Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 17-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Mondeo XR5 performance

It's time to bid good-by to the XR6T and and have decided to downsize to a mid or small car.

I took a Focus XR5 and Mondeo XR5 for a drive. I was reasonably happy with the performance of the Focus although the lack of cruise control makes it a tough choice.

The Mondeo surprised me. While a beautiful car the performance seemed average for a "performance" model. When you look at the power to weight you can understand, I suppose, but buying a Mondeo XR5 that I think would be beaten by a base model Falcon is a bit strange.

Maybe I didn't spend enough time behind the wheel to fully appreciate the car.

It is a classy ride though ...

BTW anyone interested in a 2005 XR6T(M6 and Luxury pack) for $22K let me know ;)

Old 18-01-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Whilst a Mondeo XR5 Turbo might be beaten in a straight line by a Falcon XT, what would you REALLY rather drive/own/look at/be seen it. a Base XT or a Mondeo XR5 Turbo?!! It's not like it's pathetically slow, probably does mid to low 8's 0-100 which is plenty fast. It's a super refined genuine highway eater, but a really relaxed and quiet cit car too.

I rest my case.
Old 18-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I don't disagree that it's a nice car, just a little more mumbo would be nice.
Old 18-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I don't disagree that it's a nice car, just a little more mumbo would be nice.

I'm sure an edit would achieve your desired results.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
TheColonel

There are no edits released yet, but Dreamscience are working on one, which should be released shortly, looking at the same figures that they get out of the Focus XR5, approx 260 - 270 up from the 220 stock
Old 18-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Would I be right in thinking that, like the early Focus XR5's, the Mondeo would need to be "run in" to get the moving?

I know that was suggested when people were complaining about the focus being a tad tight.

D
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
Steffo
LPG > You

You're not wrong though, a Mondeo XR5 Turbo would cop a straight line annahilation from a Falcon XT 6-cyl. Considering that for Mondeo XR5 Turbo money you can get an ex-demo 6-cyl Fairmont or a brand new XT V8, I personally wouldn't get the Mondeo. The cheaper models (like the 29990 LX) are top value for money... but the XR5 is too expensive with not enough oomph IMO. If I were to buy a Mondeo now, it would be the TDCi...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

what would an XR6 with the 6 speed auto do to it then. Leave it sitting by the sounds of it.

Dissapointing but when you look at the price of the Mazda Turbos its not too bad!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
BlackLS
yum

Get the diesel and get a edit when that comes out.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
bbcrowdog
Starter Motor

I tend to agree that a bit more grunt would be nice. I have a 6MPS (and previously an XR6T) and was considering the XR5T for when my lease is up. It is a very nice car and at $41990 it is priced pretty well to compare with the Japs (Euro, 6, Liberty) really - but given it is manual only (ie the performance model) just lacks a bit of oompf IMO.

It probably is faster than it feels given the excellent refinement levels.
bbcrowdog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #11
RATT
In a Pug..

The Mondeo is quicker than it feels. It's quieter than the Focus giving the impression that it's alot slower. I think 0-100in about 8sec is probably about right. And with some km it could well be mid 7's.

I would also rather the Mondeo than a used Fairmont. XT V8's are also gone, can't get them anymore anyway.
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #12
TheColonel

I think 7.5 is the "factory" figure given for 0 - 100
Old 18-01-2008, 05:09 PM   #13
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Considering that for Mondeo XR5 Turbo money you can get an ex-demo 6-cyl Fairmont or a brand new XT V8, I personally wouldn't get the Mondeo.
A Fairmont without front parking sensors, leather trim, heated seats, Curtain airbags, knee airbags, 5-star ANCAP rating, emergency brake assist, 9.5L/100km average fuel consumption, Colour screen with the Human Machine Interface (which is really cool) on the dash and MP3 input all standard - plus bluetooth and voice control options. Plus it doesn't look like a Mondeo does :

Fairmont however can tow 2,300kg, has many important similar features and a stunning 6-speed auto which are equally important or more so to many buyers.

Both have Ford badges
Old 18-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #14
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Ztec,
No arguments from me about the trim levels and features. Although the heated seats are probably not need in QLD where I live.

If it had an auto and was called a Mondeo Ghia then it would be a perfect fit with my expectations.

