Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 03-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #91
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Has anyone had any experiences with the Kumho Ku36's?

http://kumhotyres.businesscatalyst.com/pcrku36.htm

The price is good, wonder how well they wear.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #92
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a few guys on the XR5 forums use them on their focii... they are pretty sticky tyres, but they reckon they're noisy after about 10k...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #93
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

KU36 will wear quickly, they are pretty much a semi slick. 20K seams to be the going numbers for mileage, some guys even less.

Looking at that link, they have also gone up $80 a tyre, they used to be cheaper!
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #94
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
a few guys on the XR5 forums use them on their focii... they are pretty sticky tyres, but they reckon they're noisy after about 10k...
The possibility of noise has put me off, I'm getting 2 Re001's fitted Friday.

edit: added another quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
KU36 will wear quickly, they are pretty much a semi slick. 20K seams to be the going numbers for mileage, some guys even less.

Looking at that link, they have also gone up $80 a tyre, they used to be cheaper!
Another reason to stick with the Bridgestones, we've had good wear with them.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #95
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Yeah my RE001's have 27,000kms on them and they are only about 1/3rd worn at a guess.

Having said that, next tyre Im going with the KU36 or similar. Re001's aren't providing as much grip as I'd like anymore due to a bit more oomph...
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #96
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
aren't providing as much grip as I'd like anymore due to a bit more oomph...
mmmmm... bluefin goodness... :disco:

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #97
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Just a quick note to those running the 17's on their Zetec's & TDCI's. My original RE050A's are due for changing and I had planned to replace them with RE001's. Unfortunately, Bridgestone do not make the RE001 with the required 97 load rating (apparently they may have at one stage). Once I picked myself up from the floor when told the pricing on the RE050A's, I've settled for a Michelin alternative. Just be aware of the load rating guys - quite high on the Mondeo and insurance companies don't need much of an excuse........
Old 01-07-2010, 03:12 AM   #98
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Superoo. But the 16" OE tyres on my Mondeo have a load rating of 93, so why does the 17" need to be 97?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #99
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Superroo do you thing that they might have said that to sell the more expensive tyre? While unethetical it may be possible.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #100
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Superroo do you thing that they might have said that to sell the more expensive tyre? While unethetical it may be possible.
Load ratings for tyres is very important, the manufacturer of the car specifies a 'load rating' based on the tyre size etc. If you don't maintain the correct rating for speed and load your facing potential problems with insurance if the worst was to happen. Load ratings are like speed ratings, you may never drive at 210kph but the cars tyres still must meet the manufacturers original specs. That’s the law!!
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #101
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
Load ratings for tyres is very important, the manufacturer of the car specifies a 'load rating' based on the tyre size etc. If you don't maintain the correct rating for speed and load your facing potential problems with insurance if the worst was to happen. Load ratings are like speed ratings, you may never drive at 210kph but the cars tyres still must meet the manufacturers original specs. That’s the law!!
Absolutely right, but, dont the RE001's have the correct load rating??? or do load ratings change between model's even though the weight may or may not go up between models? so effectively a LX model could have a 102 rating, whilst an XR5, may weigh effectively the same, it needs a 107 rating??
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #102
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Absolutely right, but, dont the RE001's have the correct load rating??? or do load ratings change between model's even though the weight may or may not go up between models? so effectively a LX model could have a 102 rating, whilst an XR5, may weigh effectively the same, it needs a 107 rating??
The RE001's in 235/45/R17 are not manufactured with a load rating of 97 (only 94 I believe) so no go there. I do think different models can vary in load rating requirements as often higher models are fitted with larger wheels and the manufacturer will test on a type of tyre for handling/ride etc and decide on the load rating spec based on this.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #103
brucel
brucel

I am also looking at new tyres for my TDCI (235/45R17 97W). Why is it that the the tyre manufacturers list a 94 load rating when you search their websites for Mondeo MA TDCI tyres? The Goodyear Excellence tyres fitted as standard handle well but have become more noisier as they have worn and are expensive for what they are (rrp $273/tyre). Are non assymetrical tyres quieter or is the large footprint to blame?
brucel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 01:59 AM   #104
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The load rating of all 4 tyres should permit the maximum vehicle weight at the pressure stated by the manufacturer. As the load rating depends on the tyre and the pressure, then the maximum rated tyre pressure is also an important part of the equation. This may be why the 235/45-17 needs to be a XL tyre, whereas a standard 215/55-16 is OK.

If you search on the Internet, there are tables for tyre load and pressure.

I think the same is also true for speed rating, which is why higher pressures are specified for sustained high speed driving.
Old 13-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #105
piquetcon
Starter Motor

Its that time where I need new tyres for my XR5. Got 27,000km out of the Continentals, but not overallly happy with the cracking in the sidewalls.

Have been quoted $267 on Michelin Pilot Sports 3, $100 cheaper than RE001. Has anyone put these tyres on their XR5 or know anything about the Michelin's? Overseas reviews in Europe were good, but can't find any reviews out here.

Cheers
piquetcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #106
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say that's an excellent price for a PS3, and would definitely go for them at $100 less than the RE001. The Bridgestone might be quieter, but I'd expect the PS3 to be superior in most other ways.
Old 13-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #107
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Every driver I have had come in with Michelins fitted have never said a bad word about them.

I have never heard of a Michelin that is noisy either, from new through to worn out.

They are regarded as one of the best brands available.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #108
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Had a great run with Michelin MXL years ago ('80s), and have been using Yokohama A539 and then C-Drive on various things since.
Anyone have a comment on Yokohama S-Drive (Y-rated) for XR5?
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post