Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What would you do?

Scenario: you're driving along to work, its drizzling with rain and you see a woman with 3 kids in a VE SS, you glance at the rear of the car and notice 2 white bands on the inside and outside of each rear tyre, the car comes to a halt and its clear the rear tyres are so worn out they're down to the bands on each sholder of each rear.... The car also seems to have some existing battle scars that have gone un-repaired....

What would YOU do?

Old 10-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

I pull up alongside car and let them know.

Have done this before, actually pulled up , wound down the window and explained and then parked and showed them what I meant.

Once was for a Porsche Cayenne Turbo.....
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
MAD
Petro-sexual

If the person acts like a douche on the road I leave them to hopefully hit a tree, or get pulled over.
If it's someone that looks like they just dont pay attention, I will let them know.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Scenario: you're driving along to work, its drizzling with rain and you see a woman with 3 kids in a VE SS, you glance at the rear of the car and notice 2 white bands on the inside and outside of each rear tyre, the car comes to a halt and its clear the rear tyres are so worn out they're down to the bands on each sholder of each rear.... The car also seems to have some existing battle scars that have gone un-repaired....

What would YOU do?
Tell them they should not do burnouts on under inflated tyres?
Old 10-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Wouldnt do anything.. Coz 90% of the time in todays shittey world your only going to get abused and told to mind your own business..
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I'd just ignore it and go about my business, not my problem.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
KITBAG

Take rego number
Dial hoon line
Ring/Tell police

Steer clear of car...............
KITBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Wouldnt do anything.. Coz 90% of the time in todays shittey world your only going to get abused and told to mind your own business..
That is the sad truth, sometimes you are even at risk of copping a knife in your ribs as thanks.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
That is the sad truth, sometimes you are even at risk of copping a knife in your ribs as thanks.
I have never had a negative response in any way shape or form the 10 or so times I have pointed things out to fellow motorists

Melbourne isnt that bad yet!

Disclaimer: maybe things would be different i wasn't 95 kgs.....
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I've done this a few times (rolled the window down and told them the problem) and they've always acknowledged with a wave and/or a smile. Yep, Melbourne isn't that bad yet. Although the fact that I'm a burly skinhead with a goatee might have something to do with it...

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'd just ignore it. it's dangerous to her & her kids but so are lots of things people do. people are responsible for their own choices in life. i don't stop every smoker i see and tell them about lung cancer.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what did you do 4vman??....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #13
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman

What would YOU do?
Flappist? Is that you?

Due to the kids, I'd tell her if the opportunity to do so arose.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #14
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Think about it people, there are KIDS in the vehicle, I would have told her and also done what 87XF-AUII said, taken rego etc, it's a dangerous scenario to be in, but really telling her can't get you into to much trouble, espcially if you are built like a brick s# house, lol.
But at the end of the day, this person is driving within your vicinty, so there is the potential that she could have an accident and you could be involved, so if you have the chance to prevent that from happening, why wouldn't you.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #15
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Definately worth telling her about it at the next set of lights etc.

being a fairly new car with regular services required to maintain warranty you'd think this would have been noticed and rectified.

Then again it is an IRS commodore so they'd just say it was 'normal' for the edges to wear out...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Flappist? Is that you?

Due to the kids, I'd tell her if the opportunity to do so arose.
Well hypothetically it could have been..........(but it wasn't)

And it is a difficult question as in todays paranoid society there is a reasionable possibility that she will panic and call the police to report a road rage incident and suddenly you are trying to explain what you were trying to do to a couple of 20 year old tiny female superheroes in blue pajamas who do not believe a word you are saying because you are male.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #17
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Definately worth telling her about it at the next set of lights etc.

being a fairly new car with regular services required to maintain warranty you'd think this would have been noticed and rectified.

