Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 25-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #31
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by obione980
Explanation for prydey: The Falcon retains an inefficient and thirsty 6 in line petrol engine - and generally outdated suspension design and 'chassis' dynamics.

The booming sales of Japanese cars - and Euro cars with improved safety features, efficient interior space usage, and more efficient engine designs (often with a diesel option) - indicate to me a shift in buyer expectations.

Government buyers and big business want cheap!! Cheap to buy, and cheap to run. Fleet sales have always been the steady staple source of demand for Commodore and Falcon. They've all but dried up.
ROFL, so a low volume 6cyl engine that until recently matched the Camry 4cyl in fuel economy, A world calss auto in the German ZF, safety that was modelled at Volvo and beats some euro's that are twice the price.
The Falcon has a low R&D budget compared to its rivals yet can deliver so much. Would love to see what would come of the car if it had twice its budget.
Old 25-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #32
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
the aussie auto industry needs to be supported but too many people like yourself have failed to appreciate the ground ford have made up over the recent years with their products.
I assume you mean the Australian Built and Designed cars. Not the imported Fords?

I don't agree that fords coming from OS are any more superior to the Australian Built Falcons. 5 Star Ancap is nothing to sneeze at. It proves ford has come a long way. While safety is an important consideration, other aspects of a car are equally important. Value for money is one. Ride and comfort and the level of inclusions. The thing I liked the most about my Mondeo is that you pretty much got everything standard. The Falcon you have to option. Depending on what you want, it's gonna cost you.

One of the main reasons why people prefer RWD over FWD is that you can't rip a skiddie as good in a FWD drive car as you can in a RWD. :hihi: How will one survive at Summernats and Friday nights at Macca's.

FWD has come along way from the early days. I still prefer a RWD myself and I like Auto's, neither of which were available in my car. But I figure, it's not the end of the world, so give it a go.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #33
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I assume you mean the Australian Built and Designed cars. Not the imported Fords?
correct - the aussie auto industry. i was referring to falcons and to an extent commodores. having said that, by purchasing other products from the aussie brands (ford and holden) it may give the company enough boost financially that although they aren't selling as many units as they would like of certain models, they can continue to make them because of good sales in other areas.

what is the relative pricing of a mondeo and an equivelent falcon?
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #34
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
correct - the aussie auto industry. i was referring to falcons and to an extent commodores. having said that, by purchasing other products from the aussie brands (ford and holden) it may give the company enough boost financially that although they aren't selling as many units as they would like of certain models, they can continue to make them because of good sales in other areas.

what is the relative pricing of a mondeo and an equivelent falcon?
Not sure on the pricing. I got my XR5M for $40,000 on road back in Feb. I thought it was a fair price. I think the latest rounds of ads has the XR6 Falcon at a touch under $37,000 drive away. Represents very good value for money. I paid more than that for my AU, and that was 2nd hand. : The price of the MB XR5M now is around $45,000 maybe a bit more.
Old 25-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #35
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Lets say Mondeo XR5. One of the most expensive Mondeo's in the line up.

Comes standard with everything for about $46K, there's not really anything to option except a tow pack etc.

And we'll go an NA XR6 for similar 'sporty' taste and power.

NA Xr6 you will need to option sunroof, leather seats, parking sensors, safety pack (curtain airbags, perimeter alarm), technology pack, Premium audio pack , 18 inch alloys if they still come with 17's which I think they do?, lights on feature, carpet mats, scuff plates, smokers pack (if you wish, but it does come standard in mondeo).

So that is a lot of options, Im unsure if you would get all that for under $46K as the ford website as we all know doesn't do prices anymore.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #36
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Not sure on the pricing. I got my XR5M for $40,000 on road back in Feb. I thought it was a fair price. I think the latest rounds of ads has the XR6 Falcon at a touch under $37,000 drive away. Represents very good value for money. I paid more than that for my AU, and that was 2nd hand. : The price of the MB XR5M now is around $45,000 maybe a bit more.
You get alot more car for yoru $$$ these days in general. Heck a FG XR6 was $36k new not long ago and still might be.

The mondeo is a nice car no doubt about it. But the falcon does deliver more for not much less and cost you a tad more in fuel.

It all just depends on your priorities. I would see a mondeo as purely an a to b car. I wouldn't tow with it, nor it some of the rougher roads oz has for example.