I'm probably judging it a little harshly. I was pretty impressed but after testing a Focus XR5 the performance seemed a bit flat for a XR
Old 18-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #15
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Fair enough, especially coming from an XR6 Turbo!
Old 23-01-2008, 04:44 AM   #16
Dreamscience
Starter Motor

Talking ST Mondeo

Hi All,

We are nearly there with our XR5 Mondeo solution and the TDCI too. I will keep you posted on here.

All the best

Jared@DS
Dreamscience is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #17
TheColonel

Thanks Jared
Old 23-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #18
EuroWA
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamscience
Hi All,

We are nearly there with our XR5 Mondeo solution and the TDCI too. I will keep you posted on here.

All the best

Jared@DS
That's excellent news Jared. What sort of numbers will we be looking at roughly for XR5 Mondeo with Dreamscience?
EuroWA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #19
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Anybody heard any more from this Jared guy from Dreamscience in the UK?
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #20
TheColonel

Nothing more as yet, they have just finished off releasing the 7BUG updates for the Focus boys which was a priority for them, so it won't be too far off now
Old 06-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #21
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColonel
Nothing more as yet, they have just finished off releasing the 7BUG updates for the Focus boys which was a priority for them, so it won't be too far off now
Ok, so when the DS boys have done their stuff who in Aus will likely get the software to custom tune? Do DS have a dealer here? I understand CAPA haven’t even got their hands on the code for the Focus yet so I can't see them having the Mondeo code anytime soon! :

Are you happy with your Mondeo Colonel?? Any mods / improvements yet?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #22
TheColonel

Very happy with my Mondeo XR5, i've got 2,000km on the clock now and the engine is starting to loosen up nicely and rev freely and make a bit more of a growl No issues what so ever apart from working far too much to have time to take it for a play, that day will come though... no mods at the moment, moved house and got the car at the same time so the balance is still recovering, but will do DS + exhaust + inlet by years end, that's my plan at the moment, won't be doing springs as I don't feel then need to be done and i don't think it would be overly friendly to daily driving being any lower... at the end of the day I am very happy with my purchase
Old 06-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #23
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColonel
Very happy with my Mondeo XR5, i've got 2,000km on the clock now and the engine is starting to loosen up nicely and rev freely and make a bit more of a growl No issues what so ever apart from working far too much to have time to take it for a play, that day will come though... no mods at the moment, moved house and got the car at the same time so the balance is still recovering, but will do DS + exhaust + inlet by years end, that's my plan at the moment, won't be doing springs as I don't feel then need to be done and i don't think it would be overly friendly to daily driving being any lower... at the end of the day I am very happy with my purchase

Yeah I must say I'm fairly impressed with mine too, I had the dealer fit a decent set of exhaust tips (ala Honda Accord)

The car performs ok for what it is but a bit more top end would be nice. I also had the glass tinted and it’s very dark now as the factory glass is quite dark already. I agree re the suspension, its quite firm without being harsh, any lowering would spoil what is already a great handling car. Will get it on the hoist over the weekend and have a good look at the exhaust system, inlet system and intercooler. Hopefully somebody local will pick up the software so we can custom tune it for our fuels etc. Happy days!! :

Old 07-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #24
barbarian
Banned

I'm considering to get one as well but a little skeptical of its power out put.. Do they put out the same figures as a Focus XR5 or they detuned? Is there any other way to squeeze out more grunt without any mechanical modifications, i.e. edit/chip?
barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #25
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarian
I'm considering to get one as well but a little skeptical of its power out put.. Do they put out the same figures as a Focus XR5 or they detuned? Is there any other way to squeeze out more grunt without any mechanical modifications, i.e. edit/chip?
Easy fixed, buy a F6.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:52 PM   #26
azz80

I know 0-100 times are the goal posts for most cars, but what about mid-range oomph. I don't have an XR5 of any sort but i thought they were quite pokey in the mid-range, at least i thought the XR5 focus was.

I think on the go figures tell a better story.

I would love an XR5 focus, still trying to convince the cash-flow nazi that we need one.

just having my 2c's worth.
azz80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #27
barbarian
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
Easy fixed, buy a F6.
I like the Mondeo for its size, fuel consumption and European elements, besides they're made in Germany :
barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #28
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Engineered in Germany, Made in Belgium (which is just next door!)
Old 10-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #29
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thought I might update you on what my thoughts are re this car now that it’s got a little over 1500 k’s on it. Especially since the so called road test in Performance Ford Magazine was just getting interesting than finished!!

