Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 21-11-2009, 01:58 AM   #1
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Default Just picked up an MB Mondeo Titanium!!!

Speechless... I have a trillion things to say but can't put them to paper I'm still so stunned at this car. Simply breathtaking.

To put it into context, I've just come out of an FG XR6 Turbo with 6-spd auto, Luxury Pack and Technology Pack. A true weapon of a car, great fuel economy and utterly mind blowing performance in a straight line. But this Mondeo is so utterly brilliant in comparison, I just can't begin to understand. It honestly feels like I'm driving a $100,000 car. I am not kidding.

Felt like a change was in order so I ordered an MB Mondeo Titanium. Had wanted Diesel, but Petrol was the first available and it was black. The Diesels were only available after christmas and I needed something sooner. I change cars over roughly every 6-9 months depending on km's hence why it may seem like I'm in something new often.

So where do I start......?

Picked it up after a dust storm hit Melbourne on Friday afternoon, while the rain was still falling. Being black, the car was looking more orange given the coating of dust it had been frosted with. No problems, up to the car wash for baby's first bath...

Then I drove to my girlfriend's place to take her family for a spin and show it off. Is there any better feeling than bringing home a new car? (I haven't had kids yet, clearly!!!)

Overall impressions of the car?
WOW!!!

In black it simply looks mint. Can't wait to give it a wash, wax and shine to really make it stand out. LOVE the paint, LOVE the chrome highlights and especially love the blue tinted glass. Very cool.

Keyless entry - never need to take the key out of your pocket ever.
Keyless Start and Keyless lock. Truly the key never leaves your pocket. Awesome!

Ford Power Start button is cool, a bit ****y but still oh so cool!

Steering wheel is leather and meaty to behold. Buttons are tactile and feel really classy. Alloy pedals are cool and standard carpet mats really add a touch of class beyond the standard aluminium Ford sill plates.

Interior finish is beautiful, love the brushed aluminium "titanium look" dash inserts. Touches of chrome on air vents and various spots are tastefully done. The car looks and feels at least double the price. I'm still amazed this is a $42,000 car. How is it possible?!!

Steering is fantastic. Light but communicative, sharp and just begging you to find more corners. The 18's really ride well on the suspension and road noise is very minimal. Conti tyres are brilliant (as always) and the ride and handling package is amazing around the city. Yet to really give it a go in the country or mountains. Compared to my XR6 Turbo it's chalk and cheese. I certainly missed my sharp European chassis with firm Euro suspension and feel strangely more at home in a FWD that doesn't feel like it'll kill me around the next roundabout. Just not used to RWD and never felt I needed it. I've driven FWD, AWD and RWD and honestly, FWD suits me beautifully.

Brakes are sharp and bitey, hard to get used to after the softer feel and heavier effort required in the Falcon - partly due to the insane speeds the Turbo would pull and the weight it was carrying.

the car feels honestly at least 500kg lighter through corners, under braking and off the line compared to my Falcon, although the 2.3 shows its modesty when pressed. Punchy off the line, if maybe a litle too much, but just smooth smooth smooth teamd with a beautiful 6-speed. I'm actually blown way by how happy the 2.3 is in the car. Coming out of the Turbo, I've completely forgotten the 270kw and with less than half the power, I'm not missing it at all just yet. Around town it's fantastic. Sure, it's not exactly a rocket and is twice as slow 0-100km/h but I didn't want it to beat Commodores off lights.

Sunroof is awesome, something I've never had before. Bluetooth works surprisingly well with the iPhone and covers virtually everything - FULL integration with pretty much every feature. Love the phonebook option through the HMI cluster in the dash. Quality is crystal clear and Voice Control is fun.

Sound system seems to have the XR6 turbo's engine inside it powering the 8 speakers. To say it's a massive sound system is calling it short. The Sony 6-CD player punches some amazing bass, enough to rattle the car in a good way!! I could get used to this! Sound system was the XR6T's weakest point IMHO, even with Premium Sound.

Seats are supportive and firm, but supremely comfortable. Driving position is great, still getting used to it though. Love it.

Touches I do love include the Capless refuelling, the Adaptive Cruise Control and I am blown away by the headlights.

At night the auto lighting swivels through corners and really makes a difference. Coupled with the "fog" lights acting as cornering lamps and the visiblity around corners is fantastic. I found myself changing lanes at night just to watch the lighting!