Where lucky to have such a choice!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #37
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
You get alot more car for yoru $$$ these days in general. Heck a FG XR6 was $36k new not long ago and still might be.

The mondeo is a nice car no doubt about it. But the falcon does deliver more for not much less and cost you a tad more in fuel.

It all just depends on your priorities. I would see a mondeo as purely an a to b car. I wouldn't tow with it, nor it some of the rougher roads oz has for example.

Where lucky to have such a choice!
I bought mine as an upgrade on a small car. And for us, it is a car that we use to get around. We ride bikes to and from work each day, and the Mondeo is our only car. I have always considered cars as just transportation. They are there to ferry us around.

I put a tow bar on the Mondeo because I had a trailer. I've towed twice with it and it handles the job better than I thought. Most people will say that FWD are not made for towing. All that weight, reducing traction etc etc. I had a 1.8 litre focus a few years ago, and used it to tow a 7x4 trailer, same one I use the Mondeo to tow with. On a full load, pulled it no worries. Hills were a challenge in the focus , but the car happily towed a fully loaded trailer.

I wouldn't put the car on a dirt road. You gotta clean it and fix the stone chips :hihi:
Old 26-11-2009, 01:01 AM   #38
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I guess that this family has an almost ideal mix.

A Territory for the hard yards and the ability to tow a 2000 Kgm caravan/trailer when we want to admit we are "grey nomads"

And a Zetec HDCi for the two up trips to Adelaide (where we used to live) or Sydney without worrying about a fill in between times. And it falls short of the Falcon in very few areas, and is somewhat better in others like fuel economy.

Ford, IMHO, have always built good cars in OZ but the Falcon and the Territory badly need a diesel engine option to give potential buyers ecological alternatives.

The Territory coud do with a little more ground clearance too. And it's a pity about the ball joint problems.

Having owned GMHA products and had something to do with their production facility I'm putting my money where my biases lie.

You choose a car based on what you want to do with it. I think we have a good mix - but who knows what the future holds?

In my view the current Falcon is probably the best built Oz car currently available. Here's hoping Ford can make it better with some lateral thinking. But volume counts - I think the plant in Belgium is dedicated to production of the Mondeo range? Perhaps 300,000 units or more per annum? With volume like that you can afford to be adventurous with options. Unless Ford get serious about exports, I expect the Oz based brand to suffer a slow painful demise. GMHA have managed to keep themselves afloat by pursuing the export orders vigourously.

And BTW I would have seriously considered a Falcon if the diesel option was available.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2009, 07:44 AM   #39
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
Lets say Mondeo XR5. One of the most expensive Mondeo's in the line up.

Comes standard with everything for about $46K, there's not really anything to option except a tow pack etc.

And we'll go an NA XR6 for similar 'sporty' taste and power.

NA Xr6 you will need to option sunroof, leather seats, parking sensors, safety pack (curtain airbags, perimeter alarm), technology pack, Premium audio pack , 18 inch alloys if they still come with 17's which I think they do?, lights on feature, carpet mats, scuff plates, smokers pack (if you wish, but it does come standard in mondeo).

So that is a lot of options, Im unsure if you would get all that for under $46K as the ford website as we all know doesn't do prices anymore.
what about g6 or g6e?
Old 26-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #40
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I would have gone a Falcon diesel if one was available. The G6E or G6E Turbo would be the equivalent to my MA 2007 TDCi. I paid just under $45K on the road with everything - bluetooth, mats, spats, sunroof, leather, bonnet protector, heated seats and the dealer threw in a tow bar and the first two services for nix.

This is a sweet car: http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/bncis/details.aspx?R=7399832&__sid=123C30AE2008&__Qpb=tr ue&Cr=0&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort _Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String| 0&keywords=&__N=1216%201247%201282%201252%201246%2 04294966463%204294966285%204294815839&seot=1&__Nne =15&trecs=192&silo=1011, but it's also pricey, and I wouldn't get a sunroof, unless I ponied up another $2k (most likely).
This one is also a sweet car: http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/bncis/details.aspx?R=7601694&__sid=123C30AE2008&__Qpb=tr ue&Cr=4&__Ns=pCar_YearMade_Int32|1||pCar_RankSort_ Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0&keywords=&__N=12 16%201247%201282%201252%201246%204294966463%204294 966285%204294965775%204294815840&SearchAction=N&se ot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=235&silo=1011. Again no sunroof. But is a good price, and I love that light coloured leather.

