Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 19-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Mondeo to Replace Falcon !

From DRIVE 19/11/09

In contrast with the wagon, the Falcon sedan last month outsold its Commodore rival for the first time since 2006. But doubts remain about the long term future of the Falcon range, with the Mondeo looming as a likely long-term successor.

Old 19-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
obione980

It's bigger inside than the Falcon, smoother - and rides and drives better!!

Bring it ON!
obione980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

I'll be off to Holden or Chrysler for my next new car if that comes to fruition.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by obione980

Bring it ON!
Youve compared them have you.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
xrford
WAGONE

are they serious? a mondeo with a family or group of mates going away towing a ski boat, moto trailer & bikes , caravan???..... F that! terrys are a good car but theyve got to keep things real we cant all drive them! And i cant see FWD being all that suitable for occasional towing either.
xrford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 02:13 AM   #6
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrford
are they serious? a mondeo with a family or group of mates going away towing a ski boat, moto trailer & bikes , caravan???..... F that! terrys are a good car but theyve got to keep things real we cant all drive them! And i cant see FWD being all that suitable for occasional towing either.
The Mondeo diesel won "Tow car of the year" awards in the UK, so I think it would be fine for occasional towing.

I very much doubt that there will be another Falcon after the FG, unless Ford can get the sales much higher than they are now. So enjoy it while you can.
Old 20-11-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
Zippy7

XR5 wagon please...

Or an even less likely scenario - FPV Mondy wagon...
Old 20-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Hmm, well lets have a look at this.

Mondeo isn't a huge seller (the medium car segment has been stagnant), and I dont see it getting bigger.
The FG isn't selling in huge units like it once was, but it is selling a lot more to private buyers which is more profitable, especially since the higher end models are selling more, while the XT is a low seller.
Ford manufacturing in broady plan to not have a down day till mid 2010, and I'm sure they would be looking at ramping up production is the demand is getting higher.
So I doubt it, but there hasn't been a dooms day Falcon article for a while.

But its pretty easy for me, I'll wait for the VE to change the interior and I'll jump in one of them, cause I know I wouldn't pay my hard earned for it.
Old 20-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a bad car but dont see FWD replacing RWD

Maybe if it was a turbo v6 awd
mac_man_luke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Dream territory....XR5 wagon, 6spd manual
..even better, XR5 (or v6) turbo AWD wagon.
....for a family man that needs to carry more than 4 people and luggage (esp camping), and who still enjoys the driving experience.
I tried to start this thread a number of times, But Ford Oz don't seem to be listening.
Also, I believe supply is still a major issue holding back sales of Mondeo (see other post re scarcity of Titaniums).
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

if im not mistaken, falcon wagon sales are higher than total mondeo sales. It would be unwise to do this, anyone remember the Taurus?
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would buy a Titanium wagon tomorrow if it was on sale here. BUT will never be on sale here
Old 21-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #13
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I would buy a Titanium wagon tomorrow if it was on sale here. BUT will never be on sale here
Bet money you couldn't!

After all tomorrow is Sunday

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #14
IngoStang

Typical, Just bought my first Falcon ever after being a Holden Boy all my life (be gentle) Surely they couldnt scrap such an aussie icon
IngoStang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #15
obione980

The model T was iconic too. Every dog has its day - and all that.

I've had several Falcons over the years - they were good cars for their time; but their time is past - their technology superceded. They remain Ok vehicles, but there are better.

The ascendance of Japanese cars exemplifies changing tastes, and higher expectations.
Old 22-11-2009, 12:08 AM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD
Bet money you couldn't!

After all tomorrow is Sunday

Cheers
Its a saying !!! but monday would be the day !!!! check out the TITANIUM wagon on Fords UK site !! They also have a XR5 wagon as well !!!
Old 22-11-2009, 12:27 AM   #17
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

An Xr5 wagon... Now you are talking.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #18
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Its a saying !!! but monday would be the day !!!! check out the TITANIUM wagon on Fords UK site !! They also have a XR5 wagon as well !!!

Yes I comprehend it is a saying, as my response was tongue in cheek. But I've just discovered that some dealerships are active in Melbourne on Sundays, I need to get out more!! :O

And it is annoying that in Oz the range is so restricted. Our move into a Mondeo was mostly due to having a Mk3 diesel Gia Wagon in the UK for a week and got hooked on the economy (50 mpg = 5.6 l/100km!!) and with fuel costing one pound eighty per litre (read $3.25/litre) it really mattered.

