Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #241
EBII Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Ghia
QF 767 VH-OGP just made an emergency landing at Adelaide. They performed a number of low passes than eventually landed without event. Landing gear indication problem allegedly, nose gear in particular, Im led to believe. They did do an emergency gear drop as evidenced by the MLG doors open on landing.

From www.news.com.au

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/v...22?area=travel

THE Victorian cricket team and band the John Butler Trio were involved in a tense near-miss in Adelaide when the landing gear of their plane appeared to fail.
Cricket Victoria spokeswoman Jessica Cook said the entire squad of 17 - including Australian team members Cameron White and Peter Siddle - and sports staff were on the plane from Darwin to Adelaide last night.

Ms Cook, who was travelling with the team, said after circling the airport several times, the Qantas crew advised passengers a cockpit light indicated a problem with the landing gear, particularly the front wheel.

After a tense 45 minutes, passengers were advised to prepare for a crash landing and get into a brace position.

"Every big name that we have was on the plane,'' she said.

"There was certainly a bit of angst and we were very happy to get off the plane.''

..Ms Cook said the John Butler Trio was at the front of the plane and, like everyone else on board, was shaken by the ordeal.

Despite a "bumpy'' touchdown, the plane landed safely, she said.

Ms Cook said they could see emergency vehicles on the runway as they came in to land, which heightened the drama of the situation.

"There was certainly some applause and cheers once we did land,'' she said.

Most of the cricketers were sitting towards the rear of the plane.

They were supposed to continue on to Melbourne on the same plane, but instead waited several hours in the Qantas lounge for a replacement plane.

Deakin University Professor Damien Kingsbury was on the plane and said the uncertainty was terrifying.

"It's a bit like being before a firing squad and not knowing if they're firing blanks,'' he told ABC radio in Melbourne.

A spokesman for the John Butler Trio said the band had performed in Darwin and was on its way to Adelaide for a gig tonight.

He said the band was "fine and well'' and there was nothing more they wanted to say.

A Qantas spokeswoman said the alarm was caused by "conflicting cockpit indications'' during landing preparations and a conservative approach was taken to request a priority to land.

"The aircraft safely landed without incident and at no time was the safety of anyone at risk,'' she said.

The plane landed at 5.17pm local time (5.47pm EST) and was inspected by engineers.

It will be back in service today, the spokeswoman said.
EBII Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #242
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #243
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

What do they say about things happening in threes? Not long after the 763 gear issue into adelaid comes this little number. Quite a bit more concerning really because while the 744 has 4 engines (helpful little feature when you lose one) this was a pretty rare case of 'uncontained' engine detonation. Busted a hole in the cowling for engine 4 by the looks so best place for it to happen. Much rather have all the crap flying out of it to go outwards over the pacific then inboard into the neighbouring donk or fuselage.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgate.com

747 makes it back to SFO after engine fails

Henry K. Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer
San Francisco Chronicle August 31, 2010 12:00 PM Copyright San Francisco Chronicle.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Courtesy Loren Portillo / SF Gate

A Qantas Airways flight made an emergency landing at SFO early Aug. 31, 2010 after an engine exploded in mid-air, authorities said. Photo courtesy of Loren Portillo.

(08-31) 12:00 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- A Qantas Airways flight made an emergency landing at San Francisco International Airport early today after an engine failure in midair punched a hole in the external casing, an incident that one expert called "extremely rare."

Qantas Flight 74, a Boeing 747 with 212 passengers on board, left San Francisco for Sydney, Australia, at about 11:30 p.m. Monday. The plane had reached 30,000 feet about 45 minutes after takeoff when a malfunction in the No. 4 engine on the right wing ripped a hole in the external casing, or cowling, authorities said.

Radar tracks on FlightAware, a flight-tracking website, show that the plane was about 275 miles west of San Francisco when the incident happened.

The pilot declared an emergency, made two wide circles over the Pacific to dump fuel to reduce the plane's weight and returned to SFO at 12:45 a.m., authorities said. Airport fire trucks surrounded the plane as it arrived.

No one was injured, and the passengers were "put up in hotels for the night," said SFO duty manager Chris Davison.

The cause of the engine failure will be investigated by Australian aviation safety officials, and any findings will be reviewed by the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board.

Records show that the plane was delivered to Qantas in 1992.

Boeing 747s have four engines and "are designed to actually lose three of four engines and still be able to get back," said pilot and aviation consultant John Nance.

Engines can fail if a foreign object such as a bird is pulled in, or if a part such as a blade comes apart.

Failures are often contained within the engine, but what happened on the Qantas jet is known as an uncontained engine failure because a piece of the engine pierced the cowling at high speed, Nance said.

This kind of failure is "an extremely rare event," he said.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0yF8cIhIA
Photo

No prob with the safe return to airport. Of particular interest of those of you who like looking at wierd and wonderful things from the world of aviation apparently todays (1/9/10) flight of scheduled QF73/01Sep (rego OJQ) to SFO with have a 5th engine on it's wings as a replacement. Yes a 5th engine! Quite common way to ferry an engine (dead or alive) onboard the 747. Sits inboard of the number 2 engine (hence no reverse use on no.2 on landing). To my knowledge there is a sizeable drag/fuel burn penalty plus i expect some trim issues but i will leave that to the more knowledgeable on the 744 to answer (perhaps ltd?). Look a bit like this:

EDIT: This link shows the flights track on flightaware. Nice bit of holding there with a couple of loops out to sea with a pretty lazy route back to the airport.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/QFA74

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....

Last edited by Swordsman88; 01-09-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #244
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the good old days they used to put a fairing over the intake of the spare engine.
Im guessing with the engine windmilling that the fairing was just as draggy as an exposed engine.

Also commongly used on the DC-10...

On a sadder note though:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...01/2998822.htm

Quote:
Australians killed in PNG plane crash

By PNG correspondent Liam Fox

Updated 6 hours 14 minutes ago
The plane crashed after landing at Misima Island, 200km off PNG's south-east tip.

Foreign Minister Stephen Smith has confirmed three Australians were among those killed in a plane crash on a remote island in Papua New Guinea.

Mr Smith says a Cessna Citation jet was carrying three Australians and two New Zealand citizens when it crashed on Misima Island on Tuesday.

Locals say the Trans Air flight overshot the runway in wet and windy weather, crashed into trees and burst into flames killing four of those on board.

Mr Smith says one of the New Zealanders, an Australian permanent resident who is believed to be one of the pilots, survived the accident with only heavy bruising.

Among the dead is a 61-year-old marine pilot from Sydney who was working for the Brisbane-based company Australian Reef Pilots.

The man was due to guide a boat into Australian waters.

Officials from the Australian High Commission left Port Moresby for Misima Island early this morning.

Meanwhile there is a heavy security presence outside Trans Air, with at least 10 guards are patrolling its entrance at Jacksons airport near Port Moresby.

Trans Air PNG is an offshoot of the company that was involved in the Lockhart River air crash that killed 15 people in far north Queensland in 2005.

Trans Air PNG operates in Australia on a foreign aircraft operators certificate.

Last year the Civil Aviation Safety Authority refused the company permission to fly in Australia, but that decision was overturned on appeal.

The company operates charter and medivac flights in Australia.

This is the third fatal plane crash in Papua New Guinea in just over 12 months.

Six people died in light plane crash in January. Nine Australians were among 13 killed when a plane crashed into a mountain near Kokoda in August last year.

The plane was reported as a Citation (though I dont know which model).
Either way, unless Missima has been upgraded (I flew to Missima about 50times in the late 1990s) and made longer, it would be awfully short to support a small Citation.

It was barely long enough for a fully loaded Kingair.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 03:12 PM   #245
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

The plane was reported as a Citation (though I dont know which model).
Either way, unless Missima has been upgraded (I flew to Missima about 50times in the late 1990s) and made longer, it would be awfully short to support a small Citation.

It was barely long enough for a fully loaded Kingair.
My info says its unpaved at 3900 or 4100ft depending on who you talk to. Either way not alot for a citation given its unpaved and it was wet. Landing in mud is not going to give best traction frankly. That Citation didn't have reversers i assume so if you can't get purchase with the tyres under braking you're buggered.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 01-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #246
sleeper393

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewg6e
heres some pics i took the other day before work, cbf taking the camer on ramp to get some better shots... need a bigger lens, these are too far out

melbourne airport if you didnt know that

WHERE IS THAT SPOT ,over diggers rest side ?
123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #247
MexicanBatman
Banned

Yeah I think so, past the turn off to diggers.
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #248
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was ltd flying that 744?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #249
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I took some pics at Jandakot today and the other day. 1st pic is of a helicopter on it's side. Clipped the hangar I beleive. I wanted to get closer but way too many news crews at the other end of the viewing area so stayed at my end. Last few pics are of a plane I have no idea about and the the WA Police and RFDS I believe both are a Pilatus PC-12 and a Qantas 717 that flew over the house.

Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #250
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

RTV Power
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #251
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome paint job on the Tornado
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #252
rijruna

interesting comments from the control tower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWtdt...eature=related
rijruna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #253
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Hers some from Cad4 & Mack Loop:
(or how's your pan, Mr. Peut?)

RTV Power
Old 03-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #254
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great pics there, reminds me of when I lived in Scotland & the north of England and these sights were a daily occurrence, Jaguars, Harriers and lots of Tornado's all unbelievably low.

