Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 09-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #1
James Quin
Starter Motor

Default Buying an old Focus

Hello Wolvo lovers,
It is James Quin here from Victoria. I want to buy an old Focus 2012 0r later, for my son. We can buy from a showroom, but he has already selected a car, maybe some of his friend's car. He wants to buy only that car. Now the question is that, is it worth spending that much money on that car. Or I should consider another car for my son. Also, I am worried about the previous record of that car, because the car may create problems for me regarding Encumbrance records, Written off or stolen. Is it worth checking these details at https://www.revscheckreport.com.au/
James Quin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2019, 09:39 AM   #2
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Buying an old Focus

Hi James, this type of check/certificate is well worth the peace of mind when buying privately.
You can also check dealer & second hand values via www.redbook.com.au or most of the b\car buying websites.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-03-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the 2012 2013 2014 Focus (LW series) have a problematic automatic trans mission called power shift. (dual dry clutch (dct/dsg type)
This transmission is a real problem child. and could probably leave a very sour taste.
Plenty of threads in this forum from owners with real powershift troubles.

5 speed manual is fine -good car.

LZ series from 2015 on with auto (torque convertor auto-fine) or manual is better.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Quin View Post
Also, I am worried about the previous record of that car, because the car may create problems for me regarding Encumbrance records, Written off or stolen. Is it worth checking these details at https://www.revscheckreport.com.au/
A revs check is a must, but the one you posted is a private company.

The official Gov one is here................https://www.ppsr.gov.au/revs-check
Old 09-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
nstg8a

I might be getting cynical in my old age but something doesn’t seem legit here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #6
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Yeah, like an "Old Focus". Twas thinking more like a MkI.?

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2019, 05:46 PM   #7
Pooka
Shapeshifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
I might be getting cynical in my old age but something doesn’t seem legit here.
You're not the only one. After reading his post, I was sure it was just a plug for "that" particular website.

Also, "that" website will not give you FULL details of the car's history, like odometer history if recorded.
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post