Colin Wills tectaloy 57 thunderbird doorslammer

Last edited by COUPE 72; 29-09-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old 30-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #214
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would take serious earthworks to extend Mildura at its present location, was great watching a cpl of blown cars disappear into a cloud of dust when they couldnt pull up in time. I doubt Mildura would move as they have alot of time/$$ in what they have now and its in the right spot away from anything else. Is strange what can be achieved but a full spec 1/4 mile track would be huge effort and $$$ and to be honest I couldnt see it being achieved without some serious corporate/government funding. We are in the works of a full spec 1/8th mile track here and it would be around 500k full retail for just that and thats not with the cost of the land included. Hope like hell it gets up as its too hard trying to get to WSID for the major meetings, this or Adelaide would be a quick trip in comparison.
Old 30-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #215
COUPE 72
coupe 72

My mate Rick used to pull the chutes early so would blossum at the finish line be hard on breaks and have to flick the funny car around the corner on one pass at Mildura. Rick used to drive that thing like he stole it, no such thing as backing of if the car went sideways of the line just hold it flat and hit the shift button for second. In the nitro car he said it wasnt unusual to have the steering full lock at a thousand feet if a cylinder was out ..............madness
Old 30-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #216
COUPE 72
coupe 72

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
posted on the smasa forum yesterday,
Old 01-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #217
chrapladm

I cant wait for a 1/4 mile track to open up. I am hoping there will be one in atleast 2 years when I have my truck completed.

I wont have a full race truck just one I would like to take to the track.

I miss my home track where you could race on a small motorcyle track, dirt oval, nascar, 1/4 mile or go down the road and do tractor pulls.

I miss that track. But Adelaide is alot like Indianapolis it just doesn't have the racing tracks yet.

I think it would be great if Adelaide got a track in the country which could host: 1/4 mile, drift and a road corse.

If you could do these 3 tracks I think everyone would be happy.

Drift and road tracks are getting bigger and bigger everyday. You shouldn't have to travel to another state just to participate. Most of the kids would be into the drift and/or road corse.

I dont remember where the track is, I think Victoria somewhere, but they have a race day where everyone can bring there car and they all race on the track for a time. I think there is 2 classes but you just race for the fastest time.

I think that is brilliant. And I am sure it would bring in lots of revenue.

So with others doing it why wont they do it here and make some money. Then when your money ahead ANDRA will show up.

Are there very many dyno places here in SA?

I know back home there where about 30 with in 20 miles, I can think of but racing was HUGE in Indy.

And as far as helping out ......I would love to. Tell me what I CAN do and I will do it. I dont have much "clout," and I only have but I am willing to do what I can.
chrapladm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #218
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

Press release on the Swan Hill/Mildura 1/4mile proposal if your interesed.

http://www.swanhill.vic.gov.au/news/20099162983123.asp

By HEINRICH PERFORMANCE & TUNING

E Series Falcon Image Museum on FB
https://www.facebook.com/pages/E-Ser...29864000453208
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 02:26 AM   #219
chrapladm

Well I am glad that Swan Hill is getting their project rolling. And nice to see Mildura doing fine. Thats pretty awesome for Victoria.

So WTF for Adelaide. MAN this sucks. I am not going to travel to Vic just to have "fun." I would like for this great state to step up to the plate. Or just let the people who want to pay for everything be sanctioned by the Government.

I dont understand what their deal is.

I didn't understand why the premier said he didn't want to support a track for a bunch of idiots. WOW This is going to be along battle. BUT I am willing to help in anyway I can.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #220
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Noticed there is an artical on Swan Hill in the latest Dragster Australia mag today, i know we have the protest coming up soon but why isnt there something on every weekend to push the issue. More needs to be done by ANDRA and the consortium to keep the issue in the media spotlight. they should have cars and a stand at the car show at civic park this week end as a minimum. Im happy for the Vics, anything that stuffs it up for Bob Jane is great by me.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #221
chrapladm

There is a large group on facebook that is always talking about stuff and trying to push the whole drag thing in Adelaide but it seems to me like its just a bunch of talking going on.

If I didn't have 4 children(2 under 3) I would try and talk to EVERYONE and go to as many car shows as I can and create a presence and get everyone moving instead of just whispering. And for those that dont have the time we should create a way for them to be able TO do something.

Write to whom ever parliament members are willing to help and get them to make some noise as much as possible. Then the rest of us need to write to magazines and every where to keep mentioning the need for an automobile sports venue in Adelaide.

I thought they were going to build one here anyways with private money? Did they just need sanctioning by the GOV.?

I have know idea how much it would cost for a Professional race 1/4 mile but we need to get atleast a BIG race here in ADelaide so that everyone else can see the potential. That would turn some heads in the GOV.

I think you would still need to try and build a road corse/drift track also. With these 2/3 tracks you could possibly have motorcycle racing also. Then possibly get the grand prix back!!.

Anyways if money was the issue I think they are enough people that could donate or do jobs that could easily get the facility paid for. The only thing I can do is type, write and I have a big mouth.

