Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 23-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default 2 Questions MB XR5. Headlight protectors and Tint?

Hey Guys,

Had our MB for about 8 months now, great car but I need to know if anyone here has a set of headlight protectors fitted to their MB XR5? Ford doesnt make them but EGR do, but they cannot tell me if they will fit a car that has front washers?

Secondly when we bought the car I asked the dealer to tint it, but they refused to because it already has a factory tint, and if they were to tint it it would be then illegal? Does anyone here have their XR5 or possibly Titanium tinted?

cheers.

Brent

Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Re: 2 Questions MB XR5. Headlight protectors and Tint?

Don't know about the headlight protectors but I have my windows tinted, Etheridge had it done before I picked it up, its darker than normal due to the existing blueish tint but I haven’t had any issues with the law although it is quite dark at night but not dangerous.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
entheos

The glass is tinted at the factory but WITHIN the tint. You can either get your tinter to do a 40% tint to make it a total of about 35%, or you can just get normal 35% tint. we tint them all the time and even will tint as dark as a customer really wants to if they want to go darker. It's the Driver's responsibility regarding any defects, regardless of who owns the car. That said, tinting is a very very low risk issue when it comes to that.

Re: headlight protectors, I don't know of anyone running the headlight protectors, but if I see anyone with them I'll chat to them.
Old 23-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ive gone the Tint-a-car formula 1 for $395... He said it works well with the Mondeo's and gives you 50+ uv protection with a lifetime warranty.
Old 23-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Hey Guys,

Had our MB for about 8 months now, great car but I need to know if anyone here has a set of headlight protectors fitted to their MB XR5? Ford doesnt make them but EGR do, but they cannot tell me if they will fit a car that has front washers?

Brent
Why would you want front headlight protectors they are made out of polycarbonate and are up to 10 times more impact-resistant than plastic or glass headlights.

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
Dusty1
Giddy up!

There's a guy on here who has done over 150k and he doesn't use headlight protectors, and hasn't had a break.

A new headlight would be about $800 (probably more) so they are pricey, and Id be more likely to leave them as they are and wory about it if or when it happens.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My last Mondeo had a 35% tint and was too dark in poor light. I had 40% tint applied to the new one and it's fine.

Oh, and get Huper Optik ceramic. It will cost more and is probably hard to find but is very effective at blocking IR and keeping the car cool. Plus it's very clear to look through - you wouldn't even know there was a tint applied.
Old 25-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
Why would you want front headlight protectors they are made out of polycarbonate and are up to 10 times more impact-resistant than plastic or glass headlights.
totally agree. and besides that, you need to be able to wash them with the squirters. any dust that gets between them and the headlight will refract (?) the light and could make it shine in oncoming drivers eyes (the reason why we have squirters).

as for tint, i found that it is very difficult to see out of the rear window with the rearview mirror at night due to the way it auto adjusts to reduce glare... but with the amount of glass in the mondy, you need to have it tinted as dark as you can legally get away with imho...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Country roads pit them boys.. Just because they are polycarb doesn't mean they dont chip and get damaged. After 12 months in our VE Calais without protectors the lights were badly pitted, when ever you turned them on you could see all the little chips. This car hasnt done any highway work yet but will be! I got a set of EGR protectors for $60 bucks from the local dealer, just gotta wait to get the car back thisarvo to see if they fit properly, I think they will... but no one can give me a definate answer!

The tint has me worried, ill talk to the tint shop next friday when its booked in to be done, I don't want it too dark...

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 25-03-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 25-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Country roads pit them boys.. Just because they are polycarb doesn't mean they dont chip and get damaged. After 12 months in our VE Calais without protectors the lights were badly pitted, when ever you turned them on you could see all the little chips. This car hasnt done any highway work yet but will be! I got a set of EGR protectors for $60 bucks from the local dealer, just gotta wait to get the car back thisarvo to see if they fit properly, I think they will... but no one can give me a definate answer!
Mate, that's just another example of Holden quality. I did more than 50,000 kms in my last Mondeo, mostly out of the city, and there wasn't a mark on the headlights when I sold it.
Old 25-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #11
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've done 40k in 12 months. there's not a chip in mine yet and that's driving it on country roads a lot and over many gravel and dirt roads too...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
Old 26-03-2011, 05:51 AM   #12
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The tint has me worried, ill talk to the tint shop next friday when its booked in to be done, I don't want it too dark...
What colour is the factory tint?
Old 26-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Mondo_braody said : i found that it is very difficult to see out of the rear window with the rearview mirror at night due to the way it auto adjusts to reduce glare...

I have the reverse problem - no tint but the daytime headlights and DRLs are annoying. Only way to avoid glare is to move the mirror manually (then can't see out). Big step backwards to 1970 (See other grumble thread).
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #14
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
What colour is the factory tint?
comes standard with a slight blue-ish tint. not very dark at all.

Old 24-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #15
vunny
Starter Motor

Great thread. I was looking for tint advice too for my MB XR5. Thanks everyone for the input.
vunny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post