Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 06:20 PM   #13351
tweeked
N/A all the way

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Lasted until 2.39.....so this powerpoint master thinks only 18 current cases in Australia are beyond "mild"! I think the 63 in ICU and 25 on ventilators will be happy and feel much better after watching his presentation.

Will go back to paying attention to presentations from people with some form of training now.

Last edited by tweeked; 07-08-2021 at 06:49 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2021, 07:46 PM   #13352
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Lasted until 2.39.....
I was out in under 45 seconds when I could tell it wasn't about cool Utes on heat.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2021, 07:51 PM   #13353
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Speaking of which, the Ute Muster hasn’t been cancelled yet - but participating vehicles are surely going to be measured in the tens, not the hundreds or more?
4 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2021, 10:32 PM   #13354
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Words fail me.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...e-a178705faa5d
This user likes this post:
Old 07-08-2021, 11:04 PM   #13355
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Gotta keep the Donors & Big Business happy & the Economy Ticking along..
Old 08-08-2021, 05:31 AM   #13356
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Got to agree, that's just a free pass to spread and spread and spread

Cheers Billy
2 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2021, 07:45 AM   #13357
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Lasted until 2.39.....so this powerpoint master thinks only 18 current cases in Australia are beyond "mild"! I think the 63 in ICU and 25 on ventilators will be happy and feel much better after watching his presentation.

Will go back to paying attention to presentations from people with some form of training now.

Like fact checkers, the head of WHO (non medical doctor), employees of organ grinders?
Old 08-08-2021, 07:58 AM   #13358
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
[/COLOR]

Like fact checkers, the head of WHO (non medical doctor), employees of organ grinders?
... The Head of the WHO has a masters in infectious diseases, his CV is literally available for anyone to see online.
https://www.who.int/dg/election/cv-tedros-en.pdf

So yes, like those people.
Seriously, what an awful argument
Old 08-08-2021, 08:48 AM   #13359
knight rider
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Never heard of them before but the video did sound biased to suit his a agenda but facts are facts aren't they ? so question is are they correct , isn't that what matters or is it a team sport you have to pick one side or the other ?

Why is covid considered so deadly ? Is that is just more infectious so more people get it compared to the flu so more die
Or does it have a much higher kill rate because it's more deadly ?

I'm not looking to get the vaccine anytime soon but will eventually I would think - I have doubts of its effectiveness and safety ATM
High risk groups should make the choice base on that to suit them - how where you work, your lifestyle and age

Do I believe everything I'm told or meant to believe NO - apparently a football stadium is a covid safe house according to our government
So no I take what they say with a grain of salt and make my own mind up what's right for me

Should we keep locking down this country as we are ATM ? I don't know but I do know if they the government keep letting people in with the virus and different strains, I can hardly be expected to keep abiding by there lockdown rules - when will it end
Each time we seem to get on top of it they let it back in and seem happy to point the finger at us as the reason

Anyways hope lockdown is lifted today but seems we are pandering to the weak and lazy who appear to like this "pretend WFH"brigade - that's not everyone who WFH , my wife does and it's business as usual for her but not so good if you have a business or work under contract and only get paid when you work - and in most cases miss out on government hand outs as well
Anyone in government paid jobs are loving it - less real work - it's like a Holiday

That'll do Cheerio
Old 08-08-2021, 09:08 AM   #13360
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metdevil View Post
... The Head of the WHO has a masters in infectious diseases, his CV is literally available for anyone to see online.
https://www.who.int/dg/election/cv-tedros-en.pdf

So yes, like those people.
Seriously, what an awful argument
yeah right, check his real history before hand, some resume!
2 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2021, 09:12 AM   #13361
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Speaking of which, the Ute Muster hasn’t been cancelled yet - but participating vehicles are surely going to be measured in the tens, not the hundreds or more?
There's no real utes left anyway to display.

4 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2021, 09:47 AM   #13362
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
yeah right, check his real history before hand, some resume!
Feel free to provide some insight, rather than vague accusations, at any time...
4 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2021, 11:32 AM   #13363
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Yet... I live in a high risk LGA, been stuck at home 6 weeks, fully vaccinated and test every 3-4 days yet I'm not a tradie so I can't go to work...

Just wonderful Gladys....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 08-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #13364
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It’s incomprehensible. A week into the resumption of construction and cases are already rocketing up. If the incumbents truly believe in pursuing “zero Covid” they have a poor choice of methods. 2020’s narrative of “Flattening the curve” has been forsaken. We’re on track for heavy growth in diagnosed cases, I believe.

I have one square of chocolate for every hundred (or part of) NSW cases each day. A friend commented “You’re going to be diabetic at the rate we’re heading”…

YF, how do they define a tradesperson? Buy a fluoro vest and a hard hat.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2021, 12:03 PM   #13365
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
It’s incomprehensible. A week into the resumption of construction and cases are already rocketing up. If the incumbents truly believe in pursuing “zero Covid” they have a poor choice of methods. 2020’s narrative of “Flattening the curve” has been forsaken. We’re on track for heavy growth in diagnosed cases, I believe.

I have one square of chocolate for every hundred (or part of) NSW cases each day. A friend commented “You’re going to be diabetic at the rate we’re heading”…

Well... I teach High School DT and have a Bunnings Trade card linked to my sole trader ABN that sells clothes

Does that count??

Regarding the tradie restrictions - a little birdy told me that all of a sudden a whole heap of tradies from SW Sydney seemed to magically 'move' into the houses of friends and family outside of the problem LGA's...

The whole thing is a farce... circa 300 cases now... what will it be next week??

Has anyone whispered into her ears that her plan is not working?

I'm sick of her condescending speeches at 11am full of 'teacher talk'...