I see so much potential but not enough effort. Anyone that knows stuff I can do with my situation please let me know.

Does anyone know why EXACTLY they haven't said yes to going ahead with it?
Old 03-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #222
COUPE 72
coupe 72

They havent said yes because the Gov doesnt want a drag strip and warehouses on prime land near the port that they want to stick a water front mariner and yuppie housing on. They are trying to turn an industrial area into a cash grab from development and rate collection. All the land around Adelaide is drying up and the demand for new housing closer to the city is growing. At this stage i really cant see us getting the Gillman site unless Rann can be voted out and as much as i would like to see it happen i dont know if the oppisition will get the numbers. However Rann hasnt been doing himself and his party havent been doing themselves any favours lately.

The question i been asking myself lately is, what are the consortium going to do if they cant get the land at Gillman? Are they going to continue to fight for Gilman? Are they going to walk away because they wont be able to build their industrial park where they want it? Have they got any plan "B" or "C"? Do they have the racing and motorplex as priority one or two?

I would like to beleive that Bill Russo has racing at heart due to long association with Drag Racing as a major sponsor at AIR in the past. I dont have a problem with the consortium making money from building an industrial park to get a return on their investment, but i dont want us all to be dooped by promises that dont materialize if they were allocated the land they want. Iwould hate to see people power used faulsely against us to aquire land for acorpriate body with the promise of a track and then have all our dreams dashed when they say that they cant build the track because of lack of funds or EPA rulings say.

Maybe im just paranoid. But we have had to deal wiyh broken promises from corpriate bodies before, he who shall not be named. Sorry to put a downer on things but we should ask the the hard question sometimes to uncover the truth or to strengthen it. :
Old 03-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #223
chrapladm

So is there not any "good," land with in 80km around Adelaide? Why does it have to be this certain land that the GOV wants?

If it was up to me I would have 3 areas picked out. Las Vegas is dried up yet its still growing. So Its just a matter of organization.

Find some land that the gov doesn't want. Take soil samples and all and make sure it isn't near anything. I think because land around Australia is SO expensive that it would be hard to do BUT where there is a will there is a way.

Indianapolis RP(land was better than here but its Indiana) started off with just a huge out of the way block of land. They then had a small dirt oval for midget racing and others. Then they built a 1/4 mile, and small motorcycle track. Then they built a large racing oval that now has NASCAR racing there. As all these tracks came so did more and more warehouses and industrial parks for all the racing teams and machine shops.

As time went on the land is now being developed and more and more people are moving out to the track. Not a lot of people but the area is being developed. And now just 3 years ago Oreilly has bought IRP. It is now called ORP. "Build it and they will come."

I dont get why this is so difficult to understand. From what I read they said that the consortium didn't need any money for the track they just needed to be ok'd by the GOV?

I could be wrong but thats what I read. I just dont get it all. Look at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

[IMG][/IMG]

EPA....hahaha what a joke sometimes. We want to protect our lands and use renewable energy but if its going to cost too much then lets just build a Nuclear Power plant. WHAT!!

Organization is the biggest thing here..... I think. While building a raceway park you could have schools do projects on saving energy, using solar panels , wind mills, recycling water. There is so much to gain when building something new. It would be a plus for EVERYONE not just the racing world.

More jobs would be huge. If it is organized the way it should be everyone investing will see a profit in time.

There are always hurdle in the way of what you want but its seems like the consortium is just being alittle to soft. And all the races I know from back home are not SOFT. As someone else stated before in another thread, they WOULD go Vin Diesel on Rann.

I ran a ongoing fundraiser for my school to help us get a new gym. We raised enough money in 3.5 years to pay for the GYM, a new work out facility and an indoor 4 lane running track. $510,000

Money shouldn't be the problem.I am sure you could raise enough money in this state to be able to afford 1000-1500 acres and build what you want.

I hope this motorplex is finalized before I am done with school.(I dont start for another year) If its not then I think I will do whatever I can and put a track here myself. BIG words I know. BUt its just a matter of will power.

I see land all the time for sale that is "undesirable to most," but there is always potential with anything.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #224
COUPE 72
coupe 72

I think the consortium are stuck on Gilman because of it closeness to the city for inport distribution and close to the port, also not too far from an international airport from the industrial point of view of the project its the perfect location, the raceway could be built anywhere and i believe that Tailem Bend would be as good a place as any. thats why i ask the question whether they have motorsport or business in the industrial park as their highest priority.

I also have heard there is government land at monarto near Murray Bridge that would be good.

That overhead shot you show looks like a revheads paradise, they sure dont do things by halves in the states........very spoilt
Old 03-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #225
chrapladm

Oh I see. It does sound like they are mainly thinking of revenue and not building a race track. They never do anything small in the USA. BUT most of the stuff that is required only costs half as much as it does here.

I saw on google maps there is farmer or someone who has a "dirt oval," 600m x 300m and it looks like there is a small road corse if you will inside. So racing is everywhere.