Both would do everything I need, and as I'm getting older, I like a bit of luxury in my cars. However, I can only compare my Mondeo to my BA Futura.

That Futura did 175K in 4 years, combination of highway and city as it was a company car. Two things went wrong when I had it - the boot wouldn't open (replaced solenoid) and the A/C pipe filled up and leaked into the car. Nothing serious here. It would get about 15l/100 in the city and the best I saw was 9l/100 on the highway.
My Mondeo beats that easily, as I generally get about 700 kms out of a tank. I liked that Futura that much, I actually asked the place I left whether I could buy it, and if the had said yes, I reckon I'd still be driving it - it was a champion car.
I'd be looking at the Titanium TDCi next time around or the G6E (Turbo if the missus says yes!).
My issues are:
need economy as I do mostly city with the occasional highway (maybe 700 kms twice a month)
Need room as I have a young child and will possibly have another when my lease is up
Need comfort and bluetooth
That memory driver's seat might be the clincher for me.

The hatch has plenty of room, and it comes with Bluetooth and a sunroof as standard. I know what the fuel consumption is going to be like as I've already got a diesel. I've already been quoted mid 40s drive away for a Titanium diesel. This is line ball with the non turbo G6E. If there was a diesel G6E, for me it would be a no brainer. Petrol, I'm thinking about the 450 kms I got to a tank in my Futura and not liking that. I know the insurance might be cheaper, and accessories are easier to find (and cheaper - I'd be looking at a pod on the roof), but fuel is the killer for me.

My averages are as follows (at last fill up)
Kms travelled: 32474
Average distance between fill ups: 524 kms
Average cost per fill up: $74.06
Average cost per litre of diesel: $1.396 (most I paid was on 12/7/08 when diesel was $1.869 a litre!)
Average amount of fuel into car: 43.6 litres
Average fuel economy: 7l/100 kms
Average operating cost (diesel only): $0.13

If I could get a Falcon to do the above, I'd get one in an instant. I know there is a diesel Territory coming out, but the only one that would interest me is the Ghia, and that's already in the $60K area (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/bncis/details.aspx?R=7864329&__sid=123C30AE2008&__Qpb=tr ue&Cr=0&__Ns=pCar_YearMade_Int32|1||pCar_RankSort_ Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0&keywords=&__N=12 16%201247%201282%201252%201246%204294966463%204294 966190%204294793077&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=244&silo =1011), which will make the diesel too pricey for me. The Territories are nice (in need of an update inside), but I couldn't justify the money. I have a mate who works at Ford, so I could get family and friends, but I think the discount you get is off the off the RRP, not any deal you negotiate with the dealer, and again it could be abotu the same price for the G6 as the Titanium TDCi.

I do feel a bit of a turncoat for not supporting the local manufacturing here, but when I got my Mondeo, the BF was still about, and compared to the Mondeo it just didn't do it for me.

Just my thoughts though.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #41
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Hmmm...Some of us might have the reverse 'fit' problem. I'm 5'7" (and proportionally long in leg), and the wife is similar height but short in leg. Oh oh, might make convincing her we 'really really need one' that much harder.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #42
illusivedreams

Please dont forget the Falcon is the 3rd highest selling car in Aus for last months of 09.

ITs bloody good,

Give it a diesel or a hybrid option and problem solved.

It would not make scence to replace with a Mondeo as it is no where to be seen on the top 20 ladder.

So how can you replace a car thats 3rd with one that sells like ********.

They would loose 2500 sales per months.
K&N Panel Filter
FG XR6 17" Rims 245/45-17 tyres
XR6T Snorkle
BA front Caliper Conversion 300mm With Bendix Heavy Duty Pads
Tow bar
Transmission Cooler
illusivedreams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #43
illusivedreams

Quote:
inefficient and thirsty engine? for the size of the car, sub 10L/100km is hardly thirsty, considering much smaller and less powerful products from japan can't do much better.

it also has a 5 start ancap rating so its not exaclty less safe than these so called 'safer' euro cars as you put it.

suspension design? you've obviously driven one back to back with a euro product and had issues with the ride then??

for the job they are designed to do (carry up to 5 adults in comfort, drive long distances with ease, tow the family trailer on occasion etc etc) they do it extremely well. they are built to a budget and fall down in some areas (build quality, materials used) but this is improving. its very hard to compete with overseas manufacturing at the moment and you've probably noticed a lot of jobs going offshore.

the aussie auto industry needs to be supported but too many people like yourself have failed to appreciate the ground ford have made up over the recent years with their products.

