Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #121
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

ARDU F111 with the AGM142 Popeye during qualifications:

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #122
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Just to shy away from the seemingly military theme in the topic. Check out this video taken from the cockpit of a 747. I have never seen anything like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl6iR7w7a_Q&hd=1

Also in other new a plane crash last night.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225906176909

A BOEING 737 crash-landed overnight on a Colombian resort island during a lightning storm, scattering passengers across the runway as it split in three, but somehow only one passenger died.

It is a miracle no one died except the old lady and even that was a heart attack.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #123
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
ARDU F111 with the AGM142 Popeye during qualifications:

What are they going to bolt this bad boy to when the F111's bite the dust?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #124
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
What are they going to bolt this bad boy to when the F111's bite the dust?
The F/A-18E/F Super Hornets that are being procured to replace the F-111.

They are also compatible with the P3 Orion. I don't think the aircraft has received qualifications to use the ordnance in RAAF service however.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 17-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #125
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

And the one up a bit taken from the top of the yacht? What are we looking at there Simon?
I am also wondering about that one

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #126
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Some propeller driven stuff:

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #127
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

RTV Power
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 17-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #128
Mad Maxine

The mast-top photo looks like a bird's eye view of one of the many sunken WW2 aircraft that are dotted around the globe... there are a few up Papua New Guinea way and some off the coast of Darwin, I understand.

Shazz

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #129
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Good call Maxine, I didn't think of that.

Cheers,

Oo\===/oO
Old 17-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #130
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The F/A-18E/F Super Hornets that are being procured to replace the F-111.

They are also compatible with the P3 Orion. I don't think the aircraft has received qualifications to use the ordnance in RAAF service however.
As far as i know the Popeye wont be intergrated with the Super Hornet.
And it certainly wont go on the P3 Orion.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #131
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout

I love the old prop-driven warbirds. I built a 1/48 scale model of this exact P-51D Mustang several years ago.
Awesome photos, thank you.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #132
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Yeah that was my thought...I wouldn;t see them doing all the work to get it integrated for a stop gap aircraft.

Will a few of these even fit in the weapons bay of an F35?

Oo\===/oO
Old 18-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #133
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Maxine
The mast-top photo looks like a bird's eye view of one of the many sunken WW2 aircraft that are dotted around the globe... there are a few up Papua New Guinea way and some off the coast of Darwin, I understand.

Shazz
Quote:
Good call Maxine, I didn't think of that.

Cheers,
Maybe from around Truk.

The one with the top portion exposed is in the Florida Keys, a drug dealers plane.

RTV Power
Old 18-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #134
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink

Is it possible to get a photo of that A380 as it comes into view? There was a photo around of a military aircraft breaking the sound barrier (or something similar) a few years ago. That looked trick as well. That is one amazing video, well done to the guy that shot the video!!! If you guys could reveal what sort of camera you use for your shots, it would be helpful as well. I may have to update the Box Brownie.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #135
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Quote:
Yeah that was my thought...I wouldn;t see them doing all the work to get it integrated for a stop gap aircraft.

Will a few of these even fit in the weapons bay of an F35?
In the absence of any information to the contrary, it must be assumed that the Super Hornet will receive the software updates to accommodate the AGM-142, otherwise the ordnance purchase would be a complete waste of money and leave the RAAF without the stand-off strike capacity it has always wanted. The Super Hornets are going to be here for up to 10 years before the full JSF complement is here AND operational so leaving such a large capability gap for such a long period is simply out of the question. The only caveat to all this is that the Popeye may be replaced with the AGM-154 JSOW, which the Super Hornet has been optimised to use (and vice versa). Australia has committed to purchase the JSOW. We've also committed to an EW variant of the Super Hornet, which is interesting.

As I recall, I didn't say the Popeye was going to be fitted to the P3 fleet, quite the opposite, and I doubt very much the F-35 will be able to accommodate the Popeye in its internal weapons bay due to the physical size of it. Perhaps on underwing pylons but it's still a rather large missile for that aircraft.

If I had my way, I'd be splashing the cash on a true 3-tier force for the RAAF and it wouldn't involve aircraft like the Super Hornet or the F-35...

Oh and:

Seems like those dirty commies have made their own F22. This Sukhoi made its maiden flight this year.

Last edited by Road_Warrior; 18-08-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 18-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #136
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
In the absence of any information to the contrary, it must be assumed that the Super Hornet will receive the software updates to accommodate the AGM-142, otherwise the ordnance purchase would be a complete waste of money and leave the RAAF without the stand-off strike capacity it has always wanted. The Super Hornets are going to be here for up to 10 years before the full JSF complement is here AND operational so leaving such a large capability gap for such a long period is simply out of the question. The only caveat to all this is that the Popeye may be replaced with the AGM-154 JSOW, which the Super Hornet has been optimised to use (and vice versa). Australia has committed to purchase the JSOW. We've also committed to an EW variant of the Super Hornet, which is interesting.

