Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 17-09-2021, 02:37 PM   #14971
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

It certainly isn't COVID free. Case numbers have increased substantially in the weeks since mid July with 5,159 cases in the last 2 month when they only had 1,700 from the start of the pandemic up to July. On the plus side, they have only added 10 deaths to their 28 total in that time so their CMR is about 0.44% in that period.

They have fully vaccinated 97% of the eligible population with 63,884 having had both shots which is 75% of the total population.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2021, 02:43 PM   #14972
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100
So now Dan the man has taken another step to making vaccines mandatory by starting with building industry,so most other trades will follow
Friend of mine lives in geelong and works in melbourne on the metro tunnel. He's basically been told that if he wants to work he has to stay in melbourne and can't go home. Got a 2 month old baby at home.

What kind of police state bull**** is this? Overstepping more and more as this ****show drags on.
Old 17-09-2021, 02:50 PM   #14973
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Friend of mine lives in geelong and works in melbourne on the metro tunnel. He's basically been told that if he wants to work he has to stay in melbourne and can't go home. Got a 2 month old baby at home.

What kind of police state bull**** is this? Overstepping more and more as this ****show drags on.
Yet in NSW we can work where we want as long as we have proof its for work and we go direct? Well thats what has happened to me and I have missed 1 week offsite since this whole thing started....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
This user likes this post:
Old 17-09-2021, 02:56 PM   #14974
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

…And with shopping/necessities the increased drag of delivery services is redefining “reasonably available”. Waiting two weeks for engine oil to not arrive (as I’ve just done) is not reasonable when it only has to travel 15km.
Old 17-09-2021, 02:56 PM   #14975
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Yet in NSW we can work where we want as long as we have proof its for work and we go direct? Well thats what has happened to me and I have missed 1 week offsite since this whole thing started....
And it's only for the construction industry. Anyone else is free to travel from regional to melbourne for work, except them. Dan's biting the hand that feeds him now.
Old 17-09-2021, 03:11 PM   #14976
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

After a slow start, Australia has achieved a pretty major milestone in the war against Covid:

Quote:
Australia surpasses the 70 per cent first dose mark nationally
Health Minister Greg Hunt says this is a significant and important milestone for the country.

He added that Australia has now administered 24 million vaccine doses.
I assume that is of eligible population, not entire population. Nevertheless, we are getting there.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 17-09-2021, 04:06 PM   #14977
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
After a slow start, Australia has achieved a pretty major milestone in the war against Covid:

I assume that is of eligible population, not entire population. Nevertheless, we are getting there.
Those 16+ I believe.

If we take everyone into consideration the number drops to low 50's.

Now that they are promoting vaccinations to those 12+ will that change the goal posts again I wonder? Hope not.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 17-09-2021, 04:12 PM   #14978
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m slightly puzzled at the age stop of twelve. Know more than one parent of a child under that age, who is concerned about their catching coronavirus. Why not start at kindergarten age?
Old 17-09-2021, 04:15 PM   #14979
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Who is enforcing that rule on your friend as my company in West Melbourne employees workers from Geelong and other close country/regional areas; they are free to travel to and from work. Nothing has been stated to them they cannot do this.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2021, 04:28 PM   #14980
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Who is enforcing that rule on your friend as my company in West Melbourne employees workers from Geelong and other close country/regional areas; they are free to travel to and from work. Nothing has been stated to them they cannot do this.
The company he works for, under orders from the government.

There is a restriction to travel between metropolitan Melbourne and Regional Victoria. Construction workers will now not be able to cross the metropolitan-regional boundary for work. This means that sites in metropolitan Melbourne will not allow regional Victorian workers on site and vice versa.

https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/c...e-construction
Old 17-09-2021, 04:33 PM   #14981
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

There is a restriction to travel between metropolitan Melbourne and Regional Victoria. Construction workers will now not be able to cross the metropolitan-regional boundary for work. This means that sites in metropolitan Melbourne will not allow regional Victorian workers on site and vice versa.

Tell him he only has to have one jab and he's fine to travel
Old 17-09-2021, 04:37 PM   #14982
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
At one stage they said you could also have proof of having made a booking for the jab, too. Not sure if that still applies or not.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 17-09-2021, 05:55 PM   #14983
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate who had his first AZ 6 weeks ago just received a txt saying he is overdue for this 2nd That's a bit cheeky!

Moderna arrives tonight, and the recommended interval is 28 days? That should speed things up a bit.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2021, 07:23 PM   #14984
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had my first jab yesterday arvo and have to say it was a fairly easy depsite the only criticism I would have is being asked for pretty much the same details instead of say print out a bar or QR code after the first time. I only bring this up because I wonder what effect it has on throughput.