I agree was just testing for cars. (Accord Euro,Mazda 6 Mondeo,++++++4 weeks)
Took the Honda Accord v6 for a spin back to back with FGE

How can you even compare the hondas ******** ride and pathetic quality. Plastic crap cheap feeling interior.

Dont go down that road.

G6e is the best bang for backs <$50,000 with almsot no exceptions.

Only car I liked in the class was the Aurion Pressara....PS its also locally built...

I OWN AN AU UTE AND A LEXUS IS250. If I was not worried about the resale I would not touch the lexus. But my better half like the looks of the IS250 and the only reason i own it and not the G6E Turbo.
K&N Panel Filter
FG XR6 17" Rims 245/45-17 tyres
XR6T Snorkle
BA front Caliper Conversion 300mm With Bendix Heavy Duty Pads
Tow bar
Transmission Cooler
illusivedreams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #44
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dunno about the Mondy replacing Falcon, but the Falcons days are definitely seem numbered?? didn't ford recently announce they are adopting a "global platform" and therefore not going to make vehicles for small local markets?? i'm sure that would include Falcon & Australia...

it's interesting to read some of the comments in this thread. there are those who will defend their Falcons till the end. to them i would say to this, get your **** into a Mondeo and experience what a pleasure they are to drive before you condemn them. i have driven both and their is no comparison imho.

LRsedan had it right too, to spec up a Falcon XR6 to the same level as a Mondeo XR5, you'd be well above the list price...
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #45
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
I dunno about the Mondy replacing Falcon, but the Falcons days are definitely seem numbered?? didn't ford recently announce they are adopting a "global platform" and therefore not going to make vehicles for small local markets?? i'm sure that would include Falcon & Australia...

it's interesting to read some of the comments in this thread. there are those who will defend their Falcons till the end. to them i would say to this, get your **** into a Mondeo and experience what a pleasure they are to drive before you condemn them. i have driven both and their is no comparison imho.

LRsedan had it right too, to spec up a Falcon XR6 to the same level as a Mondeo XR5, you'd be well above the list price...
don't believe everything you read in the media. much more info on this very forum regarding the future of the falcon and the global platform. there is a chance it will share a common rwd platform with mustang.

why compare falcon and mondeo? to me, they are slightly different markets. both are extremely competitive at what they are designed to do. when you say you have driven both, were they the same year? were you towing a trailer up a hill? both do their job well but to say one is no comparison to the other is a bit of a stretch if you ask me but each to their own.

with the demise of the wagon, and the fact that i don't really need one as my kids are getting beyond the pram stage, my next car will no doubt be a ford sedan of some sort. i've looked at mondeo's and the exterior styling (to me) isn't as good as falcon and the interior of the falcon (to me) is also a lot better. looks and styling are subjective so whats nice to me will be different for the next bloke.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #46
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
don't believe everything you read in the media. much more info on this very forum regarding the future of the falcon and the global platform. there is a chance it will share a common rwd platform with mustang.
yeah i've heard that too but will believe it when i see it...

Quote:
why compare falcon and mondeo? to me, they are slightly different markets. both are extremely competitive at what they are designed to do. when you say you have driven both, were they the same year? were you towing a trailer up a hill?
i wasn't really meaning to compare them as such. my point was supposed to be more about parochialism and that people should be more open minded. as for your question, my new Mondeo XR5 is on a boat between Melbourne and Port Kembla as i type and i have a FG Falcon sitting on my driveway. i have driven the FG over the same roads i used for an extended test drive of the Mondeo.

Quote:
i've looked at mondeo's and the exterior styling (to me) isn't as good as falcon and the interior of the falcon (to me) is also a lot better. looks and styling are subjective so whats nice to me will be different for the next bloke.
i agree, it is subjective. i quite like the styling of the falcon XR6 but really feel the interior lets it down, whereas i like both the interior and exterior of the mondeo.

