Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #631
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2014 Falcon Sneek Peak

Whether we like it or not the the large Oz car has an old man's and lair's image.
Ford are now fighting for the tech savvy yuppies and see promotion of the Falcon as being a waste of funds better spent elsewhere.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #632
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist View Post
Indeed; although disturbingly, the side DLO has been photoshopped from a VE Commodore and not the FG...
thats what i thought as well. massive fail
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #633
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For those doubting the appearance of the FH Falcon all I can say is that it would be a move bordering on insanity to come out and announce the return of the Xr8 had they not committed 100% to it. They could've easily just announced the demise of FPV. I doubt even Ford would pull the pin on the new Falcon this far down the track barring a catastrophic sales slump. Seeing it through to Oct 2016 is an entirely different argument
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #634
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookaradley View Post
For those doubting the appearance of the FH Falcon all I can say is that it would be a move bordering on insanity to come out and announce the return of the Xr8 had they not committed 100% to it. They could've easily just announced the demise of FPV. I doubt even Ford would pull the pin on the new Falcon this far down the track barring a catastrophic sales slump. Seeing it through to Oct 2016 is an entirely different argument
whilst i do think the next falcon is a certainty, i don't think it would be too difficult to remove the GS badges, and add XR8 badges. XR8 never really went anywhere.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #635
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

That new Fusion/Mondeo is a fine looking car!
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #636
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
whilst i do think the next falcon is a certainty, i don't think it would be too difficult to remove the GS badges, and add XR8 badges. XR8 never really went anywhere.
Providing they they do a decent job of it, and increase the driving dynamics by dialing up the Kws from the GS 315 (335kw+?) and with at least reasonably decent brakes (increased Rotor size to 335-355 mm F & 330 mm R ?) - even if the rears are the 228mm's from the BF XR8/Teritory.
(the reason the NSW Highway Patrol regected the FG XR8 - which had the same brakes as the current GS, was due to poor & unacceptable braking - which is why all current XR6Turbo HWP Cars are fitted by Ford with Brembos)
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #637
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle View Post
(the reason the NSW Highway Patrol regected the FG XR8 - which had the same brakes as the current GS, was due to poor & unacceptable braking - which is why all current XR6Turbo HWP Cars are fitted by Ford with Brembos)
you know that doesn't make sense. if they are fitting the brembo's to the xr6t, surely they could have done the same exercise with the xr8. i would say its possible it was a factor, but hardly the only factor.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #638
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
you know that doesn't make sense. if they are fitting the brembo's to the xr6t, surely they could have done the same exercise with the xr8. i would say its possible it was a factor, but hardly the only factor.
It was the only factor.

The FG XR8 was unfortunateluy discontinued by Ford before the NSW Police purchased any Falcons (FG XR6Ts) for the HWP use.

The 290kw XR8 was the original car of choice, however it failed the brake test in evaluation. Some time after the XR8 was discontinued by Ford, Ford finally relented and an agreement was reached whereby Ford would supply the XR6T to the NSW Police as a HWP car - on the condition it was equiped with Brembos.
The 322mm F & Standard rears were demonstrably inefective as performance brakes. Ford lost an opportunity to add credibility to the XR8, and after many lost potential sales and lost street credibility, agreed to bespoke the remaining XR6T with Brembos for HWP use only - which was the only impedament up until then.

Last edited by stevefreestyle; 18-11-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 18-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #639
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I heard years back the NSW HWP simply had a winge that whilst the BF's were supposed to have the full Territory brakes (i think some got the standard rears) the FG's officially only had the 303 rears. You'd think with the same 322mm rotor/twin pot C4 caliper the brake tests would perform much the same with such a high percentage of braking effort done by the front brakes.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #640
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
I heard years back the NSW HWP simply had a winge that whilst the BF's were supposed to have the full Territory brakes (i think some got the standard rears) the FG's officially only had the 303 rears. You'd think with the same 322mm rotor/twin pot C4 caliper the brake tests would perform much the same with such a high percentage of braking effort done by the front brakes.
You are correct that the XR8 & XR6T FG Rears were the std 303mm rotors. The previous BF XR8 & XR6T had the Territory 328mm rears.