Auto wipers work well and I've read the manual cover to cover, including integrating my Bluetooth phone, integrating my iPod Video 30gb in the glovebox (iPhone's iPod doesn't seem to integrate but will play Bluetooth Audio) and all around just falling in love with this car.

I've already locked in a Frozen White Titanium TDCi for the replacement :

Had it 9 hours now and loved every millisecond.

I'll stop now

Should I go to bed or go for another drive???? :

Old 21-11-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
wusyc

Congratulations on getting your Titanium.
Old 21-11-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Glad to hear your enjoying the mondeo. Good to see you back in a Euro ford Zetec.

Also glad to hear someone else thinks the mondeo is a good handling machine. A little battle sprung out between myself and a few falcon fans about what car was better in the twisties. Having driven both its my belief the mondeo is far better in its chassis, feels very planted.

The titanium is certainly a good kit, makes me think sometimes to change from the XR5 mondeo to a titanium diesel...
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
Glad to hear your enjoying the mondeo. Good to see you back in a Euro ford Zetec.

Also glad to hear someone else thinks the mondeo is a good handling machine. A little battle sprung out between myself and a few falcon fans about what car was better in the twisties. Having driven both its my belief the mondeo is far better in its chassis, feels very planted.

The titanium is certainly a good kit, makes me think sometimes to change from the XR5 mondeo to a titanium diesel...

Thanks guys.

I have to agree I think Mondeo has the edge. Better turn in and the benefit of firmer suspension and sharper steering. It feels lighter too.

Driving the XR6T always felt like a pendulum. I remember it was either over or understeer but always with a big dose of power. It handled INCREDIBLY well the FG, really amazing for its size. I'm yet to give the Mondeo a decent drive but around the city my Mondeo is a revelation.
Old 21-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

I'll look forward to the opportunity to compare it (from the passenger seat) to the beautiful Colorado Red XR5 Turbo we cruised around in in the past.

In your opinion, which would you prefer or is it better??

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quote:

I have both and in the handling stakes, especially around corners, the Mondeo wins.
Old 21-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gees if you are like this for the petrol version hate to see you if you got the diesel version amazing how Ford don't have diesels when a new model is released [station wagon ]IMHO its a ploy to get the petrol versions out first and force people to make a decision "ah well may as well go for the petrol version 2 months is toooo long to wait for a diesel" when the 2.2l turbo diesel Titanium is released then I will oder one but gees zetec it looks stunning well done watch the kerb for those wheels _2:

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Well after spending another 50km in the baby tongiht, I can assure you all my enthusiasm isn't waning one bit. Auto wipers are awesome and even in the wet the handling is out of this world.

The 2.3 has started loosening up and now at 250km is starting to really purr. Was very rich from the first key turn but has improved and economy will improve through a couple of tanks of 98. Actually quite impressed with the 2.3 which REALLY surprises me. It has plenty of low down torque and get up and go, and is both smooth and quiet when not pushed. Yet to rev it out all the way, not too fussed just yet while it's running in.

I wasn't expecting much but the 2.3 is not shabby at all. Can't wait for the TDCi.
Old 26-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #9
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That looks great. At first glance from a distance, you'd think they were the XR5. It's good to see that the styling of the XR5 can be extended into the other cars in the range. Gives you options. Spend a little more and get the XR5, but if you prefer just the looks and the economy of the 2.3, then go with the titanium or better still, go the diesel.

Very nice.

Quote:

+ another here. People can't get past the fact that FWD can actually handle as good if not better than a RWD. Shame that those who shout the loudest are the ones who have never actually tried it for themselves.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Sounds like your happy, but god Id wish they would change those exhaust tips!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 03:07 AM   #11
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Sounds like your happy, but god Id wish they would change those exhaust tips!
At least on the base model they're black and don't stand out!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Does anyone know how to stop the auto climate from automatically defaulting to 22 degrees everytime I turn off the car and start it again?

Each time I'll adjust the vents to face level and the temp to a different setting, select a manual fan speed etc. As soon as I turn the car off, then on the next time, it defaults back to 22 degrees, no selected face/feet outlet and auto fan speed, which is really annoying.