it gets argued that mondeo isn't a big seller here. i reckon with half the effort ford uses to market the falcon it would be a winner with consumers rather than just the motoring journos...
Old 02-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #47
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
it gets argued that mondeo isn't a big seller here. i reckon with half the effort ford uses to market the falcon it would be a winner with consumers rather than just the motoring journos...
Mondeo is over priced and in the wrong segment. The Medium car segment has a small market share (but its a stable segment). Plus the Mazda 6 just comes off as a better car and is more popular.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #48
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Mondeo is over priced and in the wrong segment. The Medium car segment has a small market share (but its a stable segment). Plus the Mazda 6 just comes off as a better car and is more popular.
which mondeo?? LX, Zetec, Titanium or XR5??

the latter two are so chock full of goodies as standard the price is easily justified. not familiar with the other two so not so sure, although i have the brochure in front of me and their list is pretty impressive too.

i agree mondeo is in the wrong bracket. it really is a big car...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
Old 02-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #49
Zippy7

Quote:
he Mazda 6 just comes off as a better car and is more popular.
I agree the 6 is more popular.

I disagree that it is better value. No way. I compared the Luxury spec model to the Xr5 and just could not see how it was value for money in any sense.

The motoring press just love Mazdas, I bet they get a very good discount or something... I can't understand how they manage to only write gushing Mazda reviews and gloss over flaws.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #50
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7
I agree the 6 is more popular.

I disagree that it is better value. No way. I compared the Luxury spec model to the Xr5 and just could not see how it was value for money in any sense.

The motoring press just love Mazdas, I bet they get a very good discount or something... I can't understand how they manage to only write gushing Mazda reviews and gloss over flaws.
Go to a Ford dealer to buy a mondeo and the go to a mazda dealer. The Mazda dealer will win most of the time.

Luxery spec model has enough to justify the price tag, But it is overpriced (as is its competitors).

Quote:
which mondeo?? LX, Zetec, Titanium or XR5??

the latter two are so chock full of goodies as standard the price is easily justified. not familiar with the other two so not so sure, although i have the brochure in front of me and their list is pretty impressive too.

i agree mondeo is in the wrong bracket. it really is a big car...
Mondeo in the large car segment would really be considered a failure, it wont sell more then it is now. As for price, its a 4cyl car fighting against the big boys. Besides the interior space I don't see it any better then a Falcon.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #51
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mondeo in the large car segment would really be considered a failure, it wont sell more then it is now. As for price, its a 4cyl car fighting against the big boys. Besides the interior space I don't see it any better then a Falcon.
i mean't to put a ;) after saying that... tongue in cheek doesn't transfer to text so well... :

like i said, my experience with mondeo so far has been either XR5 (of which mine arrived in port today) or Titanium TDi both of which i would take over the Falcon i am driving at the moment (which admittedly is an XT)

debating is futile really anyway as previously mentioned by someone, opinios are subjective.

as for mazda, i had an Astina in the past which was a great little car but i think now their range has turned butt ugly with that stupid smiley face design!!

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
Old 03-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #52
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

To continue to Mazda6 Vs Mondeo argument....with my non-owner opinion for what it is worth. I'll say at the start that I am only interested in a 3-pedal manual, notippy-tronic thing even vaguely considered (showing my age and bias). These are my impressions of recent test-drives only 10mins apart, over the same roads.
Dealers - both local Ford dealer salesmen displayed lack of product knowledge, Mazda dealer definitely knew his product (and the variations across the equipment levels.)
Vehicles (XR5 Vs M6)
The Drive - M6 manual diesel Lux (+leather) I drove steered Ok and had a better feel gearbox than Mondeo, but Mondeo ride and steering seemed to me, far superior. Mondeo reminded me of my old/stolen 88 Prelude. XR5 has ooomph from low revs and feels like a bigger motor (early Hondas, V8s, old-style 6). M6 Diesel suffered classic turbo lack of urge below 1900rpm ('tho better than Audi 1.9 diesel I suffered for a weekend).
The Interior - apart from the obvious size difference (very esp. after XR5>M6 transition) felt far more opulent in the Mondeo than Mazda, reminiscent of our 87 Telstar TX5 Ghia (that just wore out ...). Instruments were better to use in the M6, I'm not taken by the Mondeo's focus on the colour screen for info.
The Price - close enough for XR5 and M6 Lux Sports not to make any difference.
The Equipment - XR5 is streets ahead. Revised M6 just coming onto market is stil playing catch up in this area.
The Quality - M6 probably better given track record, few question marks over Ford...Hmmmmmm
The Styling - (in my eyes) M6 is confronting , either love it or hate it. Mondeo is still basically conservative, with XR treatment helping it to stand out. Lack-of-notice factor will help with *not* being noticed when scooting around the countryside
The Colour Range - Mazda6 wins hands down. Seems Ford has supply problems gaining vehicles that are not black/white/grey for the XR5 range (it is not as if Ford UK/Belgium don't make them!!) - poor import decision IMHO.
The Winner (for me anyway) - XR5 Turbo, with a couple of reservations.
But it all comes back to what catches your personal eye, and the things important to you.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #53
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you aren't wrong about the colours. i would love to have had the option of some of the colours in the Focus/Fiesta/Falcon ranges... ended up going Black as that was the only one my missus liked (apart from Sea Grey but we are moving away from a grey car)