And now we have one and we like it a lot :

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #19
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Yes, UK has XR5-Equiv wagon. Bigger range driven by more sales and shorter supply lines, with less lost sales due to wider and speedier availability.
Dream on....
Old 23-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #20
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Slightly OT, I spoke to a MA XR5 owner at Marques in the Park yesterday. He was rapt with the power AND economy (900Km h'way/tank) of the XR5. Would buy another one tomorrow. Not a Ford fan, prev. Honda Accord and Subaru Outback. Just a very satisfied customer. That type of response will win sales from other brands, and mean yet more sales......and (maybe) a wider range.
Serious competition for the Falcon range.
Old 23-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
Slightly OT, I spoke to a MA XR5 owner at Marques in the Park yesterday. He was rapt with the power AND economy (900Km h'way/tank) of the XR5. Would buy another one tomorrow. Not a Ford fan, prev. Honda Accord and Subaru Outback. Just a very satisfied customer. That type of response will win sales from other brands, and mean yet more sales......and (maybe) a wider range.
Serious competition for the Falcon range.

Lets see it start to sell some serious units cause at the moment they're pretty poor.
Old 23-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #22
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:

Bring it ON!
Says you!

I can't fit in the Mondeo like I can a Falcon.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #23
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Mondeo feels similar in size as my AU and any B-Series or other Falcon I've been in. In every single Falcon I've driven, I always have to push the seat all the way back. In my Mondeo It doesn't need to go back as far. Maybe it is the location of the seat rails, but I feel I have more room in the Mondeo.

Cars are very similar in size. I downsized from a Falcon to a Focus. After a couple of weeks you learn to adapt.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #24
RicOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
Says you! I can't fit in the Mondeo like I can a Falcon.
No offence, but if you can't fit into a Mondeo then you can't fit into any car. Mondeo interior is suprisingly big for what is a "medium sized" car. Maybe you need to change height setting?
Old 24-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #25
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Agreed with bucknaked.

We have a BA GT, a BA futura and a MA mondeo.

The mondeo has more room inside, and I don't have to put the seat all the way back in the mondeo.

And Im not a small guy either, 6' 7" and 100kgs.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #26
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The model T was iconic too. Every dog has its day - and all that.

I've had several Falcons over the years - they were good cars for their time; but their time is past - their technology superceded. They remain Ok vehicles, but there are better.

The ascendance of Japanese cars exemplifies changing tastes, and higher expectations.

please explain?
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #27
wusyc

I am wondering if it is the front footwell design. The Mondeo seems to have quite a bit of length in the front footwell.
Old 24-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #28
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Not going to happen I don't think. Falcon sales have just tipped Commodore ones so all the pro Holden media outlets now have to dig up their old "FALCON DOOMED" articles.

Wasn't there a thread here not long ago saying Ford were looking at going for a GRWD platform and the Falcon base was the likely contender.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #29
obione980

Explanation for prydey: The Falcon retains an inefficient and thirsty 6 in line petrol engine - and generally outdated suspension design and 'chassis' dynamics.

The booming sales of Japanese cars - and Euro cars with improved safety features, efficient interior space usage, and more efficient engine designs (often with a diesel option) - indicate to me a shift in buyer expectations.

Government buyers and big business want cheap!! Cheap to buy, and cheap to run. Fleet sales have always been the steady staple source of demand for Commodore and Falcon. They've all but dried up.
Old 25-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #30
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Explanation for prydey: The Falcon retains an inefficient and thirsty 6 in line petrol engine - and generally outdated suspension design and 'chassis' dynamics.

The booming sales of Japanese cars - and Euro cars with improved safety features, efficient interior space usage, and more efficient engine designs (often with a diesel option) - indicate to me a shift in buyer expectations.

Government buyers and big business want cheap!! Cheap to buy, and cheap to run. Fleet sales have always been the steady staple source of demand for Commodore and Falcon. They've all but dried up.

inefficient and thirsty engine? for the size of the car, sub 10L/100km is hardly thirsty, considering much smaller and less powerful products from japan can't do much better.

it also has a 5 start ancap rating so its not exaclty less safe than these so called 'safer' euro cars as you put it.

suspension design? you've obviously driven one back to back with a euro product and had issues with the ride then??

for the job they are designed to do (carry up to 5 adults in comfort, drive long distances with ease, tow the family trailer on occasion etc etc) they do it extremely well. they are built to a budget and fall down in some areas (build quality, materials used) but this is improving. its very hard to compete with overseas manufacturing at the moment and you've probably noticed a lot of jobs going offshore.

the aussie auto industry needs to be supported but too many people like yourself have failed to appreciate the ground ford have made up over the recent years with their products.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post