My old (Ex HWP) BA XR8 had Groved 325mm F and Groved 303mm rears with SS Braided Brake lines & HD Master Cylinder - a slightly superior brake pkg to the FG XR8/6T.
Old 19-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #641
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

That sounds like the old premium brake upgrade that had the C5/6 style caliper. Its a pity they discontinued that option as with the bigger piston caliper and thicker rotors they performed closer to the Brembo's than the Territory brakes did.
Old 19-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #642
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
That sounds like the old premium brake upgrade that had the C5/6 style caliper. Its a pity they discontinued that option as with the bigger piston caliper and thicker rotors they performed closer to the Brembo's than the Territory brakes did.
Spot on FPV. BTW I still have the car...and as Maxwell Smart would say..."and loving it!"
Old 20-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #643
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Brembo's only came about this year. No XR8 to fit it too.
Old 20-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #644
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Brembo's only came about this year. No XR8 to fit it too.
They have been fitting Brembos to XR6T's since late 09 for NSW.

Only difference is they weren't fitted on the main line, they were sent over to FPV with all the other police spec cars for final treatment.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #645
blk6t

Interesting though, I don't rate Holden brakes at all. My old BF XR8 stopped much better than my old VE SSV.

Do the NSW HP run standard Holden brakes on the SS?
Old 20-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #646
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
They have been fitting Brembos to XR6T's since late 09 for NSW.

Only difference is they weren't fitted on the main line, they were sent over to FPV with all the other police spec cars for final treatment.
Must have been a change in parts as there was a hold up earlier this year due to brakes IIRC.
Old 28-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #647
pearlhead

Nearly the end of the year and yet still no news regarding the Falcon or it's unveiling. My heart is already racing.
pearlhead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #648
martyal44
2010 G6E

Go to ford.com, (the US site) look up models, see 'fusion' and there you have it.
martyal44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #649
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FUSION is Mondeo
Old 28-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #650
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
FUSION is Mondeo
^^^and in oversupply in the US at the moment. (Automotive News)

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #651
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

And still an undersupply in/from Europe..? I.E. is it still not released because of plant closures etc

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #652
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets be radical and we change to driving on the left!!! Then we can get cars from USA !!!
Old 28-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #653
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Lets be radical and we change to driving on the left!!! Then we can get cars from USA !!!
You mean drive on the right. No. We don't need to be like America, we drive on the left and that is it. After all, Australian motorists have trouble dealing with merging and roundabouts, how the hell will they manage changing to the other side of the road!

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

3 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #654
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

You can personally go and flip around every road sign and traffic light in the country then.
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #655
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
And still an undersupply in/from Europe..? I.E. is it still not released because of plant closures etc
I think 2014 is still the plan, can't remember though if it was always going to be 2014 though.
Old 28-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #656
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
You mean drive on the right. No. We don't need to be like America, we drive on the left and that is it. After all, Australian motorists have trouble dealing with merging and roundabouts, how the hell will they manage changing to the other side of the road!
On the positive side, sales of new cars would pick up as cars would be getting written off every fortnight or so.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #657
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

A front shot of the previous camoed car...no brass tag on numberplate though...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #658
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

How bizarre.

Is that a Kia badge or a Ford badge??

Could Toyota or GM be testing another maker's car for comparative purposes??

Old 29-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #659
Kayos
Lag = hang onto something

That looks tiny, ugly and FWD... next!

Some previous rides: Ef mont, RX7tt series VI, BM coupes, TE50, BA ghia, BA XR6t

Current rides: G6E blk/Cshmr, Chrysler by Chrysler no.1, Chrysler by Chrysler no.2
Kayos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #660
stevz
Banned

The grille reminds me of an air conditioniong vent.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post