Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #31
Trevor 57
is now there

Default Re: New 40 km speed limit NSW when blue & red lights are flashing on roadside

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
What was the reason for this law ? Don't remember any ambos etc being killed ?
A police officer was killed on the Hume Highway near Benalla a few years ago, Rennie Page was his name. One death is one too many, one near miss is just a millimeter away from being a death - what is your rush? Can't afford to loose 30 seconds of your trip? Put yourself in their place. I have worked as a volunteer emergency service responder and I can tell you it ain't fun out there

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-04-2...ticket/1558384

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-04-2...by-car/1558504
Old 03-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #32
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New 40 km speed limit NSW when blue & red lights are flashing on roadside

There have been many injuries and even more near misses involving emergency service workers and civilians.
The red or blue lights mean there's an issue which may require you to even stop.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #33
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
There have been many injuries and even more near misses involving emergency service workers and civilians.
The red or blue lights mean there's an issue which may require you to even stop.
Yep a reasonably simple concept I would have thought, I instinctively slow down anyway when I see flashing lights just out of consideration to those trying to do their job.

Its not a nice feeling to be almost cleaned up by an idiot motorist gawking at the accident scene your trying to work at, I learnt very early on to never turn your back to traffic if you can help it.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #34
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

If safety is the issue then it should also extend to all road side activities. I mean at least emergency services have light flashing to alert people, most civilians only have hazard lights and inexperience around safe exit out of a car and dealing with the issue on the side of the road.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:48 PM   #35
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Most people slow down anyway to have a look . What was the reason for this law ? Don't remember any ambos etc being killed ?
Yes...thank goodness. But I've come close to being cleaned up while attending to a patient at an RTC...close to you by the way.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #36
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
If safety is the issue then it should also extend to all road side activities. I mean at least emergency services have light flashing to alert people, most civilians only have hazard lights and inexperience around safe exit out of a car and dealing with the issue on the side of the road.
there is a discussion around extending it to orange flashing lights as well, I think W.A. may have already gone there
Old 03-09-2018, 07:46 PM   #37
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev View Post
A police officer was killed on the Hume Highway near Benalla a few years ago, Rennie Page was his name. One death is one too many, one near miss is just a millimeter away from being a death - what is your rush? Can't afford to loose 30 seconds of your trip? Put yourself in their place. I have worked as a volunteer emergency service responder and I can tell you it ain't fun out there

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-04-2...ticket/1558384

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-04-2...by-car/1558504
No one cares about tow truck drivers or NRMA or anyone assisting with broken down cars?
A tow truck driver and civilian were killed few years ago on a NSW highway, so why doesn't the law apply to them as well? Do their lives not matter because the colour of their vehicle lights is wrong?
I guess police won't be around to issues fines at broken down cars so why make a road law that won't make revenue.

I have no issue slowing for actual incidents. I do that already without any law telling me I have to. Sometimes I slow to 20, sometimes 60, sometimes 40. It's pretty easy to drive to the conditions. A police traffic stop is not set in stone. If the police feel unsafe why can't they move the stop to a safer place?
It has already been reported that highway patrol have been sitting with lights flashing and not another vehicle or incident in sight. It's probably the same HP officer that sits on the side of the road with his right wheels sitting on the line between the shoulder and left lane on the highway, then fines people for failing to keep left when they move into the right lane to give him some breathing space.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2018, 08:59 PM   #38
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how many kents in here would love random dudes flying past them in their workplace cranking 60, 80, 100...?
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #39
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
how many kents in here would love random dudes flying past them in their workplace cranking 60, 80, 100...?
How many would whinge if a paramedic refused to try to save a family member or friend etc, until the area was 'safe'??

Or a firey refusing to work until the area was safe?

It's really not that difficult to slow down. If you can't stop within your line of sight perhaps you aren't driving to the conditions.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:21 PM   #40
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
How many would whinge if a paramedic refused to try to save a family member or friend etc, until the area was 'safe'??

Or a firey refusing to work until the area was safe?

It's really not that difficult to slow down. If you can't stop within your line of sight perhaps you aren't driving to the conditions.
ease up mate, everyones busy bashing po po in this thread
3 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2018, 09:48 PM   #41
prydey
Rob

Quote:
ease up mate, everyones busy bashing po po in this thread
Some of the boys in blue earn their reputation, but they would be minority. You couldn't pay me enough to deal with what they have to deal with.

