Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-12-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
yella_rangie

Default straight cut timing gears

hey all. im new to this forum. but i am the proud owner of a range rover ute fitted with a 302 windsor! i am chasing a set of straight cut timing gears for this engine. can anyone tell me where i can get some? cheers

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 09:27 PM   #2
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Why would u want t. They r noisy ,and woudnt warrarant it unless it is a hi po motor!!!
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 10:18 PM   #3
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Why would u want t. They r noisy ,and woudnt warrarant it unless it is a hi po motor!!!
What he said!!!!!
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 01:10 AM   #4
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Rollmaster timing chain...$85.00
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 01:41 AM   #5
BTTB
Free XD

bloody helpful lot you are LOL

try here mate

http://www.jp.com.au/GearDrives.html

Contact Information

You can contact JP Performance in the following ways:

25-31 Innes Rd
Windsor Gardens
South Australia 5087
Australia

PO Box 21
Greenacres SA 5086
Australia

Phone: +61 (0)8 8261 7222
Fax: +61 (0)8 8261 9171
email: pistons@jp.com.au
BTTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 01:55 AM   #6
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Hmmm. anyone who actually want their motor to make horsepower and survive for more than a few months runs timing chains. Straight cut timing gears are a load of w@nk. They set up resonant vibrations in the valve train, and don't hold consistant valve timings (and hence affect the dizzy given its cam driven, and the oil pump), and because of the variations in valve events and spark timing, they don't gain any power (*And* they're not stronger)
Old 01-01-2006, 02:48 AM   #7
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

I'm so glad that everyone here has so much help to offer.

If the man wants gears then he wants gears.

So they're noisy? Maybe he likes the whistle. I know I do.
So they don't offer much power? Maybe power isn't what he's after.

Well done to everyone for offering your wisdom, it's good to see you all know how to use a keyboard. But if someone asks for help on something specific such as this, I think you'll find that secretly, deep down, that's actually what they're after. Not the exact opposite. Imagine that, huh! Who would have thunk it?

yella_rangie - I was looking for these gears for a mate just last week. He wants them for a Chev. I looked on eBay and there was one up there. You could check there, I guess.

Either that or EFGTHO's information is probably as good as any other you'll find.

Good luck.

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 03:13 AM   #8
Gammaboy

oh, I forgot to mention, theres more than a couple of guys on the old .com forums who've had engine failures caused by the straight cuts.
So yeah, if having a noisy, unreliable, poor performing engine is your thing, go for it.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:01 AM   #9
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

www.vpw.com.au
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 01-01-2006, 04:15 AM   #10
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

http://www.rocketindustries.com.au/d...?partno=ED7892
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 01-01-2006, 12:02 PM   #11
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have decided to go chain in my engine build and you can buy mine as i got the gear drive brand new and its still in the box of parts i have in workshop.send me an email
cheers Nick
nick61@in.com.au
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 12:03 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

A mate at work's Clevo ended up with a sump full of metal shavings from a chewed up cam because of a broken tooth off the straight cut gears. A timing chain is so much better.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 12:08 PM   #13
yella_rangie

hrmmm..well thanks to those who offered me their personal opinions....i am a new user to this forum and all i wanted to know was where to get them. i am not after power but the engine i have has been extensively worked and i do like the whistle they make. thanks for the links and info on where to get these...

cheers
Old 01-01-2006, 12:48 PM   #14
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

if you want a nice noise, go for a gilmer belt drive for your water pump and alternator, and do it up nice and tight
Qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 01:49 PM   #15
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I had a set of "Pete Jackson" gears in my XRGT (Tunnel rammed 289) and the noise drove me bonkers!... Ok, you get the nice "whistle" under load, but a rattle similar to a tin bucket full of nuts & bolts on back off and at idle!.. Just not worth the bucks.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #16
Psycho Chicken
Banned

There's a guy who is a member here (he mainly posts on another forum though) who had a rather expensive engine failure. Load from the gear drive caused the pin on the camshaft to shear off. I'm sure the rest explains itself. And that was a fresh engine being run in!
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 12:05 PM   #17
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I have a miloden straight cut gear drive in my 460It is a fixed idler not a floating set up, so it does not rattle as much as some of the floaters.
The motor turns to 7000 rpm and makes upwards of over 600 hp and the timing is always consistant
The motor has had them in for 13 years.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 12:21 PM   #18
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
I have a miloden straight cut gear drive in my 460It is a fixed idler not a floating set up, so it does not rattle as much as some of the floaters.
The motor turns to 7000 rpm and makes upwards of over 600 hp and the timing is always consistant
The motor has had them in for 13 years.
Yep, non-floating idlers are the go!.. downside is, either a special timing cover is required, or the block machined to take the idler spigot stubs.
I still maintain that HP gains compared to $$ is extremely minimal, AND cam timing (though more positive than a chain) can still vary 1/2 a degree or so either way with gear backlash.
Probably the most positive & accurate drive is a toothed belt.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 12:24 PM   #19
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

If i remember correctly I only had to modify the timing case

Old 02-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #20
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have fitted a few sets on windsors and they just sit the idler between the block and the case, you just have to be careful to get the right clearance.

Old 02-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #21
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
There's a guy who is a member here (he mainly posts on another forum though) who had a rather expensive engine failure. Load from the gear drive caused the pin on the camshaft to shear off. I'm sure the rest explains itself. And that was a fresh engine being run in!
I had that happen to me in a mild cleveland motor and i was using a chain after fixing the pin it then broke that part of the cam where the gear bolt scews into the cam shaft thank god it was under load when they both broke off. Chains or greas thing will brake.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #22
Stampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
oh, I forgot to mention, theres more than a couple of guys on the old .com forums who've had engine failures caused by the straight cuts.
So yeah, if having a noisy, unreliable, poor performing engine is your thing, go for it.

I'm old and always though they were the bee's Knee's back in my day, but never got to use them , But if gammaboy don't like em ,don't use them as he knows and if it was me i would believe (this is not sarcastic)
Old 04-01-2006, 06:12 PM   #23
Gammaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy
I'm old and always though they were the bee's Knee's back in my day, but never got to use them , But if gammaboy don't like em ,don't use them as he knows and if it was me i would believe (this is not sarcastic)
Awww. Shucks.
There's a tonne of stuff I don't know. and I've never personally run gear drives, but i've heard enough horror stories about them and looking at it from a engineering viewpoint the failures make sense... I can remember them being really popular in the mid eighties, especially with the bow-tie brigade.
I'm sure Ratter is onto something with the non floating type gear drives, but from an engineering viewpoint for me its always going to go Double roller chain (with torringtons!)>Toothed Belt (replaced every 60,000miles or less!)> Hyvo chain> geardrive.
Coming from a substantial time around Alfas though, I'm not 100% sold on belt drives.... saw too many skipped teeth (Big hint, don't roll a belt timed car backwards while in gear) and bent valves on well maintained cars.

I spose they do sound tough in an Eighties mullet and stonewash denims kinda way :P
Old 02-02-2006, 07:20 PM   #24
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

I have had a pair of floating gear drives in a 351 for over 10 years, which has been turned into a 378 storker a few years ago and have never had any problems with them. The noise they make are depending on how you install them. The only issue is when your trying to tune the car, its hard to hear over the noise they make. I couldnt hear the whinning of the 9" diff in a coupe a few years ago because of the gear drive in it at the time.
All my XA's have gear drives in them, sound really tough, cops look but dont bother me with them
djjase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post