As I recall, I didn't say the Popeye was going to be fitted to the P3 fleet, quite the opposite, and I doubt very much the F-35 will be able to accommodate the Popeye in its internal weapons bay due to the physical size of it. Perhaps on underwing pylons but it's still a rather large missile for that aircraft.

If I had my way, I'd be splashing the cash on a true 3-tier force for the RAAF and it wouldn't involve aircraft like the Super Hornet or the F-35...
Hmmm there you go. What will they do with their Have Nap's when/if they go for the JSOW's?

What would your choice of aircraft be? As we can't have the F22's, mine involves Strike Eagles....

Oo\===/oO
Old 18-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #137
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

RTV Power
Old 18-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #138
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Here's another picture of that rather concerning Sukhoi, designated PAK-FA:

Quote:
Hmmm there you go. What will they do with their Have Nap's when/if they go for the JSOW's?

What would your choice of aircraft be? As we can't have the F22's, mine involves Strike Eagles....
Dunno how many they bought in the first place mate. They may send them back or retain them for use. However as I understand it the JSOW has a longer range and is a smaller weapon - can't seem to find details on its warhead capacity though.

Have you seen details on the F-15 Silent Eagle? If it were up to me, we would have 2 squadrons of remanufactured A-10's for CAS, maritime patrol and generally just doing what A-10's are good for, we would have the existing Hornet squadrons replaced with Eurofighters on a 1-for-1 basis, and if there was some way shape or form we could get our hands on 2 squadrons of F-22 Raptors as the 'silver bullet' of the RAAF, that would be just super.

Old 18-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #139
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Do you think a couple of these would be of value as well:

RTV Power
Old 18-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #140
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Hell yeah.

Old 18-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #141
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

A few of these with some Blue 82's would be nice as well:

RTV Power
Old 18-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #142
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

Hehe, no atmospheres were harmed during the taking off of this aircraft

Gotta love the JATO packs.

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #143
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

I was Watching MAX on foxtel the other day and got the best of the 80's and in their countdown was this Gem of a video clip. It's Called Dreams by Van Halen and is a tribute to the 40th anniversary of the blue angels. In this clip they are flying A4 Skyhawks. it would have been a real culture shock to go from an F-4 phantom to a tiny little skyhawk

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/200325/760975

Also found this gem. this was shot at RAAF Williamtown in 1979, it was a race between a then Brand new Lamborghini Contach and a Mirage. I have the magazine article, just gotta fire up the scanner some time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71b5d72cp7w

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.

Last edited by xbrules; 18-08-2010 at 11:43 PM.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 12:03 AM   #144
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrules
Also found this gem. this was shot at RAAF Williamtown in 1979, it was a race between a then Brand new Lamborghini Contach and a Mirage. I have the magazine article, just gotta fire up the scanner some time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71b5d72cp7w
I dunno what's cooler about that vid, the fact that it was a race conducted between a jet fighter and a supercar on an Aussie airbase, or the fact that there are loads of old Fords driving around the base!

Old 19-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #145
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Mack Loop:

RTV Power
Old 19-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #146
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
Whats the tiger painted plane?
Jaguar GR 1
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #147
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrules
Hehe, no atmospheres were harmed during the taking off of this aircraft

Gotta love the JATO packs.
RATO's m8
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #148
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

RTV Power
Old 19-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #149
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Nope there is no plans or money to intergrate the Popeye with the SuperBug,
JSOW perhaps as its on the current classic series of Hornets.

The F-35 weapons bays are very small, however I believe that JSOW will fit.
2 internal bombs and 2 internal AMRAAMs is the "standard" fit.

Fitting any weapons under the wings will increase its RCS and therefor a waste of its so-called "stealthiness". In any case the aircraft is over budget, well behind schedule (some 2yrs), twice as noisy an F-15 on take-off and not suited to Australian conditions. (not to mention the way it was decided we would buy them shouldve sent many people to jail, but thats another story)

Quote:
Have you seen details on the F-15 Silent Eagle? If it were up to me, we would have 2 squadrons of remanufactured A-10's for CAS, maritime patrol and generally just doing what A-10's are good for, we would have the existing Hornet squadrons replaced with Eurofighters on a 1-for-1 basis, and if there was some way shape or form we could get our hands on 2 squadrons of F-22 Raptors as the 'silver bullet' of the RAAF, that would be just super.
Yesterday 08:56 PM
The A-10 is not suited to maritime patrol, no radar for starters and has no weapons intergrated to suit maritime targets. Its a tank buster and something we dont need. Who is gonna invade us with heavy armour?

The Super Hornet is not as bad is everyone makes out and is in fact quite well suited for us (even if we dont have a carrier). I wouldnt say no to Typhoons either. F-22? Hmmm no way the yanks would sell them to us and no way we could afford it!

As for the PAK-FA from Sukhoi... Its an impressive (prototype ) fighter. Would be interesting to see how it matures.

Note the use of LEVCONs (the big leading edge flaps on top of the engine ducts)

Two very large internal weapons bays can be seen here between the engines.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2010, 04:38 AM   #150
yanknbank
Very regular

....the most successful fighter aircraft in history.