Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 15-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default $25000 to spend on a used mondeo

G'day, so i have to decided that i want to buy the MRS a mondeo for her next car. I have looked at the xr5 turbo and also the diesel.

I'll keep it simple, basically im just after opinions on what would be the best model to get for $25000? we will do a mix of city and country driving, Canberra to Melbourne etc

fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: $25000 to spend on a used mondeo

No one with any advice?
Old 16-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi mate, sometimes these threads turn into things they were not meant to be.

However, for your $25,000 you could buy a MB XR5 Turbo. Nice car.
Maybe even a petrol 2.3L MB Titanium. Once again nice car, but probably no real world performance. Maybe a stretch to get a TDCi MB Titanium for that price.
Are you after luxuries or just after a car for the money?
Do you value low Kms in a car / in warranty etc.

Best to just check carsales...

To let you know, I purchased an ex-Ford MC 2011 Mondeo Zetec EcoBoost with just under 7,000kms for the price you are talking about.

XR5 Turbo - manual only.
2.3L Petrol - too slow.
2.0TDCi - pre Powershift not for me.

So EcoBoost for the win!!!

Good luck with the purchase though...
Old 16-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
JimStone

The decsion tree I used -

Do you want a steady rush of power?

Yes
Do you like the sound a steam train makes?

Yes
Buy a TDCi

No
Do you need Automatic?

Yes
Buy Ecoboost

No
Buy XR5

Worked well for me - 2011 MC Modeo Zetec Ecoboost Powershift Hatch in Dark Mica Stone

As an aside-
Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126
2011 (MC) Ford Mondeo Zetec EcoBoost (Lunar Sky)...more power please! (Bluefin coming soon) GOT IT!!!

details???
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I value low km's and very clean examples and I like luxurys, leather seats etc. I'm extremely fussy and it usually takes me a few months to find cars in the condition I want.

So it looks to me like
MB xr5 turbo
MB TDCI

I'm not overly concerned about fuel consumption at all. I want a nice car that has the luxurys and good power to overtake on highways.
Old 23-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
dan76n

You should be able to easily pick up an MB Titanium TDCI for under 25k if your willing to shop around.
We picked up a 2009 MB for 21k with 60,000km on it and the car is in great condition apart from some gutter rash and a scratch on the radio fascia plate but I took these into consideration and am able to have all 4 rims re done for $800 and the fascia plate replaced from ford for $400. So that works out as $22,200.
As the car was still in warranty by a week we were also able to take on the genuine ford extended warranty which gives you an extra 3 years warranty plus up to 200,000km for $1900.
So in our case we out laid just under 25k including stamp duty for a 2009 MB TDCI Titanium in great condition with 60,000km and 3 years full ford factory warranty.
I also recall two others that were listed in VIC on car sales with a few less Km's that were under 25k so it is possible.
Just don't be put off by the ones listed upwards of 25k as most have been listed for quite a while now as I was watching them all. Some eventually get their price reduced but some owners are just not willing to sell a 3 year old car for 25k when they paid 46k for it which would be tough and is why I won't buy a brand new car.
I also found that the guy who owned ours had a novated lease on it and the buyout figure was just over 19k so you may be able to find one at the end of its lease where the owner wants to make a few quick bucks by buying it out and selling.
Hope this is of some help.
dan76n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Dan has the right idea. Get to know someone with one on lease. There is bound to be a member here like that.

I was. I sold my MA to my sister in law for just over $13k. Was Oct 07 build, could put another option on it. Had done 65,000 kms, great car. I had a MC Titanium TDCI wagon on order, but when I saw it and we discovered we were having twins, we got the Territory. Would have been very happy with the MC.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

MB XR5 is the go... Providing she can drive manual... My MRS had one and it was great!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Thanks for the replies fellas, so now its getting serious and i have looked around at quite a few in dealers and driven a few as well. I am set on the diesel, it has enough power to work well overtaking on the highway and if im honest with myself i should get the MRS an auto as she hates manual. XR5 turbo was the only other choice i was considering..

The only issue now is deciding on an MB titanium TDCI or a 2011 MC TDCI?

