Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 20-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #61
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: docs candy pearl xb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmattie
Doc, that's a hot car mate.

What was it's original specs?

I keep meaning to call into the fish shop and say G'day.
it is apollo blue over silver factory sunroof l/r tank,air steer 12/75 so got a few things strange like the rear side indicators running along the body instead of up/down,got extra rails underneath for body support i guess i have never seen them on any other coupe with a roof ,it helped over the years when bigger h/p was on tap ,not so much now ...doc
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #62
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

done abit of work lately on the xb ,dropped in the fuel tank..

Old 22-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #63
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sweet looking coupe mate i thought u were aiming to have it on the road by now as stated in previous post, u gonna cruise up to the sunny coast when finished if so i know some nice back roads to let her open up on...
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #64
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb-fairmont
sweet looking coupe mate i thought u were aiming to have it on the road by now as stated in previous post, u gonna cruise up to the sunny coast when finished if so i know some nice back roads to let her open up on...
yeah i wish ..work comitments always get in the road unfortunatly but hey you gotta try to keep some sort of deadline ...doc
Old 22-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #65
u2canb12
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising cruises and keeping the events in the spirit of the forums 

Hey Doc, just found this thread and I have to say its one sweet ride you have there! I have a soft spot for XB and reckon there the best of all the Australian 2 door cars. Love the colour and style........
u2canb12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #66
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

got a littlebit done over the break ,just need to finish polishing tailshaft and install then the fun bit .....wiring up the efi ....doc
Old 07-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #67
Hood-G6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking good mate. Gotta get the bigger pics back tho.

For sale

ADELAIDE FG OWNERS
Hood-G6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #68
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood-G6
Looking good mate. Gotta get the bigger pics back tho.
yeah tell me how and i will ,i thought i was reducing them too much but that seems to be the size no matter what i put through photobucket ,could be a setting in pb perhaps ,...doc
Old 08-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #69
u2canb12
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising cruises and keeping the events in the spirit of the forums 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside
yeah tell me how and i will ,i thought i was reducing them too much but that seems to be the size no matter what i put through photobucket ,could be a setting in pb perhaps ,...doc
Just upload them as their original size into your Photobucket account and paste the image code for each photo in your post.

I was doing the samething until someone showed me how

The coupe is looking sweet..............
u2canb12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #70
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

turns out i am clicking on wrong photobucket image .i downsize from my puter as the image is way large and each pic takes over a minute to do so lets try this

Old 08-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #71
Hood-G6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Much better. Car is looking great!

For sale

ADELAIDE FG OWNERS
Hood-G6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #72
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

That is a work of ART Doc.
Lov'n the updates!!!

BACK TO THE BONE YARD
Tha Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #73
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not sure i am looking forward to the next bit ,although i have wired up a few coupes and did abit of customising with hiding wiring which is no hard task ,now i am faced with getting the efi and xb spliced together and sort out the harness ,i have a sneaky feeling i am in for a headache ,might have to call in a pro ...doc
Old 10-01-2012, 04:32 AM   #74
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like it will end up fairly low - make sure you fit a pinion snubber or the driveshaft will hit the floor. Been there, done that - messy.
GTB 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #75
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah its all sitting there in shed next to the tailshaft loop ,not alot of h/p in this car but i like to know that some problems can easily be eliminated ,should stop ok too with the bigger brakes ...doc
Old 10-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #76
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

done abit more over the 5 minutes i actually spent on the coupe over easter

Old 17-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #77
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well its been awhile since i updated this one .not much has happened with the wiring up of the wolf keeping us busy ,several delays from wolf themselves didnt help but i'll throw up some shots of the confusion ...i mean wiring

Old 17-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #78
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we are trying to use as much of the ford au stuff as possible just to keep costs down ..cut down the fuse box that sits in the engine bay of an au ,and plastic welded it to the shape that suited our purpose ,seems that alot of the problems that go into putting later efi motors into older cars is the amount of power that they draw and arnt compensated for ,ending in charging and running problems .as you can see we have mounted it on lhs front kick panel about glove box height ,which is where the wolf ecu has been positioned

Old 18-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #79
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

Geez Doc, That looks complicated!!! Better you than me. I tend to short things out and start fires when I touch wires, Hence been banned from touching electrics
I just noticed are you running the handbrake in the center and whats it out of?
Thinking about fitting one to Cols coupe meself.

