Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 3.7 Diff gears

Has anyone put 3.7 diff gears in their AU XR8? Results, good or bad? What about re-calibrating the speedo?

I never really considered it before but i found a fully rebuilt LSD housing with 3.7's in it for sale & it got me thinking it that it might wake the old girl up a tad.

Thanks guys

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
T3man
Banned

You already have 3.45 so you won't even feel the difference going to 3.7. If you got it for free OK otherwise not worth the money.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that. My LSD's feeling a little tired (single spinning a bit), was thinking it might be a reasonable upgrade for the money.

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

Old 07-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
T3man
Banned

Well if you have to repair your LSD and the one on offer is guaranteed rebuilt for the same price then it's probably good buying - just don't expect anything extra from the 3.7 - speedo is able to be corrected with a black box - available from shiftkits.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool, thanks again.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You should be able to go to Ford and get a different ratio cog for the speedo drive. As you're only going from 3.45 to 3.7, they should have one that will get the speedo close to right.

When I did my manual conversion in the SR, I went from the 3.08 ratio to 3.7. Speedo was out a loooooong way. I got the best cog for the speedo drive that Ford could give me (i.e. the largest ratio change they allow for), and it's still out by 8%. As most speedos are out by 2-3 kays at 100kmph, I'd say that was as close as I was going to get without the box mentioned by T3man. My jump was three intervals, starting at 3.08 to (1)3.23, (2)3.45 and (3)3.7. yours is one jump, so Ford should have you covered.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
SIKSIX
Its gone V

Hi BigRed220, I had 3.23 as a standard ratio then went to 3.73 with LSD and it was a noticible difference. Then went back to 3.45 because i managed to fracture the pinion gear on the 3.73 gearset, from what my diff guy said he rekons 3.73 are hit and miss because of the way they need to be setup. he rekons that they need alot of shimming which under big loads they can move and load up the gearset incorrectly resulting in fractured gears if your lucky. or worse, blown casing.

But then again my mate has a S2 XR8 ute and has had 3.73 for ages now and has had no dramas. i got my frist diff setup at a el cheapo workshop thinking i'll save money. he went to where i go now and both of us have had no dramas.

I think its worth the gear change from a performance point of veiw, and the speedo can be easily and accurately calibrated to the exact km/h with a Jaycar speedo corrector
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResu...x=0&SUBMIT.y=0

Hope that helps.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
T3man
Banned

Ford can't supply a gear to suit any diff ratio lower than 3.45 (black 22 teeth) because that is the lowest factory option. So you need the signal bender if you want to get it accurate. If you buy the Jaycar one you have to solder it together yourself - if you buy the Shiftkits one it is the same thing but they have assembled it for you already.

Once again though I can assure you that you will gain absolutely nothing in performance from a 7% change in diff ratio. The only benefit would be if you did a lot of towing in which case you will use less fuel because the engine will be under less load. This is why I have 3.7s in my wagon.