Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #151
dirty

Default Re: BA motor into a AU

I am about to embark on this journey, and found this thread very interesting. No final result though so can anyone who has succeeded chime in or am i flogging a dead horse here?
dirty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #152
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you Send FTG a message they able to give you some more info on the final result.
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #153
dirty

Cheers for that, will PM him and see if he will give me a heads up.
Dirty
Old 09-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #154
robertjp

any more news on this as my AU engine is starting to sound a bit tired.
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #155
dirty

I will be starting this in about two weeks, and will record everything to let you all know one way or the other, good or bad.

I have to wait for a bell housing, a converter and a cross-member to turn up, as i am doing this with a C4 tranny. The whole thing will take a while to come together so be patient.
Dirty
Old 10-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #156
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice work mate all the best with the swap. Maybe start a build Thread on the project get plenty of pics and keep us posted

Cheers Lorenz
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #157
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty
I will be starting this in about two weeks, and will record everything to let you all know one way or the other, good or bad.

I have to wait for a bell housing, a converter and a cross-member to turn up, as i am doing this with a C4 tranny. The whole thing will take a while to come together so be patient.
Dirty
why would you do it with a C4 ? seems a backward step to me

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #158
dirty

The C4 has a trans brake, and is good for all the horses, an OEM trans is not an option for where I am going.

This car will be 95% strip so the trans choice revolves around that, if you were building a daily driver you would of course stick to the 4 speed tranny.

Hope that answers the Q ok, all questions are good and don't be shy.

Cheers
Dirty
Old 13-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #159
dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Falcon XR6
Nice work mate all the best with the swap. Maybe start a build Thread on the project get plenty of pics and keep us posted

Cheers Lorenz
Thanks Lorenz, will be taking heaps of pics, and good idea i will start a new thread for it once we get started. I am waiting on the bell housing, and cross member for the C4, and then it is on!
Old 04-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #160
blake_XR6

if this is a reliable transplant isnt stupidly priced I'll swap my ba for an au and get this done! these would be mental with the au weighing 200+kg less than a ba!
blake_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #161
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Good friend of mine has a BA engine in his EB (or was it ED) XR6 with a tired auto (which will be built later on when he introduces some boost as well) ... drives nice and smooth as it is now.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #162
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Good friend of mine has a BA engine in his EB (or was it ED) XR6 with a tired auto (which will be built later on when he introduces some boost as well) ... drives nice and smooth as it is now.
how did he sort the engine management issues with the twin VCT?

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #163
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

AFAIK ... ran a BA PCM.
He works at Crescent Motors as a mechanic ... and they do the full conversion as well ... not sure on the kit and what is entailed ... but they now do them from my understanding.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 05:46 AM   #164
robertjp

any new info on how this is progressing?
Old 12-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #165
robertjp

is there any new info as I may need to replace my motor and box at the same time and this seems appealing. CMS haven't got there new site up yet so any help will be appreciated.

Robert
Old 12-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #166
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your best off contacting FTG Auto Salvage for more info

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #167
Auxr6t
Starter Motor

Just to bring back an old thread I have done this conversion with good results using au ecu.
Auxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #168
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxr6t
Just to bring back an old thread I have done this conversion with good results using au ecu.
Well done mate, can you share some more details eg: cost & time, hassles, observations and whats she drive like mate lol! How hard was it to adapt the au ecu for use with the barra? Very interesting hmmmm....

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #169
Auxr6t
Starter Motor

Prity well plug and play for the ecu. I used atomic vernier gears set on 0 for now. Top half of intake manifold with au throttle body. Ba power steering pump with custom hose. Cut au aircon bracket and used au pump. Manual gearbox bolted up with au starter. Au injectors and fuel rail. Plazmaman intake piping. Drives like the old vct motor jus bit more torque but havent had on the dyno yet. Could be done in a weekend. Picked up a ba fairlane motor for 400. Cam gears 700. I used a braided line for power steering 100.
Old 29-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #170
EFFalcon
Last warning

well done, good to see someone else go down that route.
has anything been done tuning wise yet?
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #171
Auxr6t
Starter Motor

No tuning as yet but runs fine and everything works. I drive it 150k round trip to work and back every day if that's a bit of an indication how it goes. Is also turboed with a snort kit but saving for the flash tuner an tune so jus driving it below boost atm.
Old 29-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #172
DRAGN6
DRAGN6

I am totally intrigued

I just happened to stumble accross this thread after someone else posted today and woke the thread back up

So, realistically, this conversion could be done for around the $2000.00 mark?? Depending on the choice of motor??

