Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Exclamation Fisker Automotive files for bankruptcy

Electric powered cars are getting better. But they are still not a viable alternative to fuel powered cars. People are overestimating the impact electric cars will have in the near future. It will take a few more decades before electric cars become a real alternative.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#axzz2loiO4Hla

Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Fisker Automotive files for bankruptcy

I think your probably right or close. But Fisker's bankruptcy cant be used as a reason or even good example of how electric cars are failing.
Many more internal combustion engine based car manufacturers failed in the early days than electric have to date, I also think some hide it around the place and walk away after the failure with a pocket full of cash. Fiskers short history is full of litigation and failure to launch and some dumb plain bad luck. Massively over priced cars aimed at the sort of people who don' give a toss about the environment. Powerfull and quick over short ranges enough to wory many a super car but with only short ranges due to lagging battery tech.
Look at Prius, sells reasonably well becuase its affordable-ish. They will get there Im sure.
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Fisker had a great concept, but they tried to be too environmental ie, they had to have things such as recycled glass for the paint, recycled this and that in the interior all adding up to the cost of the car.
Oh well, looks like Brian Johnson's "Thunderguts" one the race after all.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I think the problem is that battery technology sucks at the moment, especially the range of all electric cars being around 200km.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Doesn't the Fisker have a small petrol motor that powers a generator when it runs out of power? So its a hybrid I think? I remember Brian drove it whilst James drove the bentley and he ran out of power and was able to keep driving.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I think the problem is that battery technology sucks at the moment, especially the range of all electric cars being around 200km.
My daily also has about a 200Km range at 20 Litres per 100km. And its probably slower than an outright performance electric car. The Karmas attained 4.5 L Petrol/100 km
However I think the fisker only had 20-30 mile range, electric only with a 2.0L petrol engine supplying power making it a hybrid
The Karma's two 201 brake horsepower motors produce 1,300 newton metres of torque and is capable of a 125 mph top speed and is capable of reaching 60 mph from a standstill in 6.3 seconds.
It also had a solar roof topping the battery up adding 6-7 miles a week!
The blody thing weights 2400kg's

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
the best techknowledgey battery and patent was bought by chevron oil.

Patent encumbrance of large automotive NiMH batteries
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_...NiMH_batteries

Last edited by burnz; 27-11-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: add link
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
My daily also has about a 200Km range at 20 Litres per 100km. And its probably slower than an outright performance electric car. The Karmas attained 4.5 L Petrol/100 km
However I think the fisker only had 20-30 mile range, electric only with a 2.0L petrol engine supplying power making it a hybrid
The Karma's two 201 brake horsepower motors produce 1,300 newton metres of torque and is capable of a 125 mph top speed and is capable of reaching 60 mph from a standstill in 6.3 seconds.
It also had a solar roof topping the battery up adding 6-7 miles a week!
The blody thing weights 2400kg's

JP
The problem I'd see myself having with an electric car is I'd be blasting out music, A/C going hack, half a million electronic things happening at once, I'd reverse out of my driveway and it would go flat.

Internal combustion engines suck from an efficiency point but at the moment there isn't anything coming close to being viable to replace it.

I can only imagine how much of a pain in the *** it would be replacing brushes in those electric motors, or how much a new battery pack would cost, because you cooked it by fast charging it or didn't look after it by charging it at a certain percentage all the time to extend its life.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
The problem I'd see myself having with an electric car is I'd be blasting out music, A/C going hack, half a million electronic things happening at once, I'd reverse out of my driveway and it would go flat.

Internal combustion engines suck from an efficiency point but at the moment there isn't anything coming close to being viable to replace it.

I can only imagine how much of a pain in the *** it would be replacing brushes in those electric motors, or how much a new battery pack would cost, because you cooked it by fast charging it or didn't look after it by charging it at a certain percentage all the time to extend its life.
Ha ha, you'd probably only get 4klm.

The after market for this thing would pretty boring too.
Can you imagine the ads; "ballast resistor from 8 ohms to 4 ohms - improve power by 120 watts!!!!!!!" Yawn.

Quote: