Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #211
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavers
Hmm, well no 767's for Virgin Blue. Seems they're going the A332 route for domestic flying

http://australianaviation.com.au/a33...-expectations/
Fine by me. Sure the a330 is bigger but you think they could have got some cheap 764 maybe or 763s leased on the market. Must have gone for the a330 due to greater passenger payload and competitive leasing.

Will be interestig because they have no experience with airbus products so would be funny if they get them maintained by qantas..... E170s getting canned isn't that surprising given they didnt have many and they were only for really thing routes anyway where there is little money competing against contracted qflink q400s.... Looks like they will cascade them all down....e190s on e170 route (those that dont' get canned), 737-700 on e190 routes and so on.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #212
sleeper393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
Some Mirage action, starting with a RAAF Mirage:

i used to remember the mirage's out at richmond airbase in the late 70's early 80's, they used to scare the crap outta me with the low level fly overs.
123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #213
MexicanBatman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavers
Hmm, well no 767's for Virgin Blue. Seems they're going the A332 route for domestic flying

http://australianaviation.com.au/a33...-expectations/

I'd like to see where they are going to put it, they only have 1 gate they can use in Mel for it, and no engineering or people and equipment to turn it around, so I take it John holland will do the engineering and another contractor will load it..

Interesting to see their earnings were less than jetstar for the previous financial year, despite a considerable amount more flights
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #214
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 01:59 AM   #215
Fled74
The Thread Killa

My second favourite aircraft, the A-10.

I've loved it ever since I played the old Dynamix flight sim game "A-10 Tank Killer", back in the days when a 486 PC with a VGA monitor, sound card and CD-Rom was considered the absolute pinnacle of home computing.
Box shot:

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #216
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I love the mentality behind the A10 - find the biggest gun possible and strap a set of wings and a coupla engines to it.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #217
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
I love the mentality behind the A10 - find the biggest gun possible and strap a set of wings and a coupla engines to it.

And if the biggest gun doesn't work the 10T of bombs will.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #218
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
My second favourite aircraft, the A-10.
The A10 Thunderbolt II is the grandson of the mighty P47 Thunderbolt from WW2, my favourite piston engine plane.
Old 28-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #219
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Air China 747-400

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #220
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Nice. I gather you have clearance to get that close? I will be taking some shots from Jandakot next week. My hope is the Singapore Flying Schools learjet is there and I also hope to capture RFDS landing or taking off. Unfortunitely I do not think you can get anywhere close at perth airport. So it looks like I will be taking pictures of Cessnas.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #221
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Default Birdstrike

Old 28-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #222
eed-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
Nice. I gather you have clearance to get that close? I will be taking some shots from Jandakot next week. My hope is the Singapore Flying Schools learjet is there and I also hope to capture RFDS landing or taking off. Unfortunitely I do not think you can get anywhere close at perth airport. So it looks like I will be taking pictures of Cessnas.
haha yes you can. Take a drive around the domestic side and you will find some good spots if you look hard enough ;)
520rwhp
eed-250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #223
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 'We're about to crash... no we're not'

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/795...sh-no-were-not

Quote:

Terrified passengers flying from London to Hong Kong braced for a possible crash into the sea after a pilot mistakenly played an emergency message, a newspaper reported on Friday.

According to The Sun, the 275 passengers on the British Airways Boeing 747 heard the message: "This is an emergency. We may shortly need to make an emergency landing on water."

The passengers prepared for the worst as they headed over the North Sea, until cabin crew ran down the aisles of the plane to reassure them the message had been played in error, the report said.

One passenger, Michelle Lord, 32, told The Sun: "People were terrified. We all thought we were going to die."

Another traveller said: "I can't think of anything worse than being told your plane's about to crash."

BA, which said the incident took place within the last seven days, explained the message was an automatic one that had been triggered by a computer.

A BA spokesman said: "We would like to apologise to passengers on board the flight for causing them undue distress.

"Our cabin crew immediately made an announcement following the message advising customers that it was played in error and that the flight would continue as normal."

Id be going the airline big time

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #224
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
And that is the problem with society.

No one was hurt but everyone wants "compensation" for their "stress". It was played by mistake and then IMMEDIATELY rescinded.

It was an automatic message triggered by a computer glitch, gees that never happens MUCH.

The nett result of these legal claims.

1) A few people will scam a bit of money, most of whom will blow it on rubbish.
2) The price of insurance will go up on ALL aircraft and therefore the price of air tickets which means that WE all pay.
3) Even MORE stupid restrictive bureaucratic insanity on aviation causing grief for air travelers.

I am suffering stress over the federal election, how much do I sue for?
Someone on TV told me that "insert idiot here" will be running the country for 3 years when it was not true.

I want compensation.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #225
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
And that is the problem with society.

No one was hurt but everyone wants "compensation" for their "stress". It was played by mistake and then IMMEDIATELY rescinded.

It was an automatic message triggered by a computer glitch, gees that never happens MUCH.

The nett result of these legal claims.

1) A few people will scam a bit of money, most of whom will blow it on rubbish.
2) The price of insurance will go up on ALL aircraft and therefore the price of air tickets which means that WE all pay.
3) Even MORE stupid restrictive bureaucratic insanity on aviation causing grief for air travelers.

I am suffering stress over the federal election, how much do I sue for?
Someone on TV told me that "insert idiot here" will be running the country for 3 years when it was not true.

I want compensation.
Hallelujah , with you 1,000,000 % on this .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #226
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep I agree. Its people like that who won't take responsibility for there own actions, or just won't let a little mistake go that are ruining this country and the rest of the western world. Yes it would have been a stressful couple of minutes, but who cares the flight continued as planed, no one was hurt or injured, just grow up and get on with your life.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #227
MexicanBatman
Banned

heres some pics i took the other day before work, cbf taking the camer on ramp to get some better shots... need a bigger lens, these are too far out

melbourne airport if you didnt know that

Old 29-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #228
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hords

Wow.

We know what happened to the bird, but what about the plane and pilot?
Hope the guy is OK.

EDIT: Found the video clip: Bird strike

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Old 29-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #229
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Air China 747-400

Must have been taken before delivery as the wheels are below the fuse......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #230
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewg6e
heres some pics i took the other day before work, cbf taking the camer on ramp to get some better shots... need a bigger lens, these are too far out

That's such a great perspective on how they take off/ land!! Great shots!!!
Old 29-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #231
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Aviation with Vehicle:

Twin Radial:

Twin Stangs:

RTV Power
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 30-08-2010, 02:23 AM   #232
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:

There's the old girl.....looking majestic and overpowered as usual. Atcually looks like it took a bit longer than usual to get off the ground out of melb if that was a cityflyer to me....either a very heavy freight load or they derated a fair bit to save engine wear/gas.

Then again i think that is the cross runway in melb (27??) if memory serves me right and at a bit short of 8thousand feet it does make the takeoffs look a bit 'longer' than they really are.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 30-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #233
EBII Ghia

QF 767 VH-OGP just made an emergency landing at Adelaide. They performed a number of low passes than eventually landed without event. Landing gear indication problem allegedly, nose gear in particular, Im led to believe. They did do an emergency gear drop as evidenced by the MLG doors open on landing.
EBII Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #234
MexicanBatman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Ghia
QF 767 VH-OGP just made an emergency landing at Adelaide. They performed a number of low passes than eventually landed without event. Landing gear indication problem allegedly, nose gear in particular, Im led to believe. They did do an emergency gear drop as evidenced by the MLG doors open on landing.
The stuff you hear that not in the media is crazy, I could mention a few things that have happened but wasn't in the papers, but that probably against company policy..

Still a very safe form of transport, shame it's as un comfortable as he'll for well built blokes like me....

14hrs in the back of an etihad a340 and I was hoping for an emergency landing or crash or anything, and that was only 2/3 of the trip.... Ahhhhhh

But business class on the way back made it all better, I'm still hanging to get in the jump seat for a domestic flight, but recently policy changed so I'll have to get my manager to make it a work related trip.. I don't know what they really do when tea is being served... But from what I see probably compare iPhone apps ;) lol
Old 30-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #235
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Ah, good old OGP. I've been on board that girl once before. Landing gear indication issues do happen from time to time but if it was a 'gear disagree' indication (i.e. one of the gear may not be in the comanded position) you first try recycling it and then do an alternate lower which will give you the flapping gear door syndrome (which also indicates in teh cockpit as a door disagree).

767s don't go into adelaide much any more (if at all) so unlikely its a regular service with a problem lowering the gear more likey a hydraulic system failure while in cruise on a perth-eas coast run then diverted into adelaide. i think its hydraulic system (one of three but one of the main two left or right) then they diverted and had to lower the gear via alternate lowering due to the hydraulic problem. This is all based on my experiences in the simulator so can't say for sure....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 30-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #236
EBII Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
767s don't go into adelaide much any more (if at all) so unlikely its a regular service.
QF fly several 767s (more than 2 at least, I reckon some days have more than others) a day thru ADL.

Last edited by EBII Ghia; 30-08-2010 at 10:30 PM.
EBII Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #237
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

RTV Power
Old 30-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #238
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
QF fly several 767s (more than 2 at least, I reckon some days have more than others) a day thru ADL.
Checked on this mate and you are correct. It has always been a case of aircraft subbed on routes if it got busy but generally not much into adelaide for the 767. Seems that with more spare frames these days qantas is willing to put it on a semi-regular schedule. Based on what i have it is regular sydney flight in the evening and they have subbed a 763 for a 738 on darwin-adl recently but longer term still has 738 doing the job. Have to do some virtual airline flights into adelaide now i know they are back on. Are there any from melb and/or perth?? There was one flight that used to do melb-adl-perth return at one point i have done that one before. Looks like the preloaded flight plans exist for darwin-adl too in my 767 navdata so worth a try....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 30-08-2010, 11:24 PM   #239
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Fine by me. Sure the a330 is bigger but you think they could have got some cheap 764 maybe or 763s leased on the market. Must have gone for the a330 due to greater passenger payload and competitive leasing.

Will be interestig because they have no experience with airbus products so would be funny if they get them maintained by qantas..... E170s getting canned isn't that surprising given they didnt have many and they were only for really thing routes anyway where there is little money competing against contracted qflink q400s.... Looks like they will cascade them all down....e190s on e170 route (those that dont' get canned), 737-700 on e190 routes and so on.
It will be a shame if VB get's rid of the E170/190's, they're more comfortable than those Dash 8's Qantas use. Having been on both Dash 8's and E190's the E190 wins hands down. If VB does get rid of the E170/190's on the Perth - Port Hedland route I hope they use the A330 instead I swear I've become a hater of the 737's - noisy, cramped and uncomfortable.
Old 31-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #240
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Still a very safe form of transport, shame it's as un comfortable as he'll for well built blokes like me....

14hrs in the back of an etihad a340 and I was hoping for an emergency landing or crash or anything, and that was only 2/3 of the trip.... Ahhhhhh
True, I've spent 12 hours in cattle class and it was a soul-destroying experience.