I remember walking in the Cheviot Hills & the Tornado's would come screaming past but they would actually be below you, amazing sight
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #255
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I haven't got shots of the real one, but here's my 1/18 scale one:

Yeah, yeah, I collect GI Joes... deal with it.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #256
JOSH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

here are a heap of pics of the akranoplan
http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2...an/#more-11522

Blue Power Racing Developments
(03) 93053000
Ray Prescott Auto
(02) 49902488
JOSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #257
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
I haven't got shots of the real one,
But I do....

Riverfire last night, demonstration flights along the river...

If you look closely you can see the pilot waving to the crowd

A cool sillhouette shot...

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #258
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Not quite a plane, well it did fly at an altitude of 20 ft. But takes the prize as the weirdest thing I've ever seen. Heavy lift ground effect vehicle, even fitted with antiship missiles.

The Caspian Sea Monster
http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2...12/ekranoplan/
Hate to be a nit picker but I got a book yesterday on the history of flight. Has a half a chapter dedicated to the erkoplans. Turns out this is the smaller of 2 craft (the Dove). The "Caspian Sea Monster" had 10 engines and was lost at sea. Insane what they pumped out during the Cold war.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #259
BAWITHLOT
XB COUPE TOO!

This is the first time I have seen this thread! I have over 20 years of plane pictures that are very limited edition. Here's one for Mirage & 707 fans!
BAWITHLOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #260
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAWITHLOT
This is the first time I have seen this thread! I have over 20 years of plane pictures that are very limited edition. Here's one for Mirage & 707 fans!
Well get cracking!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 01:08 AM   #261
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Cool Blackhawk pics, Peuty.
I was thinking of repainting my model in Aussie Army colours, but my daughter plays with it.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #262
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Had some new arrivals turn up today.

TAA A300

Ansett - ANA DC-9

Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 01:02 AM   #263
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

The new models look great ED. Especially the Ansett-ANA DC9. Gotta love the diesel!! Whenever i see a qantaslink (ok national jet run them but whatever) 717 (quite alot if you fly into cairns or perth etc.) i'm always reminded of what it really is...a modernised DC-9. I flew one for a while in the sim and they are really a pure aircraft and while it takes a bit of time to get used to sitting on the ground (they have stupidly short gear legs) its great to fly a plane with a clean wing.

The qantaslink birds have the uprated RR engines too with quite a bit of poke. They always look like rocketships taking off. This shot illustrates what i mean.... here is one picking up her legs and rocketing out of YBCS....go Space Shuttle go!!!

Note my fav. aircraft in the background....oh well that one is an ex-BA with the RR engines and the GEs are better but it will do. The cairns terminal doesn't look like that anymore niether...all new and shiny and for better or worse no more palm trees. Kinda like it the old way now i see it in this shot....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 08-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #264
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Some more Mack Loop & Cad 4:

RTV Power
Old 08-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #265
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
The new models look great ED. Especially the Ansett-ANA DC9. Gotta love the diesel!! Whenever i see a qantaslink (ok national jet run them but whatever) 717 (quite alot if you fly into cairns or perth etc.) i'm always reminded of what it really is...a modernised DC-9. I flew one for a while in the sim and they are really a pure aircraft and while it takes a bit of time to get used to sitting on the ground (they have stupidly short gear legs) its great to fly a plane with a clean wing.

The qantaslink birds have the uprated RR engines too with quite a bit of poke. They always look like rocketships taking off. This shot illustrates what i mean.... here is one picking up her legs and rocketing out of YBCS....go Space Shuttle go!!!
I get to fly on the 717's a fair bit and quite like them. The rate of climb feels like 5000-7000fpm sometimes at take-off. Damn rocket ships! They're quieter at cruise than the 737 as well. No IFE is the only drawback. Oh, and the gentle rocking from side to side is noticeable with AP on. Must be something to do with the auto wing levelling system.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #266
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

found this interesting. 360 degree view of a380 cockpit. use mouse to look around,zoom in/out etc.
http://www.gillesvidal.com/blogpano/cockpit1.htm
Old 12-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #267
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickxr8
found this interesting. 360 degree view of a380 cockpit. use mouse to look around,zoom in/out etc.
Wow! Thanks for that! All those buttons, switches etc. are confuzzing! lol
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #268
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickxr8
that is one hell of allot of buttons to worry about

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #269
Dr. Feelgood
Classy Redneck

Dad was in the AirForce for 25-years, so I grew up on the Bases along the East coast, so naturally I've got a soft spot for planes... just not Australian ones!! When the Marines used to come of for training and bring some of their aircraft, that's when things got awesome.

Not a very good pic, but I have my 4 favourites in scaled form sitting on my desk at work, along with many other things :P

From Left to Right:
- F-14 TomCat 'Jolly Roger' (Century Wings, 1/1500)
- A-10 Warthog (HobbyMaster)
- SR-71 Blackbird Trainer (Century Wings, 1/1500)
- Harrier GR7 (HobbyMaster)

All are 1:72 scale.

Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #270
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

More Mack Loop & Cad4:

RTV Power