Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 09-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
deemo
Starter Motor

Unhappy 08 mondeo "imobillizer active"

Hi i hope someone can help with my problem, it's a storage one

The car was parked overnight and didn't show any signs of trouble prior to now
Tried starting with no luck, all dash goes blank with in dash blinker bits flashing fast and I assume ignition or something else clicking away in the engine bay and nothing happens, alarm doesn't go off even if I unlock it with the key and not remote. By the way you can lock it no prob (remote) unlocking is no go, makes a bit of a sound but remains loaned
Tried with battery disconnect and had another go with no results.
What can I do when it comes to diagnostics, dealer who will take both my arms and a big toe considering it's not under warranty any more
Any recommendations? If there is a mobile mech with a diagnostic tool that you can recommend?
Otherwise itll have to be towed to dealer together with my organs

Any advice is appreciated
Tx

Old 10-02-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
bovva66

Default Re: 08 mondeo "imobillizer active"

Just had similar problem, turned key with little effect after Sat night at friends for dinner. There was a brief power up, then everything went blank. Got RAC out, no luck getting it going, even with new battery. Had to get it towed on Monday morn to my local dealer....after a 4 hour wait for tow truck and issues unlocking gear lever (there is a manual unlock near footwell) finally got it to dealer.
Apparently when battery goes flat the system generates a large number of error messages, which have to cleared from system, before new battery can be connected. This was going to take a number of hours to correct, so had to leave with dealer and pick up next day. All up about $360, including $260 for new battery. According to dealer there is no way to determine when battery is going to die, so he suggested replacing battery every 3 years, as it was obvious to me the Mondeo does not like a sudden loss of power, and I don't want to be without a car for 2 days again, just because of a flat battery.

As I bought used MA 2007 in 2009, had no idea how long battery was in car, but assume was original, so about 3.5 to 4 years of life before battery was dead.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope you're not too far from the nearest dealer...

You could try replacing the battery yourself (not an easy job) but you're probably best to get it towed to a Ford dealer to be safe.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
deemo
Starter Motor

Yeh end result was that battery had gave up, one of the cells.
That's why it was so confusing it shows 12.4v but wouldn't start

Anyway it was a lesson don't keep original ford batteries for longer than 3 yrs
It cost me $245 for an nrma battery and install

Not too bad

Tx cheers
Old 11-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
marcusturbo

This is some damn fine information and just hope that I remember in another year to change the battery. Sounds like it causes a fair bit of grief when the lights go out.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a bit on Talkford.com about this. The batteries seem to fail without warning and sometimes the immobiliser spits the dummy afterwards. What probably doesn't help is that our (Oz and NZ) cars can sit for months before delivery, and I'm sure that the dealers don't hook them up to a trickle charger in the meantime.

So a new battery after 3 years is probably relatively cheap insurance.
Old 13-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
deemo
Starter Motor

It fails with no warning bat also it doesnt give u an indication that it is the battery, voltmeter says "12.4" which should be planty and battery warning light never comes on.
Old 13-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Similar thing happened to my partner back in 2009: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11282776

If you've got an 2008 and are still on the same battery, you've done well, but it should have been replaced and sounds like that one was on the way out.

Remember also that these cars sit in Belgium for a while and then on a boat, so this all adds to the shortening of the battery.

If I still had it, I would be replacing the battery every two - two and a half years.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Scaffy
Rlegaur Mbemer

I also had the same issue after my partner left the lights on one night when she went to dinner with friends. Got back to car and it wouldn't start. I could get it to start with the jump start pack and it would continue running, but it would no longer start on its own. A trip to Battery World and a new battery with 3yrs warranty for much less than Ford were going to slug me. '08 Mondeo, as well.
[YEAH NAH] Red EL XR8 with Trick Flow top end kit, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, tweecer, 3.73s & tired T5 = 275rwhp & 13.155@105mph NA. 12.375@116.73 N2O - Off the road, awaiting 347 293ci and Astro Performance gear-kitted T5 (A5)

White EL Series II XR8, manual, high flow cats, single 3" exhaust and Quarterhorse = 236rwhp and 14.18@97.5mph - E7 heads FTW! - SOLD
Scaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
mpsol
XR5T

I just replaced the original battery in my MA 08 XR5T. The first indication I got that it was on the way out was some random car alarm activations before it finally died.
mpsol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had to replace batteries in my motorbike and the wife's Accord recently. Japanese batteries seem to give you plenty of warning at least.

Deemo - 12.4 is actually a low reading - a fully charged battery should be at least 12.6.