I heard the Homebush vaccination hub is open today for tradespeople and food vendors etc... but, they are so serious about getting everyone jabbed ASAP that they refuse to pay the overtime on Sunday rates as the centre closes at 4pm...

Should have been opened till 10pm and doubled the shots given... but what the hell do I know?

2 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #13366
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

5 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2021, 12:07 PM   #13367
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:

Well my definition of a tradesman is a person male/female who enters a "trade" to learn from the bottom up, to obey the rules of your signed Indenture Contract, for a period of 5 years, now 4 or 3?
Spend 4 days a week hands on practical, and 1 day per week learning theory at a qualified teaching institution.

Passing all examinations, practical and theoretical then at the end of said indenture you are given a certificate or trades papers, then you can say you are a tradesman or trades woman.

Cheers Billy
Old 08-08-2021, 12:07 PM   #13368
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I'm sick of her condescending speeches at 11am full of 'teacher talk'...
Funny you should say that, I greet them with “Good morning Miss Berejiklian”.

My personal prediction is NSW cases topping out around 900-1K/day in the next fortnight.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2021, 12:11 PM   #13369
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Funny you should say that, I greet them with “Good morning Miss Berejiklian”.

My personal prediction is NSW cases topping out around 900-1K/day in the next fortnight.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:12 PM   #13370
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post
You too?...finding a 10mm socket is a nightmare, I have 3 x10mm and 3x12mm and still have a hassle, but I am blind as a bat, lol.

Cheers Billy.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #13371
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
In Victorian lockdowns I believe it was determined by which industry had the most powerful/vocal lobbyists.

Building construction had to work while landscape construction was a danger to public health.

You get used to it after about your 4th lockdown CB
Old 08-08-2021, 12:53 PM   #13372
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT August 7th 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

353 new cases for Australia and 5 deaths so the CMR is 2.605%. NSW set another new daily high with 319 cases.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.903%.

The UK had a lower 28,228 cases yesterday and higher 103 deaths for a CMR of 2.156%.

A lower 133,581 new cases in the USA yesterday and lower 786 deaths sees CMR at 1.736%.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
Global cases move above the 90th percentile for the 10-day period;
Fiji moves above Australia for the most cases in Oceania;

Kazakhstan (7,899);
Japan (15,645); and
Thailand (21,838)

... recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and none drop below.

Fiji makes an interesting comparison. Despite only having ~4% of our population, they have almost the same total case numbers as us at around 36k but they have less than a third of the deaths (296 v 939).

In per capita terms, they have more than 4,000 cases per 100k of population where we have 141 / 100k so that's a much higher infection rate in Fiji.

Likewise, they have 33 deaths per 100k of population which is almost 10x higher than our 3.6/100k so that perhaps gives us some insight into what might have happened here.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2021, 12:55 PM   #13373
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Well my definition of a tradesman is a person male/female who enters a "trade" to learn from the bottom up, to obey the rules of your signed Indenture Contract, for a period of 5 years, now 4 or 3?
Spend 4 days a week hands on practical, and 1 day per week learning theory at a qualified teaching institution.

Passing all examinations, practical and theoretical then at the end of said indenture you are given a certificate or trades papers, then you can say you are a tradesman or trades woman.

Cheers Billy
Spot on, but in my case 3 days a week at TAFE once every 3 weeks.

We seem to have all these pretend trades popping up.

Workhorse, Landscapers are a danger to public health.

3 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2021, 01:00 PM   #13374
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
She had so much advice and so much criticism towards Victoria And Qld handling of Covid. That's bit her in the rear end big time.............
Old 08-08-2021, 01:31 PM   #13375
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I can't see NSW cases topping out at much ~600 in this current outbreak based on modelling but I should also say that model is based on the Victorian Wave II experience of last year where it appears, superficially at least, that the level of compliance was better and the restrictions tougher.

The model predicts that peak to arrive in about in about 8 more days but it's a rubbery estimate at best!

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 08-08-2021, 01:35 PM   #13376
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
In Victorian lockdowns I believe it was determined by which industry had the most powerful/vocal lobbyists.

Building construction had to work while landscape construction was a danger to public health.

You get used to it after about your 4th lockdown CB
Not sure where you live, but out on the eastern suburbs, every time we come out of a lock down, there are newly laid roads all over the place. Some of them have been well needed for too long!

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
3 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2021, 02:18 PM   #13377
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Not sure where you live, but out on the eastern suburbs, every time we come out of a lock down, there are newly laid roads all over the place. Some of them have been well needed for too long!
The three quarries I frequent here have had constant flow of trucks running up and down to Melbourne supplying landscape, dam, road building, construction materials over the whole time. Definately getting large projects done.

2 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2021, 02:20 PM   #13378
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surprised it took so long to set one up. Although supply constraints probably meant one wasn't needed until now?

Quote:
Australia’s first drive-through vaccination hub to be set up in Melton
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...08-p58gsx.html

"The nation’s first drive-through vaccination hub will be set up at a former Bunnings site in Melbourne’s west while Victorians aged 18-39 will be able to receive the AstraZeneca jab at nine of the state’s mass vaccination centres from Monday."

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:25 PM   #13379
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
She had so much advice and so much criticism towards Victoria And Qld handling of Covid. That's bit her in the rear end big time.............
but has it? Its easy to forget the 750+ cases Victoria was recording at its peak last year. Stronger strain this time around as well.

Any viable suggestions on how she could have managed it better?
Old 08-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #13380
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0 View Post
but has it? Its easy to forget the 750+ cases Victoria was recording at its peak last year. Stronger strain this time around as well.

Any viable suggestions on how she could have managed it better?
Could of locked down earlier like she was advised.............

She didn't seem to have a problem telling other states what they should be doing..
Closed Thread