BACK TO THE BONE YARD
Old 18-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #80
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

hey doc
are you going to brace where the handbrake lever goes
years ago, i spoke to a mate's old man who knew more about most things mechanical than just about anyone about putting mine into the console
while he did not look at the car, he suggested that with the lever generally always on, it would probably put added pressure on the transmission hump that it wasn't designed to cope with
i guess to give it somewhere to bolt, you would need to put a plate in there at least, and you have probably already looked into it, but it might be food for thought
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #81
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the handbrake is out of an el ,you will find that it will sit in almost same position as the el even in an xb as the floor pans are practically identical ,ford has changed very little right up to end of au .the problem you might encounter is the attachments on diff as that is very differant if you look back through the build somewhere is pics of the diff where we changed stuff and rotors as the hand brakeing system activates inside the rotors ,very simple but works alot better than the xb type...doc
Old 23-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #82
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

Thanks Doc, Will check it out.

BACK TO THE BONE YARD
Old 23-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #83
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
hey doc
are you going to brace where the handbrake lever goes
years ago, i spoke to a mate's old man who knew more about most things mechanical than just about anyone about putting mine into the console
while he did not look at the car, he suggested that with the lever generally always on, it would probably put added pressure on the transmission hump that it wasn't designed to cope with
i guess to give it somewhere to bolt, you would need to put a plate in there at least, and you have probably already looked into it, but it might be food for thought
you might notice that the handbrake goes through the floor where there is a lot of extra meat ,same ribs as the seats attach too ,dont think any damage can be possible ,not many ever thinks about the extra stress the whole chassis goes through from extra ponies ...well untill there are strange panel kinks and bulges and she dont track real good....food for thought ...doc
Old 25-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #84
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside
you might notice that the handbrake goes through the floor where there is a lot of extra meat ,same ribs as the seats attach too ,dont think any damage can be possible ,not many ever thinks about the extra stress the whole chassis goes through from extra ponies ...well untill there are strange panel kinks and bulges and she dont track real good....food for thought ...doc
me personally i cannot understand why it would be a problem. while the hand brake could be on over 99% of the time, i wouldn't have thought there would be that much tension from it
also as you have suggested, some of these cars have huge amounts of power so there much be some pretty good strength in the body

as i posted, the gentleman in question did not look at my actual car when suggesting it may be a problem, but suggested that it might be an area of concern to look at beefing up. you have probably already looked into it, but i like everyone here would hate for you to have trouble over something like this

when this gentleman told me stuff, i listened (as good as my non mechanical brain could). he was from the old school and i would trust him more than pretty much anyone who had their own shop. at 65 he built an amusement ride that seated 33 in his backyard totally from scratch (except for a set of plans) - i took what he said seriously, so while my advice may not have been needed, if it was to help, it was worth giving

and by the way, it still looks magnificent - good luck with the rest of the build
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #85
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

spent last week end doing the rest of the wiring inside and fuel pumps
Old 02-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #86
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and we now have power to the wolf

and thanks to shane melon466

for a copy of his brothers wolf program we now have a program to put in this wolf ......doc
one very kool coupe

Last edited by darkside; 02-11-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #87
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Location: In the garage - waiting for the car to build itself!!

Nice work mate - coming along nicely.

Having Melons car there would have been a big motivation too!!
AllCoupedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #88
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we actually went for a drive to pomona ,shanes correct in saying pics dont do the car justice and it sounds pretty bloody good too hes done a great job with her .and yeah has made me want to push this project along abit ,bit hard when yur depending on other people to get their finger out,anyone would think that they had other things more important than my car ,sposed to have both cars inspected for mod plates today so one more job out of the way...doc
Old 13-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #89
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i got to do a few more bits over last week ,the ef console we been mucking about with got recovered ,that was fun ,decided to paint the plastics in black ,had to use abit of filler to get rid of the grain that ford stamp in it but come up ok ,have sent the console lid to the apholsteres to get done properly ,sticking vinyl on is one thing stiching it is another ,wont get that back till after xmas

Old 28-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #90
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well after many months of getting the ac cobra up and running and a few on going issues its time to get back into the coupe,sent wolf puter back to get stuff done to it weeks ago apparently they sent it this week express ...service is everything ........cant complain about what you don't have ...anyway should get back into it next week and some more updates ...doc