Normally when you manually override the auto climate it should stay at that setting until you press auto again???
Old 10-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #13
RicOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Does anyone know how to stop the auto climate from automatically defaulting to 22 degrees everytime I turn off the car and start it again?
22 is a default for most air cons. So if you like it cooler, don't use Auto. The fan is too powerful too i feel. Definately use the manual override.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #14
WASP
Whipple Induced

My sister purchased of these (Diesel version) and they are a very nice bit of kit indeed. The interior quality really blew me away for the money and when compared to my FG Luxury pack XR6T it was chalk and cheese. Unfortunately our Falcon's are, in comparison to a Mondeo made in such small volumes that they really can't compete when it comes to appointments, fit and finish and some area's of engineering. The one thing I love about our Aussie Falcons however is the bang for buck you get with its size, power and performance offered. The XR6T for the money is an absolute global bargin in that regard.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
DABOSS
BA Black Edition

one's built in europe and the other in Broadmeadows, nuff said.
DABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #16
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicOz
22 is a default for most air cons. So if you like it cooler, don't use Auto. The fan is too powerful too i feel. Definately use the manual override.
Understood, but I change it every time I start the car to say 20 or 19 or whatever suits.

When I next start the car it goes straight back to 22 degrees and fully automatic. I have to change it every single tim I start the car.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:40 AM   #17
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And you have to press Recycle each time a pain otherwise it will be in Fresh Mode and it cannot cope with on a hot day

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #18
wusyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
When I next start the car it goes straight back to 22 degrees and fully automatic. I have to change it every single tim I start the car.
That's strange. My Mondeo starts off where it left off in terms of aircon temperature.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #19
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
And you have to press Recycle each time a pain otherwise it will be in Fresh Mode and it cannot cope with on a hot day

apstar
I believe that's deliberate to keep the cabin air fresher overnight/when parked.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #20
uMP2K
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wusyc
That's strange. My Mondeo starts off where it left off in terms of aircon temperature.
Pretty sure mine starts off where I left it - apart from the recycle.
uMP2K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #21
FordFan1

Congrats Zetec on the purchase.

I've just done the exact same thing, well I've gone from an FG XR6 Turbo to a MB Mondeo XR5. Fantastic car I'm very impressed with it, I've almost knock up a thousand kays and the car has been faultless. Feels like it is worth so much more then the Falcon. Don't get me wrong Falcon is a great car but I had a Standard option one with no leather or anything so it was basic inside.

I do sometimes miss the power of the XR6 Turbo but that can only get you into trouble. On the plus side Mondeo is better in the handling stakes.
FordFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2009, 01:22 AM   #22
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Got it washed this morning, damn it's s exy beast.

Still can't work out why the auto climate defaults to 22 degrees every time I start the car regardless of my actions...... can anyone help?
Old 20-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #23
Rapscallion
Seduce G6ET

Mine starts where I left it. If I were you I'd be having a chat with your friendly Ford service department.
Rapscallion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #24
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Young hot wifie's given up the idea of either a Grand Vitara Prestige (no purple paint any longer, a buying consideration for her, likes 'designer colours etc'), and drove the SP25 sedan (nice drive), but then read a bit about the Mondeo online at Carsguide.

So, took her to our local, settled pretty much on the Titanium but in that purplish dark colour. Like Zetec scribe, loves the technology, safety (1 child) and Euro quality.

Zetec - By now you will have noted the Left and Right Park lights (engine off, indicator UP for RH front and rear parkers, down - for LH front and rear parkers. A German initiated thing.

Naturally, under the SAFETY & SECURITY 'accessory options', the three items you see listed (weblink below) will be on the car (ditto bonnet, headlight covers et al).
http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...YPage&site=FOA

The items have specific stowage points in the boot - those straps!

Her timeframe could be 1 - 5 weeks. Price at local $44K drive away, can offer cash.

Must say she has chosen well and do appreciate your experience and feedback, I'll link her to this thread.

Noted first service at 3,000 thereafter every 15K. Will probably keep to 10K.

Also noted the front (for anti -kerb stuff) and rear parking sensors, and the auto-radar brake function designed to apply the brake if the driver is momentarily distracted and is closing in on Mrs Watson out walking her dog, or another car.