First I had to check in with CBR app.
Then I had to use the CBR app to scan another QR code to fill in a form.
Then I had to talk to a person to confirm my details and booking.
Then the nurse asked all the same things plus some more specific health and consent questions. I got the jab, then it sent me a text scheduling my next one pretty much instantly.
Waited for 15 mins then had to line up to get out and yet again give much the same detail and confirm second booking.

The bonus was because I live on the **** end of Canberra, I had to travel some distance 70km round trip to get it.

I was initially not that happy about but I didn't expect to be in lockdown as much as we have been so was good to get out for a long drive
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2021, 07:56 PM   #14985
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

According to covidlive dosage forecast.......

No of days to hit first dose 80%
Vic = 12
QLD = 45
WA = 48
SA = 37
TAS = 16
NT = 49
ACT = 2

No of days to hit 2nd dose 80%
Vic = 87
QLD = 80
WA = 78
SA = 76
TAS = 69
NT = 67
ACT = 36

Interesting that Vic and TAS are to hit the first 80% much sooner, but others catch up on the 2nd dose. The gap on Vic is huge! Would this indicate there is a higher uptake of AZ in Vic and TAS, and that people are opting to wait the 12 weeks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
The bonus was because I live on the **** end of Canberra, I had to travel some distance 70km round trip to get it.

I was initially not that happy about but I didn't expect to be in lockdown as much as we have been so was good to get out for a long drive
haha same. Actually I wanted to book my 2nd jab in regional, at the time it wasn't strictly prohibited (but is now). In the end thought it may have been pressing my luck a bit, so booked one 40kms away. Was surprised to see how many cars were on the highways, and didn't see one patrol car there or back!

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Last edited by T3rminator; 17-09-2021 at 08:02 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2021, 07:57 PM   #14986
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Wrong!
The one jab is for allowing you to work on construction sites only not for travel between regional and Melbourne to work on sites.
Old 17-09-2021, 08:00 PM   #14987
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Fair enough I forgot about construction sites being restricted just recently; my company is manufacturing only.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2021, 08:32 PM   #14988
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Fair enough I forgot about construction sites being restricted just recently; my company is manufacturing only.
In my early working life, construction was in my opinion all the big industrial works, smaller stuff was building work, ie:- working on buildings, houses, commercial, shopping centres were building work, and construction was mine sites etc.
So is house building classified now as construction!...its a question

Cheers Billy
Old 17-09-2021, 09:36 PM   #14989
cosworthfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’m slightly puzzled at the age stop of twelve. Know more than one parent of a child under that age, who is concerned about their catching coronavirus. Why not start at kindergarten age?
From what I can find, it’s because kids have a much lower chance of dying of COVID than older age groups, so they could wait for trial data (trials for younger kids, from 12 years to six months, are still underway).

Doctors aren’t quite sure why, but while kids can still get very sick, it’s rare. (Out of the more than 130,000 people who died of COVID in the UK during the first year of the pandemic, just 25 of them were children). That makes weighing up the risks against the benefits of a coronavirus vaccine in children especially delicate. For any shot to make it through approvals, the risk you may face from the unintended side effects must be a lot lower than the risk from the virus itself.

Generally, vaccine trials on children are conducted after trials in adults anyway because they want to be more cautious. Researchers will need to confirm what the dose should be for younger kids (smaller bodies, immune systems that seem better prepared to fight off a case of COVID-19). In the Pfizer and Moderna clinical trials, the first group of kids get the lowest dose, about a third the strength of the adult shot, and are monitored closely, before it is slowly increased in the next group. The data from those trials is expected in the US sometime in October.

There can also be a concern the vaccine (or even the virus itself) will trigger an ‘overreaction’ of the immune system. In rare cases, fevers can get so hot, or change so rapidly, that it triggers convulsions in a small number of young children (generally those under five).

Cheers
Jamie
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2021, 10:01 PM   #14990
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
In my early working life, construction was in my opinion all the big industrial works, smaller stuff was building work, ie:- working on buildings, houses, commercial, shopping centres were building work, and construction was mine sites etc.

Cheers Billy
As I'm aware of housing has always came under construction; anything built from ground up is always construction in my opinion whether large or small.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2021, 08:49 AM   #14991
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Cheers Billy
Yes. Billy. Often referred to as the Housing and Construction industry.

