Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-09-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
Coops2310
Starter Motor

Default AUII No speedo or tacho, low fuel & high temp lamps staying on

I have done a search of forum but have not found anything relating yet.

2001 AUII Forte wagon. 4.0L, auto, no ABS, driver & passenger airbag.

About 6 weeks ago, wife drove through a slightly flooded causeway & soon after engine ran rough & dash lost speedo, tacho & was missing bits of odometer display. Gave it a good blow down under bonnet, including coil pack, leads & electrical connectors. Engine ran smooth again but dash was the same. Removed & refitted both instrument fuses & that fixed the problem.

About a week later, engine ran rough again & dash played up. Found no spark at No 4 coil pack. Replaced coil pack & leads which fixed rough running. Dash still playing up, removed & refitted fuses. Odometer came good but still had problem with speedo, tacho & lamps. Airbag light not staying on or flashing code (comes on then goes off as normal) but put Snap-On scan tool on which brought up a airbag module fault. Cleared code & it came back within a minute.

So far I have checked charge rate - ok. Checked/cleaned earth points behind headlights, battery to chassis & to engine. Stripped down cluster & soldered any suspect dry joints. Replaced BEM & airbag module (under console). Also ran without airbag module & same problem present but airbag light stayed on. Have also noticed that speedo & tacho needles are free with ignition off but with ignition on they are hard to move. Have done a cluster function with scan tool & all lamps & guages work fine, including speedo & tacho.

I am thinking it could be an ECU short/spike ? or earth problem that is trying to get an earth from the the lamps & causing them to come on? Next step might be sitting down with wiring diagram & checking continuities of circuits ?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

PS. In relation to wiring diagam on forum, is there anyway they can be printed so I can trace them on paper rather than have to take laptop out to car?

Coops2310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the ecu is cactus, should try another one in it, just to be sure

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops2310
..........Any assistance would be appreciated.

PS. In relation to wiring diagam on forum, is there anyway they can be printed so I can trace them on paper rather than have to take laptop out to car?
Easiest way is to take a screenshot, then paste it into Paint or Word something similar, then enlarge/crop whatever you want, then save and print the document. Google screen shot if not sure how to do it.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Mr_Monty
Noctunral by nature.

Data From the ecu goes to the dash, i had a data pin corode on mine and with that lost temo gauge (stays all the way at hot) and rpms gone.

the ecu should be ok as they are coated in a polymer to keep em water proof ( if in doubt ford told me put ecu in over at like 50 or 80 degrees and sit for awhile to dry it, then get friendly with some contact and circuit board cleaner spray, should take about 3 cans ($8 each) clean the ecu pins and where the loom connects then the three blocks on connectors under dash, get ur head under there, 1 main one under passenger and 2 right side driver (1 white either side and 1 orange driver) then theres a screw left hand passenger side that drops bem, disconnect it and use the cleaner to flush off the bem circuit board and contacts etc as its not polymer protected. so is easily affected by water and contaminents. aswell im sure this passes diagnostic data thru to dash.

remember disconnect battery.

Best of luck.

98 Au V8 Forte (1500 kilo car) LSD, Pacie comp extractors into pacie cats into lukey 3" exhaust, New ecu, Powerbond street balancer, injectors, tyres (on 17" tickford rims form factory) Slotted and cross drilled rotors front and back, New radiator and hoses new crank position sensor and cam sensor plus gear, new leads and iridium plugs and new accel coil packs.
New S5 solenoid.
plus flash tuner (SCT X3 flash tuner)
Mr_Monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Coops2310
Starter Motor

Thanks for the replies so far. I have access to an Injectronics diagnostic system so I will see if that helps & I can clean the contacts at the same time as I have to disconnect the ecu to put a 'tap in' terminal for the system.
This user likes this post:
Old 05-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
Coops2310
Starter Motor

I connected the Injectronics computer up & the Snap-On scanner. I am getting speed & tacho signals from ECU & BEM to the ICM (Instrument Cluster Module) but gauges not functioning. When scanner used to test cluster, every test works (50% & 100% levels). I still have a B1342 code in the cluster that comes back almost immediately when cleared. All connectors checked & OK. I assume the ICM is built into the cluster so I will try & source a cluster. Hope this might help anyone who might experience the same problem.

Not sure if it was a coincidence, but this all started when the coil pack failed. Will update further when cluster changed.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

let us know how you go with cluster my fuel gauge is playing up and from doing lots of searches on here it is useally the cluster(wish i had read that before i pulled ute tray off and fuel tank apart
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2021, 09:22 PM   #8
Skye51
Starter Motor

Default Re: AUII No speedo or tacho, low fuel & high temp lamps staying on

Hi all - I have exact same issue as coops2310 - unfortunately cannot find what his solution was- AUII Ute 2002 - lpg only - no passenger air bag - following backfire events on 300 km trip - coil pack faulty and replaced - also new leads, spark plugs, air filter and ICV - constant alarm from instrument cluster with ign on or engine running - no Speedo or tachometer - high temp and low fuel lights illuminated- temp guage 1/3 - fuel guage 1/2 when full - odometer has odd characters - radio won’t accept code - also when ign turned off faint alarm from instrument cluster - removal of fuse and replace clears alarm - suspect an earth problem but where is the common earth ???? - any suggestions would be appreciated- thanks
Skye51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post