What do we know of the diesel motor and costings, anyone?
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 11-01-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #25
Burnt Toast
Starter Motor

Nice!!
Can't wait to get mine
Burnt Toast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 02:16 AM   #26
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Awesome post Keepleft, thanks for the info. I tested the indicator function and it does indeed work as you described. Remember seeing it all over Europe 10 years ago when I lived in Belgium and worked out pretty quickly that it wasn't just because everyone had faulty wiring in their cars!!! Great safety idea - typically it took Europeans to think of it.

Regarding the diesel motor, I assume you're still deciding between petrol and diesel?

I haven't found the petrol consumption to be overly flash, but honestly the performance is perfectly adequate and it's economical on the highway. It's smooth, quiet and really not bad at all.

Diesel adds a little more noise, dirtier refuelling (albeit helped by capless refuelling) which could be solved by simply having a glove handy in the glovebox but is ultimately superbly exonomical and more driveable with the buckets of torqu thrown in.

Had I a second chance, it would be diesel hands down, but I'm LOVING my petrol Titanium.
Old 14-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #27
MOND30
If You Seek AU

I picked up a Titanium TDCi on Christmas Eve, then drove Adelaide to Canberra via Mildura for Christmas and NYE. Very, very happy with it so far.

It was a demo with 3,800km on it, first reg mid-October. Paid $34k changeover with a trade in that was consistently valued at $9k by all yards. Got the bonnet protector, iPod cable and boot scuff mat thrown in too (which the other half managed to squash in the boot latch the first night...)

On the highway, the trip computer gave a range of 1,000km+ for most of the trip (km on trip meter + distance to empty).

The last tank was Hay to Adelaide then 1.5 weeks of urban running, 915km on 64.85L, giving about 7.1L/100km or pretty much 40mpg. Although as I left the servo, the DTE was only 645! Not sure what consumption average it uses to calculate that...

Loving the little luxuries and features that we just weren't used to in the Sonata that got traded in. The radar cruise is already a personal favourite.

Cheers
Brenton
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 04:31 AM   #28
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Young hot wifie's given up the idea of either a Grand Vitara Prestige (no purple paint any longer, a buying consideration for her, likes 'designer colours etc'), and drove the SP25 sedan (nice drive), but then read a bit about the Mondeo online at Carsguide.

So, took her to our local, settled pretty much on the Titanium but in that purplish dark colour. Like Zetec scribe, loves the technology, safety (1 child) and Euro quality.

Zetec - By now you will have noted the Left and Right Park lights (engine off, indicator UP for RH front and rear parkers, down - for LH front and rear parkers. A German initiated thing.

Naturally, under the SAFETY & SECURITY 'accessory options', the three items you see listed (weblink below) will be on the car (ditto bonnet, headlight covers et al).
http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...YPage&site=FOA

The items have specific stowage points in the boot - those straps!

Her timeframe could be 1 - 5 weeks. Price at local $44K drive away, can offer cash.

Must say she has chosen well and do appreciate your experience and feedback, I'll link her to this thread.

Noted first service at 3,000 thereafter every 15K. Will probably keep to 10K.

Also noted the front (for anti -kerb stuff) and rear parking sensors, and the auto-radar brake function designed to apply the brake if the driver is momentarily distracted and is closing in on Mrs Watson out walking her dog, or another car.

What do we know of the diesel motor and costings, anyone?
IMO the diesel auto is a much better drive that the petrol. For me, it came down to $$$ in the end (petrol demonstrator was $10k less than diesel). But I don't think you can get the Titanium with the diesel engine?

And the petrol needs 95 octane. Ford NZ say 91, but it's not true.

The service interval in Europe is 20,000 kms, so Ford Oz has already reduced this, maybe to match the Falcon or perhaps because it's hotter and dustier in Oz?
Old 15-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #29
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
IMO the diesel auto is a much better drive that the petrol. For me, it came down to $$$ in the end (petrol demonstrator was $10k less than diesel). But I don't think you can get the Titanium with the diesel engine?

And the petrol needs 95 octane. Ford NZ say 91, but it's not true.

The service interval in Europe is 20,000 kms, so Ford Oz has already reduced this, maybe to match the Falcon or perhaps because it's hotter and dustier in Oz?
Titanium comes in diesel spec here.
Here's one.
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...d=125E094E267B
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #30
wusyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
Titanium comes in diesel spec here.
Indeed. I have one and MOND30 has one too.