3 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2021, 09:07 AM   #14992
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yes. Billy. Often referred to as the Housing and Construction industry.
Thanks rocky, so it's all classed as construction now?.....
So if a kid asked his house builder dad what he does for a job, his dad would say " I construct houses "....dont want to sound pedantic but it just doesn't sound right!.......

Cheers Billy
Old 18-09-2021, 09:18 AM   #14993
Metdevil

Quote:
So if a kid asked his house builder dad what he does for a job, his dad would say " I construct houses "....dont want to sound pedantic but it just doesn't sound right!.......

Cheers Billy
Has about the same ring to it as 'I construct mines' to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake
construction was mine sites etc.
Old 18-09-2021, 09:28 AM   #14994
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Those 16+ I believe.

If we take everyone into consideration the number drops to low 50's.

Now that they are promoting vaccinations to those 12+ will that change the goal posts again I wonder? Hope not.
The numbers are always calculated from over twelves which i thought was the youngest age the vaccine was approved for with Pfizer over the ditch here
Is it different for the AZ?

Or are the pollies over there trying to give the percentage rates a head start

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 18-09-2021, 09:51 AM   #14995
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Friend of mine lives in Geelong and works in Melbourne on the metro tunnel. He's basically been told that if he wants to work he has to stay in Melbourne and can't go home. Got a 2 month old baby at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
And it's only for the construction industry. Anyone else is free to travel from regional to Melbourne for work, except them. Dan's biting the hand that feeds him now.
I'm sure that Dan is well enough aware of where his support base is but the data doesn't leave much choice.

The reality is that construction has proven to be a problem with new case outbreaks and the fact that the average geographical spread of those case was 10x the distance of other cases (40km v 4km) so the risk of travelling back to their regional areas is just too great to take.

In a typically mature response, I see the CFMEU members decided to disrupt what little traffic was in the Melbourne CBD by having their smoko breaks out on the road but despite the warnings that have been given over the last weeks I saw little evidence of masks or social distancing.

Frankly, as one of the few 'privileged' groups still allowed to go to work, if they want to behave like recalcitrant school kids then I'd simply ban construction workers from being on site or reduce it back to 10% of the workforce and see how they like that.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #14996
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I'm sure that Dan is well enough aware of where his support base is but the data doesn't leave much choice.

The reality is that construction has proven to be a problem with new case outbreaks and the fact that the average geographical spread of those case was 10x the distance of other cases (40km v 4km) so the risk of travelling back to their regional areas is just too great to take.

In a typically mature response, I see the CFMEU members decided to disrupt what little traffic was in the Melbourne CBD by having their smoko breaks out on the road but despite the warnings that have been given over the last weeks I saw little evidence of masks or social distancing.

Frankly, as one of the few 'privileged' groups still allowed to go to work, if they want to behave like recalcitrant school kids then I'd simply ban construction workers from being on site or reduce it back to 10% of the workforce and see how they like that.

I would have thought the unions would have been hot on covid safe given their stance on WHS.
Old 18-09-2021, 10:11 AM   #14997
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
The numbers are always calculated from over twelves which i thought was the youngest age the vaccine was approved for with Pfizer over the ditch here Is it different for the AZ?

Or are the pollies over there trying to give the percentage rates a head start
12+ is the approved range but as I posted the other day, the official counts are all based on the 16+ age group.

So (as of yesterday), the National official figure (16+) is 45.4% double dosed but that falls to 42.8% of 12+ and only 36.4% of the total population.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2021, 10:26 AM   #14998
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I would have thought the unions would have been hot on covid safe given their stance on WHS.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2021, 10:47 AM   #14999
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Having been a Union member in the bad old days of the " dangerous 70's " I found that any Union was only as good as its members!
Workers all want good conditions ( safety ) and good pay rates for site work, especially isolated mine sites, but getting them to vote to strike is a different matter, what happened recently in Melbourne CBD was "****weak" and an embarrassment, you have to gain something with these antics, and you want to gain the support of the public!...they failed

Cheers Billy
2 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2021, 11:03 AM   #15000
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hehe unbelievable how some grown ups are having a whinge about not being able to have their tea parties indoors during a pandemic. Unfortunately one of me best mate happens to be one of them. Reminds me every day how essential he is and how he can travel wherever he wants. I said, privileged much? You are lucky Dan hasn't done a Berejiklian on you and shut you down.

Building site inspections find 73% breach COVID-safe rules
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...17-p58sn9.html

"Case numbers have ballooned at construction sites and a government spokeswoman said after 200 surveillance checks on Thursday, 73 per cent of construction sites were not compliant with health directions. The non-compliance rate in other industries is 19 per cent."

Rides (past and present)

2 users like this post:
Closed Thread