Is the titanium worth the extra money for those that have them, or would i be better off getting the newer car with the better engine? I'm comparing it to a falcon vs fairmont, i think the MB might hold its value a little better as well because it has already taken such a hit?
Old 24-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post

The only issue now is deciding on an MB titanium TDCI or a 2011 MC TDCI?
If the MB has the 6 speed Asian Warner as oppose to the MC PowerShift I would have the AW proven auto any time, in my view to me the PowerShift is much more expensive to maintain and repair IF you do get problems but its a subjective thing that you need to decide on I have driven both and find the AW much smoother in operation JMHO good luck

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
dan76n

We chose the Titanium after driving an LX and although the LX was nice we just liked the extras the Titanium has. Mind you we could of lived with an LX as its still a great car.
Do a comparison on redbook of the two models and that will show you exactly what is different.
My recollection is that the 2011 engine has better fuel economy and power.
The Titanium has the following features I recall that the LX doesn't.
Leather heated seats: they have the soft suede on the backrest and bum area so it doesn't stick to you or burn you on a hot day. Heating works well but won't be used from us too often as we live in QLD
18 inch alloy wheels: depends if you like mag wheels and the replacement cost of 18 inch tyres.
sunroof: something the wife likes so its not too much of a mum car for her.
climate control: alway better than standard air conditioning.
adaptive cruise control: I love this but it suits my driving environment, it could be a pain in athe *** to some.
keyless ignition: this is something my wife loves as when she arrives at the car she doesn't need to find the keys in her bag to open the doors or boot.
Premium sound system: didn't listen to the LX so not sure how much difference there is.
Electric drivers seat: not that great as it doesn't have full control and there is no memory feature for multiple drivers like my Fairmont Ghia.
Front and rear parking sensors.
Cornering headlights. This works quite effectively.
Sports suspension. It's a firmer ride than the LX which can be a personal thing.
The titanium will hold its value better long term as its already lost 20k+ in 3 years and its one hell of a car for under 25k with only 3 years age on it.

Good luck with it all and let us know what you end up getting.
dan76n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Just note that the TDCI has alot of lag... it can get you off guard at times.

I would go for a new Zetec with the Ecoboost... Its well appointed and the ecoboost is far better then the diesel for overtaking etc.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I got to drive an Ecoboost Mondeo recently ... and what a cracker of an engine in that package it is ... and economy-wise .... it's a great alterantive to the diesel as well.

TDCI is a decent engine though .... don't get me wrong ... but the EB is surprisingly VERY GOOD.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

We have a Ecoboost and the way the engine produces consistant torque from low in the rev range till up high makes it feel like a diesel, but without the "wack" then decline of the oiler.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
mas89

i picked up used our zetec ecoboost for around that price about 4 months ago and after a couple big trips and the daily drive the only fault i can find is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well i'm still trying to find it.
i have not had not much to do with diesels so can not compare.
Old 28-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #16
whitetdci

I have an MA TDCi and as stated in previous threads have done some mods to it that has improved its responsiveness and economy incredibly. You can do these as well to the MB. The turbo spools up quicker and power and torque levels are increased markedly over standard. Economy is remarkable now too with my best figures over a 500km trip of 4.6L/100KM or 61 mpg. The MC Titanium Diesel would be fantastic. They have done work on the mapping on it to bring it up to where I have my MA now. The economy would be pretty good. Great highway tourer and at the price of premium ULP which is what you would want to run in the EB you would be paying a whole heap less. Mind you the EB is still a very good car.
whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #17
Canyonero
Wow, this is roomy!

I have a MC Zetec EcoBoost that I bought new in September. I'm very happy with it and I don't miss the few extra features the that the Titanium has. Your certainly won't be complaining about the performance or economy. Seeing as Ford is still advertising them at $34K drive away, I reckon you could get a 2011 EcoBoost for your price with plenty of warranty left, maybe even a newer demo model.

MINE: Escape ZG Trend 2.0L EcoBoost AWD, Magnetic with Technology Pack, Power Tailgate and Keyless Entry

SWMBO: "The Canyonero" Territory SY TS AWD, 7 seats, Mercury Silver (Now gone to a new home, Feb 2024)
Canyonero is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post