But I would agree with Tailem Bend. It looks like the place I would choose But who am I.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #226
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Ithink your talking about the old horse track which has a gravel road course inside which was used by the Tailem Bend pinic horse racing club to run an anual event which hasnt been run for a few years now, they used to sublet to a driver training guy that trained rally drivers. We negotiated for that site too but were denied by council with a promise for the TB test track owned by mitsy. they bought it and then bent us over and put it to public tender. In a way i hope who ever gets the facility at TB screws the council for all their worth..........yeah im a little bitter and twisted but ya all know that dont ya guys.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #227
chrapladm

hahahahaha nothing wrong with having a soul!!

And yah that sounds like what I saw on the google maps.

Is the place there "fighting," over the Gilman dirt track?
Old 03-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #228
COUPE 72
coupe 72

As far as i know they want the land behind the Adelaide speedboat club and the track to run nth sth but as far as plans your guess is as good as mine, no plans have been seen as far as i know
Old 03-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #229
chrapladm

I guess its all just "hush hush."

Are they ONLY thinking about building a 1/4 mile track?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #230
COUPE 72
coupe 72

They are planning a 1/4 mile drag strip a speedway oval a bitumen circuit track a drift track and a jet sprint boat track and posibly a motorcross track but theres already one across the road.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:00 PM   #231
chrapladm

Oh well thats good to hear that its not JUST going to be 1/4 mile. BUT who knows when they ever get the thing rolling.

Is jet boating big here in Australia like it is in New Zealand?

I hope that when a few years rolls by they will have a circuit/drift track here in South Australia. My wife is very interested in doing drift racing. I myself am big into sand dunes and 1/4 mile. Love the truck pulls but they aren't in Australia, although they do have 2wd truck pulling which is tempting.

We as a family can only afford one type of racing. So I will just have a VERY powerful tow truck to pull the drift car. hahaha
Old 03-10-2009, 11:39 PM   #232
COUPE 72
coupe 72

They do drift racing at Mallala if you and your wife want to check it out. How long have you been in Adelaide if you dont mind me asking. We have tractor pulls here but nothig to the scale of the USA.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:47 PM   #233
chrapladm

I have been here for 1.5 years now.

I have seen the tractor pull advertisement for the 2010 Barossa event. I will be attending that. Tractors seem to be bigger than the 2wd pulling. I will have to check out more about the Mallala drift races.

Last edited by chrapladm; 03-10-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #234
COUPE 72
coupe 72

I havent been to Mallala for the drifts but have seen it on SBS speedweek program, im a drags and circuit guy, but i cant get enough of supercharged v8s on methanol or nitro........... good for the soul
Old 04-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #235
chrapladm

I am big diesel fan. Hence why I am going to be doing a 5.9 cummins F250. I think I should be able to get the engine to about 750hp 1500 foot pounds of torque. That will be the tow rig. I could get more out of it but I would like to still be able to drive it with out working on it everyday.

Found a video of the drift school up there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei4elRkWsAM

I have a long way to go with my project though. This is just the plan on what I am going to do.

But anything that screams power is good for the soul. I am not a big drift fan but I think it would be fun and my wife wants to do it. SO that would be nice that we could do something together.

Here is a video that just gets me fired up for drifting. The man is amazing!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkNzkutTiGs
Old 06-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #236
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Hey guys and gals, lookin for ideas for the Cosortium to raise the level of the cause and ill submit them to em , Any events you can come up with sticker designs or any other ideas ya can think of.
I just dont think enough is being done, there is still a few weeks b4 the protest and plenty can still be doneto get as many people there as possible.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #237
paddy351
Ford Nut

Some old times to watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTqh5jWmLVM
Old 09-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #238
chrapladm

Those old times look like fun. Wish I new of some shops or places were I could learn from on occasion.

I could join a club but it seems they are all far away.

coupe 72....is there anywhere we could have a 1/4 mile event ran and a big parking lot for a small drift in SA that could show the potential to the GOV?

I dont mean a small event either. Could be a car show also, but it would have to be a big presentation to really get things going. With what wants to be done my the consortium I think we, as motorist, need to help pave a way for the GOV to get a taste of how much money can be made and the attraction that it can draw.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #239
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

At 2mins the white skyline has a Turbocharged 308 with Auto.

Yep,themz the dayz.Can still smell Maxines baked spuds,mmmmm.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #240
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm
Those old times look like fun. Wish I new of some shops or places were I could learn from on occasion.

I could join a club but it seems they are all far away.

coupe 72....is there anywhere we could have a 1/4 mile event ran and a big parking lot for a small drift in SA that could show the potential to the GOV?

I dont mean a small event either. Could be a car show also, but it would have to be a big presentation to really get things going. With what wants to be done my the consortium I think we, as motorist, need to help pave a way for the GOV to get a taste of how much money can be made and the attraction that it can draw.
You will find that the council, government, and least of all the parking lot owners will not approve this, it seems we don't follow USA in this area. We aren't even allowed to park in carparks on cruises with getting grief from the authorities.