Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #31
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

i personally have always shuddered at the thought of donating organs..

i had a feeling that what happens when you die, noone knows. You could lie in eternal pain, or be unable to function in the 'afterlife'.. if you think the afterlife is hogwash.. show me your facts....

My girlfriend and I have spoken about being a donor a couple of times over our relationship, but just last night i was watching RPA and found out the donor rates. and honestly, i had NO IDEA it was that low. I think it really hit home to me at that point.

I honestly still dont feel comfortable being a donor, because i dont know what happens when i die... But im now of the opinion that you are taking a chance either way, and whatever the outcome, at least if i donate i have helped save or improve someones life.

I will now be talking to my family and letting them know of my enlightenment.
Old 25-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #32
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIPURSUIT
i personally have always shuddered at the thought of donating organs..

i had a feeling that what happens when you die, noone knows. You could lie in eternal pain, or be unable to function in the 'afterlife'.. if you think the afterlife is hogwash.. show me your facts....

My girlfriend and I have spoken about being a donor a couple of times over our relationship, but just last night i was watching RPA and found out the donor rates. and honestly, i had NO IDEA it was that low. I think it really hit home to me at that point.

I honestly still dont feel comfortable being a donor, because i dont know what happens when i die... But im now of the opinion that you are taking a chance either way, and whatever the outcome, at least if i donate i have helped save or improve someones life.

I will now be talking to my family and letting them know of my enlightenment.
Deciding to donate is not something to be taken lightly, it is a big decision.

Although I would love to see most people donate, just talking about it (even if deciding not to donate) is really important. I don't envy people having to make the call when they have just lost their loved one, so knowing their intention now makes life so much easier for everyone.

Encourage your family to discuss their intentions too, people often feel uncomfortable talking about it but you'll be discussing it in much easier circumstances now than down the track...
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #33
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

definately not an easy and rash decision... As i said, its been on my mind at various points for quite a few years now. I

i told my missus at dinner tonight and she was happy (as a pro donor). Though i said to her, my decision had no bearing on her happiness as its a personal decision.

with my elderlies living in perth, it will be a while before i bring the convo up.. probably mid year. i know my gf and sister want to donate, i need to find out the others.
Old 27-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #34
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIPURSUIT
definately not an easy and rash decision... As i said, its been on my mind at various points for quite a few years now. I

i told my missus at dinner tonight and she was happy (as a pro donor). Though i said to her, my decision had no bearing on her happiness as its a personal decision.

with my elderlies living in perth, it will be a while before i bring the convo up.. probably mid year. i know my gf and sister want to donate, i need to find out the others.
Really happy to hear that AUIIPURSUIT. I thought about it for a while before I changed my mind and I'm happy I did.

Just a shame the issue isn't really touched on by media, for an issue that has such a huge bearing on the organ/tissue donor and recipient and their families.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #35
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 
Default Re: Important issue for all to consider

Whilst organ donor week is long gone and the memory has faded from most peoples' minds - I would like to say thank you to the person who has today changed the life of my older brother and his young family.

I understand the heartbreak that their family must be feeling, and I fear they will never get to know the joy that they have brought back into my family's life, I do hope they know that their actions are very much appreciated, and we will be forever grateful. He got the call this afternoon and is on his way to get another chance at a somewhat 'normal' life.

So to the unknown person, again, and forever...thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #36
Wise
DWF00N

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek7
Selfish as it may be, it is my body given to me by my parents (or god for the religious I suppose), and I will do what I wish with it, no one has the right to take that away from me..
A good point. But does your family? At the moment the legislation says they do.

I'm of the opinion that I should be harvested for all I'm worth when I'm gone unless they have cyborgs or off the shelf parts that out do my parts. Heck, even my man bits can be harvested if they'll help a poor bloke who can't have kids.

The only thing I'm not kool with is donating blood. Just can't bear to part with it. I've spent my whole life producing it to keep me going and tried to keep it inside me as long as possible. I like it inside me. Mum donates regularly, but I just can't.

My auntie died from a fork up at the hospital after receiving a new heart. They put the wrong blood in her and it was all rejected. My cousin got to watch her die from it. Guess it was either that or watch her die from the hole in her heart without the transplant.

Also, the comment earlier about a deserving person getting organs, I'm pretty sure prisoners organs get donated when they die. Or I could be wrong and have that confused with the US. Would that suit your idea?

Now for sale - 30k
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #37
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.organdonor.gov/Default.asp

Here's the official site for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for organ donation. Everything you wanted to know about organ donation can be found there.

To answer your question about inmates who die in prison, I don't believe their organs are automatically donated, that could be another country. Here's an interesting article from Oregon: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42667886...ter-execution/

Donors and their families can contact each other if both parties agree, there are lots of cases where these families keep in touch because of the common bond they now share. I know a friend of a friend who donated her kidney because a match was found. She didn't think anything of it when she participated in a tissue match/donor drive to help a colleague of someone else but was surprised when she was asked to donate one of her kidneys to a patient who needed her kidney. Said she didn't need 2 so she donated after a lengthy process. Both parties wanted to meet, waited the obligatory 1 year and then they recently met. The friend of my friend still has some health issues after donating her kidney and is happy she did. Her main concern now is: what happens if a family member needs a kidney and she's a match? I heard this from my friend, not directly from the organ donor. Sorry, this is a bit different from this thread because it's was a live donation.

With all good intentions I wanted to donated blood and went to do so. I passed out while donating. Without going into detail, I wanted to add one thing about organ donation I didn't read here yet. Religion. (I have a feeling I'll get floored on this.)

Last edited by NickyN; 02-07-2011 at 06:58 AM.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #38
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyN
http://www.organdonor.gov/Default.asp

Here's the official site for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for organ donation. Everything you wanted to know about organ donation can be found there.

To answer your question about inmates who die in prison, I don't believe their organs are automatically donated, that could be another country. Here's an interesting article from Oregon: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42667886...ter-execution/
I think that may be China. I've seen something about that in the news.

Both my Wife and I are listed as Donors on our licenses, but we've never discussed it. I'm happy for someone to have my organs, and whatever else of mine they want when I'm dead. I'm also a relatively new Blood Donor. I did it for a while when I was younger, but never had the time after Uni. Now, I've started making the time - I take enough out of society, that I have to give something back.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post