We're all human beings sharing the same planet. Life is precious. Some people need to slow down and smell the roses so to speak.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:57 AM   #42
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
there is a discussion around extending it to orange flashing lights as well, I think W.A. may have already gone there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
No one cares about tow truck drivers or NRMA or anyone assisting with broken down cars?
A tow truck driver and civilian were killed few years ago on a NSW highway, so why doesn't the law apply to them as well? Do their lives not matter because the colour of their vehicle lights is wrong?
I guess police won't be around to issues fines at broken down cars so why make a road law that won't make revenue.

I have no issue slowing for actual incidents. I do that already without any law telling me I have to. Sometimes I slow to 20, sometimes 60, sometimes 40. It's pretty easy to drive to the conditions. A police traffic stop is not set in stone. If the police feel unsafe why can't they move the stop to a safer place?
this post was above yours, I am not sure if you saw it

Quote:
If the police feel unsafe why can't they move the stop to a safer place?
It has already been reported that highway patrol have been sitting with lights flashing and not another vehicle or incident in sight. It's probably the same HP officer that sits on the side of the road with his right wheels sitting on the line between the shoulder and left lane on the highway, then fines people for failing to keep left when they move into the right lane to give him some breathing space.
it is all a big ploy to get your money - really????? Am I misreading this part of your post?
Old 04-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #43
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
this post was above yours, I am not sure if you saw it

it is all a big ploy to get your money - really????? Am I misreading this part of your post?

No, the intentions are good. Emergency service people and people assisting with broken down vehicles should be safe. No one is arguing that.

Problem is some certain police cannot be trusted and will abuse this to get their 5 fines an hour.
That might not be an official quota, but I have heard off a HP officer that his supervisor brings people in who don't write enough tickets and says they should be writing 5 an hour.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #44
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fine is excessive just an excuse revenue raising. Example of motorists being used as cash cows.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #45
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Anyone that jumps on the forklift at work seems to take it as a personal challenge to do just that.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2018, 11:16 PM   #46
.:4:.
Kicking back

I can understand the reasoning behind the thing. Everybody has a job and you should be able to go home in the same shape as when you arrived at work. I dont know how enforcible the law can be. Kind of like indicating out of roundabouts. Didnt have to do it when i got my licence and never have. Never seen a police car do it either. Over the years on occasion working in car parks doing the right thing blocking off sections with bollards and caution tape and going extra with parking the ute with hazzards on and the orange strobe ive still had to get into the arguements with imbosiles who drive around the car and through the bollards and go me for the damage to their cars. I shut them down really quick. Im not polite about it either. There is a lot of feux safety out there but some things genuinely look out for people.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2018, 07:06 AM   #47
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
That might not be an official quota, but I have heard off a HP officer that his supervisor brings people in who don't write enough tickets and says they should be writing 5 an hour.
There is an active Vict HP policeman who posts regularly on another forum on which I post, he is quite clear when he says that he approaches it with 'common sense', he states he has no such quota to work to, he will book obvious breaches if he has time, he says if people are making a genuine attempt then he will let it be
Old 05-09-2018, 07:08 AM   #48
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
The fine is excessive just an excuse revenue raising. Example of motorists being used as cash cows.
I bet you are one who demands a 'safe workplace' but it appears you are denying others the same privilege

Do Australia a favour and go and join a volunteer emergency service and attend some road accidents and put yourself in harms way, just as you think others should

Sheeeesh, some people can't spare the odd 10 seconds here and there to help keep someone safe at work
Old 05-09-2018, 08:29 AM   #49
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Drag strip marshalls?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #50
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Drag strip marshalls?
Used to happen all the time when I was (circuit) race car officialling - but there was always more than one of us at a clean up scene, and some had the role to cover our butts while we worked
Old 05-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #51
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Yep a reasonably simple concept I would have thought, I instinctively slow down anyway when I see flashing lights just out of consideration to those trying to do their job.

Its not a nice feeling to be almost cleaned up by an idiot motorist gawking at the accident scene your trying to work at, I learnt very early on to never turn your back to traffic if you can help it.
Plenty of people holding the stop sign have been hit by twerps driving slow as well that I know of.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #52
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know there are probably enforcement issues, but .....

As with School zones, I believe the law should be "30kph below the surrounding speed limit, or 40kph whichever is faster"

40kph on some country 100/110 zones could be very hard/unsafe around a blind corner.

Interestingly, the lights may be off by the time the emergency vehicle is in your line of sight, but there could be cars in front that already slowed down.