Nothing wrong with my AU motor at all, but it would be nice to upgrade.
Putting this much money into an AU these days would be very much over capitalising, but the AU is such a unique car, that it make it worth doing the conversion to.

I was looking at installing a stage 2 cam and a few other goodies soon, but by the sounds of it, this conversion would save a few $$ and be more beneficial in the future

I dare say that the insurance would become an issue, as the cost of the motor etc, would outweigh the insured value of many AUs these days.

So the BA engine is quite fine with the stock AU 4spd, ecu etc??
Just a couple of small mods required for PS and A/C, but pretty much bolts in and goes??

My wife is gonna kill me if I do this, but she'll get over it ........ eventually

I think me gonna start loking for a good cheap BA motor now

DRAGN6 Build Thread

My Previous Rides:
LOTS, But I'm only listing my most recent!!

1. 2001 AU XR6 [New Daily]
  2. 1999 AU Classic [DRAGN6]
  3. 1992 EBII with too much to list! [sold and bough DRAGN6 as a 'stocker']!

DRAGN6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #173
Auxr6t
Starter Motor

As I said I have a manual but you are using the au harnes and sensors so I don't see why it wouldn't run the auto.
Old 29-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #174
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just thinking out loud, but i wonder how hard it would be to swap the looms computer/s from the ba into the Au, yes it would prolly be a pain and create issues, but it would solve other issues , if i recall correctly there is a guy on ebay that will modify a loom from car x to fit car y, that would`nt be a bad option i reckon for someone intending to go this path.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #175
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Prity well plug and play for the ecu. I used atomic vernier gears set on 0 for now. Top half of intake manifold with au throttle body. Ba power steering pump with custom hose. Cut au aircon bracket and used au pump. Manual gearbox bolted up with au starter. Au injectors and fuel rail. Plazmaman intake piping. Drives like the old vct motor jus bit more torque but havent had on the dyno yet. Could be done in a weekend. Picked up a ba fairlane motor for 400. Cam gears 700. I used a braided line for power steering 100.

Thanks for the prompt info Auxr6t, your ba engine swap is very impressive and sounds pretty straight foward . Im interested in this motor swap myself down the track, but keeping the ba motor stock though with some bolt ons only. You did use the stock power steering pump bracket? Keep up the good work Auxr6t, if you've got any other info re: ba motor swap into au, please feel free to share.

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #176
DRAGN6
DRAGN6

Quote:
As I said I have a manual but you are using the au harnes and sensors so I don't see why it wouldn't run the auto.
Sorry mate, but I did actually word that wrong.
I meant to say "So the BA engine SHOULD BE quite fine with the stock AU 4spd, ecu etc??"

DRAGN6 Build Thread

My Previous Rides:
LOTS, But I'm only listing my most recent!!

1. 2001 AU XR6 [New Daily]
  2. 1999 AU Classic [DRAGN6]
  3. 1992 EBII with too much to list! [sold and bough DRAGN6 as a 'stocker']!

DRAGN6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #177
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
just thinking out loud, but i wonder how hard it would be to swap the looms computer/s from the ba into the Au, yes it would prolly be a pain and create issues, but it would solve other issues , if i recall correctly there is a guy on ebay that will modify a loom from car x to fit car y, that would`nt be a bad option i reckon for someone intending to go this path.
its been done many times, and is now to the point where its documented well enough what you need to do.
with the main 'expense' being removing the security from the PCM.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #178
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

You should be able to run a standard BA pump with stock brackets. My ED hose even fit when i turned it around backwards, well it did work until turbo melted it.
Old 29-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #179
Auxr6t
Starter Motor

Just a quick snap of the motor in the car. Needs a bit of a tidy up but you get the idea.
Old 29-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #180
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about ignition Auxr6t?
Are you running the AU coilpacks?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post