Then again it is an IRS commodore so they'd just say it was 'normal' for the edges to wear out...
the joke is you dont need a pink slip for the first 3 years in sydney so idiots with no idea can drive around with bald and dangerous tyres, one of the most important things on your car. :

these morans are obviously short on cash or common sense or both, im not a copper and dont get paid to police vehicles, the amount of braindeads I see on the road with underinflated tyres is behond a joke but when does a copper ever fine somebody for this ,to busy fining somebody for drifting 3 kays over the limit.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #18
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

You would have to try and and least let her know..Not for her sake but for the kids and other road users , who may become unwilling participants in the impending chaos it will eventually cause... Some people may be rude, but you will rest easier at least knowing you have tried

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #19
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pull up beside her wind the window down , An tell her fords are better
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #20
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
the joke is you dont need a pink slip for the first 3 years in sydney so idiots with no idea can drive around with bald and dangerous tyres, one of the most important things on your car. :
Look on the bright side, atleast you have inspections!

In SA we dont have anything to stop the drop kicks from driving round in their unroadworthy buckets.

i'd rather be in a VE with bald tyres and half a dozen airbags to soften the blow, than some old VL with pizza cutter slicks and worn steering/brakes.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #21
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289

these morans are obviously short on cash or common sense or both, im not a copper and dont get paid to police vehicles, the amount of braindeads I see on the road with underinflated tyres is behond a joke but when does a copper ever fine somebody for this ,to busy fining somebody for drifting 3 kays over the limit.
You never need a roadworthy in qld unless u sell the car registered..

Our laws are the worsed in the country as far as roadworthy cars go.. Although im not complaining yearly inspections would be a pain, but i dont keep cars that long :
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would wind down the window and politely ask her if she new her back tyres were very dangerouse and i would`nt consider them safe to drive on, if i get abuse back ....... ah well i did try, its probably more than likely she would`nt know about their condition.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #23
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
This...
Old 10-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #24
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

id at least try... to quote the late MJ 'think of the children ...heee heee shamone'
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #25
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well hypothetically it could have been..........(but it wasn't)

And it is a difficult question as in todays paranoid society there is a reasionable possibility that she will panic and call the police to report a road rage incident and suddenly you are trying to explain what you were trying to do to a couple of 20 year old tiny female superheroes in blue pajamas who do not believe a word you are saying because you are male.
theres a new sig if ever i saw one...
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #26
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

If I notice a car with no brake lights or tail lights, I usually try to pull up alongside them just to give them a quick "hey man, your brake lights are out", done it to a few cars over the years and never got anything but a thumbs up and "cheers heaps mate".

I guess it might be different if you're telling people their tyres are gone, they're a fair bit more in the $ stake than a brake light, so you might get some bogan who doesn't wanna hear it and go a bit mental.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #27
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Hmmm the car is a VE SS the rear wheels were probably steelies and of course the tread would be missing most of it was probably on the local roads did the front wheels have flat spots from dragging along the road with the brakes on?................

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #28
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
If I notice a car with no brake lights or tail lights, I usually try to pull up alongside them just to give them a quick "hey man, your brake lights are out"l.
i don't know why cars don't have a dash warning light to let you know the lights have failed. it can't be that hard or expensive, surely.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #29
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
I have never had a negative response in any way shape or form the 10 or so times I have pointed things out to fellow motorists

Melbourne isnt that bad yet!

Disclaimer: maybe things would be different i wasn't 95 kgs.....
I have even had a situation where I noticed a car was pouring oil (I mean pouring) out from under it at red light. I wound down the window, got the drivers attention and asked if he knew. I was told very crudely to do something along the lines of go somewhere else with some very colourful language. That was while I was in Parmedic uniform in an ambulance.

To be honest, taking into account it was female motorist with kids in the back, I would politely say something but I would not be expecting any amazing response. I highly doubt she will pull over and not drive it again. In all seriousness she has probably known about them for ages and does not care.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #30
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
i don't know why cars don't have a dash warning light to let you know the lights have failed. it can't be that hard or expensive, surely.
It's not, late 80's Magna's had one.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post