I wonder how that law would/should apply to slow emergency patient transport with flashing lights - have come across this several times - delicate patient being transferred I guess. Eg patient transport ambulance is 50kph in 100 zone with three lanes
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #53
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
40kph on some country 100/110 zones could be very hard/unsafe around a blind corner.
so don't do 100/110 around a blind corner....

replace 'flashing lights' with fallen tree, accident, wildlife or any other road hazard and you'll be heading straight to the scene of your own accident, regardless of any legislation.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #54
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's easy to say only drive as far as your stopping distance allows. we take a calculated risk that there shouldn't be an obstacle around the corner.

how many people slow at an intersection with a green light and check both ways for cars running a red? virtually nobody.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-09-2018, 07:51 PM   #55
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
it's easy to say only drive as far as your stopping distance allows. we take a calculated risk that there shouldn't be an obstacle around the corner.

how many people slow at an intersection with a green light and check both ways for cars running a red? virtually nobody.
dudes on motorbikes?
Old 06-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #56
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think some people have missed the most important thing with this rule.
The reckless idiots who crash into emergency vehicles and run people over won't be slowing to 40 anyway.
The average law abiding people will be paying fines while the idiots on the road will continue killing people.

Quote:
There is an active Vict HP policeman who posts regularly on another forum on which I post, he is quite clear when he says that he approaches it with 'common sense', he states he has no such quota to work to, he will book obvious breaches if he has time, he says if people are making a genuine attempt then he will let it be
I'm glad there are people out their like that. I work with two ex cops. Neither were highway patrol but I have spoke to them about traffic related issues and they are both level headed and apply common sense to road rules.

I have also heard stories of local unmarked highway patrol driving 1 metre from the rear bumper of P platers late at night following them move for move then pull them over and take their licence off them as soon as they make the smallest mistake while being intimidated.

What I want to know is if I see emergency vehicle and I brake but a cop pings me doing 71 in a 110 will I lose my licence for 3 months since that is the mandatory suspension for speeding over 30km/h in NSW?
If the 'not slowing to 40' fine is a stand alone fine I'd be annoyed but I could handle that, a mandatory lose of licence is what I wouldn't be happy about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post

What do you mean? most commenters on DashCam Owners Australia Facebook page stop at green lights and treat them as a giveaway signs apparently.

Last edited by Ben73; 06-09-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:11 PM   #57
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think some people have missed the most important thing with this rule.
The reckless idiots who crash into emergency vehicles and run people over won't be slowing to 40 anyway.
The average law abiding people will be paying fines while the idiots on the road will continue killing people.

I'm glad there are people out their like that. I work with two ex cops. Neither were highway patrol but I have spoke to them about traffic related issues and they are both level headed and apply common sense to road rules.

I have also heard stories of local unmarked highway patrol driving 1 metre from the rear bumper of P platers late at night following them move for move then pull them over and take their licence off them as soon as they make the smallest mistake while being intimidated.

What I want to know is if I see emergency vehicle and I brake but a cop pings me doing 71 in a 110 will I lose my licence for 3 months since that is the mandatory suspension for speeding over 30km/h in NSW?
If the 'not slowing to 40' fine is a stand alone fine I'd be annoyed but I could handle that, a mandatory lose of licence is what I wouldn't be happy about.

What do you mean? most commenters on DashCam Owners Australia Facebook page stop at green lights and treat them as a giveaway signs apparently.
ffs

we have had this law / rule / whatever in SA for 10 -15 years now??

its no big deal

deal with it
4 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #58
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Since this law was passed in Victoria last year I reckon I've seen only a couple of vehicles slow to 40 on a freeway where HWP was stopping someone for a traffic violation.(which is so rare now) Most just moves over to the fast lane and maintain their speed. According to all our local papers here even the HWP still aren't happy about this law.
I'm sorry but I don't see a traffic stop on a freeway as a emergency especially as there is plenty of places for the cop to guide the culprit off the breakdown lanes. (that is until see below)
Accidents or fire on the other hand are totally different, which any normal common sense driver would slow down for anyway.
Just staying.

Just a thought I wonder if they introduced this law to correspond with these new so called safety fencing they have been installing all along the freeways.

Yes, I do slow to 40 but I brace myself ready for the rear shunt.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #59
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

The SARAH group has been pushing for this law for some time, whilst not fully across all responders to incidents ie towies. Peter Frazers story about losing his daughter will put some perspective on why we need this law in place.
https://www.sarahgroup.org/
Visit the website and have a read.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #60
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Still don't know why it is a rule only for emergency vehicles.
IF it is such a safety issue then it should extend to ALL road side activities - emergency vehicles, tow truck and the general public changing a tyre, etc.

Really is poor form if there is a risk but is only mitigated for one group.
Either it is a threat to all road users or none.