Old 03-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #54
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
but i think now their range has turned butt ugly with that stupid smiley face design!!
I'll agree with the mazda 3, the 6 I could deal with. But they are really happy cars!! lol
Old 04-04-2010, 11:36 PM   #55
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So which segment should it be in? It's not a Commodore / Falcon competitor as it doesn't have a 6 cylinder option. So it must be a medium, despite the interior space, and compete with the Mazda 6, Accord, etc. In NZ, it certainly competes in the medium segment on price, and is popular.

I directly compared the Mondeo and Mazda 6 wagons. They're both very good cars and have different strengths, but no way would I say the Mazda 6 is a better car. The Mazda 6 performs better, but the Mondeo is a far more refined and comfortable car on NZ country roads where I mainly drive.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #56
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
So which segment should it be in? It's not a Commodore / Falcon competitor as it doesn't have a 6 cylinder option. So it must be a medium, despite the interior space, and compete with the Mazda 6, Accord, etc. In NZ, it certainly competes in the medium segment on price, and is popular.

I directly compared the Mondeo and Mazda 6 wagons. They're both very good cars and have different strengths, but no way would I say the Mazda 6 is a better car. The Mazda 6 performs better, but the Mondeo is a far more refined and comfortable car on NZ country roads where I mainly drive.
By wrong segment I mean that the Medium car segment is is somewhere you wouldn't really chase large units for sale. Especially for the asking price of a Mondeo.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #57
Zippy7

Quote:
Go to a Ford dealer to buy a mondeo and the go to a mazda dealer. The Mazda dealer will win most of the time.
Huh? So the Mazda dealer gives you a bigger discount? I'm not sure I know what you mean here by "win".
Quote:
Luxery spec model has enough to justify the price tag, But it is overpriced (as is its competitors).
I don't agree - please list what you think the Mazda has over the Mondy? Unless you're just plain trolling, or a Mazda Fanboi.

The Mazda have the same 2.5L 4 cylinder. Cannot compare to the 2.5T in the XR5. The Mazdas don't even come with parking sensors (Front AND Rear in the Mondy). Where does the Mazda have better equipment?
We looked closely at the top models in both ranges and the XR5 was miles ahead.

If you were comparing non-XR5 models, then that is a different comparison altogether.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #58
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Huh? So the Mazda dealer gives you a bigger discount? I'm not sure I know what you mean here by "win".
Talking more about better dealers (most of the mazda dealers are better then Ford), when a consumer is looking at both (and most dont research their cars) they will go with a make that they feel will be the safer option.

Quote:
I don't agree - please list what you think the Mazda has over the Mondy? Unless you're just plain trolling, or a Mazda Fanboi.

The Mazda have the same 2.5L 4 cylinder. Cannot compare to the 2.5T in the XR5. The Mazdas don't even come with parking sensors (Front AND Rear in the Mondy). Where does the Mazda have better equipment?
We looked closely at the top models in both ranges and the XR5 was miles ahead.

If you were comparing non-XR5 models, then that is a different comparison altogether.
I actually said they all were over priced, I did look at the features and there wasn't anything that great (been looking for an XR5 for the missus).

As for Mazda Fanboi, I don't think so. Tried putting my mom in a Mondeo, she would have until it was a 4cyl for that much?? Nah the Falcon will do.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #59
Zippy7

Quote:
most of the mazda dealers are better then Ford
Okay. I agree - all the Mazda dealers I have visited are much more educated about their product, and actually want to make the sale - they have the right attitude about getting you into the car.

Quote:
I actually said they all were over priced, I did look at the features and there wasn't anything that great (been looking for an XR5 for the missus).
Fair enough. I was looking at the Liberty and felt that would've been a better deal than the M6 (if I really wanted a non-turbo).