Firstly and most importantly the car is everything I was looking for in a car. Large enough for 4 adults (5 at a squeeze) small enough to fit in the garage with the terry. Economical, fun to drive, good looking and plenty of go for when the mood strikes.
I have covered 1500 k’s in 10 days and so far it’s fair to say I love it. There has been a bit of chat about the car’s apparent ‘soft’ power delivery but I’m here to tell you it goes very well. People are suggesting that 162 kw’s aren’t enough in a midsize car. Well less than 10 years ago the so called performance cars in aus (SS and XR8) were putting out the same power figures and they sure as hell were not making 320 nm of twist at 1600 rpm either. I was a little critical of its lack of urge at the high end of the tacho but it’s actually starting to fee up a little and now I’m not so sure if it needs much more. Naturally there could always be more, but it’s certainly not slow!

So, what do I think so far?

Looks? Stunning, even better now that my slim line Black and White plates have replaced the pox Vic Blue and white things. (and no!!!! I can't phuccing stand those woefull looking euro plates)

Ride? It’s without doubt a ‘firm’ ride, in fact I would go as far as to say that if your looking for a family car and were eyeing off the XR5 than don’t do it! It a little too firm for an everyday family tourer. IMO. The Zetec or CDTi would be my pick as a family car.

Handling? Superb which is no surprise given my comments above re the ride quality. The 40 series Continentals as fitted to mine also don’t help in the comfort department but they sure do ‘hang on’ I was a little concerned the other night coming home via a country back road, I was pushing quite hard and came into a bend with a 80kph advisory speed sign, about half way in the car got a little loose in the front and started to push as I gave it some throttle, the car didn’t feel like it was ever going to run wide of the road however I did get a surprise at the level of front tyre squeal, that is until I looked down at the speedo and discovered I had gone into the corner at more than twice the advised speed!!!!!! All is forgiven now and the Mondeo now has my total respect and it has my total confidence. It really is a trap, its so damn smooth and quite, you just don’t realize how fast it is until you look!! :

Comfort? The seats are firm and quite ‘snug’ so if you have wide hips or a little thunderous in the thighs than look else where! The thigh bolsters are very high and very firm, which is handy given the level of grip the chassis has!

Ergonomics? The controls are easy to find and use. The HMI is nice (when you get used to it) The audio system is of a reasonable quality. I would rate it a 6 by comparison the TTG a 2! The Bose System in the Mazda 6 is a 7 and the Bose system in the Caprice a 9! I don’t like the head light high beam switch and I’m not a fan of left side indicators in a RHD car with a manual gearbox. It’s awkward trying to change gears and indicate at the same time. Also the dip switch for the high beam is located on the indicator stalk and is a ‘pull towards you switch’ for on and the same movement for off, its quite a long and cumbersome movement, small complaints I know but still rather annoying after awhile.

Steering and Brakes? Steering is very nicely weighted and ultra direct without being jittery on the highway. Brakes are ok nothing special, pads will be coming out as soon as I can find a replacement set, they are typical euro spec and absolutely FILTHY! They do fade quite badly but still keep working. Unlike some that fade into ‘nothing’ They also tend to be a little grabby when cold.

Performance? Make no mistake, they go very well, you just don’t realize how well when your driving it. Its quicker than a standard TT in a straight line (rolling start for both cars) This makes 6 kw’s less than a rex and makes the same torque at 1,200 rpm lower in the rev range!! It will pull away from stopped in 3rd and you don’t need to change gears again until about 150!!

Economy? Very good, first 1500 k’s and its average is sitting on 9.7 not bad considering!! It will only get better from there.

Likes’
Wonderful spread of torque
Slick and quick gearbox
Light and progressive clutch
Sound system
Looks
Seats
Handling
Steering
Fuel economy
Capless fuel filler
Keyless ignition

Dislikes;
High beam switch
Windscreen washer water pours in the drivers side window if you happen to have it open when the wipers come on!!
Brake dust
Bluetooth not standard
Rear wiper, its butt ugly and just doesn’t fit well, looks just ‘stuck there’?

Cheers
Old 10-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #30
bearass
FG XR8

Agreed Paulie.

Just one question do your brakes grab suddenly when applying??